Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seven(ish) Deadly Sins

Theophenes

Stark raving silly
Hey kids. Everyone's unknown nerd, former judge and occasional smart-aleck, Theo. I'm here today to talk about evil. You see, evil can be thought of as a lot of things. Evil intent, evil motivation, evil action, or even cosmic, physically tnagible evil (the dark side is arguably an example of evil as a physical force.) But today, I'm going to try and outline some examples of how evil is written based on a old western theological construction, of the seven "mortal" or "deadly" sins.

Now, as a full disclaimer, this is my own extrapolation based on the use of these form a literary standpoint. I'm not Catholic, I'm not an authority on papal teaching, and the codification used here has its origins in history that I am only marginally well-read on. Also, this is just one way to think of writing evil--there are plenty of others. So, let's start with a list:

• Pride
  • Greed
  • Lust
  • Gluttony
  • Wrath
  • Sloth
  • Sorrow/Despair/Despondency
  • Vainglory
  • Envy

You will notice that there are nine, not seven. It's worth noting that Vainglory was merged with pride, sorrow was merged with sloth, and envy was added to the list later durign its codification by Pope Gregory. I'm including them anyway.

Pride
Pride is arguably the most written-about and frequent of the sins. It is one of the most frequently mentioned in the bible (most notably attributed to Satan himself in Revelation and Ezekiel) and frequently leads to conflict. Pride makes for a straightforward reason to move empathy--it's easy to treat others wickedly when you think you're better, and think you deserve to do so.

On this site, pride comes from many things. Force-users have pride in their power, nobles have pride in their lineage, and some families have pride in both (Looking at you, [member="Darth Vornskr"]). There are entire species in this continuity with massive egos as a cultural ideal--Hutts, Columi, Arkanians and others I don't recall the name of. The Sith tend to teach a certain level of pride, but only honest pride--you can gloat when you've proven it. In a galaxy where many believe that might makes right, Pride allows one to create standards, real or imagined, and then hold oneself and others to them. Speciesism and Xenophobia are various weaknesses of the proud villain. However, other forms of Chauvinism, such as biases regarding class or sex, are frequently also good examples of this. Other Proud villains are more rational, but will hold to a code even if it limits them. If the forces of darkness have things they wouldn't stoop to, it is pride that makes it so.

On the lighter side, pride can be good. It can feed honor, and civility, and even a certain level of noble dignity. It provide a social conscience, cognizant of what others do and desire. It can provide a spirit of of independent achievement. Pride can be a rugged individualist. However, Pride tends to stand alone, and must learn some level of humility to get along with others. The proud can often find themselves standing alone on account of their egos.

My favorite example on the site of Pride is probably [member="Gerion Ardik"]. Even the playby used there feels so intensely egocentric as to suck up the air in the room. He's not one of the most powerful monsters on this site, but he is the exact kind of egotistical, scheming jerk you love to hate. A good villain with Pride is someone you can't and won't ignore.

Greed

Greed is another oft-written about sin, and fairly easy to think of. Ebenezer Scrooge, a Bank Robber, Gordon Gecko, Gene Simmons, Wilson Fisk, roughly half of Shadowrun villains, and most bad guys from Scooby Doo. They all want more. Money, power, territory, control. Everyone wants something. But to want it so bad you'll do whatever it takes to get it, whether from desperation or excess, is the mark of greed. To have a desire for more, and excess, regardless of prudence or conscience, is the work of the greedy.

Villains driven by Greed aren't usually compassionate, and tend to be amazingly self-centered. While pride may instill a sense of duty or honor, greed is usually a more pragmatic vice. The Greedy are often the type to seize advantages, and greedy is often synonymous with opportunistic. A greedy person is prone to a rather frank and business-like sort of loyalty. Greedy people aren't always dumb enough to ignore long-term for short-term, but they tend to focus on gains. Impatient greedy people may snatch opportunities that later bite them in the neck. You can be a patient schemer like a Hutt a greedy thug willing to jump hip when soemthign better comes around, but greed looks out for number one, even more so than Pride. The pirate with no flag and the Hutt with a whole mob behind him both want the Jade Pygmy Shrew of Tattooine, both to sate their greed.

It is worth noting that both the poor and the rich can succumb to greed. The rich greedy villains want more of what they have. The poor greedy often have a history of deprivation, and view their greed as as survival instinct. Greed can seem like prudence. It can seem wise and shrewd. It is a confident whispering in the ear of its victims. It tempts subtly, letting people confuse desire for need and vice versa.

A great example of greed around here is often used in the discussion of corporate hegemons and crime bosses. Gambling, slave trade, spice smuggling--greed is the sin that will galdly enable every other vice and virtue, for a price.

Anyhow, that's it for now. I'll write more later. Toodles!

[member="Theophenes"]

Interesting.

Food for thought: cabalism believes in duality. Put one way, good and evil are not at war but in a dance. Evil and good, two trees of light and dark interwoven in perfect symmetry.

Within their thought, a vice and a virtue are not opposed and an excess of a virtue can turn into a vice. (e.g: thriftiness can become greed like Scrooge. Love among lovers consumates to lust. And so on). It's not good or bad as long as you do no harm. That's kinda what I live by personally. This is my code personafied by studying a variety of religions and such:

First do no harm
Love your neighbor as yourself
Peace hope and love conqure all.
Take of others before yourself.

Just food for thought. Cheers.

I believe evil is a point of view.

As a Pagan, what Christians did to us throughout history (The Burning Times, The Inquisition, The Malleus Maleficarum, and so forth) would be considered evil.

To Muslims, the Crusades would be considered evil.

I'm not knocking Christianity by any means, most of my good friends are Christians.

Now to the topic at hand, the Deadly Sins:

Each of those sins mentioned never appeared in the bible (old testament or new testament) but like all good books (turned into movies) things where added or emitted.

Example: "Forgive them Father, for my condemners know not what they do" --- Jesus.

Those words where directed to the Jewish prosecutors that put that mortal man on a crooked tree. Later, it was changed to represent the Romans.

Example: "Tonight I sit amongst a traitor" --- Jesus

Those words where intended to the Jewish Hierarchy that sold him out, but was later added to mean Judas.

Now to the deadly sins, Jesus broke every one of those sins mentioned, however, the Romans (creators of the Catholic Religion and publisher of the Bible) omitted those teachings/writings from the book "that has sold over a million copies" to protect their beliefs. Hint, Hint ---- Dead Sea Scrolls (which are deemed heresy by the Church / Christians).

Now as a Pagan, the only deadly sin I think is wrong is Wrath....."Merry we meet....Merry we Part"

And FYI......Male witches ARE NOT warlocks but witches. The term Warlock means betrayer which was used during the Salem Witch Trials to show those goody two shoes that Pagans / Witches are so quick to turn on one another.

Another FYI.....I love Ben Hur :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom