Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Setting a standard for Armor Quality

We had this discussion in the FJ chat and I wanted to toss this here so we can discuss and come up with some sort of standard for common materials ( and restricted) and detail an Armor Quality for them as a reference.

This will include:

Alchemy: This is know to make armors heavier too.
Force Imbued: It can up the quality, but certainly isn't a 10
Weaves: These are thinner and lighter materials, quality should be lower.
Blends: As in, if a metal is blended how much of a quality level is it dropped?
Restricted Metals: Phrik, Beskar, (not all but the most commonly used)
Common materials: Durasteel, Duraplast,

I don't want a set number as much as a range. ( between one or two numbers to allow some flexibility)

Toss in your thoughts.

Common Armor Qualities

Common Materials
  • Durasteel : Standard [ Range of A to B ]
  • Duraplast: Standard [ Range of A to B ]
  • Turadium: Standard [ Range of A to B ]

Restricted Materials
These are materials that have not been changed in any way. Restricted materials always require development for their acquisition. Please see Restricted Materials list for more information.
  • Beskar - Standard [ Range of A to B ]
  • Phrik - Standard [ Range of A to B ]

Miscellaneous Applications
If the material has been treated as the following. Typically requires development if they exceed common canon applications.
  • Alchemized : Adjusted Increase [ Range of A to B ] | Item becomes heavier.
  • Force Imbued: Adjusted Increase [ Range of A to B ] | Item becomes of a higher quality, no weight change.
  • A weave : Adjusted Decrease [ Range of A to B ] | Typically drops in quality and becomes lighter.
  • A blend of metals : Adjusted Decrease [ Range of A to B ] | Typically drops in quality and depending on metals, may become lighter.

ADM. Reshmar

Directorate Officer Fleet Admiral SJC 3rd Fleet
[member="Cira"]

Personnel Armor is not my strong suit but I think this is a great idea. It would help people who do not know as much as other make armor and well people like me who do not do alot of body armor judge it

I feel as though the standard could be set by using the same method as the starship template.

- Add: Typically requires development: Class 9-10.

- Add: Canon examples of armors at various qualities. Such as Stormtrooper Armor, Imperial Knight Armor, Katarn Commando Armor, Standard Beskar'gam, etc.

--> Maybe also add a quality grade in these examples for a standard plate of Alchemized Durasteel, a Masterwork plate of Alchemized Durasteel, egg. (I suggest class 8 and 10 respectively, as a canon Sith Sword of "uber" quality is described as "nigh indestructible")

Between these, I think it would be very easy for players to build the armors they want with ease; and judgment can be accomplished with but a glance at the template.

This has needed to happen for years. As long as the final product is flexible enough for people's creativity - guidelines and suggestions rather than rules whenever possible - I'm down with whatever.

Cira said:
We had this discussion in the FJ chat and I wanted to toss this here so we can discuss and come up with some sort of standard for common materials ( and restricted) and detail an Armor Quality for them as a reference.

This will include:

Alchemy: This is know to make armors heavier too.
Force Imbued: It can up the quality, but certainly isn't a 10
Weaves: These are thinner and lighter materials, quality should be lower.
Blends: As in, if a metal is blended how much of a quality level is it dropped?
Restricted Metals: Phrik, Beskar, (not all but the most commonly used)
Common materials: Durasteel, Duraplast,

I don't want a set number as much as a range. ( between one or two numbers to allow some flexibility)

Toss in your thoughts.

Common Armor Qualities

Common Materials
  • Durasteel : Standard 4 to 7
  • Duraplast: Standard 6 to 8
  • Turadium: Standard 6 to 9

Restricted Materials
These are materials that have not been changed in any way. Restricted materials always require development for their acquisition. Please see Restricted Materials list for more information.
  • Beskar - Standard 7 to 10
  • Phrik - Standard 6 to 10

Miscellaneous Applications
If the material has been treated as the following. Typically requires development if they exceed common canon applications.
  • Alchemized : Adjusted Increase 5 to 10 | Item becomes heavier.
  • Force Imbued: Adjusted Increase 5 to 8 | Item becomes of a higher quality, no weight change.
  • A weave : Adjusted Decrease 3 to 5 | Typically drops in quality and becomes lighter.
  • A blend of metals : Adjusted Decrease [ Range of A to B ] | Typically drops in quality and depending on metals, may become lighter.
While the numbers I plugged in are the average, I'd like to make it clear that all of these can go higher/lower (within reason) depending on how much of that material they plan to use and how much development they want.

As for the blending thing, that's a RL and canon way to make metals stronger, and you really only make it weaker if you're diluting the amount of the metal you're using to sacrifice quality for weight. It's canon to make beskar'gam from materials such as ciridium combined with beskar. I can't really put a number on this, either, because it's highly variable to what is used to dilute it.

Braith Achlys said:
you really only make it weaker if you're diluting the amount of the metal you're using to sacrifice quality for weight
Yeah, this is what I meant in terms if one is blending, for example the restricted metal beskar with a metal of a lower quality to attempt to make it lighter. This would sacrifice quality for weight.

So maybe instead call it... Diluting : [ Adjustment Range of a - b ] The more you dilute the lighter it becomes, but the lower in quality it will drop.

Any ideas here?

Common Armor Weight Classes
All examples will be provided at a 10 KG mass with their average quality rating range, for that weight class, beside them.
Armors made from these materials may be produced at lower quality, as well as higher (with development, within reason), these are simply averages.
  • Beskar (10 KG) - Quality 7 to 9
    ​Beskar is an extremely heavy metal that is known to be lightsaber resistant and extremely durable. It is generally made practical in most Mandalorian armors (Beskar'gam) with the blending of other metals, such as Ciridium and Durasteel, to reduce its significant weight.

[*]Phrik (10 KG) - Quality 8 to 10
  • ​Phrik is a super-lightweight material made of Phrikite ore and Tyrdirium. Its light weight and extremely durable, and energy resistant, qualities make it ideal for lightweight melee weapons, as well as light - but effective - body armor. Phrik is a well-known lightsaber resistant material, retaining greater durability at a lesser mass than most other metals.

[*]​Durasteel (10 KG) - Quality 4 to 7
  • ​Considered to be the standard material used in a variety of applications - from construction to armor - durasteel offers incredibly diverse forms of protection, whether it be from frigid cold or searing heat, and holds up incredibly well to physical stress. Though durasteel lacks lightsaber resistance, it does offer excellent standard protection without sacrificing mobility for a heavier suit of armor.

[*]​Turadium (10 KG) - Quality 6 to 8
  • ​While being well-known as an incredibly durable alloy, and heavily resilient to lightsabers, Turadium has been used conventionally for blast-doors and construction rather than for armor use, historically. Armor made from this material tends to suffer greater weight (due to the mass of the metal used) in order to obtain greater durability and some resistance to lightsabers.

[*]​Duraplast (10 KG) - Quality 6 to 8
  • ​Duraplast is an incredibly resilient metal that offers stronger protection than most standard metals used in construction of armor, and like Turadium grants impressive resilience to lightsabers. Duraplast shares many similarities in terms of quality and general weight when compared to many other metals, though it has far more historical use in armors than the blast-door material noted above.

​​

It strikes me that I see a lot of armor subs trying to do a lot of different things, which I think is hard to standardize.

As a thought, how would people feel about using a point system (much like the pod racer template) to regulate armor quality?

This is a rough idea of how I can see such a system working (purely as an example of such a system). Say an mass produced armor can spend up to 25 points on quality.

Overall Quality (4 points a class): 5 (20 points)

Thermal Resistance Quaity (1 additional point a class): +2 points=> Class 7 Thermal Resistance
Physical Resistance Quality (1 additional point a class): +2 points=> Class 7 Physical Resistance Quality
Ion/EMP Resistance Quality (1 additional point a class): 0 => Class 5 Ion/EMP Resistance Quality
Explosive Resistance Quality (1 additional point a class): +1 points=> Class 6 Explosive Resistance Quality

Summary:

25 points spent

Overall Quality: 5

Thermal Resistance Quality: 7
Physical Resistance Quality: 7
Ion/EMP Resistance Quality: 5
Explosive Resistance Quality: 6

Gir Quee said:
This is a rough idea of how I can see such a system working (purely as an example of such a system). Say an mass produced armor can spend up to 25 points on quality.
While I would like to entertain the idea of forcing people to adopt lower quality at higher productions, I'm not at all in favor of a point-buy system for armor. You can ask them to lower quality already, there's no need to overcomplicate things and reinvent the wheel. We're not trying to redo the armor template to make a new standard, we're codifying what we already have as a standard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom