Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Settle

"Yes, ma'am."

And lo, another obligatory fade to black was fulfilled.

Cato flopped back on his pillow, a bit sweatier than he had been when he first woke up. He looked over at Inanna, grinning, "How was that for a demonstration?"

His head lolled over to the nightstand next, where one of his (many) sabers was laid. He seemed to become lost in thought. About what was next. And how to prepare.

Inanna lay stretched out on the other side of the bed, her expression blissful. She had been admiring Cato from afar, watching the rise and fall of his chest as he caught his breath.

At his question, she blinked, snapping out of her lovedrunk reverie. “That was just a demonstration?” she asked with faux incredulity, a hint of a smile on her lips. “What’s the real thing like?

Her gaze lingered even when he turned away from her, though she did eventually get up. It was morning, after all, and they couldn’t stay in bed all day… Well, they could, but she was getting hungry.

I’ve been meaning to ask—why do you have so many damned lightsabers?” She gestured to the one on the nightstand. “It seems like everywhere I look around here, there’s another lightsaber. Do you… collect them?

Last edited:
Cato formed a cocky grin, and shrugged nonchalantly, "I like to be thorough." It had been a joke on her part, but his eyes darted around somewhat nervously all the same. He pretty much left it all on the field just then, so the 'real thing' was a bit more unattainable.

Inanna got up, and Cato stayed in bed for a few seconds longer, until the sound of her voice got him to start moving. "Oh," He grinned sheepishly, "Inadvertently, I guess. They've all got a different story behind them." Cato picked up the one on the nightstand and weighed it in his palm. It was a well-crafted silver and gold hilt, with crossguard emitters jutting out on either side of the main blade, "This one's my saber from my time with the Jedi. Still my 'main' lightsaber, I suppose."

The knight stood up, and began to meander, "I've got the two tonfa blades for when I go out doing my Moonlighter shtick. Felt like they were a better fit for the job, and it wouldn't exactly be hard to figure out my real identity if he used the same exact lightsaber I did," An ornate, white-beamed cross guarded saber? Not exactly the most archetypal example of a Jedi weapon. He then added with a smirk, "Also, they match the outfit."

"Let's see… There's a gold crystal blade that I found delving into the old Narsh Enclave. And the last one is… well, it was a friend's,"
His tone fell for just a moment as he remarked on the final saber. Then after a beat, he switched gears, "So… breakfast?"

Very thorough.” She let the jokes go for now, speaking sincerely. “I loved it.

Inanna was happy and content. There was little urgency to her now, no nervous energy tightly coiled like a spring. She approached Cato where he had wound up, holding various lightsabers, and wrapped her arms around his middle, resting her head against his chest to listen to his heartbeat.

This was your first lightsaber? It’s beautiful.” She was used to seeing them with simpler, more mainstream designs, but this was ornately crafted. “You plundered the Narsh Enclave?” That sounded like the beginning of a funny story.

He mentioned the last saber, one that had belonged to a friend. She didn’t want to pry too much, but she was curious. “Did this friend give it to you, or…?

Cato grinned a little more confidently with her assurance, before they moved on.

He accepted her hug, letting one hand play with her hair as the other examined the hilt, "Other than the training saber, yeah," He smiled with a bit of pride, remembering the occasion well. As for the other one, "Something like that. It's a bit of a long story actually. Place had been abandoned for years, hoped I might get something useful out of it. Which I did." There was actually a lot more to that story, including the entire overthrow of a droid hivemind criminal syndicate, but those details were less relevant to this particular conversation.

He frowned a bit when she asked about the final saber. Not upset with her, but all the same was reminded, "...Not exactly." Cato sighed, "Found out from some Imp guy that he… died. On Ziost. That guy gave it to me, said it belonged with one of his fellow Jedi." He shrugged. It didn't quite have the emotional sting as it once did, but speaking on the death of a friend was never a thought one relished.

You’re rather good at making things, aren’t you?” she said, though she made it sound less like a question and more like a statement of fact. Cato had understated his talent for tinkering, perhaps out of humility, but anyone who could construct a weapon like that was clearly skilled. Then again, she wasn’t an expert when it came to such craft—she just knew beautiful things when she saw them.

She could tell, too, that there was more to the story of the Narsh Enclave. “Mmhm. Cato Harth the treasure hunter. You’re a man of many talents.

The mood inevitably went south when she inquired about his friend. Ziost had been one of the more disastrous battles of the war, from what she’d heard. Inanna held him a little bit tighter, but she knew there was nothing one could really do about another’s grief. Enough time had passed that the wound seemed to have healed, but it would leave a permanent scar.

What was his name?” she asked. “Your friend.

Cato smiled, a bit softer and a bit shyer this time, “I s’pose…” He studied the craftsmanship of the hilt a while longer, noting details that most others might miss, remembering how they came together into the final product now before him, “Spent a lot of time tinkering in my youth, when I wasn’t running around causing trouble. Not like there was much else to do,” He chuckled. Most of his braggadocio was in jest, more of a face that he put on for the sake of acting the jokester. But in reality he was much more humble about his capabilities, something that was ingrained in him from an early age, “I do like it.” He admitted, setting the weapon down.

Even as the topic shifted to the enclave, that same class clown mentality reared its head, “What can I say? They just don’t make ‘em like me anymore.” Either way, the tone dampened a bit more as he revealed his friend’s fate.

“...Fisk.” He said after a long pause, smirking, “Somehow more annoying than me, if you can imagine it… Probably smarter, too.” Different fields, but there was no denying the two were filling up a similar niche that somehow amplified both of their best and worst qualities. Cato snapped out of his reveries, and continued, “There was a whole band of us. Me, Fisk, my sister, more. All trained together as part of the same padawan class, kept things going even after.”

“Was fun while it lasted.”

For what my opinion is worth, I’d say your lightsaber is a work of art.” No doubt he’d blush and deny it, but it was true.

If you enjoy tinkering on top of being a genius at it, that’s even better. You’d probably consider it sacrilege, but I didn’t even make my lightsaber. Well, technically I made the original lightwhip under the supervision of my master, but the weapon I have now—the metal tube with a rock stuck to one end—was constructed by someone else.” She shrugged, a bit embarrassed. “I just don’t have the knack for it.

His bragging made her smile, but her expression fell as he spoke of his friend Fisk. “Were you at Ziost?” she asked.

Sure enough, Cato blushed faintly, and waved a hand as if to say otherwise. He was similarly quick to dismiss her apparent lack of skill, or at least accommodate it, "Not everyone does. Most Jedi don't exactly construct all the individual parts themselves, it's just a matter of assembly." Inanna was already familiar with it to some extent, given her original weapon's creation, "But really it's not hard to learn some fundamentals. With the right teacher," He smirked a bit, effectively putting the offer out there if she were ever in need of a new saber.

As talk moved to his friend, Cato gradually trailed off in thought, only to quickly pull himself back in as he heard her question, "No, no. If you remember things were still a bit… complicated, with the Silvers, during that time." He shrugged, "I never agreed with it, but it didn't affect me anyway. I was here on Narsh during that time, working with the new Concord law detachment." The series of events that led him to this particular lifestyle, "I think Fisk left the order entirely when all that stuff went down." Another beat passed.

"Were you there?"

Well, it had more to do with the complexity of it than anything else. It’s a… convertible? It can switch between being a lightwhip, a lightsaber, double-blades, two single blades, and all that.” At his offer, she rested a hand on her hip. “I’ll keep that in mind if I’m ever in need of another lightsaber.

She didn’t remember. In fact, Inanna had no idea what had been going on with relations between the Silvers and the Alliance beyond a vague impression of bad blood. The rest of the wider galaxy was typically unaware of the internal conflicts within specific factions.

No,” she answered, wondering if he thought she might have fought on the Sith side. But no—she was long gone from the Empire by then. “I was living on Erakhis, so it didn’t exactly affect me much. But I heard about it from Hal. He was more into following politics and current events than I was back then. Weren’t there two battles fought there? It sounded pretty… awful.

Cato raised his brows, "Ah. That sounds about right then," For the briefest of moments he became lost in thought, contemplating the necessary functions of such a weapon, before their conversation moved on.

"From what I heard, yeah. Like I said I wasn't super involved in that war but… it wasn't a pretty one."
No war ever was, but the conflict with the Sith Empire had been particularly intense in those final years of its reign. He paused a moment, before thoughts brought him back to a name he didn't recognize, "...Hal?"

My late husband.” She spoke as if she’d said something she shouldn’t have. Not too long ago there had been a time when she could scarcely bear to think about Hal or their children without being overwhelmed by grief and guilt. So she tried to forget, avoiding even speaking his name. But his life had been too deeply intertwined with hers for too many years. Sometimes she just couldn’t avoid some reminder of the family she had lost.

We should shower, then have breakfast,” she suggested, hoping to change the subject. She needed a distraction.

"Oh," Cato said solemnly, finding little else he could say on the matter. He frowned, and held her a little tighter. It wasn't the sort of topic that was easy to address, perhaps even between them more than others. There was almost a strange sense of guilt that Cato felt, though that was a feeling that came rather easily to him regardless. What she once had, now gone. And he was to fill that void.

He blinked, and looked down at her when she made a suggestion, "You sure?" Cato raised an arm and gave himself a smell check, which seemed to earn a look of agreement from him. She didn't seem to want to talk about it, so he didn't press further, simply leading her to the shower instead.

Inanna answered him with a kiss, eager to lose herself in him. Maybe then she could forget about the past for a little while.

Afterwards, she went to make breakfast. No sooner had she entered the kitchen, she heard a familiar excited shriek. Elfangor slithered over from where he had been sleeping by the door, coiling around her arm and across her shoulders.

Oh shoot, I forgot to mention—I brought my pet here,” she said, petting Elfangor’s soft white fur. “Don’t worry, he’s trained and friendly. But he is kind of loud and… excitable.” She veered away as he began licking her face, unwrapping him from around her body. Elfangor gave a few excited yips, then rushed off to explore the rest of the apartment.

About that ‘big change’ you wanted to make on Narsh…” Her datapad began to chime with incoming messages. She glanced at it briefly, pressed her lips together, and silenced the device. “Do you have any ideas?

Cato was pulled into the kiss with little time for anything else, all too easily enthralled by the woman in front of him…

He trailed behind Inanna into the kitchen, jumping at the wholly unexpected shriek, and the strange little creature it emanated from. Inanna was quick to introduce, and Cato dropped his guard, "Jeeeeez," With the surprise gone, he curiously raised a hand toward Elfangor, only for the pet to slither off elsewhere.

Well…" He hummed, popping open the fridge in search of nothing in particular, "Taking down one of the bigwigs would be nice. Like a Hutt, or something. Something that's gonna start a domino effect. Plenty of guys I could take down, only to get replaced within a week. But there's somebody out there who's irreplaceable."

"Watch your feet," Inanna warned gently.

Elfangor had begun to coil around Cato's leg, making his way up to his shoulders and sniffing him curiously. His body was long and sinuous, covered with thick, soft white fur. After poking and prodding Cato with his cold nose, Elfangor seemingly lost interest—or rather, became more interested in the contents of the fridge, using Cato as a ladder to reach the top shelf.

"Any names come to mind?" Inanna asked, nudging Elfangor's snout with one hand as she took eggs and bacon from the fridge. "Or could we just… walk into a club or something, and start punching everyone we see?"

Despite his initial surprise at the creature's appearance, Cato seemed to take Elfangor's sudden choice to crawl all over him in stride. The knight showed little outside reaction as he slinked around, spare a faint, amused smile as he poked him with his nose. He gave the creature a few pets before Elfangor turned his interest to the fridge.

"Not really," Cato sighed with a bit of frustration, "That's the problem. Most of the guys at the top are well secured." He grabbed a bottle of citrusy juice, pouring it into a cup, and raising it over another, silently asking Inanna if she wanted any, "And these ain't just your typical mob bosses we're talking about. These are Nar Shaddaa mob bosses. Powerful, I mean crazy powerful. Here they're more like… kings." There was no higher law stopping them. They were the law on Narsh. "Maybe not something that… direct. But we'll need to start asking around sooner or later if we want to make any progress."

"This oven works better than the one on the ship, by the by."

"Well except for the fact that the dial isn't entirely accurate. Gotta up the heat about a tick higher than you actually want."

I see.” She took the juice, narrowly managing to grab the cup before Elfangor could stick his head in it. “Isn’t there usually a hierarchy in organized crime? One guy who’s the top dog, and all the others have to respect him, even if only out of fear and loathing… Then again, if we were to take out the biggest one, someone else would simply take their place…

Pausing to listen to his instructions about the oven, she smiled and set to cooking. “Do you know who to ask?

She was surprisingly eager to start beating up criminals. Well, maybe it wasn’t all that surprising. What little she’d experienced of Narsh had been through the prism of Cato’s life there, and she’d found that she couldn’t stand to see the rampant poverty and crime for long—not without wanting to either punch somebody or hole up in Cato’s apartment and pretend she was on a different planet with him.

Like Alderaan. She had offered to take him to see Maranatha, she remembered, though that probably wouldn’t involve nearly as much excitement as plotting a mob takedown on Narsh. Still, she didn't want to seem pushy. “Do you want to do this big thing now, or later?” she added, cracking an egg in the pan. Elfangor whined at the smells coming from the stove.

"Right, but, I might also argue that if we take out the right boss, there's no way to replace them. In name, sure, maybe. But they're usually the guy at the top for a reason. Without their dear leader's expertise, I'd wager we can make the empire topple from within. Hell, the infighting from the power vacuum alone might be enough to swing things in our favor." Sometimes the loss of a great leader in exchange for a weak one was all that was needed to tear things apart. Especially in a business so cutthroat as this. Cato's mind was running with potential now, but he quickly grounded his optimism in reality, "It's definitely not going to be as simple as it sounds on paper. And luck probably plays a… bigger role in this plan than I care to admit. But- it could work. We'll just need to find and pick our target carefully."

He took a moment to quiet down and mull over her question, "...Maybe. I know some folks. Believe it or not, I'm not hated by every single person on this moon. Just a lot of 'em… But I don't know if that means they can or will help." He smirked a bit, before continuing, "There was this chick who I met in the old Enclave. Not one of the Mods, but she put 'em all to shame," Last Hacks had told him, she was planning on becoming almost entirely cyberized in her near future. The thought of existing in that state made him shiver, "Hacker type. Good at it, too. But she's still a criminal. Dunno if she's fond enough of me to suddenly turn on one of her potential employers. And frankly, I don't even know where she is right now."

There were a load of variables at play. It was going to be a long con, a slow burn, no matter which way you slice it. For now, all they could do was lay out the pieces at play, and form the nascent details of their plan. Cato sighed, and seemed to mentally drop off the baggage behind him, "Later. Now's not really an option anyway. Let's just… live a little," He smirked, and began working on the bacon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom