Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cato seemed to snap out of his flash of anger with Inanna's pleas. That, and hearing his name said aloud. Jed was a bit overwhelmed, but even he seemed to do a double take, "What'd she say?" He asked.

"Shut up." Moonlighter replied, stepping away from the Duros. Patrol speeders were coming in, and that was their cue to book it. "Right," He grabbed Inanna, and propelled them into the skyline with a grappling hook. The swung until they were a healthy distance free from the cleanup, stopping on a rooftop. Moonlighter tore off his mask, to reveal Cato underneath. "What are we doing?" He sighed in frustration, not expanding on the vague question. The vigilante crunched down against the roof entrance, and stared at the morning sun that crept through the intermingling icy mist and pollutive haze.

Cato caught Inanna's exchanged glance, and couldn't help a slight smirk, which he covered by brushing his lip. She then looked more suspiciously at him, to which his eyes widened, "Nope. No candy stashes in our room." Serena seemed to relent, though with a toddler who knew how long she might agree to the terms. Or how long it might be till she just forgets them all together. "It's good manners, sweetheart." Cato reaffirmed. Of course any lingering defeat was soon swept over by the excitement of imminent ice cream. They all got ready, and were off to the city proper.

With a bit of shopping done, they could hold back the children's hunger no longer. Cato and Inanna relented, getting the kids their confections a bit earlier than originally planned. Not that Cato could complain, once he'd downed his first chunk of cookie dough ice cream. He watched Ashur effectively faceplant into his own cone, a sight which made his father guffaw loudly, not realizing that he too had a streak of leftovers across his lip.

Serena saw this, and did the same, earning more laughter from her dad, though he tried to shut down any more mess making between intermittent chuckles, "Careful— The more of a mess you make, the less ice cream you have to eat." He wiped at Serena's mouth, and finished by booping the dollop on her nose, pinching it playfully before he let go. Serena grinned broadly, and took another, more restrained bite.

"What did you get?" Cato looked to his wife, then nodded at her cone.

The heat of the fire reset Inanna’s body somewhat, but the wind chill from swinging through the open air stole whatever heat she had built up. She needed to get out of the cold before she really did go dormant, but of course Cato decided to land on a roof and gaze dramatically at the sunrise in the aftermath of having beaten the chit out of a petty thief.

"What are we doing?"

Going home?” came Inanna’s muffled reply, her face pressed to his neck in an effort to preserve the warmth of her breath. She didn’t let go of him even when he crouched down; she just held on tighter, shivering against him. “If you want to talk to me about deep questions and stuff, we can do that, but—indoors, please?

"What did you get?"

A brain freeze,” Inanna answered, wincing as she waited for it to pass. “I got…” She named a flavor that the average human would have great difficulty pronouncing, but of course she could mimic perfectly. “It’s pretty good. To me, at least.

Can I have some of that?” Serena asked, pointing to her mother’s ice cream.

Inanna hesitated. “I don’t think you would like it, baby.

But Serena was insistent, and so Inanna obliged her. Taking the spoonful in her mouth, the toddler immediately regretted ever having requested a taste. For a few seconds she just sat there, lips pursed and face scrunched up, before she hopped down from her seat and ran over to the nearest trash can to spit it out.

It was at that moment that the door to the ice cream parlor opened.

Last edited:
Cato just glanced over at Inanna, still attached to him, and scoffed a chuckle. Though it was clearly a bit forced in the wake of his annoyance, "Right." Cato stood up and waited a moment, stopping at the edge of the roof to make sure they hadn't been tailed, before making their break for it. With the apparent all clear, he dove off and slung them back home.

When they arrived back at the apartment, they were met with the sight of Gurt hanging out in the kitchen. Cato blinked, and groaned as he realized that they had left the stolen goods back at the crime scene, "…Your shirt is with the cops. You'll have to go get it. Sorry," He walked past the Kitonak, unable to shake his bad mood as he spoke again, "Gurt, please stop coming into my apartment uninvited." The landlord, sensing now was a bad time, raising a finger in salutations, before sheepishly leaving.

I got…” She named a flavor that the average human would have great difficulty pronouncing, but of course she could mimic perfectly.

"Bless you," Cato retorted. He knew better than to go for a taste of whatever Inanna was eating, but Serena had to learn the hard way. She tried to hold on in defiance, but ultimately had to spit out the bite she had taken, "Mommy's tastes are a bit eccentric, Pink."

"Ecksetic." Serena failed to repeat.

"It's very different from ours," He offered a bit of his own, which Serena took to much more naturally.

An eerily familiar presence walked into the ice cream parlor. Cato did the double take of his life, when he saw that gangly blue figure pass by. A duros man, dressed a bit raggedly, more than usual. Cato mouthed the name Jed as the man passed. He froze, staring a bit too long at Jed Lem, who seemed to catch Cato's eyes, but quickly diverted his gaze forward nervously. He stopped at the register, and Cato continued to stare, out of disbelief, perhaps deep down wondering if the thief was about to get up to his old antics.

Jed was standing at the line, staring at the menu in solemn contemplation. The person in front of him stepped aside, and the Ithorian at the register spoke, "Can I get you something, sir?"

Jed looked back at him, as if surprised, then finally shook his head, "N-no. Sorry. Thank you," As if in shame, he tucked his hands in his pockets and turned right back around towards the door. Cato kept watching him with a clear conflict of emotions and thoughts. Jed didn't break into a sprint. He didn't check his pockets or rub his hands together greedily. He just kept walking in that same defeated gait.

From the moment they arrived at the apartment, Inanna seized a blanket and wrapped it around herself. She had forgotten how chilly it was—better than being outside in the snow, but still too cold for her liking. A hot bath was out of the question; she’d never want to get out of the tub.

Oh Gurt, I’m sorry,” Inanna added as she walked into the kitchen. At least she wasn’t coughing anymore. “On the bright side, you won’t be alone at the station. Jed tried to make off with lots of people’s stuff.” Unless that was a bad thing. They were on Nar Shaddaa, where even good things could be twisted into evil…

She waved goodbye to him, then glanced at Cato. His back was to her, but she could see the tension in his posture. “It’s not just Jed, is it?” she asked softly. Grabbing the medkit from the kitchen, she waited for Cato to take off his suit so that they could begin the usual post-patrol ritual of patching up his wounds.

Inanna took another bite of her ice cream, savoring it all the more in the face of their disgust. “Sometimes my tastes aren’t so different from yours,” she said, pointing the empty spoon at Cato. “You seemed to like most of the food at our wedding.” Especially the booze.

She noticed Cato’s shocked expression and turned to see what he was looking at. “Is that—?” Shi’ido have an eye for details, and while she couldn’t put a name to the face, the memories associated with Jed came rushing back. That awful winter, Gurt’s stolen shirt, the explosion at the fuel station, Cato keeping her warm…

After the Duros had left, Inanna met Cato's eyes. “What’s he doing on the Vonnuvi?” she asked in a low voice. Of all the places in the galaxy, this guy just happened to wind up on the exact same space station as them? What were the odds of that?

It’s not just Jed, is it?

Cato drooped a little steeper, then shrugged. He didn't quite answer immediately, instead peeling off the top of his super suit, and sitting down in the living room chair. Then he shrugged, "I don't know. It's just…" He ran a hand through his hai, wincing slightly as a sore burn on his arm hindered his range of motion, "It's constant. I keep trying to tell myself that I'm making a difference but uh— They're making it hard to believe that. Now there's some new whiz kid villain of the week loose and Jed…" Cato pursed his lips in thought, "He's always been a joke. But it was almost kind of… refreshing in a way. A nice breakup from all the other bullshit. But now he's in the deep end too."

The petty crook now in the business of blowing up buildings. Even if it wasn't intentional, it was a rough wake up call, especially given the danger it put everybody in. There seemed to be some twinge of regret in Cato's face, before he shook his head. Perhaps at how he had treated the Duros. But he said nothing about it.

"True," Cato admitted. The food there had been quite delicious. Made even better by the booze.

Of course any and all thoughts of the wedding were put on hold, as Cato watched Jed appear and leave just like that. What were the odds? Inanna noticed it as well. "No idea," He slowly stood up, looking toward the door.

"What are you doing daddy?" Serena asked, taking another lick of ice cream.

"Just… checking on something," He muttered and began to tail the Duros. Serena followed. By now Jed had disappeared from sight, but Cato focused his senses on the familiar to track him through the crowds. He stopped suddenly, realizing that the presence was right in front of him now. Serena bumped into her dad's leg, and Cato looked down to see Jed sitting down at a street corner, alongside a few other raggedy citizens. They were hanging around outside of the Vonnuvi's refugee shelter. Cato furrowed his brow.

Jed seemed to recognize Cato not as Moonlighter, but as the man from the parlor, and quickly stood up in a panic, "Hey, uh, I don't want any trouble," He said meekly, raising his hands.

Cato took a moment to realize the difference in understanding, and raised a hand in return, "Not here to make any. Sorry," He considered just leaving him be, but he couldn't help his curiosity, "What ah- what are you doing here?"

The Duros looked at him confusedly, "Don't have anything anywhere else. Like the rest of these folks I wager," He nodded back at the other loiterers.

"Right…" Cato scratched the back of his head awkwardly, "Why'd you go into the ice cream parlor?"

Jed stared bizarrely at the stranger, "Man why do you care?" After he said that though, he seemed to retreat again, and entertain the question, "Just lookin' I guess. I don't got the money to buy anything but… Damn it looked good."

"Damn." Serena repeated. Jed caught site of the little girl, and chuckled. Cato bonked her head lightly, "Hey!"

"Sorry. She yours?"

"Sure is," Cato chuckled, relaxing a little. Seeing Jed like this reminded him of the last time they interacted. With Moonlighter beating him down and ridiculing him. He was struck by pity and regret, "Hey… I can buy you a cone if you like."

Jed waved his hand, "Nah man. I don't need charity."

Cato glanced at their surroundings, "Seems like you do." Jed couldn't help but chuckle again, "C'mon. Let me get you something."

"…Alright. Fair enough, alright." Jed stood up, a bit sheepish about taking the help.

Last edited:
She followed him into the living room, perching on the arm of his chair once he sat down. She cleaned his wounds, wrapped them in bandages soaked with bacta, and listened.

Well, you did save the people caught in the middle.” Waiting for Cato to stop shaking his head, she moved on to the superficial cuts and bruises on his face. “Maybe that’s all that matters. It’s never really going to end.

Sliding down, she sat next to him and wrapped the blanket around them both. “I don’t blame you. It gets tedious after a while, doing the same thing over and over again.” She dabbed lightly at his split lip, mindful of the sting as she spoke softly, “And I understand the morality, too. It may be refreshing, but you can’t rejoice in someone’s fall. It’s all so complicated.” She sighed, letting her hand fall to his shoulder as she pressed her chest to his. The embrace transmitted more than warmth between them. “You deserve more thanks than you get, Cato.

Inanna nearly grabbed Serena to keep her from following, but Cato didn’t seem to mind her presence. She kept an eye on them anyway, tending to Ashur while she watched and listened.

Eventually she got up and approached them, arriving just in time for Jed to accept Cato’s offer. She didn’t say anything, but she did give Jed a friendly smile. He didn’t realize he was talking to Moonlighter, but she couldn’t help wondering if he might recognize her. Mimic’s costume was less… concealing, and she had kept the white hair, albeit shortened.

She held Ashur like a Shi’ido baby—that is, he was tucked away inside a pouch she had made from her malleable body in a manner similar to a joey, his head and hands poking out as he looked around. Upon seeing Jed, he ducked and hid at first, before he peeked out again curiously. She stroked his hair with one hand, not sure what Cato had planned.

Ashur suddenly added his two credits to the conversation in a babbling response which sounded very intelligent and well-balanced. Probably advising Jed on which flavor of ice cream to choose.

Cato gave a most pitiful shrug in recognition, when Inanna pointed out that they had saved those in trouble. It annoyed him more that it got to that point in the first place. His moping was interrupted by the slight sting of disinfectant on one of his open cuts, "Maybe…" He mumbled, then fell silent and simply watched as she finished tending to him. When it was done, he scooted over as much as the single sized chair would allow, for Inanna to settle beside him. The blanket provided some needed warmth, that he'd nearly forgotten was missing.

"Think so?" Cato asked, brushing his fingers against her arm, "I was kinda thinking I already get more than I deserve." A wry smirk finally touched his split lip as he leaned a little closer, "One thing's for sure: It's a lot more bearable with you around."

Jed did a double take as more family members arrived, "These also yours, I take it?" He asked, standing up.

"Right," Cato gestured to his wife and son, "My wife Inanna. My kids Ashur," He then pointed down to the pink one by his leg, "and Serena." Then, he extended a hand, "Cato."

The Duros reciprocated, "Jed Lem."

"Good to… meet you." It was an odd experience being on this side of their interactions. Jed looked between the white haired woman and the man beside her, squinting for a moment; Like there was an uncanny, but unplaceable sense of familiarity stinging the tip of his tongue. Eventually, he brushed it off, as Cato ushered him along.

On the short jaunt back to the parlor, Ashur began to babble loquaciously in Jed's general direction, perhaps finding some camaraderie in his fellow blue-skinned, red-eyed man. Jed couldn't help but listen, and laugh, "He's a well spoken one, ain't he?"

Cato smirked, "Probably get his chattiness from me." They entered the shop, where thankfully the line was brief, "Whatever you like, man. Not a big deal."

Jed gave him one last look of uncertainty, before falling victim to his desires. He knew almost immediately what he had been wishing for, ordering a peculiar alien flavor Cato had never heard before. When it came out, it was an almost fluorescent blue, with chunks of something indiscernible shoved inside. He ate it with gusto, "Thank you, man. You didn't have to do this for me, but you did. And I won't lie, I missed this."

Cato shrugged, "Not a problem. Just glad I could give you a bit of a break." Jed continued to dig in, and while he and the kids interacted, Cato turned his face out of the man's view to speak to Inanna, "Hey— d'you think we could invite him over for dinner?" He asked sheepishly.

Mmm, but I’m not one of the people you’ve saved,” she said. “The civilians you rescue from harm, they always seem to run off like they’re scared. They’d be dead or maimed without you—is a little show of gratitude too much to ask?

But she knew their mentality all too well. Many of them were involved in criminal activities themselves, done out of desperation and need rather than more megalomaniacal pursuits. But they couldn’t afford to pause and thank a superhero, not as long as their ledger had some red in it.

I won’t ever take you for granted, Cato.” She barely brushed her lips over his, mindful of his cut. “Maybe you and I should take a day off before we nail this Fabricator guy. We can set a new record for the number of times two people can… show their appreciation for each other in twenty-four hours.” She grinned. “And, I can finally wash your clothes.” The prospect of finally getting the laundry done excited her quite a bit—she had been meaning to get around to it for several days, but hadn’t had the chance.

Hi,” Inanna gave Jed a small wave as she was introduced. She still wasn’t quite sure what to make of this chance meeting. There they were, buying a cone for a thief they had once beaten up. The chunky blue ice cream arrived to the oohing of Ashur, who clapped his hands.

Cato dipped his head toward Inanna’s ear. She shot him a look of surprise, then shrugged. “If you want,” she whispered back.

Mommy, can I go in there too?” Serena asked, pointing to the pouch holding Ashur.

Inanna hesitated. The Shi'ido infancy was longer than that of a human, and the dangers of their homeworld made hiding and protecting them paramount. But neither of her children were Shi'ido. They belonged to species with much shorter childhoods, and experiencing the world around them was more important for their development. Serena was supposed to have already outgrown the pouch, yet she was asking to be let back in.

You’re too big, honey,” Inanna replied. “There’s not enough room for both of you.” Well, technically there was, but it was extra weight on her and would look even stranger than it probably already did to the non-Shi’ido around them. Humans were weird enough about their own natural child-rearing practices being performed in public without adding in those of an alien to gawk at.

Am not!” Serena took off her shoes, as if that would make her significantly smaller. “My feet hurt,” she whined.

Ah, that explained it. And of course they didn't think to bring a stroller on this particular outing. Cato could've carried her around, but Inanna found that she was still uneasy about Jed. It was best if one of them remained hands-free, just in case, and between the couple Cato was the better fighter. So she picked up her little girl, brushed her feet off, then lowered her down next to her brother in the expanding pouch. Thankfully they weren't too heavy together for her to handle.

Serena squealed happily and hugged Ashur. "Don't squirm around too much," Inanna warned, feeling an elbow or knee jabbing her.

"Sorry." A few seconds later, Serena’s pigtailed head popped out again. “Mommy, can I have my new doll?

Inanna handed them both their new toys. She could hear them talking as they played, inventing worlds of their own.

"People scare easy here," Cato looked at her knowingly, and she seemed to recognize the plight as well. And for some, their fear of police or vigilantes was equal to their fear of criminal activity. Or greater, "Got a few supporters on my side at least. Would be nice to have some more though," He smirked, then smiled as their lips grazed.

Inanna's proposal of a rather unique challenge seemed to reinvigorate him, and lift his spirits "That's a hell of an idea," Cato scoffed a laugh, his grin widened. Something about making it into a competition sweetened the deal. Oh, and getting his clothes washed would be nice too, "No easy feat. But ah, if anyone's up to the task, I think it's us…" Cato leaned in, teasing his lips against Inanna's once more, before cupping her chin and succumbing to a deep kiss.

Jed was too preoccupied with his cone to notice the little side conversation. Inanna agreed to it, and Cato nodded in gratitude. Serena felt a sudden urge to join Ashur in her mother's makeshift pouch; a sight which was admittedly bizarre, even for Cato, who was used to such Shi'ido shenanigans. He spared his wife a glance, a silent offering to carry the girl, but she relented and let Serena hop in. A few passersby gave them curious looks, Jed included, but nothing else was said. Cato, as if noticing the reaction, shrugged to the Duros, "Shi'ido." Immediately, Jed nodded in understanding. The kids began to play with their toys, and were promptly placated.

"Thanks again, Cato. You and your family are some special folk." Jed said, finishing off his cone although not quite the splotches of ice cream still along his lips. The man ate rather ravenously, and wasn't exactly the most refined to begin with. Cato rubbed his own lip as a gesture to Jed, but he didn't pick up on it, "All things considered, this herdship has been an alright place to land. They're pretty happy to take on folks like me, but they got a bit of a backlog. Makes it hard to really pick myself up and… move forward in life," He frowned slightly, "Harder than it already is."

"Momma didn't raise her boy to be selfish," Cato smirked, then continued more sincerely, "Not a problem, Jed. And, actually…" He scratched his head, "If you want— Inanna and I were wondering if you'd like to join us for dinner tonight. A meal, some chatter, an evening to just… relax. What do you think?"

Jed looked at them skeptically at first, but couldn't hide his desperation for long, "You really mean it?"

"Really."

Jed broke into a bigger smile than Cato had ever seen on him before, "Oh, man. Y-yes, of course. If you'll really have me. I— I'll meet you there. I gotta get ready. Can't come looking like a slob to a nice dinner!" Jed stood up and (finally) wiped down his face, about to leave on a dime.

"Wait— What do you want?!" Cato tried to ask, "And I haven't even told you where we live!"

"Whatever you're making!" Jed replied, stopping back just a moment to get the location from Cato, "Thanks again you all. I'll see you tonight then. Inanna, kids," He waved to them all, then abruptly departed.

Cato shook his head and sighed, "Well… Any ideas on what to make?"

Cato's enthusiasm about the idea of a competition (not to mention clean clothes) was clear. "The galactic record is nine hundred and nineteen,” Inanna said, barely keeping a straight face as she named the ridiculous figure. “I don’t have much interest in trying to beat that, but we can set a new personal record.

At the touch of his fingers on her chin, she dipped her head back to receive his kiss, tasting leftover blood and disinfectant. Before his split lip could reopen, she turned away, her hot breath ghosting over his throat as she reached under the blanket. The lower half of his costume soon slipped to the floor, what little protection from the cold it offered replaced by her body heat as she wrapped around him. She was molten compared to the frosty air, the Lao-mon jungle in his lap—and yet she was shivering, the two firm points pressed to his chest proving that she wasn't nearly warm enough.

"I didn't check the rest of you out," she muttered the realization, glancing down toward his long legs. "Nothing else hurts, right?"

Inanna took their stares in stride, flashing a smile at Jed and Cato. She could write a book about all the strange and often amusing ways humans and Shi'ido differed in how they raised their kids. Maybe she will write it someday…

Through listening in on their conversation, she gleaned that the Duros was a homeless drifter who had wound up on the Vonnuvi as part of their relief efforts. It was a sad position to find the former thief in, but not surprising. Though she had been quick to agree with Cato's offer, afterwards Inanna was left wondering just how dinner was going to work.

After Jed left, Cato asked what they should eat. "Calzones!" Serena answered predictably, while Ashur squeaked in protest. The cheese was a choking hazard for him, and they didn't want a repeat of that morning.

"Don't worry, you'll get your own food," Inanna assured him. Turning to Cato, her expression grew more serious. "Do you have a plan for all this that you'd like to let me in on?"

Cato's enthusiasm was momentarily replaced by complete shock and awe, "Nine hundred and nineteen?" His jaw dropped, a stupid smile still tugging at his lips, "Who the hell set that? And why do you know that off hand?" He snickered.

That might not exactly be attainable for them. But they could certainly enjoy themselves while they tried. If Inanna hadn't cut it short, Cato's overzealousness might have split his lip back open. Instead he let himself relax a little, and be enveloping by the warmth of their bodies becoming one. That, in tandem with the chill air, made for a stimulating sensation.

Cato exhaled hotly, his hands freely exploring Inanna's soft skin, "Not anymore." He smiled lovingly, then showed a touch of concern, "Hey— Gotta keep warm somehow. And ah… that record isn't gonna break itself." He touched his lips to her neck in teasing kisses and nips, down her collar, and to her chest...

Cato couldn't help but laugh when Serena inevitably demanded Calzones, then shrugged, "It is my specialty," Not that branching out would be a total disaster. Probably. He light attitude softened when Inanna confronted him about this plan of inviting Jed to dinner. Cato mulled on it for a few minutes, rubbing his neck guiltily, "I don't really… have a plan, but, I don't know, I saw him and I saw an opportunity to… bury the hatchet I guess."

"Jed and I didn't exactly leave on good terms. Or— Start on good terms for that matter, but you know what I mean."
Yes, Lem had been a multi-offense criminal, but until that night his work had been fairly non-dangerous. In a weird sort of way, it was almost like a game, or a nice break from all the other stuff going on on Nar Shaddaa, "He's always been this kind of guy. A bit of an idiot with no direction," A wry smirk, "I think he fell to crime because he simply didn't know any better, and didn't have any other options." Such was life on Narsh.

"So I want to help him out. Maybe set him on a path to something better, who knows. But if I can just show him a bit of kindness beyond pulling my punches when I chase him down, then I think it might do us both some good." Cato spoke truthfully and from the heart, though it seemed through a glint in his eye, that there might be something else he was holding onto, "Are you okay with this?" He asked. It's not like letting a known repeat crook into their family home was completely risk-free.

I’m the one who set it,” Inanna replied, before breaking into a giggle. “Nah, I’m kidding. I don’t remember her name. She was a Pylantian, I think. It’s just one of those ‘fun facts’ you never forget.

Her eyebrows rose as he trailed kisses down her neck. Was he seriously going to try to break the record? “Heh, we don’t have to go that far—” She broke off with what could only be described as a squeak, biting her lip and clenching around him. It wasn’t just the warmth and stimulation, though that was enough to make her toes curl. His lips and tongue left behind moisture which, when exposed to the cold air, made her feel far more sensitive.

Cato,” she breathed his name, among other wordless sounds of pleasure. Burying her face in his hair, her fingers traced over the scars on his back, barely resisting the urge to claw at him. Her last thoughts before her mind fell into an amorous haze were of the poor neighbors and all the noise complaints they were going to get after this…

You make calzones, I’ll make something a little healthier,” Inanna closed one golden eye as she shot a look down at Serena, who stuck out her tongue in disgust. “That way there’s options to choose from and hopefully everybody’s happy.

Cato was forthcoming with his thoughts on Jed. She could see why he felt compelled to help the Duros now, as well as catching a retrospective glimpse to his feelings that she hadn’t been privy to during their partnership on Narsh.

"He's always been this kind of guy. A bit of an idiot with no direction."

Sounds kind of like you, Inanna thought but did not say. There was a thinner line dividing Cato from Jed than either of them likely realized. One had turned to crime, while the other fought crime. Both had even ended up in the same place, albeit in very different positions in life. Cato had a home and a family, whereas Jed seemed to have nothing and no one.

I’m fine with it,” Inanna answered his question. “It would be nice to rehabilitate the villain for once. Although I was hoping we could get these two in bed early tonight and then maybe have a little time to ourselves…

A spat suddenly erupted between Serena and Ashur over ownership of one of their toys. “It’s mine!” Serena exclaimed as Ashur began to wail. “Mine, mine, mine!

Their mother immediately plucked Serena out of the pouch and passed her off to Cato. “If he does try to steal anything from us, Serena here will destroy him.

Last edited:
…Cato and Inanna didn't exactly make it to nine-hundred and nineteen, or anywhere close for that matter, despite their commitment to the attempt. For all the fervor, Cato was still only (50%) human, and could scarcely dream of such an achievement. Still, their results were practically unimaginable for the layman. And by the end of it, Cato wasn't quite sure whether to regret or relish in the effort.

The 24 hour alarm they set buzzed, and Cato was literally laying on the floor, a husk of his former self. He panted in wheezing breaths, a film of sweat glistening across his whole body, "What… What did we make it to…?" He asked in a daze, having lost count after a the first few.

"Works for me," Cato said. A true selection of all the food groups at their disposal; Most of it crammed into a messy, inverted pocket of pizza.

It would be nice to rehabilitate the villain for once. Although I was hoping we could get these two in bed early tonight and then maybe have a little time to ourselves…

Cato smirked, "Well, who knows, maybe we'll find some time for that regardless," If they could get Jed out at a good time anyway. Such talk was interrupted by a brief spat between the kids, with Serena loudly claiming the toy for herself. Ashur began to wail at the same time, and they were officially causing a disturbance, "No kidding," Cato said with a wince, "Alright. Time to get out of here," He took Serena, and they began to walk, "This is no way to behave in the store."

With a contented sigh, Inanna rolled over on her side to face Cato. “Twelve,” she answered. “I think. Unless you don’t want to count what we did the seventh time. Or the ninth. Or the twelfth, for that matter. I didn’t know you could do that with a lightsaber…

Inanna had fared much better than poor Cato, which was perhaps to be expected. By the time they reached the end, though, even she was getting a bit tired of the repetition. She turned off the buzzer and handed Cato a glass of water.

"I had fun." Smiling, she moved to lay her palm against his sweat-soaked chest, but then seemed to think better of touching him again anytime soon and awkwardly lowered her hovering hand. “Are you okay?” she asked, concerned about his labored breathing. "Can I get you anything? Something I can do to help...?"

"Well, who knows, maybe we'll find some time for that regardless."

Oh yeah. There’s this holofilm I’ve been wanting to watch. I think you’d like it.” Any further discussion was halted by their children’s fighting.

I wasn’t in the store,” Serena corrected indignantly. “I was in Mommy’s belly button.

Is that what you think this is? Ew.” Inanna shook her head as she comforted Ashur. “It’s Mommy's skienti.” One of the few Shi’idese terms which most other species could pronounce.

Skiing tea.

Or not. “Close enough,” Inanna said with a sigh. “Don’t fight with your brother, or you’ll lose that toy.

They made their way back home and started on dinner. Inanna finished her slightly spicy vegetable dish earlier than the calzones, which required baking, and sat down to feed Ashur while they waited. The appointed time when Jed was supposed to arrive came… and went. She found Cato with her eyes, wondering what he was thinking. It wasn’t too late yet—there was still a chance. But she wouldn't be surprised if the Duros was a no-show.

"Twelve?" Cato sputtered, a bit shocked. Then, he laughed, "Well we're short nine-hundred and seven of the record. But I'll still call it a win," He waggled a finger at the idea of discounting any of them, "Nope. After all that work, they all count. They all definitely count." Cato was not laying on the floor, tired, out of breath, and practically trembling from exertion for them to just throw away the effort. He grabbed the glass but didn't raise it up immediately, still just laying flat on the ground.

"I had fun."

"Mhm," Cato agreed, genuinely but also much more wearily. He shook his head, "I'm fine. Mostly. Just need to uh, sit still for awhile." Not only was he exhausted from all the effort, he was exhausted from being awake for 24 straight hours. If they hadn't taken breaks in between, he would probably be a dead man. After the first few sessions, it quickly became clear their stamina (or at least Cato's) could not take them all the way. On the bright side, leaving room for other things made the process a little more enjoyable, even when they were basically forcing to get through it later on. "Maybe there's a similar record specifically for near-human's that we broke," Cato joked, finally sitting up beside the couch to take a sip of water, "I can't compete with a Pylantian."

The children mostly cooled off by the time they reached the home, and work on dinner quickly began in earnest. Calzones required a bit more work than a veggie dish, but by now Cato had run through it enough times to put some efficiency in his baking. Serena "helped" of course, which as usual amount to sitting on the counter and handing him things when he asked. She clapped her hands, which were covered in flour, creating a fine dust that pooled out and hit the floor. A maniacal laugh followed.

When Jed was initially a few minutes late, Cato was thankful, because the calzone still had a couple minutes to go until it was done baking. But then once things were ready and cleaned up, there was still no sign of Jed. Cato frowned and rubbed his hands, catching Inanna's glance but saying nothing.

Just when it seemed like Jed might be a complete no-show, there was a ring at the door. Cato bolted to open it, and there was the Duros, waiting nervously. He was dressed in clothes that were marginally better than what he had prior. Something he'd perhaps had tucked away with what few other belongings he maintained. His equivalent of "dressing up" for the evening.

"Hey there," Cato greeted him.

"Sorry for the wait," Jed replied sheepishly.

"Fashionably late is my style," Cato replied, "Come in."

Jed took a few small steps into the house, looking around at the decor, and then to Inanna and the other Harths, "I wanted to bring y'all something as thanks. It's not much, but uh," He lifted up a single, slightly droopy flower from behind his back, "I managed to scrounge up just enough for it. Don't know if you all like, flowers, or whatever…" He grimaced awkwardly.

"Twelve?"

While he sputtered in shock, Inanna just snorted. “You can have this back, by the way,” she said, reaching over to hand him the hilt of his lightsaber as if it were an award. “We both worked hard to achieve a noble goal.

For a little while they lay in silence. Inanna tucked her arm underneath her head, watching Cato from beneath heavy lids. She was tired and a little sore, but it was a pleasant ache. Or maybe that was just the Star making everything feel better.

When I was on Alderaan I used to fantasize about having you all to myself,” she suddenly said. “Even for just one day. No missions, no responsibilities, no work to be done, no worrying that you might get killed. It wasn’t quite like this, though—I mean, we would obviously have tons of sex, that’s a given, but—Erm, what I’m trying to say is…” She floundered, blushing, then leaned over him just long enough to kiss his forehead before laying back down again.

His suggestion got her curious enough to grab her datapad and look it up. Maybe refining her search would yield different results. “It’s funny, because Pylantians are notoriously monogamous. So it was probably some old married couple having the time of their lives.” She flicked through the results. “Here we go: ‘For Humans and Near-Humans, the current record number of times an individual had intercourse in twenty-four hours is’…” She turned to him in awe. “Eleven.

Finally, there was a knock at the door. Cato answered it, and in walked Jed. Inanna was rinsing off the spoon she had used to feed Ashur, and looked up with an acknowledging smile before resuming her work.

When she was finished, she went to greet their guest. “Hi, Jed. Looking good.” He presented them with a slightly wilted flower. “Awww,” Inanna cooed as she reached out to take it. “I do like flowers. Thank you.” She grabbed a tall glass, filled it with water, and placed the flower inside. “The food should still be warm, but we can always heat it up,” she said, setting the makeshift vase at the center of the table.

Ashur slapped his hands against his high chair, bouncing up and down. Inanna cleaned his face and hands, then laid a toy in front of him to keep him occupied for the time being. Serena climbed into her chair and swung her legs, eagerly waiting for her food to be served.

Cato took back his lightsaber without really thinking twice about it, staring at it for a moment as if to register what it was, before setting it beside him, "Nothing worth doing is easy," He tipped his glass of water in a toast.

They enjoyed the silence for a little while, until Inanna spoke plainly about some of her unspoken past thoughts. Even at this point in their relationship, Cato couldn't help but blush; Just the idea of being fantasized about by someone you felt similarly toward, was the sort of thing that could give anyone an ego boost. "I'm flattered," He chuckled, "I suppose I'd be lying if I said I wasn't immediately smitten when I met you. And you were quick to prove it wasn't just your looks worth admiring," He replied with a bit of sudden sincerity, smiling as she kissed him.

Both of them were struck by curiosity when Cato brought up the hypothetical record. Inanna looked it up to reveal the record was… eleven. Cato immediately straightened up, "You're shitting me," He chuckled again in disbelief, wiping at his forehead, "We broke an actual record?!" A full laugh began, stuttering for a moment as it changed from one of success to self-deprecation, "Dammit— We don't have any way to prove it. It's not like we recorded it," His laughs died down, until he just sighed, "Ain't that just our luck." Maybe it was for the best. That was the sort of thing that stays on the holonet forever.

"Oh, thank you," Jed replied with an appreciative smile. He took off his old, lopsided hat and held it to his chest. Cato guided him to the clothes rack.

"Let's eat, I'm starving," They all sat down, Jed at the head of the table, carefully watching the family for any pre-dinner rituals or things he ought to expect. But Cato just collected plates, setting one down in front of everybody; On top of it, a thick, still steaming calzone that oozed cheese and other pizza ingredients. When the sight and smell hit his nose (or, lack of nose), Jed immediately lit up. Cato then handed out side dishes of Inanna's veggie meal as well, "Eat whatever strikes your fancy. And there's plenty extra." Ccato assured him, though he barely got the words out before Jed was ready to dig in. He took a bite of the calzone first, and audibly hummed in delight, then did the same with the veggies.

"This is… This is f-!" He glanced at the children in the room, "This is really amazing," Jed corrected himself. The Duros probably would have found anything delicious in his current state, but it was appreciated by Cato all the same, "I ain't usually one for greens I admit but-- Wow. You sure you all aren't professional chefs or somethin'?"

"I suppose I'd be lying if I said I wasn't immediately smitten when I met you. And you were quick to prove it wasn't just your looks worth admiring,"

She loved it when she managed to make him blush. “Well, I didn’t have much of a view when we met.” He was masked, after all. “But I figured anyone willing to go out every night, risking their life to save strangers, must have a lot of heart. That's my favorite body part of yours, by the way. Your heart." She laid a hand over his chest, then leaned forward until their breath mingled. "I especially love to feel it beating inside me...

All the goofing off and trading lovey-dovey compliments gave way to the dismay of realizing they couldn’t prove that they had broken the record. Well, for a little while at least. Soon Inanna was cracking up. “You would’ve ended my career,” she sputtered between laughter. “I’d never get to work in politics again, but at least everyone knows what I’ve known since we left Erakhis—which is that Cato Harth is a sexual superhero!... As well as a regular superhero!

Clearly she was punch drunk from being awake for twenty-four hours. "Oh, let's go to bed already," she muttered, struggling to her feet on wobbly legs. She was still a bit giggly, an almost embarrassed grin stuck to her face. "To sleep, and only sleep..."

Serena seemed surprised that Jed had come to dinner, and watched him shyly. Once she had food in front of her, she relaxed. Picking up the calzone with both hands, she munched away happily.

She turned her nose up at the vegetables, but Ashur wasn’t so picky. Inanna offered him a small piece of greens, which the baby immediately seized in his fist and shoved in his mouth, kicking his legs happily.

"I ain't usually one for greens I admit but—Wow. You sure you all aren't professional chefs or somethin'?"

Nah,” Inanna replied. “Cato’s just really good at making calzones.” And not much else, to be honest. “We’re, uh… Jedi, actually.” How would Jed react to that?

Inanna sure knew what made Cato tick. His breath hitched at her enticing words, and he smirked playfully, "When you talk like that, it almost makes one more round sound easy." Alas, despite her effectiveness as a motivator, his heart would probably give out if he tried again in the next 24 hours.

"You're probably right. And if I'm ever going to get a job that isn't beating up criminals, I should probably save myself from that kind of infamy as well," Cato stood up slowly, shuffling behind Inanna to the bedroom, "We'll know we got the record. That's all that matters," He chuckled once more, and smiled broadly at the prospect of sleeping. They very much needed it.

After a rather deep and exquisite slumber, Cato and Inanna were confronted with the truth that life spins on regardless of whatever record-breaking antics they conduct in the home. This so called Fabricator was still out there. And he needed to be taken down quick, before more small timers like Jed got their hands on gadgets too big for their britches. Weapons of mass destruction didn't exactly pair well with clumsy hands.

With some careful finagling, Cato was able to reverse engineer the weapon Jed had received. This Fabricator was smarter than him, at least when it came to technology like this. Its complexities almost seemed impossible given its jury-rigged, composite nature. Yet it did. As Moonlighter, he was able to track down the source of several key components, and track a new shipment of them to a building on the edge of the Red Light Sector.

"That used to be Garm the Hutt's high-rise," Cato commented, looking over the tall but seemingly empty building from a nearby rooftop, "Before he was assassinated, and his turf got absorbed by another rival Hutt. This Fabricator guy musta weaseled his way into the remains."

Jed stopped a moment hearing the word Jedi, almost unable to tell if it was a joke or not at first, "…Really?" Cato looked at Inanna, then shrugged.

"…Yeah. I'm an artisan at the Vonnuvi's enclave."

It seemed to trigger another sense of recognition in Jed, one that he still couldn't quite place. It also made him a little more reticent. Not drastically, but enough to notice that he demeanor had changed slightly, intentional or not, "Huh. Guess that explains the charitable souls," He chuckled, taking another bite. "Um, so what do you do, Mrs. Harth?" Jed asked politely.

Why couldn’t the guy named ‘the Fabricator’ just be someone who makes clothes for criminals?” Inanna muttered to herself. “Well, I guess ‘the Tailor’ would be a better name for them then. The Fabricator sounds silly…

Standing beside him as Mimic, she followed Moonlighter’s gaze, scanning the former Hutt’s lair. “How do Hutts typically defend their turf?” she asked, wanting to know what they would be going up against. “Would it be easier if we snuck in? Disguise ourselves as slave dancers or something?

Jed was surprised, but he took the news better than she’d hoped. During the lengthy pause while he processed the revelation, Ashur began to cry. She had raised enough babies to recognize a tired cry when she heard it. “Aww, is it bedtime already?” Inanna stood and plucked him out of his high chair, holding him against her shoulder.

Diplomacy,” she replied to Jed as she carried Ashur to his room. “And I write occasionally.

Turned out he needed a diaper change as well. Once he was clean and safely in his crib, she returned to the dining room. “So—what do you do, Jed?” she asked the Duros, knowing full well what the answer would be. But it would open up the topic for conversation, and maybe she and Cato could help him get a real job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom