Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Senate Vote (Republic Welcome)

[member="Mark Crassis"] | [member="Adder Dawnracer"]​
The Senate had only just formed and he was elected into a position of power to represent the interest of the people of Teth and Lirra. Both planets were becoming the back bone of the military complex that was for training and was in the process of being the mooring for the Republic Navy. He would fight hard to have Teth the economic powerhouse the Republic needed it to be. However, today's meeting was for a different reason then to have the Jedi that was fighting and dying on the front lines to have a voice in the Senate.

The Senate building was still under construction by the few companies that were working with the Republic such as the UTC and Republic Industries. As such the main Senate chambers were not complete. The meeting of the few senators and representatives were to be held in a forum that was in one of the wings of the constructed building. Several seats were open for the senators and the chancellor sat at the head of the round chamber. The meeting was just to get starting, the senators would be seated as the Chancellor stood up and made the announcement. "This meeting will now commence at the request of the Senator of Teth, Senator Dracks." He looked over to Dracks and sat back down.

From his seat and the two reps behind him, he stood up to address the group and stepped forward to the center of the chamber. His tall being and military posture that was drilled into his being overwhelmed the room as he readied himself to speak, "Thank you Chancellor, I would like to bring the attention of the Jedi Order that has offered their assistance to the Republic in our darkest time of need and have not staggered in their ability and willingness to risk their beliefs in order to being the Law of the Republic to the unlawful reign of the Hutt Territories in these resent weeks." He pressed a button on the center of the table to allow all senators to see the bill he offered in today's meeting. "I say that with their sacrifice they have not just earned a voice within the Senate, but also our respect to defend our charter, as such I have offered the Jedi Integration Bill before the Senate, allowing Jedi Master [member="Kian Karr"] to appoint an Adviser that not just is allowed to attend these meetings, but have a vote in matters that effect their Order," He paused to have that last part sink in with the senators, "and with that I now free the floor to the Chancellor." He stepped back from the center table and stayed standing by his seated area.

The Chancellor stood up again and spoke, "The floor is now open to discussion on Senator Dracks offered Bill."

Adder Dawnracer

A
Adder sat gripping his cane, listening to what the Senator of Teth had to say. The Jedi were certainly useful, but he couldn't disagree more with the proposal. That said, he indicated he wished to speak and waited to be called upon.

"Chancellor and honorable senators," he began as he stood slowly, leaning heavily on his cane. "I acknowledge the assistance the Jedi have given and do believe that they are valuable members of our Republic. But I seem to recall that one of the primary downfalls of our Republic in the past, and a reason we are a remnant now, is because the Jedi took too much control of our government and our military, and used it for their resources, rather than in the interest of the people. Now, I don't believe that our current crop of Jedi are the same as those, but at the same time, I don't want to see what happened before happen again. It is the belief of this Republic, to my understanding, that all people are to be treated the same. That means that the Jedi, while gifted with abilities that most of us do not have, are free to practice their beliefs, but must entertain themselves as normal citizens.

"I do not believe that it is in the best interest of the Republic to start giving them a position on the senate. It sets a precedent which could ultimately lead to the problems of before. The Jedi need to trust in the senate to do what's right for the people. All the people, including them. If they want to serve the Republic in a position of prominence, and are from a member world, they can become senators. Having a Jedi appointed as a Jedi Senator is not how this government works, and I strongly oppose the proposed bill."

With his piece said, he took a seat once more.

[member="Tobias Dracks"] [member="Mark Crassis"]

Harley Fenstermacher

remeber it's not personal, just buiness
Being a senator was rather a new experience, not something Harley ever though would be a potion something someone of their likes would fit into, but being one of the most prominent people on Na Haaska, along with the HLCS company based on the planet it was bound to happen on way or another. As such the Echani had approached the Republic Remnant about becoming the trade planets representative in the senate, something which they accepted, wanting to quell any murmuring from the Hutt world. If someone like Harley was willing to join the Remnant the rest of the planet did not have much room to complain about.

Sitting aside both arguments where brought forward, each with ups and down, but neither totally agreeable unless the chancellor was willing to possible add something to the bill. Giving a small clap of the hand for [member="Adder Dawnracer"] the arms trader stood up, preparing to make another case and point on the matter at hand, "Well Mister Dawnracer you raise a good point, *ahem* chancellor, other senators, as stated by the 'esteemed' representative of Nadiem the Jedi are no politicians, more a religious combat sect at their core that lends us aid against people like the Sith empire giving our troops a better chance on the front line". "I however believe that the Jedi should have some say in the senate, after all the whole ideal of the republic is that all citizen have their say no"? "As such I myself am not one to oppose this bill, the only requirement that I have is this representative that the Jedi appoint must have diplomatic training and be unbiased in the senate when debating issues, not seeking to benefit the order or himself".

"If this requirement is met I will be more then glad to vote yes for this bill to go through, I thank you for your time ladies and gentlemen", giving a small bow, the Na Haaska representative retook their seat, leaving the floor to anyone else that may want to step forward. Though at this current time the Republic did not have a huge amount of planets under their control, the stands being largely unoccupied by actual senators. As for the bill, if the chancellor was willing to add his demands to the prerequisite of skills then it would be one against one, a tie with but one person to pass the vote and make it legal.

[member="Tobias Dracks"]

Dracks stepped forward from his seating and every step carried the weight of a confident person, he straightened his back and placed his hands behind his back. Looking to the Chancellor, he placed his hand on the table in the middle of the room and nodded his head as he was taking the floor. "These are good points senators," His reptilian yellow eyes looked over to [member="Adder Dawnracer"], "However the reason the Republic before us went to waist, was because of the distance between the Force Users, seen as all powerful beings that would protect their borders, we have a powerful Army and a nearly unbreakable Navy that was built not by the Jedi or the Sith, but by Citizens of this Prestigious Republic."

The Jedi Order was a supporting role that expanded the Republics Boarders. The true hero's were the Non-Force Using generals, admirals, and intelligent agents that served on the front lines. The Jedi just cleaned up and policed the regions after the Army had rolled through for the most part. He continued his argument, "One thing that the Republic before us failed in was giving the Force Users too much power, and not uniting them, it is our duty as representatives of our citizens to protect their interest, and that means giving the Jedi a voice and uniting them under the leadership of the Republic Senate just as we have done with the Dominion Forces under Field Marshal [member="Cedric Grayson"] which is another example of a Force User serving under a Non-Force User and this Great Institution."

He was about to walk back to his seat when he lifted one of his hands from behind his back, raising his finger to the sky like he had an Ah-Ha Moment. "However," He turned to face the rest of the Senators. "I would like to add an amendment to the Bill."

Walking to the table and typed with one hand before sending it to the rest of the senators. "Sources have informed me that the Jedi Enclave that have entered our service is planning to migrate to the planet of Ciomia, I would add that this planet be under the protection of the Jedi Enclave in service of the Republic and would elect their senator and assist their efforts to create the Jedi Order of Old." The Senator again stepped away from the table to opened the floor for discussion.

The Chancellor looked over the amendment and nodded his head in approval of the addition. Though he did show his discontent and supporting the side more of Senator Dawnracer.

[member="Harley"] Fenstermacher [member="Mark Crassis"]

Mark Crassis slipped into the chamber just before Tobias Dracks had made his proposal, his wooden cane tapping lightly on the floor as he made his way to his seat. It had been a product few months since the Republic had moved their base of operations to Ciomia. Crassis had slowly, but surely re-established many of his reliable sources of information throughout several sectors. It still was not the information base he had when he was at his prime, but it was sufficient for now. New relationships and allegiances would need to be established if he was to get back to the level of knowledge he once had access to.

But intelligence gathering had not been Crassis's only work over the past few months. Crassis had spent a great deal of time getting to know the senior magistrates of the Ciomian government. The result had been exactly as he had hoped. The Ciomian's, isolated for so long, had little knowledge of galactic politics. That, coupled with the inability of the senior magistrates to willingly share power, put Crassis in a perfect position to negotiate among them. Crassis had spent the last few months getting to know each of the senior magistrates, aiding them in understanding more global politics, and ingratiating them to him.

When the time came for the Ciomian's to put forth a senator, Crassis had already done such a nice job of planting the idea in the leaders head that they all went to work for his nomination. It was decided that Crassis, not being a native of the planet, would take on a temporary senatorial position for a period of two years for the Ciomians to get acclimated to the Republic Remnant's governing policies and activities. Then a new election would be had.

With 2 years to prepare, Crassis was certain that election would not be a problem. Running his hand over the carving of a crow on his cane, Crassis sat back and considered the proposition put forward by Senator Dracks. Giving the Jedi a voice in the senate.....it was an interesting notion and one that made Crassis....uncomfortable. Politics made sense to Crassis because it was made up of politicians....Jedi were another thing entirely. Besides this, Crassis had never been comfortable with the blending of Jedi and politics, it was why he took his services to the Republic Remnant instead of falling in line with the Galactic Alliance. Politics often required doing things one did not like, things that went against personal codes and principles in order to protect those you governed, and Jedi were not usually willing to compromise on their principles in the way necessary to effectively govern.

"I can see the benefit of having a liaison between our government and the Jedi Order. While they are merely citizens unless enlisted, they are still a valuable resource we benefit from using." Crassis considered this while shifting his hand back and forth between his hands. "Perhaps this can be assigned to a committee or a senator? An individual who the Jedi can go to to request funds or ask for things and who can make recommendations to the senate? And likewise, a person who can go to the Jedi to ask for their assistance?"

"This would allow us to establish a relationship with the order while keeping them out of holding political positions." Crassis said shrugging and wishing people were not looking at him so he could take a swig of the whiskey in his front pocket. "This senator, could in theory, be a Jedi if they have a respective planet willing to appoint them to such a position."

When the conversation suddenly shifted to a Jedi Order establishing a homebase on Ciomia, Crassis nodded along. The request for funding had been shown to him by the senior magistrates. As it turned out, the Jedi were planning on establishing a base of operations on the capital world and wished to have the senior magistrates of Ciomia fund the project. From what Crassis had gathered, the senior magistrates were already discussing terms to fund the project, as they wished to benefit from having the Jedi on Ciomia. Then the coversation shifted further to a Jedi Senator being appointed from Ciomia and Crassis narrowed his eyes.

"I'm afraid," Crassis said leaning forward on his cane, "That the position of senator of Ciomia has been filled." Crassis said tipping his head and raising his hand nonchalantly. "Last week the districts of Ciomia voted to have me appointed on a shortened, 2-year, term. I've subsequently resigned my position of Senator-in-Absentia and taken up the mantle of the senator of Ciomia. The swearing in ceremony took place yesterday morning." Crassis said shrugging.

"I'm also curious," Crassis said, a thought occurring to him, "whether or not the Jedi want to have a senator?"

"From what I've heard of the Order so far, nothing has indicated to me that they are interested in political positions. But perhaps I am wrong?" Crassis said turning to senator Dracks. "Do you know if the Jedi wish for this?"

[member="Tobias Dracks"] [member="Harley Fenstermacher"] [member="Adder Dawnracer"]​

Adder Dawnracer

A
Adder waited for Mark to finish before speaking again.

"Realistically if they have concerns they should do what every other citizen if the Republic should do and take it to their senator. For the ones soon to reside on Ciomia that would be Senator Crassis. For those on Nadiem that would be me. Everyone is the same in the Republic regardless of the Force. Nobody gets special treatment. Or, I should say, they shouldn't.

"This Republic is meant to be fair and equal to all. Appointing a special senator for one group wouldn't be fair to others. Jedi are free to serve in the senate if they can get a world to fair and freely elect them. Some of our world's haven't elected senators yet. Or they can come to those they already have. We don't hide anything from them."

He took a moment to pause for a sip of ester before continuing.

"If, however, it is that great a concern then I side with Senator Crassis and his proposal. Though I remain adamant that such avenues exist to them through the Senator of Ciomia and myself."

[member="Mark Crassis"] [member="Tobias Dracks"] [member="Harley Fenstermacher"]

Harley Fenstermacher

remeber it's not personal, just buiness
Harley did not know much about the Jedi order of Republic in the past, only that the Jedi where not given much of a say in the senate the same was an actual senator would. As such [member="Tobias Dracks"] argument had a bearing to it, force users where not to be given authority without earning it first, automatically giving them power would just be too like the Sith Empire and their Sith Lords where those gifted in the force where put in charge. Even if said person had no experience in political or military roles, probably why they had to resort to such drastic means to keep the so-called peace they so often showed in them of so flawless propaganda.

The following speech from the suddenly appearing senator of Ciomia brought a small smile to Harley's face, being a little funny to see Dracks proposition shot down, but the talk on having a liaison between the Jedi and senate sounded reasonable. Maybe a neutral party of sorts that wold relay a message back and forth between each group, though talk of a possible Jedi senator seemed a little too out of the park. The Jedi had their own order ranking structure, and muddling that up with senate positions did not sounds like a good idea unless the senator was the one who ran the planet the Jedi temple was based on, which again had already been taken,

Still though the Echani could not entirely agree with these option, more so [member="Adder Dawnracer"] and his instant no one be treated special mentality. yes, the man had humble beginnings and had worked his way to power, something they had in common, sightly, but the Jedi were not mere citizen like everyone else that could be treated the same. The Jedi worked just as hard and chose to be a part of the republic, chose to lend their strength out of their good will and kindness, not something the galaxy treats very nicely. They had no obligation to protect the worlds they live on, so simply treating them a 'just like every citizen' seemed like a kick in the gut. Once again with everyone said and done Harley once again took the stage, "While [member="Mark Crassis"] proposal does seem agreeable with the prospect of Jedi making their way into different fields like regular citizens I have one question to ask, what makes anyone think they would understand what would be best for the Jedi order, let me explain".

"Your proposal states that the Jedi on whatever world their enclave resides should come to their planetary senator and asks them to bring forward their argument in the senate, but tell me do either of you know how the Jedi work on the inside"? "Do you have any idea on the force, the beliefs and what not? How would you two as senators be able to properly bring forward the Jedi's proposal in here and properly relay it without having inside knowledge on the order, how can you be sure your own views and values do not affect said message"? A silence came over the senate building as Harley let the questions sink in, before conditioning with the earlier proposal for a select representative. "Though I myself am not really one to agree on a Jedi senator, it would be easier for a more direct unbiased route to the orders head then using several layers of bureaucracy when bringing an issue, they may have to the table".

Crassis listened quietly, his eyes studying Senator [member="Harley Fenstermacher"] as he spoke. Crassis felt a bit of energy building in his tired and aging bones. It had been a long time since a healthy debate had been had with fellow senators and it felt good to get to the process of governing. Crassis leaned forward on his cane as the younger man spoke. Crassis knew almost nothing about the Jedi, the force, or the strange practices of their religion.

"You are correct, Senator Fenstermacher." Crassis said after the man had finished. "But then again, I do not know the customs of the people of Nadiem either. Nor do I know the various cultural norms of Teth....or even Ciomia, whom I've recently come to serve." Crassis said shrugging.

"The Republic is vast. Made up of various cultures and societies that share similarities and stark differences. That is one of the most wonderful things about the Republic."

"We serve our people through following our consciences and listening to them when they want something of us. It is why we all hold meetings and set time aside to speak with delegations from the worlds we govern. I strive to learn as much as I can about those I serve but my lack of knowledge in some areas does not mean I am incapable of serving them. If we must fill the senate halls only with those who know everything about their people....we would have no senate."

Crassis sat back and glanced around the chamber as he spoke.

"Should the Jedi wish for something they are free to reach out to their representatives, just as other citizens do." Crassis said, "Should they feel we are not representing their interests, they can vote against us or get a nomination from their planet and run for senate themselves."

"As I have proposed, a liaison between the Jedi Order and the Senate may be beneficial in that Jedi are not bound to any one planet in which they can seek out a representative, yet I do not believe giving them political power beyond that of an ordinary citizen is the right path to take the Republic down."

[member="Adder Dawnracer"] | [member="Tobias Dracks"]​

Tobias was had the Representatives of Lirra and the Teth Government whispering in his earphone. He was aware that Ciomia was close to having a senator elected, as such it was the reason it came to his head. He was not informed however, that the government had decided on having someone stand in for the planets interest within the Republic. It was a bold move on their part and he was mostly unaware of how the planet wished to being itself to their current decision as their culture was a mystery to most. Teth on the other hand had an industry and farmland that was currently feeding the Republic and its forces. His plan to unite both senate and the Jedi and allow the enclave the full authority to become a Jedi Order had failed. However there is still some room for a minor victory as he saw it the Jedi were not soldiers and not all were trained military background. The Military had General Awaud to fight for them, they had earned the right to have their true voices be heard, instead of scanned over and missed due to their still infants Republic Bureaucracy.

He looked to Senator in Standing [member="Mark Crassis"], "Your question is valid, do the Jedi wish to even have the power of a Senator thrust upon them," He looked around the room to the rest of the senators and Chancellor. It was truly a good question, he had been informed that they would like a voice, even some who preferred the Senate stay out of their beliefs. "In truth the Enclave had not made any notion towards wishing a representation in this chamber," He paused again to take a breath, "However, we should take the initiative in showing our gratitude towards those who lay their life on the lines volunteering, soldiers receive metals and are seen as heroes for their sacrifice, while a Jedi only receives a pat on the back and ready themselves for the next mission."

He realized he was getting a little connected with what he was saying and cleared his throat with a hard single cough. He had a point to this all and decided to offer another suggestion. "I will leave another option open for suggestion, a separation of State and Order, the Jedi Order will be seen as an Organization that will be outside the power of a singular Senator, but will bound by Republic Law, a committee may be assigned instead to the Orders request and a Speaker who has not ability to Vote within the Republic, and finally, all lands under the charter of the Jedi Order will be separate and seen outside the power of the Planets Senator, and be switched over to the Jedi Appropriations Committee overseen by the Chancellor."

Jaster had warned him that Force Users were a powerful lot, and allowing them to govern themselves then answer to a group of politicians that did not properly understand their way of life. The Jedi would still be seen as under Republic Law, but they would be give the freedom like those within the Order before the Clone Wars of the Ancient Republic. He remembered stories where the Senate would ask the Order to send a Jedi somewhere to act as a Diplomat for the Senate Itself.

[member="Harley"] Fenstermacher [member="Adder Dawnracer"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom