Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Senatorial Proposal Debated [NR Senate Thread]

open-uri20150608-27674-r9ulqq_8b1193eb.jpeg

Planet: Carida
Date: Centaxday, 1st day of the the 6th Month of the GSC, 853 ABY

- Republic City was peaceful this time of day, the capital of the New Republic was well secured and safe from outside threats. Citizens from across the galaxy that were once considered refugees were now freely walking the streets with new goals in their minds and hope restored in their hearts. It was the large central building that towered over the rest of the city they had to thank. The New Republic Senate Building was the current beacon of hope and civility for those fleeing tyranny as well as the yoke of military and force using ideals. It was here within the Republic that true freedom could be found, and the citizens could be seen freely acting without fear of the large building in the center of the city.

-- Going into the Senate Building there was currently members in session deep in talks about running the matters of state.

-- "...After bringing the culprit into custody he was handed over to R-SIS or Republic Security Intelligence Services were we learned that he and those he was with were working following the Ideals of the Sith Empire that Fear and Strength will bring stability and order back to the Core Worlds." The Female Republic Marshal finished her talks before the New Republic Senate. She was standing at the podium in the center of the chamber that was at the head of a long table that sat center of the room. Small Terminals were along the long table and currently no individual was standing there. Along the long room, seating areas were arranged for the few senators and their aids to relax for the conversation.

- Tobias stood from his position next to the Marshal, holding the Speaker's Staff he tapped it on the floor near his feet. "The Senate would like to thank Chief Inspector Rebecca Glext for her testimony of the raid on Hok, we will take in your testimony into account, you are dismissed Chief Inspector." He waited for the women to stand down, stopping at Chancellor Munnu Fati to bow and the continued on. The Chancellor walked up and took the stance where the women was next to Vice Chancellor Dracks. He again tapped the Staff near his feet. "Senators and Represenatives of the Worlds of the New Republic, this chamber now recognizes Senator Glifen Bor of Arkania, after which the floor will be open for debate."

-- The Senator walked up to the center table and adjusted his cybernetic face mask. An injury he sustained from a Sith Attack on his planet when he was a younger man. He was the Leader of the Hawk Party, the Pro-War and more conservative values of the New Republic. He stepped to the center table and began his speech. "Thank you Vice Chancellor Dracks, and thank you my fellow senators for this moment for me to propose the Enhanced Core World Security and Protection Bill," Senators from Neimordia, and Tesforam and their aids stood up and began to cheer, supporters in the ramparts did so as well. He waved his hands down and looked to the senators around him. "The proposition from this bill will allow worlds outside of our military sphere of influence will still be afforded the protection of the New Republic Armed Forces, Terrorist, Monsters, and Syndicalist are still rampant within the Core Worlds and the New Republic has the power to prevent attacks like on Arkania and Brentaal from furthering these extremist ideals, it is our duty to further protect and secure the Core Worlds from the problems of this Chaotic Galaxy."

-- Tobias nodded and tapped his staff again, "Senator Bor has proposed the passing of Bill Alpha-32116, the Enhanced Core World Security and Protection Bill," He paused for a second and scanned the room like an eagle on a perch. "This bill will increase funding for the Military as well as continued expansion and creation of another Sector Army, this funding will be taken from the Navigational Mapping Services as well as the Intergalactic Excotic Animal Inisitive Agency, this new Sector Fleet will be responsible for protecting unaligned star systems at the request of their local government." He paused again and tapped his staff once again, "Thank you Senator Bor, this chamber now recognized Senator Whaor Zus from Hok to speak on behalf of the opposition of this bill, Senator."

-- The Ithorian stepped forward and maneuvered the translator to a proper position to speak. Once he got to the long table he tapped on the terminal before him. Standing straight he started. "Greeting to my fellow senators, the Chancellor and Vice Chancellor and those within the Senate Chamber, I stand here before you all in opposition to the proposed bill, this Republic is still working on negotiating with our neighbors to join our united efforts of protection, it was efforts like the Liberation of Commenor by Vice Chancellor Dracks that we must focus on, we can not stretch our forces too thinly across the galaxy with the hopes of helping out some worlds when he still have threats and attacks on our own fronts like the recent attempted attacks on worlds like my own and the threats that are still close to home." He nodded his large head, pointing his finger up, "I say that we continue on the path we have been set upon and continue to work with out neighbors to have them join the Republic with our acts of kindness and not our glories of war."

-- Tobias nodded and again tapped his staff on the floor, but this time he did it three times. "Thank you senators, this floor is now open for debate of the proposed bill."

-- Proposed Bill Alpha-32116 "Enchanced Security and Protection Bill"

- Current Chancellor - Munnu Fati
- Current Vice Chancellor - Tobias Dracks
- Current Chief Ministries Aid - Elinor Mundi
Senators:

Harley Fenstermacher

remeber it's not personal, just buiness
Harley sat idly to the side as the first senators took the stage, this would be one of the major bills passed in the senate that would be voted on by all the current senators. For the most part many of the decisions were left to him and [member="Tobias Dracks"], due to many of the governments still having provisional governments and having yet to establish a proper government with a representative. It was nice to see that their governmental reach was growing and thriving, from here on out things would be much more interesting, more players to look out for, possible rivals and allies to make.

As Tobias finished his statement Harley took the time to stand, letting his presence be known before speaking, giving a nod to everyone present in the still largely empty congress room. "Good day to you, fellow senators and political leaders of the republic Chancellor and Vic-Chancellor, today I the senator of Ballmorra will put my two credits into my opinion on this matter". "Though there are many aspects of this bill that are worth worrying about as the senator of Hok has said, mostly with the over stretching of our military, remaining isolationist and not helping a nearby system may cause more problems then a tighter then usual budget".

"The use of this bill would allow us to get influence over an area of space without taking control, saving us face among hypocrites like the Mandaloiran Empire and independent states". "It would also create a military buffer zone to protect again potential attacks in the future that could come from the First Order or Empire and very well provide troops with much needed combat experience they would never achieve through mock battles". "Even so I believe such an act should still be limited as the senator of Hok stated, only help those that want to willingly tcooperate and for us to not annex their space or borders... as such I am in favor of such a bill, but only just".

Entourage: Senator [member="Sankt Yora"] of Kuat
Attire: New Republic Starfighter Corps Dress Uniform
FJp1uVB.png
The young Corellian had been surprised to discover that he knew the honorable representative of the world of Kuat.

Like himself, Senator Yora had spent some kind in the galactic markets of interstellar commerce. The two of them had done business together in Denon's busy financial markets.

Now they were both servants of the Republic. The Lady Vicar for the people of Kuat and he in the uniform of the Republic's Starfighter Corps.

To be honest, as military uniforms went, this one wasn't really all that terrible. Black trousers. Black turtleneck. White wrap-around style coat, with a red sash over the left shoulder. His military rank of commander was affixed to the crimson flash that ran down the front, left side of the white coat.

Crossing his arms in front of his chest, the boy listened to all of the chatter and opined, "What are they playing at? If they are relying on the military to do their diplomacy for them, then this democracy is doomed to fail."

| [member="Tobias Dracks"] | [member="Sor-Jan Xantha"] | [member="Harley"] Fenstermacher |

The recently newly elected Senator of Humbarine, Ella Nova, was a former Jedi Knight who had fought in the dreaded One Sith wars. Having recently returned from a long period of isolation to take up a role in politics, she had benefited perhaps ironically from a Sith incursion into the Humbarine system when she had negotiated for the Jen'ari to leave Humbarine untouched. There had been a bit of lying when it came to her role in the Jen'ari leaving Humbarine alone, and it had helped when the Vice Chancellor had sacked her rival in the then upcoming election for Humbarine's representative on in the New Republic, but she wasn't about to expose her manipulations. Far better to remain quiet.

She sat and listened as the Senator for Arkania brought up Bill Alpha-32116 or as it was more commonly known as the Enhanced Core World and Security Bill which would see- if passed- an increased military presence in the Core worlds to render assistance to other star systems yet to join the New Republic but to deal with terrorist, dissidents and pirates that may bring them harm. That was at least her understanding by the time the Arkanian Senator had finished speaking.

Next she listened to the Senator from Hok speak up in counter of the Arkanian Senator in opposition of the bill passing. He brought up fair points about the fact that the New Republic still needed to strengthen it's own security before it could lend assistance to other worlds. It was a fair counter but Ella felt that it lacked conviction. He had been too nice in how he had countered Senator Bor.

When Zus had taken his seat she next listened to the representative on Balmorra who reasoned with Zus's argument but still sided with the passing of the bill. Ella wondered to herself if Senator Fenstermacher was an ally of Glifen Bor and if the two had met in private before the Senate had been convened in order for Balmorra to provide support to the bill.

When Harley had taken her seat, Ella rose to stand up so as to speak on behalf of the Humbarine Council which consisted of the regional governors from each district from across Humbarine's ecumenopolis and the planetary government for the planet.

"My name is Ella Nova. I am the representative for Humbarine in the New Republic and I am a former Jedi Knight who served the Old Republic during the One Sith Wars. I am acutely aware of the situation in the Core worlds following the fall of the Galactic Alliance, and the aftermath of the One Sith who occupied their systems for so long during the height of their power."

Ella paused so as to allow her words to be heard before continuing. "In the days of the Old Republic I remember that the Senate wanted to protect as many worlds as they possibly could as the invading hoards of Sith came at us. Many Jedi, servicemen and women died during the onslaught as world after world that were members of the Republic fell to their invasion. One of the issues that the Republic faced during it's military campaign against the One Sith was a lack of co-ordination between it's military and governmental junctures. In particular there were issues with key star systems being left too sparsely defended as the Republic attempted to compensate for lesser systems by sending our military forces when they were better used elsewhere."

Lifting her hand Ella gestured to Senator Zus of Hok as she continued speaking. "Humbarine echoes the concerns of Hok with the passage of this bill. Whilst I and the Humbarine Council sympathise with what has happened to the Core worlds- and in particular our Coruscanti cousins- we cannot lend support to the passage of the Enhanced Core World and Security Bill whilst there are still disputes here in New Republic territory. Whilst it is still possible for foreign, hostile or not, to violate the borders of the Republic as happened recently in the Humbarine system then it is impossible for Humbarine to support the passage of this bill."

"Furthermore I would like to bring up the topic of our diplomatic status with the Mandalorian Empire and the Silver Jedi. The New Republic shares a border with both of these factions. Before debate can continue about the passage of this bill and consideration of our friends in the Core we must first establish what agreements and treaties we have with these two entities. How do we know that the Mandalorian Empire will not violate our borders, for example? How do we know that the Silver Jedi will not attempt to interfere with our affairs?"

"For these reasons Humbarine feels that we must first consider the security and strength of our own space, both against foreign and domestic threats, before we can even begin to consider helping our friends in the Core worlds."

Bowing her head Ella retook her seat, folding one leg over the other and picking up a glass of water to sip as she waited to hear the response from the other Senators.

An age ago, the Falleen woman had stood among experienced politicians as a newcomer, wrapping herself in a cloak of deference and accepting a bit part with a polished smile. With a backwater world and no recognition, her voice was only made known by the alliances she had made, or the opportunities she had presented for the like minded among those more influential. It had been a valid lesson in humility and Cyrillia a useful stepping stone on a career she was sure would climb to soaring heights. At least it had been before the Galactic Republic collapsed.

Its successor state, the Galactic Alliance, had no interest in the Senate or even paying lip-service to the ideals it purported to uphold. Choice, democracy, free elections, these were all lost in that dark age, practiced in secret or where merely tolerated. And thus it came as no surprise to Yora when it, too, followed its predecessor in collapse and ruin.

Such that it should be that she be present for the dawning of a new age of democracy, the birth of a New Republic was one for celebration in Yora's view. The renewal of the Senate was a beacon to the galaxy's denizens of this new republic's intentions, but power in the hands of the masses could be disastrous if mishandled. Thus Yora was here now to ensure that such disaster would not befall a second republic, this time from the stalwart and industrious powerhouse world of Kuat.

Senator Sankt Yora, Kuat. That was the label on her docket booklet, full of flimsiplast pages scrawled with political verbiage and nonsensical legalese masquerading as legislation. A Senate of experienced politicians, these were not. The hall in which they met said as much, it was purpose-built for a galactic legislature, and yet it looked no larger than the chambers of a planetary ruling council. On some of the more egalitarian worlds, such bodies would overfill even this chamber, leaving no room for the troupe of aides, pages and recording droids scattered about the room.

At the very least, the low numbers of representatives allowed for their aides and staff to be present without filling a seat needed for another world. One such aide sat to her right, with whom Yora had worked closely in his past roles as a businessman. Though he was a Jedi, Sor-Jan Xantha was a useful ally and partner in her endeavors, especially now that her influence could reach the shipyards that birthed the lifeblood of the New Republic's navy. Having a former business magnate by her side as she spoke for an industrial world could only help her career.

Yora smiled carefully as Xantha whispered his grumblings, inclining her head in a slow nod, one which any cursory onlookers might only see as returning the glance from the esteemed Senator of Tesforam across the hall. This close to her fellow Senators, she kept her gestures small and well-masked, something she had rarely needed to do in the old Senate, with its cavernous chamber which imitated the original senate hall on Coruscant. Yet it was small enough to adequately eschew the unintimate technology the old republic had been forced to use, and Yora gestured clearly to the Vice Chancellor to indicate her wish to speak. Leaning close to her companion as she waited, the senator whispered, "They are children playing at governance. Children can stumble, children can get hurt. But children can be taught...perhaps."

As the floor quieted and her turn arrived, Yora stood, sweeping her plain robes behind her and balancing her docket upon the chair in front of her as a makeshift podium. "My dear colleagues, Chancellor Fati, Vice Chancellor Dracks, it is a delight and a blessing to be speaking among fellow senators and lawmakers once again. I recognize a few faces from the Old Republic we all held so dear, and am pleased to see some of them" she nodded in the direction of the Humbarine Senator, "gaining a new voice within these halls. As I know well, our newest voices often speak the truest psalms, and I must concur with my honorable colleague from Humbarine. It is not yet time to brandish our military as a sword, but rather wield it as a scalpel! Let us incise the wounds we suffered under the One Sith and the disregard from the Galactic Alliance, and stand bold among the nations of the galaxy."

Turning to face away from the Humbarine Senator this time, Yora added, "That is why I must also call upon this body to first establish relations with our republic's new neighbors. We must at least offer the gemwood branch before rattling the saber in a room full of serpents unseen. Kuat cannot, in good conscience, vote in favor of the bill at this time. Thank you, Mr. Vice Chancellor, I yield the floor."

Alexander was silent for the majority of the senate session, speaking on neither the testimonies from before, or the bills that had been proposed. It was when the newest one came up that his mind had been grabbed and he listened to each senator in kind. The initial opinions had come to an even split and left Alexander remembering the old days, back during his tenure as Vice Chancellor along side Jack Sparrow... those were odd days.

It was when Fenstermacher had spoken that Alexander turned his attention fully to this bill and started reading it as Harley continued. It seemed he and the other Echani were once more in agreement and he raised a brow at this fact, curious as to why they seemed to agree so often, but then differ in opinion so vastly on other points. He tapped his hand on the desk and then looked to the others, guaging their own feelings and checking for changes in their stance, their faces, or even just how they seemed to look at Harley. It was not unusual for people to wear their thoughts and emotions in their movements and their bodies.

Soon Humbarine and Kuat joined the words of the others with their own support, and Alexander just watched, silently considering the facts. If they did help the worlds outside of the republic without intention of getting something from this deal, it meant that the Republic would more easily draw member worlds. Isolation from the rest of the Core would only drag the Republic into a stagnating place. Outside of that, the Republic would need to show that the worlds around it cannot be easily pushed around when the Republic remains strong enough to help halt the evils done on people.

It was with that thought in mind that brought him to his own mic, and to speak his own thoughts.

"I speak with memory of the Republic from before the One Sith's occupation and crimes against the Core. I remember a few of those here who are now senators quite fondly and must say that I am surprised by your words. The Republic, while not intent on expansion of its members without the approval of those governments that wish to join us, would never abandon those who asked for its help in the past. We are not weak spined, and while I understand the concerns I must speak in support of this bill."

He paused and ordered himself, letting his breathing slow to a calm pace, so that he may speak clearly and without issue.

"The provisions of this bill would require oversight and constant guidance to ensure that it is not used to excuse imperialistic actions, but to flat out deny the passage of this bill does not solve the problem that it wishes to address. It is our burden to protect the people of the core, and perhaps even more, had you all forgotten which worlds provided us shelter following the Republic's Fall last time. Not to mention the worlds of the Galactic Alliance that now stand without their guardians. World like Nubia, Correllia, Denon, and so on. Should we let them stand alone while we have our own troubles."

He tapped his foot to distract himself, shifting his arms to cross over his chest.

"Or worlds like my home world, one that I had stood for during my tenure as Senator in the days of the old Republic, one that had been many times our size. We cannot expect to progress without reaching out and helping those worlds that might wish to join under us once more. If we cannot support them, then they would sooner look towards the Mandalorians or the Silver Jedi, entities ready to protect those worlds while we cower and stand to the sidelines. I say we instead amend this bill, provide this force with oversight from the War Commitee, and ensure its ability to operate for many years with the increased funding proposed by this bill."

Alexander said his peace and backed up, breathing in and letting out a sigh. He wondered if this was the right thing to support, if it was right to stand by this bill but he knew what would happen if they did nothing and merely watched. He had seen that before and he would not allow it to happen again if he had a say in the matter.

-- Tobias stopped the conversation without approving the others from speaking, he instead looked up at Chancellor Munnu Fati as it seemed his friend would like to speak. The Chancellor stood at the podium above the central table, he was wearing the Chancellors Uniform and looked out the the senators.

-- He raised his hands to his fellow political officers of this Republic, "I understand that the those here are worried about our neighbors intentions so I would like to hand the floor over to Vice Chancellor Tobias Dracks to read out previous Archived Scripts from when this government was the Republic Remnant, Vice Chancellor?"

-- The Reptilian man tapped his staff again with a holographic text before him. Wearing his Speakers Uniform, he bowed his head and then began to read, "Date, Zhellday, the 23rd day of the 12th Month, year 852, dignitaries of the Mandalorain Empire and Representative of the Republic Remnant signed the Treaty of Orbital Garrison 6, this has a written guarantee that the no hostilities will resume between the Republic Remnant, now the New Republic and the Mandalorain Empire after the raid of New Republic Vessels on Teth two weeks before the meeting."

-- The Holographic display changed lettering and he read over it quickly, "Date, Primeday, the 1st of the 3rd Month, year 853, representative from the Silver Jedi Order and the Tion Cooperative Organization were invited to the State of the Union and opening ceremony of the New Republic, opening topics for diplomatic talks were suggested and scheduled meetings with the members of the Tion Cooperative Organization, the Intergalactic Security Assistance Force, and the Silver Jedi Order are being worked on by the State Ministry and will be next on the docket for lead diplomatic talks with the neighboring government." He closed his terminal and sent each senator a copy of the Security Video footage of the event to show the many Silver Jedi Reps that were present during the specified time.

-- He made sure to wait for the senators to look over the evidence and then held out a hand that opened a hologram of the proposed bill. "The senator from Carida has proposed an Amendment of adding a clause of the creation of the War Oversight Committy that will add the duties of Approving Assisted Star Systems to the list of their duties, the floor is now open to discuss this bill and the proposed amendment."

[member="Sankt Yora"] | [member="Ella Nova"] | [member="Sor-Jan Xantha"] | [member="Harley Fenstermacher'] | [member="Alexander Sannes"]​

Entourage: Senator [member="Sankt Yora"] of Kuat
Attire: New Republic Starfighter Corps Dress Uniform
FJp1uVB.png
The tow-headed youngling knight nodded along silent as the Lady Vicar spoke to him in private, before turning her attention to the larger senate chamber as she made her own address.

As she was speaking, the boy moved to one side of the vestibule where the Kuat delegation was clustered, looking out over the assembly. The representative of Carida spoke, followed by the Glaucus vice chancellor of the Republic. "A peace with the Mandalorians?" the boy uttered, looking back over at the Lady Vicar and giving a shake of his head.

"I'd have thought that the example of Ra Vizla would have shown just how fickle the Mandalorian Clans can be," the boy mused quietly. Dagobah was proof enough of that.

What had once been a culture of proud warriors had reduced itself to piracy and barbarism. Not the least of which was selling themselves to whoever had the most credits.

The Mandalorians would seek peace only while it profited them. And, as soon as it didn't...

Harley Fenstermacher

remeber it's not personal, just buiness
Harley had to hold back a small snigger as the senator [member="Ella Nova"] and [member="Sankt Yora"] both made the exact same argument with opposing this bill, but what would one expect from those only just elected to position. Though there was a small query he had, why would they have to seek a peace deal with the Silver Jedi? The Mandos he could understand due to their ability to just randomly attack people who look at them funny and cause all sorts of problems but the Silver Jedi, despite their military centeric ways was a close ally. Or perhaps the two senators were just looking for an actual signed and dated treaty to give peace of mind, not everyone trusted the Jedi after all.

Not that is would really matter, the Mandos had shown time and time again the treaties and arrangements were nothing to be considered, they would hold the other people up to the end of the deal but would time and time again break it themselves. Those who they made the treaty with not able to do anything or negate such a signed act due to the threat of the entire mando empire coming down on them. Then there was the case of individual clans and their leaders, were if one group of people were invading another solving state the leaders of the Mando Empire just said, "oh that's an clan or group action and in no way affiliated with us".

Either way with 3 in favor and 3 more or less against it seemed the senate had reached a small stalemate with the vote, it would be interesting to see how the rest of the planets voted.

[member="Sor-Jan Xantha"] [member="Tobias Dracks"] [member="Alexander Sannes"] [member="Sankt Yora"] [member="Ella Nova"]

Hespera

H
There was only one thing that Hespera hated more than a bad idea - and that was a good idea executed poorly. This was a bill for pragmatists, written at a time when all the pragmatists have jumped ship. After all, in an era where all major democracies have failed, where all existing Senates were largely marginalized, who would stay on and attend meetings no one would watch to pass bills no one would care about? Idealists... well, and whatever she was. Briefly, swirling her glass of water as she watched from her Senate pod, a staffer sitting by her, she wondered if one could be an idealist if your ideal was revenge.

As it stood, the woman saw little chance of the bill passing - broad military powers, so vaguely defined? The lessons of Darth Sidious and Taeli Raaf were not so hastily unlearned: the Sith would poison any Republic with treachery, and the concentration of power outside democracy would allow for singular individuals to seize control... and be corrupted.

Waiting patiently, listening carefully, and typing on her holoscreen with lightning speed - outpacing the stenographer - she took the floor after the proposed amendment.

"My colleagues," she said, "It is with a heavy heart that our young government - albeit possessed of a rich and ancient heritage of free and popular government - meets so early in its tenure to discuss matters of the military. We can only wish that we lived in times of peace, and that we could thereby have the luxury of pacifism."

At this, she turned to [member="Sankt Yora"]. "However, in response to the Senator from Kuat, who so admirably advocates for diplomacy, we must first establish security. Unless we are a stable and well-defended ally, we are not a reliable ally, and reliability - the ability to make good on the promises we make - is the foundation of all diplomacy. Any sane neighbor will know that possessing a military is no bared fang, and any nation that demands we disarm when enemies abound is not worth having.

"As this bill stands now, I am in agreement with the Senator from Carida. Whether in the Dominion or the Galactic Alliance, the marginalization of civilian leadership in favor of the military has inevitably lead to bloat, corruption, and collapse - the heroes who protect us from our enemies and work abroad to liberate those worlds fallen under the reign of the Sith need respect, and respect means ensuring they fight for the people first, and not some unelected junta.

"I believe that the passage of a bill such as this is highly necessary for the continuance of the New Republic. As such, I motion to amend the bill as follows."

As she made the motion, the holoscreens of her fellow Senators would light up with the newest iteration of the bill, amended as follows.

[member="Tobias Dracks"] | [member="Ella Nova"] | [member="Sor-Jan Xantha"] | [member="Harley Fenstermacher "] | [member="Alexander Sannes"]

As the Vice Chancellor began to recite dates and participants to diplomatic events and treaties, the Falleen Senator leaned back in her seat. If the Vice Chancellor thought that presenting background information was a good use of debate time, she was hardly one to object. It only served to reinforce her impressions of the body as it stood now. Perhaps in time, or upon a change of leadership, the Senate would once again command the respect and gravitas due such a noble institution.

Feeling a hand on her shoulder, Yora tilted her head back and slightly to the side to see an aide reaching down with a sheet of flimsiplast in her hand. Its contents were thin, noting the non-aggression pact currently in discussion, as well as a repertoire of ongoing diplomatic channels with various other empires and organizations, but details were almost nonexistent. It was a mere coversheet, not a workbook on the New Republic's foreign policy, and it was wholly inadequate.

The Falleen Senator parsed the list with a keen eye, however, and repeated her gaze again on a line that caught her interest. The Vice Chancellor had spoken of it, but here it was in text, an achievement so laughable that to speak of it as one made Yora truly worried at the longevity of such a nation. For the New Republic was boasting of friendly relations not only with the fickle clans of the Mandalorians, as Xantha was muttering quietly by her side, but with the Tion Cooperative Organization whose worlds and territory had now been wholly subsumed by the Sith Empire. If these were the New Republic's staunchest allies, it was in a worse position than she had first realized.

Children, indeed.

All the while, the Senator from Shulstine V rattled on about security, somehow obtuse to the nature of the bill at hand. The bill's supporters, with their militant dreams, seemed deaf to the reality of the moment. This New Republic was not the Galactic Republic of old, it was neither large nor strong. Projections of strength were for a galactic power to wield, not for a regional authority like this body. With time and effort, this body could transcend its tiny footprint and grow to wield a force worthy of the Old Republic, but not today. The passage of this bill today would be a farce, a flatulence upon the galaxy, a joke that even the republic's allies would chuckle about.

Yora fingered the small chain of items within her robes, her clawed fingers tracing the symbols cut within the small, circular stones attached. She closed her eyes and breathed in quietly, drawing strength from the imprint of the talisman and what it represented. A calm settled over her, dulling the raw urges and frustrations that had screamed to be loosed upon the room. No, the Senator was a creature of decorum, especially in these halls. There would be no blood shed here today.

Yet it seemed a fruitless ambition now to work against the blood that would be shed for this bill tomorrow. She would pass the Shulstine Senator's amendment, at the very least she could maneuver to find a seat upon the proposed oversight committee, even though her vote remained a solid no on the final bill. The Senate would pass it despite itself, and see its true reflection in the eyes of the galaxy. And more work would fall upon Yora to dig this republic out from under its own bantha wool-covered eyes.

[member="Tobias Dracks"] | [member="Ella Nova"] | [member="Sor-Jan Xantha"] | [member="Harley Fenstermacher"] | [member="Alexander Sannes"] | [member=Hespera]​

-- Tobias stood up at the railing this time, it had seemed that the senators were finished with debating the proposal. Personally he has lost a great deal of power after the elections. Those loyal to him were replaced by considered independent of the Doves or the Hawks. His Patriots Party that allowed him to force through his bill and laws that where in his favor and thus the betterment of the New Republic. These New Senators were interesting to say the least, it was also those that won reelection that where going to be a problem to whip into line. His job for the time being would to be to make allies with the Senators here to get his and the Chancellors agenda passed through.

-- He Tapped his staff on floor again with a loud double Bang. "The Senate Floor is now Closed for Debate," Pausing he looked at the Senators and waited for them to be seated and calmed, "We will now move on to the Vote of the Bill Alpha-32116 starting the Chancellor Munnu Fati, Elected Representative of the Populous Majority," He tapped his staff one more time, "Chancellor Fati, you have the floor."

-- The Chancellor stood again, walking up to the railing and leaned on it, "I have listened to the debates and counterpoint of the my fellow Representatives within these senate chambers, and I must proclaim that as the elected majority Representative that we have made promises of protecting and securing the worlds that were once protected by the Galactic Alliance, these worlds are still under the threat of monstrous internal and external problems," He paused to take his weight off the railing, "As such I Vote for the Approval of Alpha-32116, with the proposed amendment attached." He nodded to the Vice Chancellor and stepped back from the railing.

-- Tobias figured the Chancellor would approve this bill, reclaiming the Core Worlds was the top priority of the ex-military man. He nodded back, knowing that he did not have a vote here, he was just the mediator and senatorial whip. He looked out at the Senators, "The Floor is now open for congressional voting, please press the approval or rejection of the bill in the terminal before you and if one wishes they can make closing remarks before voting they can request the floor and speak on behalf of the people you represent."

-- Looking out at the Floor, he knew how the two political parties were to vote. It was the newly arrived Senators would vote that was interesting to him. Would they side with the War Hawks and Vote the approval of more military expansion within the Core Worlds. Or would they side with the Peace Doves and find a more diplomatic means of dealing with the external threats. It would be interesting to see how this would turn out. The Terminals before them would have the choices of the where the Senators wished to go.

-- Proposed Bill Alpha-32116 "Enchanced Security and Protection Bill"
-- Proposed Amendment to Bill Alpha-32116

Senators:

| [member="Tobias Dracks"] |

In the days leading up to the Senate being convened to discuss, debate and vote on the proposed bill, Ella had met with each of the district governors of Humbarine's thirteen districts to do the exact same thing. She had a feeling that most, if not all the governors had each reached a decision on how they wanted the bill to be passed and as such had already made their mind up by the time they had met with their elected representative in the New Republic. Ella's job was just a formality then when it came to Humbarine's stance on the matter, but what made her job slightly more difficult was the ability to sway her fellow representatives into seeing her governments point of view. Judging by some of the responses made in this session suggested to Ella that some had either listened or had reached the same consensus as the Humbarine Council.

Lifting her hand forward Ella made sure to vote NO for the proposed bill. It was the thought of the governors that it was not Humbarine's problem, and subsequently not the problem of the New Republic, to send aid in any form to the Core worlds until such a time that they felt Humbarine and her allies in the New Republic were in a position to do so. Economically the governors felt that this was a wasted venture when Humbarine (and her allies) were still in a financial situation that they felt was untenable towards the expansion of military powers, particularly if said powers led to the assistance of world's that weren't even member states of the New Republic.

As Ella leaned backwards in her seat, waiting for her fellow Senators to finish voting, she wondered what the Humbarine Council's response would be if the bill did pass. Would they see her performance in the matter to be unsatisfactory in their eyes, in such an event? They probably would, small minded creatures they might be. The issue then would not be the petty emotions or feelings that came with something being done against ones wishes but how that thing can be undone later on, and that was where Ella's mind was at as she considered the vote that was happening. Was this how she got what she wanted?

-- The Vice Chancellor looked over the vote as each of the Senators looked through their decission on the Matter. It was going to be an iteresting vote as this would be the Republic first Vote within the New Republic Senate. It looked like they were planning to have this turn into a blow out. He only nodded as the last of the votes were counted and Representative were shown per their leaning.

-- He tapped his staff and stood before the senate again. "The voting has been concluded and the polls have now been closed." He pulled up a larger Hologram that was placed in the center of the Chamber. The approval of the Bill had passed. "By a vote of four against and six in approval with the Amendment attached, Bill Alpha-32116 has passed into Republic Law, we will discuss the appointment of Chairman of the Military Oversight Committee and the two Committee Members at a later date to have our Senators meet and discuss the matter at hand." He paused to let that sit in, "Until the Committee has been decided it will continue to fall under the preview of the Provisional Government and the Chancellors War Ministry."

-- Letting the Senators chatter for a second as they spoke to their aids to set up meetings and catch up with allies. "This Senate will be adjourned to meet again in a month to discuss the Economic Reforms and Trade Resolution for the improvement of the Republics Rising Economic Power." He tapped his staff for a last time, "I thank the Senators for taking the time out of their day to discuss these matters, this session is now over."

-- Proposed Bill Alpha-32116 "Enchanced Security and Protection Bill" [Reject]
-- Proposed Amendment to Bill Alpha-32116 [Approve]

Senators:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom