Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Senate Restructuring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
Okay, been talking about it for a while now, but haven't had time to put it up.

The Senate will be restructured a bit differently in the near future. Taking inspiration from the US government and altering it so that it actually works, this is how it'll go:

The Senate
- The Senate will be where the laws are created and decisions made. Just like Congress, these guys have a lot of power with a majority vote and can remove the Supreme Chancellor with a Vote of No Confidence. The Senate can also give the Supreme Chancellor Emergency Powers in the event of... Well, an emergency.

The Supreme Chancellor
- Made up of the entire office of the Supreme Chancellor despite the name, this is where laws that are put forward by the Senate are approved or vetoed. The Supreme Chancellor acts as the head of state and chief ambassador for the Republic. He or she can also ask for the Senate to create a law to be passed through the Senate, but cannot put it forward himself. In the event of war, the Supreme Chancellor must ask the Senate to declare a State of War before committing military assets to long term martial engagements.

The Magistrates
- Designated and voted into place by the Senate, these folks determine the legality of laws and actions for both the Senate and the Supreme Chancellor. They also hold hearings for Republic Officials that break the law as well as hearing the trials for major criminals in the galaxy who are brought before them.

Emergency Powers
- Given to the Supreme Chancellor only by a majority vote on the Senate. These powers allow the Chancellor to bypass the Senate and Magistrates for rapid and decisive actions in an emergency situation. These powers are relinquished after the end of the crisis. Only active Senators can propose to give Emergency Powers. The Magistrates and the Supreme Chancellor cannot call for this to be voted on.

Thoughts, questions, comments, ideas?

I approve. I have also started a check in a couple of days ago for the Senate.

Senate Members and Committees Check in.

If we can put in place something along the lines of this for the Senate and all that goes within it, would be awesome.

[background=#232323]If members of this council are inactive for 2+ weeks (without LOA notification), there will be a reassessment of which PCs should be involved. Sound good? This is similar to the overhaul prompted by the cold silence from Carn.[/background]

Jorga the Hutt

When life gives you Mandos, make Mando'ade
Hold up a second. You mean we actually get to propose, work on, and vote on legislation without it being vetoed sans appeal by faction staff?

I'm not sure I can tolerate this much actual democracy. Nor my sudden suspicion that it might actually be possible to play a senator now. I think the freedom's giving me hives.

Kira Talith

Kinetic Communication at its finest my Chick-e-dee
Bard of the Hyperlanes said:
Hold up a second. You mean we actually get to propose, work on, and vote on legislation without it being vetoed sans appeal by faction staff?

I'm not sure I can tolerate this much actual democracy. Nor my sudden suspicion that it might actually be possible to play a senator now. I think the freedom's giving me hives.

But you would do SOOO well with this! [member="Bard of the Hyperlanes"] :p

Jsc

Disney's Princess
I have a tiny concern. In StarWars, Senators are gifted with the ability to lobby legislation in favor of their planetary or sector concerns. However on CHAOS, is has been observed that Senators often work in favor of the Metagame or their own personal agendas. Infiltration and personal glory has been a concern and a problem in the past. Organization, record keeping, character appointment, and even fair planetary representation, has been a concern and problem in the past.

So I was wondering how the Faction Administration plans to moderate or eliminate these types of actions. And this doesn't even have to mean policy or rules or anything. I'd just like to know your mindset.

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
The Senate
- The Senate will be where the laws are created and decisions made. Just like Congress, these guys have a lot of power with a majority vote and can remove the Supreme Chancellor with a Vote of No Confidence. The Senate can also give the Supreme Chancellor Emergency Powers in the event of... Well, an emergency.

• Each System will have 2 Senators
  • There will be a check in for the Senate once every 6 weeks
  • Senate check ins will be mandatory for all Senators
  • Senators have 2 weeks to check in without an announced LOA
  • Senators who fail to check in within the 2 week grace period after the posting of the Check In will be removed from the Senator Roster
  • Any faction member has the right to debate and vote, using an NPC Senator (Abuse of this ability will not be tolerated).
  • Non-Senate faction members should avoid speaking in the Senate unless their testimony or input is requested.
  • Bills may be placed before the Senator using the appropriate template.
  • Before a bill reaches a vote, it should have some kind of IC background. Backroom deals, Senate debates, or gathering support might make a thread count as a development thread for a bill. Standard SWRP dev thread standards apply: At least ten quality posts.
  • The Supreme Chancellor may veto a bill, unless the bill attains a supermajority (2/3) of the Senate. Additionally, a vetoed bill can be re-voted.

The Office of the Supreme Chancellor
- The Office of the Supreme Chancellor includes the Chancellor and his personal staff, as well as the Vice Chair. The Supreme Chancellor acts as the head of state and chief ambassador for the Republic. He or she can also ask for the Senate to create a law to be passed through the Senate, but cannot put it forward himself. He can veto any bill that does not pass with a 2/3 supermajority. In the event of war, the Supreme Chancellor must ask the Senate to declare a State of War before committing military assets to long term martial engagements. During a State of War, the Supreme Chancellor acts as the Republic's Commander and Chief of the military.

The Magistrates
- Formerly the Judicial Committee, the Magistrates keep the rest of the Republic in line with the Republic's legal system. Selected from the more experienced Senators by the Supreme Chancellor and approved by the Senate, the Magistrates monitor the Senate and the Supreme Chancellor to ensure that all aspects of the Republic Government are kept within the boundaries dictated by Law. The Magistrates also hold trials for Republic officials who have violated Republic Law, Enemies of the State, and criminals who have committed atrocities against the Republic and its citizens.

Emergency Powers
- Given to the Supreme Chancellor only by a majority vote on the Senate. These powers allow the Chancellor to entirely bypass the Senate and Magistrates for rapid and decisive actions in an emergency situation. These powers are relinquished after the end of the crisis. Only active, PC Senators can propose to give Emergency Powers. The Magistrates and the Supreme Chancellor cannot call for this to be voted on. A vote for Emergency Powers requires its own thread and will be open for one week before the thread is closed and votes are tallied.

Alright, folks. First round of edits are done. Questions? Comments? Ideas? Thoughts?

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Supermajority is 2/3 of the Senate.

Every member can NPC a Senator to vote.

Senate check ins will be mandatory.

Therefore: Senate = Faction?

It doesn't sound like the Senate is a faction but the Galactic Republic in it's own right and how it's supposed to be done.

I do not see anywhere I could question as a member of the faction because it's cut and cry, plain and simple. It's the way a government functions.

I like it, support it and am for it. I would like to see further changes.

In addition, before anyone blasts me, I think the check ins aren't really a bad thing. Accountability. If you're not on LOA then shouldn't you be able to be held accountable to some extent?

I mean isn't communication critical in these types of things. I mean correct me if I'm wrong here but I see alot of LOA and Communication on a consistent basis, even if it's for a day or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom