Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Senate Voting Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to propose the following:

If a Senator proposes a bill, that bill must include a voting poll. The bill thread is kept open for one week, during which time it can be debated and voted upon. All bills are subject to a simple majority. At the end of the seven days the bill is approved or rejected.

If a senator misses three votes in a row and/or three votes in a six month period without a posted LOA, that senator is removed from office and barred from holding a senate seat for a period of one year real-time.

The object of this is to keep the senate active, and to discourage people from creating joke characters or characters meant to prop up someone else's character (or sock puppet).

Kay-Larr

Sphaera Tea Company Owner
I think that we had a similar structure in the past, when the Senate was more active. I only joined in the summer, so I'm not sure how things were before that.

What shall we do if there is a tie? Have the Supreme Chancellor make the deciding vote?

Lobbying is fine, but I agree that people shouldn't create a Senate character to prop up someone else's character or another one of their own that are not a part of the Republic.

[member="Jack Sparrow"]

We have always done a IC vote, and it was supposed to be for one week that the debate/Vote went on. When the Senate went a little more quiet I believe they gave more time.

IC physical vote, or push a button makes little difference to me how it is done.

[member="Lady Kay"] [member="Jack Sparrow"]

And remember, we aren't trying to reinvent the wheel, there were things that worked quite well, and other things that did not.

[member="Faith Balor-Organa"], I respectfully disagree. The Senate was long threads of people debating and nothing formal being posted as resolved. I'm asking for a quantifiable, agreed upon process to submit, vote, and track bills and proposals so that they don't drag on or remain in limbo, especially in the middle of wars and trials and other fast-moving IC things.

Kay-Larr

Sphaera Tea Company Owner
[member="Mantic Dorn"] [member="Jack Sparrow"] [member="Faith Balor-Organa"]

With the creation of the new Senate list, many inactive Senators were already removed.

But what you propose for activity levels sounds fair to me.

Good ideas for sure! :)

Just a thought, but maybe not temove a senatorunless we got a replacement that want to represent the planet.
I can see some writers returning after a few months of inactivity that might leave the senate RP if their seat is taken but if it is not might be a valuable contributor to political rp.

Again, just a thought.

[member="Mantic Dorn"], if the idea is to increase interest in the Republic and promote character responsibility, we need to hold writers accountable for their characters. I'd rather have four active senators participating in the process than 12 planets represented by people who only turn up when they have a personal stake in a situation.

[member="Jack Sparrow"] [member="Faith Balor-Organa"]
Sure thing. If you agree, Shall we leave this thread open for a few more days to give folk a chance to chime in before setting it as an actual rule?

FYI - [member="Gir Quee"] [member="Lady Kay"]

Nick Sept

Worst Ghost in the Galaxy
A poll should include an "abstain" option as well as yay or nay, as we should not be force to "miss" a vote we can't vote for for IC reasons (conflict of interest, literally no IC opinion, weird political arguments).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom