Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Staff Search Engine Temporary Maintenance

Our internal site search engine is a bit more complicated than the rest of the site, because during the latest bout of upgrades done last summer, it got a huge facelift. It's got the most invested and modern work put into it, and about 90% of the time it's really great with the work it's doing behind the scenes.

Some of us can remember when it was absolute garbage and the official Staff answer was "rely on google" to the point that we even replaced our own engine with a scuffed Google engine here on the site. Can't argue with it, but the way this new stuff works just flows better for both me the Admin, and you the end user. However, it's also been the most troublesome to maintain, mainly because of how we flexed our newfound powers with it. For example, the Factory/Codex subs you find located under everyone's profile - that's powered by the Search Engine, and is made readily available every time you view those pages by that same engine. It's almost completely separate from the code that runs the website itself. A second engine that fuels the car.

So, I thank you for your patience for some of the outages we've had with it. Seems about once or twice a month we get an hour or two outage revolving around it. I know for a majority of us that's chump change and a mild annoyance, but I don't like seeing 95% uptime on a service we offer. I prefer 99.9% uptime, and so would you, I know.

For the next hour or so, the service will be out and spotty, then it'll be back up. It won't be wholly fixed, I'm still aware of some issues under the hood that haven't been fixed. Finding them is the easier part of the maintenance, lol. But I ask for your continued patience, and like most problems we suffer here at Chaos, the annoyance of them will slowly erode over time and you won't even notice they've been fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom