Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Senate Floor: Jedi Assisting Military Sectors Act

Though Yora had been a member of the Republic's Senate for a short time, she had already established a name for herself in the Senate. Known as a member of sharp wit and keen intelligence, some of her colleagues had already expressed their private satisfaction with her thoughts and ideas. To that end, the Senator from Cyrillia had endeavored to gain a better understanding of the political climate of the Senate, to further ingratiate herself into the minds of its membership as well as secure her own position among her adopted constituents.

There was a subject that seemed to be on the minds of many as of late, only briefly discussed in the recent amendment to the Republic's charter. With that bill's language established, there was little Yora could do so soon after its ratification to usher in sweeping changes to the role of the Jedi Order within the Galactic Republic. Still, it was possible to move the minds a centimeter at a time, enough effort would quickly add up, and the end result could still arrive.

But that day was still far off.

Clearing her throat, the Falleen Senator stood before the assemblage, many already tuning in via hologram from their homeworlds or ships, some of which already en route to the new capitol on Chazwa. Even the Prime Minister had taken her leave, though rumors abounded that it was of a more personal nature, leaving the Finance Minister in her stead. Unabated, Yora addressed the Senate to present her first measure to the body, a tepid curiosity hovering just below the surface, waiting to take the pulse of the crowd after her speech.

"Members of the Senate, honored colleagues and Madam Interim Prime Minister, I come before you today to discuss a matter dear to all our hearts. I am speaking, of course, of our friends in the Jedi Order."

She paused, knowing the Senate would react as politicians did. The Jedi were an integral part of the Republic, and a freshman Senator proposing a bill that affected them was a risky venture. Yora was keenly aware that all optical organs were now trained upon her, waiting with rapt attention. She barely blinked at the change in atmosphere, and continued as if nothing had happened. "Our righteous champions work hard to preserve the unity and freedoms we all take for granted each day, the ability to go about our business without fears that the wrong words or a mistaken action will land us in jail, or worse. These are the harsh realities of the worlds dominated by the Sith, and our Jedi friends are the cornerstone to our defenses."

"But we have another group of defenders who work tirelessly to keep us safe. Our Republic Defense Forces are there on the front lines, too, working day in and day out so we can rest easy. The actions of both of our stalwart defenders should be applauded and praised."

"So, my friends, let us take a moment to evaluate how these bodies defend us. The Jedi Order is a friend who serves the Republic, but their members are sworn to the Jedi Council. In our time of war, deliberation leads to inaction, and many lives may be lost while a group of masters sit in council. I ask that we respect the Jedi's primary mission, to defend and protect. To do this, I propose the following binding resolution to this body."

Jedi Assisting Military Sectors (JAMS) Act said:
  • Whereas, members of the Jedi Order are well-trained in combat situations, and...
  • Whereas, Jedi combatants are highly effective against both Force-using opponents and non, and...
  • Whereas, the Republic Defense Force could benefit from both the expertise and the combat presence of Jedi members, and...
  • Whereas, the Jedi Order and Republic Defense Forces, and its predecessors, have carried out joint operations in the past, so...
  • Therefore, be it resolved that any member of the Jedi Order willing and able to serve in the Republic Defense Force...
    be allowed to do so, and...
  • be granted the rank and privilege befitting their position such that...
    any serving Jedi Master be granted at least the rank of General, and...
  • any serving Jedi Knight be granted at least the rank of Major, and...
  • any serving Jedi Padawan be granted at least the rank of Commander, and...

[*]be granted an increase in grade and rank, when appropriate, by their direct military superior, and...

[*]Be it further resolved that the Jedi Grandmaster and Supreme Commander of the Republic Defense Forces coordinate and balance the operational duties of such Jedi, and...
[*]Be it further resolved that the Jedi Order and Republic Defense Forces maintain distinct combat-oriented organizations such that...
  • these organizations may exist in parallel, and...
  • these organizations may jointly operate, and...
  • these organizations shall not be subsumed by the existence of a similar organization within the opposing branch.

[member="Abagail Vintai"] | [member="Akatan Adasca"] | [member="Arthur d'Angele"] | [member="Ater Notechis"] | [member="Aurelia Volcata"] | [member="Cecily de Demici"] | [member="Danny Colen"] | [member="Faith Balor-Organa"] | [member="Geneviève Lasedri"] | [member="Josef Levik"] | [member="Lady Kay"] | [member="Lionel Roux"] | [member="Lyra Arcturus"] | [member="Macharius Solaire"] | [member="Mark Crassis"] | [member="Max Rumor"] | [member="Ned Rostu"] | [member="Ordon Trozky"] | [member="Persephone Callas"] | [member="Soliael Devin Talith"]| [member="Valen Cerezo"] | [member="Volko Hydori"] | [member="Zalaam Na"]​

skin, bone, and arrogance
It was Aurelia's moment in the spotlight -- to hell with it being a bill of the creation of [member="Sankt Yora"]! -- as interim Prime Minister during the absence of [member="Geneviève Lasedri"]. It was her privilege as senior minister in the cabinet, and if she wasn't much mistaken it put her other cabinet colleague's nose out of joint. That was just gravy. At the beginning of the session, she ascended the podium and took Lasedri's gavel. It was weighty, this instrument, and powerful. But like all instruments, it was meant to be used, sot he Minister of Finance hefted and then banged the gavel. "Members will come to order for this session of the Republic Senate," she called into the microphone. There was shuffling as Senators filed in, and she waited until everything was quiet before peering down at her order sheet.

"I am advised by the Parliamentary Secretary that the first order of business today is a legislative proposal by the Honorable Member for Cyrillia, Senate Bill Nine Zero Three One, the Jedi Assisting Military Sectors Act." JAMS, a quiet voice murmured in Aurelia's head, causing her to smirk. It might have been a joke that Geneviève might make. "Very well," Aurelia said, glancing across the chamber to [member="Sankt Yora"]. "The Chair recognizes the Senator from the sovereign system of Cyrillia. Senator."

She sat on the bench, leaning over to take a word of commendation from the parliamentary secretary to her left. When Sankt Yora had proposed her legislation, Aurelia resumed her feet. "Thank you, Senator. The Chair will now open the floor for debate with a reminder to the Honorable Members to please observe proper parliamentary decorum. Carry on."

[member="Abagail Vintai"] | [member="Akatan Adasca"] | [member="Arthur d'Angele"] | [member="Ater Notechis"] | @Aurelia Volcata | [member="Cecily de Demici"] | [member="Danny Colen"] | [member="Daren Silvari"] | [member="Faith Balor-Organa"] | [member="Geneviève Lasedri"] | [member="Josef Levik"] | [member="Lady Kay"] | [member="Lionel Roux"] | [member="Lyra Arcturus"] | [member="Macharius Solaire"] | [member="Mark Crassis"] | [member="Max Rumor"] | [member="Ned Rostu"] | [member="Ordon Trozky"] | [member="Persephone Callas"] | [member="Soliael Devin Talith"]| [member="Valen Cerezo"] | [member="Volko Hydori"] | [member="Zalaam Na"]

Kay-Larr

Sphaera Tea Company Owner
Kay wasn't there this time. Though she appeared via holovid, holding her datapad as she went through the bill. Was it really necessary? The whole thing gave her a bad feeling, as though it was the first step onto a dangerous path. And one that would have personal consequences.

She cleared her throat a bit before speaking, "Honourable Senators and Ministers, I question the very need for this bill. Senator Yora states that it is to save lives by ending deliberations by the Jedi Council. But are we not guilty of doing the same thing? We deliberate on whether or not to intervene in a conflict or defend one of our worlds from attacks, the same as the Jedi Council would. So I fail to see the need to create a bill to promote co-operation that is already in place. It seems more to me like a bill garnered to control the Jedi than anything else. So while lives are being lost at this very moment due to inaction by the Republic, I feel that this is just a waste of time. To put it simply, Commenor will not support this bill."

[member="Sankt Yora"] [member="Aurelia Volcata"]

[SIZE=12pt]This was one of those times when knowing what the military thought would come in handy. Did the military even want to follow the orders of a jedi, there were some among the ranks that had little to no respect for the jedi order, and blame was a rampant virus.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Faith stood up, “I would ask, what does the Supreme Commander, and those that serve under him think of having Jedi within their ranks?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]She nodded, and sat down. She knew not long ago that the Jedi served in the Republic as officers, but she knew it had been changed except at the moment she couldn’t remember why it had been changed, was it the whim of a Grandmaster or the Will of the then sitting Prime Minister.[/SIZE]

Abagail Vintai | Akatan Adasca | Arthur d'Angele | Ater Notechis | [member="Aurelia Volcata"] | Cecily de Demici | Danny Colen | Daren Silvari | Geneviève Lasedri | Josef Levik |Lady Kay | Lionel Roux | Lyra Arcturus | Macharius Solaire | Mark Crassis | Max Rumor | Ned Rostu | Ordon Trozky | Persephone Callas | Soliael Devin Talith| Valen Cerezo | Volko Hydori | @Zalaam Na

Like Lady Kay, the Shili Senator, Zalaam Na was also patched in by holovideo. She was currently touring the devastation of Ruusan after the Sith invaded and the subsequent building efforts.

After a pause wherein she knew the attention was on her holoform on the Senate floor she said, "I am presently among our Jedi forces as they painstakingly repair the damage to Ruusan caused by our enemies. I support this bill as the Jedi Council and its related Service Corps are quite militarized already. As long as there are checks and balances between the Jedi Order and Republic Defense Forces, I see no reason that this bill should not be passed."

She folded her hands in front of her and titled her head slightly. Senator Na was slight in stature, but her horn-like montrals made her appear taller and more imposing. "But I do have a question for Senator Yora. Is the military rank for our Jedi counterparts, only a title? Or does it come with material assets as well? Like access to troops, pilots, anti-artillary units. What is the benefit for a Jedi Master to also be a Commander?"

She nodded, acknowledging that she had finished.

[member="Abagail Vintai"] | [member="Akatan Adasca"] | [member="Arthur d'Angele"] | [member="Ater Notechis"] | [member="Aurelia Volcata"] | [member="Cecily de Demici"] | [member="Danny Colen"] |[member="Faith Balor-Organa"] | [member="Geneviève Lasedri"] | [member="Josef Levik"] | [member="Lady Kay"] | [member="Lionel Roux"] | [member="Lyra Arcturus"] | [member="Macharius Solaire"] | [member="Mark Crassis"] | [member="Ned Rostu"] | [member="Ordon Trozky"] | [member="Persephone Callas"] | [member="Soliael Devin Talith"]| [member="Valen Cerezo"] | [member="Volko Hydori"] | [member="Sankt Yora"]

Today, the senator for Brentaal IV was physically in the session for once.

He mused over the bill, but Jedi and the military were areas that had sizable gaps in his knowledge. A cousin of his? Her maternal ancestry was filled with countless generations of Jedi, but that was as far as that went. Beyond this, he didn't see any issues with Jedi serving alongside the military. If it was to any benefit, then why not? His peers at home seemed to agree, for the most part, though some were indifferent when it came to Jedi, not believing in 'space wizards'. Were they to meet a Jedi, and bear witness to what one could do, those opinions might change.

"I find myself in agreement with Senator Na, and have no questions that have not already been asked. Ergo, Brentaal IV supports this bill."

And that was all. He sat back and awaited answers to the questions.

[member="Abagail Vintai"] | [member="Akatan Adasca"] | [member="Arthur d'Angele"] | [member="Ater Notechis"] | [member="Aurelia Volcata"] | [member="Cecily de Demici"] | [member="Danny Colen"] | [member="Faith Balor-Organa"] | [member="Geneviève Lasedri"] | [member="Josef Levik"] | [member="Lady Kay"] | [member="Lionel Roux"] | [member="Lyra Arcturus"] | [member="Macharius Solaire"] | [member="Mark Crassis"] | [member="Ned Rostu"] | [member="Persephone Callas"] | [member="Sankt Yora"] | [member="Soliael Devin Talith"]| [member="Valen Cerezo"] | [member="Volko Hydori"] | [member="Sankt Yora"]​

skin, bone, and arrogance
Aurelia listened to the proceedings with interest, her eyes flicking to this Senator and that as each rose to take the floor. None of them had yet asked the question that Aurelia had wondered about, so she rose and turned on her microphone. "Senators, I wonder if you will indulge the Chair in a few questions relating to this bill, on the understanding that these questions are for informational purposes, not only for myself but for other Members, and recognizing that as acting Chair, I am unable to vote on this measure. On the precedent set by my esteemed cabinet colleague, the Prime Minister, I believe I am within my rights to do so."

She paused and looked down at her notes. The measure was solid, in her opinion, and not necessarily the waste of time that others seemed to observe. Still some clarity would be well worth the effort. She addressed [member="Sankt Yora"]. "My reading of the bill does not provide any insight into how any kind of disciplinary measures are handled arising from members of the Jedi Order serving in the military. Dereliction of duty, disobeying a lawful order, fraternization -- all matters which arise, occasionally, during the regular course of our armed forces. Should these matters arise related to a Jedi serving as described in this bill, who has the duty to address and provide disciplinary action? Are we asking the Jedi Order to forfeit lawful authority over their members serving in the armed forces to the Uniform Code of Military Justice? Or are they to be subject only to the discretion of the Jedi Order? Or both, which I would have to consult the judicial branch with but on its face might be a Constitutional issue, subjecting a citizen of the Republic to double jeopardy. What say you, Senator?"

Akatan Adasca

The Arkanian Dragon
Like numerous senators, the Representative from Arkania was currently not present within the Senate Chambers. Preferring to not be accused of dereliction of his duties on site, he remained within the cold embrace of his home planet to help maintain the economic exports, whatever they may be. His image flickered as he read through notes, listening to each senator speak their mind. Waiting for the silence to introduce his talking points, he began.

"I would like to piggy back on some of the points made by the honorable members preceding me..." He shuffled through his papers, the embellished clothing shined even in the blue blurry silhouette. "In reference to the question put forth by the Senator of Shili...As far as I am aware, and please forgive the ignorance, but there is currently no age prerequisite for position of rank as Jedi Padawan. So...would you imply with this bill that a child of the age of nine is an appropriate candidate to take the rank of commander, with all the troops and naval assets that come with such rank? More importantly, do you suspect that the defense forces would be fine with this proposition? On top of this, will the position warrant a salary and if so, where will that come from and from where will the funds go to procure new vessels for this injection of talent?" Perhaps a straw man argument, but the point remained.

He smiled as he shuffled through his notes. "The Jedi Order, as far as I'm aware, is a peace keeping organization...No? I'm curious if their council has been spoken to in regards to this proposition? At the end of the day, they are capable of their duties without the need for some bill that grants them title. But I wonder how the council would feel about their masters, knights, and padawans being elevated to the position of acting soldier." Truth be told, he just was uncertain of this marriage between the two groups. There was co-operation already and he felt this bill served to step on toes more than polarize the Jedi Order towards the needs of the republic. That and he was concerned with unnecessary spending.

"I find myself agreeing with the Honorable Lady Kay. This bill attempts to build a bridge where one is not needed and as pointed out by the acting Chair, creates a number of complex issues within the military. As such, Arkania cannot support this endeavor at this time."

He gave a piercing pause before waving away his right to speak further. He had said what he felt needed saying.

[member="Abagail Vintai"] | [member="Arthur d'Angele"] | [member="Ater Notechis"] | [member="Aurelia Volcata"] | [member="Cecily de Demici"] | [member="Danny Colen"] | [member="Faith Balor-Organa"] | [member="Geneviève Lasedri"] | [member="Josef Levik"] | [member="Lady Kay"] | [member="Lionel Roux"] | [member="Lyra Arcturus"] | [member="Macharius Solaire"] | [member="Mark Crassis"] | [member="Ordon Trozky"] | [member="Ned Rostu"] | [member="Persephone Callas"] | [member="Sankt Yora"] | [member="Soliael Devin Talith"]| [member="Valen Cerezo"] | [member="Volko Hydori"] | [member="Sankt Yora"]

"Madame Chairwoman," Cecily's pod slid gracefully onto the scene and she offered a private wink to her dear friend who was standing in for the Prime Minister, "I fear that, despite the obvious thought and effort put into this bill, I must rise with caution and concern for its implications. We have once before attempted to encroach on the sovereignty of the Jedi Order, a mistake I am loathe to let this noble body commit again."

"I move that this bill be delivered to the Jedi High Council for review and ratification before proceeding here, with no disrespect to the honorable Senator of Cyrillia," she nodded to her green-hued friend, "any policy changes affecting the Jedi Order should only be considered valid if they originate with their internal governing systems."

[member="Abagail Vintai"] | [member="Akatan Adasca"] | [member="Arthur d'Angele"] | [member="Ater Notechis"] | [member="Aurelia Volcata"] | [member="Cecily de Demici"] | [member="Danny Colen"] | [member="Faith Balor-Organa"] | [member="Geneviève Lasedri"] | [member="Josef Levik"] | [member="Lady Kay"] | [member="Lionel Roux"] | [member="Lyra Arcturus"] | [member="Macharius Solaire"] | [member="Mark Crassis"] | [member="Max Rumor"] | [member="Ned Rostu"] | [member="Ordon Trozky"] | [member="Persephone Callas"] | [member="Soliael Devin Talith"]| [member="Valen Cerezo"] | [member="Volko Hydori"] | [member="Zalaam Na"]

The republic certainly did not have the right to script the Jedi into service but wasn’t this aobut just allowing them to do so?

Faith looked down again it was what it said that they would be allowed to, not that the Republic was forcing them to. A bit of difference.

Since it was a Grandmaster that pulled the Jedi from working as an officer within the military, the suggestion that the Grandmaster once again look at this and provide her “stamp of approval” seemed quite logical to her.

If the Supreme Commander agreed, and the Grandmaster agreed then there was no issue to be had.

She nodded her approval of Senator De Demici suggestion.

Abagail Vintaihttp://starwarsrp.net/user/7049-abagail-vintai/ | Akatan Adasca | Arthur d'Angele | Ater Notechis | Aurelia Volcata | Cecily de Demici | Danny Colen | Faith Balor-Organa | Geneviève Lasedri | Josef Levik | Lady Kay | Lionel Roux | Lyra Arcturus | Macharius Solaire | Mark Crassis | Max Rumor | Ned Rostu | Ordon Trozky | Persephone Callas | Soliael Devin Talith| Valen Cerezo | Volko Hydori | Zalaam Na

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom