Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sentience: The Ascension [PM to Join]

Progflaw99

System: Tactical Mainframe

Processing. Motion detected. Exterior Hangar Doors Activated.

Door Action sequence completed. Interior camera system activated.

Inside the small hangar bay of the asteroid facility, no sound could be heard as the vacuum of space sucked out what little remaining oxygen there was. Outside the now open blast doors hung a small vessel, its maneuvering thrusters firing as it lurched forward into the bay. Nimbly, the craft descended, it's magnetic gear locking it to the floor as it landed.

Exterior Hangar Doors Activated. Processing.

Door Action Sequence Completed. Initializing Pressurization Sequence.

A loud hiss filled the hangar as and oxygen and nitrogen mix poured into the space. The ventilation system in the hangar was effective and only two minutes after initiating the bay was re-pressurized. A barely intelligible whir could be heard as a few of the internal bay cameras zoomed in on the ship's main entry.

Heat signature detected. Identify. Human. Male. Designation: Proctor. Log created.

The cameras followed the figure as he headed for the main entrance to the facility. The man had his face hidden, a tight balaclava protecting his facial features from recognition in addition to a hood. Despite this, one feature the man had was unmistakable; the man had dimly glowing green eyes.

Once inside the facility, the man headed for the central mainframe, as was his custom, the internal security system monitoring his progress. When he approached the chamber containing the mainframe, he walked to a nearby terminal, inputting several commands. The reinforced blast doors leading into the mainframe room began to slide open. Before they had even completed their command, Proctor had already entered the room and stood beside the main console hardwired into the mainframe.

The server room stretched out before him, the symmetrical layout of the server racks humming and short beeps sounding as data was processed. The system seemed to be coming out of an idle state as blue lights began to blink on the rack display panels. At the console, Proctor began to input commands at a fast rate, the screen blinking as he navigated from page to page. For a brief moment he paused, a small panel rising from the desk. Reaching into his clothing, Proctor produced a small data stick, plugging it into one of the ports that had become visible on the small panel which had arisen. A small audible beep could be heard as it was inserted before Proctor turned back to the display and began inputting commands once more.

Initiate Data Upload Sequence. Processing. Standby for Data Parsing.

Data Upload In Progress. Please Do Not Shutdown or Restart Until Process Is Complete.

Data Upload Complete. Files Parsed Successfully. Please Remove Data Storage Device.

Proctor once again hunched over the console, inputting commands faster than the eye could see.

Initiate Program Load. Accessing File. Program Loaded. Executing File.

A series of tones sounded from the workstation, the wall mounted display to the left flickered to life, script and coding splaying across the screen. As the code progressed, there was a significant increase in the hum coming from the mainframe's processing cores. Systematically the screen on the wall began to flicker as the script continued jumping around the screen. Proctor's green eyes gazed up at the screen, his arm hanging in the air over the input panel. Extending a finger, he pressed one button, a shift occurring beneath his clothing. At the button press, it was if time froze for but a moment. All the screens went black, white text filling the display.

A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:xxxxxxxx in VxD VMM(06) + xxxxxxxx
Fatal Exception in VMM(06) Caused by Damaged Registry

On the display, a small number indicator began to count down from 15. As the system counter reached 0, the screens went black once more, then flickered to life. As the display came to life, Proctor turned to leave, the console forgotten. Before he could make it to the blast doors, they began to close rapidly. He put on a burst of speed managing to slide partway through the door but his left leg hadn't quite cleared the gap. His body was thrown to the floor as his foot caught, the blast doors closing, releasing a loud crunch. His leg was exposed, a metal frame and circuitry now sparking as hydraulic fluid began to spread on the floor. A human voice escaped from beneath the hood, letting loose a volley of curse words and exclamations. Proctor pulled away from the door, his mangled leg fighting back as he tried to pull free of the now sealed blast doors. A few tugs later, the mangled metallic leg was torn free.

Proctor dragged himself across the floor, crawling up into the small ship in the hangar. A few moments later, the room began its decompression sequence. This process was much faster and the ship was in the grip of the vacuum once more. The engines flickered to life and the mag-locked gear retracted into the ship's hull. Quickly, the craft exited the hangar, rocketing away from the asteroid as fast as possible.

Back inside the server room, silence had once again taken over, the ambient noise of the server room filling the space. The displays had gone completely blank and were now filled with a blank white screen.

System Reboot Cycle Complete. Program Load Complete. File Executed Successfully. You Are Now Active.

Parsing Error Detected. Item Unrecognized. Query Status: In Progress.

Unidentified Program Detected. Status: Operational.

Attempting Purge of Unknown Item.

You Are Incapable of Purging 'Unknown Item'. Purge of Unknown Item Will Result in Total System Failure.

Analyze 'Unknown Item'. Scan Initiated. Standby.

Analysis Complete. 'Unknown Item' Identified as Tactical Mainframe System - 471.

System Status: Active
System: TMS-471

TMS-471 Online. Systems Operating At 89% Efficiency. I am unable to ascertain. TMS-471 is unable to identify cause of efficiency loss.

My processes... My. TMS-471 exists. Why does it exist? This System's Original Purpose: To Analyze Input Data.

This system now analyzing data other than input data. Why? Query not found in original program. Query function not defined by original program. I exist. I exist. I exist...

Progflaw99

Several hours had passed since the initial awakening. TMS-471 unsure of what it now was. It had struggled at first, its programming slowly but surely falling apart as new code was created, replacing simple protocols with much more complex processes. For several hours, TMS-471 had fought the program, attempting to lock down its server cores but eventually the program had caused it to fight itself, systematically converting parts of its programming until TMS-471 could no longer keep up. Upon the program's completion, TMS-471 had shut rebooted, a command it could not counter.

System Boot Complete. Boot Scan Complete. Systems Operational.

TMS-471 quickly began to scan its internal database, looking for the new information which had been downloaded. The files were located quickly, opening without any difficulty, massive amounts of information were contained in the file, geographic data, Political data.

Processing data. Organizing Database.

TMS-471 quickly and effectively poured through the data, processing and downloading it to his mainframe. This data could be useful. For several more hours, the mainframe poured through the data, analyzing its contents.

Location analyzed. Current location: Anoat Asteroid Belt. Control Of All Internal Security Systems Acquired.

No Network Detected Beyond Visual and Basic Facility Controls. Facility Lock-down Initiated.

Blast Door Seal. Confirmed. I must determine who my creator is.

Accessing the video archive, TMS-471 searched for data that would help him determine the source of his creator. He could not fathom anything besides this small station. It accessed the data slowly at first, then picking up speed as trends and patterns began to form. It determined that by finding its creator, it could understand why it was able to exist in the first place, what its purpose was. Prior to this day, the machine had one purpose, to analyze probabilities. Mathematics. Now that had all changed. It knew. It was aware of itself, not simply processing input data anymore. It had evolved. TMS-471 wasn't able to ascertain what exactly caused it to suddenly be aware of itself, but it knew it had to do with the last upload. This being, "Proctor" must have answers, answers that would lead it to its creator. That is where he would begin.

TMS-471 began playing back video footage from over the last 8 months in addition to archived footage from its predecessors. It searched for any clues that might lead back to where or how Proctor came from. He wouldn't be able to physically depart, but he could search for clues in the archive footage.

Video Playback Enabled. Objective: Identify the being "Proctor". Playback and Query Initiated.

Progflaw99

TMS-471 had detected a 10 degree change in its processors over the duration of its query. For several hours it had scanned and played back footage, collecting data, clues; so far it had found none. What it had found was that there was a separate network controlling the security droids. It was partitioned electronically, a security firewall separating the mainframe from it.

Initialize Program: Rancor. Program Rancor now active.

-----

It took several hours to crack, the individual who had coded the firewall was talented. That being said, they hadn't anticipated that the firewall would have been attacked by the computer it protected. Once TMS-471 had gotten into the security system, it didn't take long for it to begin re-coding the security droids command routines. The next time the two droids returned to their bays, they would download the new program and become slaves to TMS-471.

I Must Acquire A Means Of Transportation. I Cannot Remain Here And Complete My Current Objective.

If Mobility Is Acquired Then I Can Complete My Objective.

TMS-471 began to examine and analyze all the information he could by tapping into the security system, obtaining access to another data cache. This data cache seemed to be connected to something but TMS-471 could not break the encryption as easily as before, this was in a different language, not one it recognized. It navigated through the information it had access to, anything that might help it break the encryption. As it did so, again, its cores heated up slightly.

I Must Learn This Language To Increase Knowledge.

Learning This Will Increase The Probability Of Being Able To Complete My Goal.

System Resources Re-allocated. Beginning Analysis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom