Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scherzo for Factory and Orchestra

laa_01.png
THE PLANET
L A E K I A
TINGEL ARM REGION

Few places captured the unique culture dynamic of what had been the Levantine Sanctum as well as Oswaft Station.

Kamarian. Duros. Tiss'shar.

Humanity was a marked minority on the planet below. And, above, the docking bays and star ports were a melting pot of commerce and education, as ships and transports filtered through the far side of the galaxy. Students in the attire of the Astronautical Academy traversed the station on their way to class. Tourists lingered by shops on their way to the next transport. Fringers came here to get off the grid. And smugglers came here as a gateway to the black markets that operated just beyond the reach of the Antarian Rangers.

Once upon a time, he'd come to worlds like this just to sit awhile and listen. Perhaps to hear their stories. Or gather information. Or just to appreciate the culture.

Once, he'd been a Jedi Archaeologist.

When he had been a padawan, he did as padawans did. Learned at his master's side. Repeated the words that his master had taught him. Practiced his master's ways, the way of the Sentinel. The late Azul Gol had been one of the Watchmen of the Outer Rim.

Then, when he had become a Jedi Knight, the boy put away those padawan things. He returned the amber lightsaber his master had gifted him, and constructed in its place a green lightsaber for himself. He adopted the path of the Jedi Researcher, rebelled against the means or methods he'd been taught, and been arrogant enough to take a padawan of his own and teach him the ways of a Jedi Consular.

But the apprentice reflected the master, and Sor-Jan's padawan had done as he had done. Set aside his master's ways and taken up the way of the Jedi Healer.

Now, he had become the master. And he found that he returned to those padawan things he had thought himself too good for. Returned to the basics he had so taken for granted for so long.

Not the ways of the Jedi, but the ways of one Jedi.

He was a Jedi Sentinel, as his master before him. He didn't wear robes. Instead, he looked like a spacer mechanic. The short, tow-headed Corellian was dressed in a simple tunic and trousers he might well have gotten out of some second-hand store somewhere between the Kathol Outback and the Tingel Arm. A tool belt weighted down against his hips, on which a pair of lightsabers blended in with the spanners and tools there.

The YT-2400 light freighter rested in one of the docking days. A young Mandalorian Clone Trooper wandering around the shops with a BB unit, as the small Anzat seemed to be haggling with a Kamarian.

After a moment, the insectoid alien seemed to disagree, storming off and leaving the boy standing there.

It was said you had to spend credits to make credits, but no one ever said the docking fees had to be a complete rip off!

[member="Coci Heavenshield"]​

5kStV.png
THE PLANET
L A E K I A
TINGEL ARM REGION

On board
The Sting - YT-1250
Oswaft Station

[member="Sor-Jan Xantha"]

"Another happy landing", she spoke to no one. Coci peeled out of the harness and stood, only now could she allow the release of the tension from her shoulders. Outside in the docking bay, the crew of Oswaft Station swarmed around her ship, as the whirring of the engines cooled down. Diagnostic machines plugged into the ship, refueling lines connected and before too long the Sting would be prepped for departure come the time for it's pilot to leave. Plenty of the crew are learners, under supervision to gain skills in their respective trades and jobs. Arc wielders sent sparks spewing to the floor of the bay, melding together pieces of metal to patch up ships or manufacture spare parts. The place was alive with activity, which she liked very much .. it took her mind off things.

The reason for her trip was not to teach, or learn even but to meet up with a boy she had not seen in a long time. Part from wanting to know how he was faring in the galaxy, he had asked her to join him here, the purpose of which Coci was not fully appraised of, but that mattered little. Time would reveal this.

As she strode across the bay, her head turned at the words of a conversation. There he was the young lad, in dispute over the costs of landing fees, and well he might, they are steep to say the least, yet she hung back with a smile on her face, most interested in the outcome.

There was just no negotiating with some people.

There was the landing fee. Then there were the taxes. Mandatory inspection fee to ensure the Alderaan Queen wasn't infested with pelko bugs. It was nickel and diming the whole docking process until the cost of berthing at Oswaft Station was almost as expensive as buying a new ship.

At least in the Kathol Outback, the freedom of navigation was not so common as to spark a commerce or tax industry around it. Of course, he wasn't waiting for six months or more just to resupply because the next inbound freighter from the Outer Rim was a year out. So, you had to take the good with the bad.

Turning his head, the small boy had started back toward the docking bays when he noticed a familiar face in the crowd. Crossing over toward the taller woman, the boy gave a formal bow. "Master Heavenshield," the young Anzat greeted the lady warmly.

"I trust aught is well on Voss?"

[member="Coci Heavenshield"]​

"Master Xantha", she returned the bow before standing to full height once more. She considered the young man for a moment, his face in fact. Such a boyish face with eyes old. He was a marvel in some respects, a child by all accounts however, he had been in galaxy even longer then she, probably seen much more as well. It was easy to forget this especially when one did not know him and take for granted a lack of knowledge.

"It is good to see you are well Sor-Jan. Voss is fine, although there are some issues that need attention, generally it is a peace". She turned to head toward the doors that would lead them both through the station. The ground crew had lost interest in the two Jedi and went back to their work.

"How is business?", she asked knowing this was a large part of the young man's life. She made the assumption that arrangements had been made for her arrival and his. And that soon, they would do just that .. take business.

So, this was "Outing #2 - Laekia and Oswaft Station". Still a safe trip, and even moreso than the last, given it didn't take her beyond Sanctum borders. The appeal was this: Laekia had forests, she had a liking for forests, and found some peace in the natural world. Secondary, but gaining the pull of her curiosity was the station, for she'd never set foot on one before; arriving via public transport was less of an anxious thing than the trip to Yavin IV, but she had to swallow this trepidation about the unknown to file into the station; a strange fear to have, considering her experiences, but Nether didn't have space stations.

On an obvious note, the contrast between nature and the corridors she now walked was stark, but she it an honest try at keeping an open mind. Larger scale than a transport or private vessel, corridors with breathing space, and it didn't rocket through the shine-dotted black. A fixed point. All in all, she wasn't certain of her feelings about the station, but it'd barely been five minutes, and already she was hearing a familiar voice.

"Master Heavenshield?" But it was more of a question for herself, than an attempt to gain attention, so she spoke up on the second attempt when she moved closer. "Well, this is unexpected, Master," she said with a bow, eyes rising to fix on the blonde with her, an unfamiliar face, before coming around to Coci. "but no less welcome. I feel less of a stranger in a strange land with your presence."

Cordial smile, hands folding in front of her. Holding to the ways of her former life in navigating the world around her was a calming thing. No doubt introductions were coming.

[member="Coci Heavenshield"] | [member="Sor-Jan Xantha"]

The small boy smiled as the lady spoke.

To be honest, he'd more of less expected to hear that affairs were peaceful on Voss. While distant from the galactic center, the Coalition had the benefit of a relatively stable sector of the galaxy in this part of the Outer Rim. The Tingel Arm region, while a distant frontier of its own, was nonetheless a rather well researched and develop area. And the presence of the Coalition and its predecessor, the Levantine Sanctum, had done much to develop the region further. Even conditions on Tash-Taral had been improved, which was a true testament to the work of the Coalition.

As for business, the boy would have liked to have said the same. Except, it seemed like they were in a constant state of two steps forward, one step back. For every measure of progress, there was some galactic catastrophe that loomed on the horizon - intimidating investors and sending banks to ground in order to protect their assets. "The Atrisians have an expression..." the boy began, answering her question with an idiom. "Koji ma o-shi."

To be honest, his Atrisian was more than a little rusty. He'd have to ask [member="Matsu Ike"] if he'd gotten any part of that right. And, even if he had, the pronunciation had probably been horribly off.

"Good things... and many devils," the young Jedi supplied in translation. Which was honestly something of an understatement. From a factory on Sith-controlled Drall, the small Anzat had taken a failing data card company and transformed it into a widely successful telecommunications and computer industry. Even still, "The presence of the Sith has been a shadow on my entire operation, but now I fear that the war with the Galactic Alliance will soon spill into the Corellian System."

If he recalled, Coci was Corellian as well. So she had to share his concern for the Brothers. Even with Corellia in pieces, there were any number of their people spread across Drall, Selonia, Talus, Tralus, and Centerpoint Station. And the same represented the major foothold that he had. If the loss of Corellia had crushed Corellia Digital in the first place, war in the Corellian System could easily bring the company to a halt.

He needed new centers of gravity.

"But, it's Laekia that I wanted to talk to you abo..."

Master Heavenshield?

A question, but not one that the boy had overheard in so much as he'd felt it. Curiosity. Uncertainty. Recognition. The empathic youth trailed off, as he turned his head to glance over to where he could feel some level of scrutiny directed toward them. Or, rather, toward the woman near him.

The boy took a respectful step back as the younger woman approached the Master of the Silver Jedi Order. The nuances of non-verbal communication supplied many cues that the youth could recognize at a glance. Coci's presence obviously had a calming effect, and the manner in which the young woman deffered to the Master Heavenshield bespoke of not just Jedi to Jedi interaction, but a student-teacher relationship.

Of course, Coci was the Master of their Order, so that much was not to be unexpected. Still, the boy couldn't but wonder if there might not be some master-padawan dynamic between the two. Which, would explain the calming effect.

To this day, the boy would sometimes look up and hope to see a Thisspiasian looming over him like a serpentine giant. The presence of one's master left a lasting impression on all of them. "This is the Tingel Arm," the boy noted, speaking up from where he looked up to both women. "We are all strangers in a strange land here."

That was part of the attraction or mystery about the place.

[member="Coci Heavenshield"] | [member="Emiery Athelon"]​

It became clear quickly as to why Sor-Jan had wanted to speak with her. "The Galactic Alliance is moving quickly within the One Sith territory and their efforts are being rewarded. Naturally, like some they have losses and victory but their push toward the center of the core will cause turmoil but, it will be worth it for all the people within the core to be rid of the Sith. Of course, for business not so much, at least, .. not in the immediate future".

A strong presence through the force could be felt, and Coci turned before her padawan had arrived to stand by her side. She greeted the young woman with a smile and incline of her head, happy to see her here and out finding her way through the galaxy once more. In time, when deemed ready to go further afield, when her padawan is more at ease with her 'new world', they would. For a moment, Coci found it intriguing that the force may have, possibly, introduced two 'elders' to meet.

"Good to see you Emiery, this is Master Sor-Jan Xantha", she began the introduction on behalf of the force, and in turn, "This is my Padawan, Emiery Athelon". The nature of the relationship these two might form, she would leave to the them and the future.

"Shall we find somewhere more comfortable to discuss this issue you have Sor-Jan and if you will, my Padawan please join us".
[member="Sor-Jan Xantha"] | [member="Emiery Athelon"]

Master and padawan.

So, it was as he'd surmised. It was pleasing to see that the old ways had not been lost or forgotten, in spite of the Great Jedi Purge. With a smile, the boy bowed toward the Lady Heavenshield and then gave Emiery a bow as she was formally introduced to him.

When he had straightened back up, he motioned toward the interior section of the station. "I've got production problems of every kind. Tax levies on Talus. Labor disputes on Tralus. The amount of regulation there is on Selonia is staggering, and the absence of industrial safety codes on Drall makes operating any kind of manufacturing a challenge in or of itself..." the boy commented as they walked.

The Levantine Astronautical Academy dominated the majority of Oswaft Station's internal space, but there was a spattering of commercial outlets. Windows into the market on Laekia. "Add to that the presence of the Galactic Alliance on the border to the Coruscant System and One SIth star destroyers have become a daily sighting," the youth remarked offhandedly. "It makes continuing production of our products for the Coalition too dangerous to continue. I'm already drawing up plans to evacuate my employees from Corellia should the war spill into the Five Brothers."

Continuing on, the trio arrived at a window overlooking the planet below.

"Because Corellia Digital was incorporated in the Corellian System, the tax laws of Laekia consider it a foreign corporation," the small Anzat noted, peering down onto the picturesque world beneath their feet. "Their planetary regulations would still permit me a minor storefront here on Oswaft Station, but only Laekian or Coalition companies can do business of any substance with the planet itself."

Turning to look up at the taller Corellian woman, the boy stated plainly, "I'd like you to consider having the Coalition sponsor Corellia Digital."

He knew full and well just what he was asking. "We can move production of the XJ9 and cryptologic key here, inside Coalition space, allowing the Sanctum and the Antarian Rangers more security control over the military hardware."

A large suite was afforded to them to use for the meeting, much more comfortable then a conference room with plush sofas and services for food and drink. The view from the window showed the glory of the galaxy stretched out before them, with countless stars, vast systems and the unknown beyond filled the eyes with the invitation of mystery. Coci took a moment to view them, while listening to Sor-Jan inform her of his problems with his company.

"From what you have told me, you seem to spend most of your time dealing with these problems then providing your attention to production and that is no good for anyone. There is a two fold benefit to business, naturally one provides you with an income, but businesses provide work for people and allows them a better life for themselves and their families. If, it is more beneficial for you to move to SSC space in order to be more secure then by all means .. you have our blessing. If you need something more official, I am sure Grand Master [member="Thurion Heavenshield"] would approve of this, as I do".

She turned away from the window and smiled, "You have never given us any reason to consider otherwise".
So sorry for the very late reply. :)

The small boy smiled.

"If its true that I've not been cause for concern, then perhaps I've been away from Corellia for too long..." the youngling quipped, with a genuine warmth as he regarded the lady before him. It was easy to understand why the Jedi would have chosen her to be the Master of the Order.

How lucky then, for Emiery to have such a master for her teacher. Which, on that note, "I'm sure you want to talk with your padawan, and I don't mean to keep you," the boy began, turning away from the window as he addressed the pair. "But I did have one other favor to ask."

Producing a holo-imager, the boy displayed the image of a Venator-class star destroyer. Or, most of one anyway. The nose section was partially buried in the crust of a planet. "During the operation at Boz Pity, I discovered the wreckage of an Old Republic ship. The Intervention," the small Anzat explained, providing some more context for the image being displayed. "I was wondering if there would be any objection to my salvaging this wreckage."

Certainly no small task.

And, to be entirely honest, he hadn't even begun to think about how he was going to pull that off.

If he didn't get permission to salvage it, it wouldn't matter. And if he did... Well, if he did, he could always go bother [member="Matsu Ike"]. The woman was so full of ideas that she was practically insane. Or probably insane. That latter was properly the more apt...

"The material resources and historical records it could contain would be of great value, both to my company... and to me personally."

There was hesitation in the Master Jedi, something else was on his mind to ask of her and as the blue image of the buried ship appeared before her she was interested to see a part of history displayed before her. "How is it important to you Sor-Jan?", she asked walking around the holodisplay with curiosity on her face.

There would be no reason to deny him access to Boz Pity to salvage the ship, and SSC will lend assistance to the salvage if he required it but this requested seemed to be equally important to the boy. "I see the value in this, and even if only for gathering history of the past was all that was gained would be enough but I think there is more to this request is there not?".

"If you require SSC resources to help you salvage as much as possible, they are at your disposal .. ".

A fair question.

Pausing for a moment, the boy reflected on his reasoning before he spoke. "Well, since I arrived in the present time, nothing has been familiar to me," the young Anzat noted. He hailed from a different era. One in which the map had been united under the banner of the Galactic Republic. Oh, there were areas controlled by the Hutts. Places beyond the control of the Republic, but by and large the universe had been a collective whole of peace and unity. And one in which a single Jedi Order served as the guardians of peace and knowledge in that Old Republic.

"I'm sad to say I may have more in common with that wreckage than I do most anything in this galaxy."

"The wreckage is but metal and wires, you are more valuable than that .. there may be a vast amount of knowledge left in the ruins of it, but the knowledge you have in your mind and memories, is priceless". The view beyond the window too her attention once more and Coci gazed across the many systems that stretched for her. So many worlds known and unknown there blinking away in a field of beauty beyond any description. Yet, beyond the beautiful field and into the cultures of life that lived on them, that was where the true beauty lay.

"Do not count yourself as 'past', but look forward .. into the life that is left to you and enjoy it. You are Jedi and one that has a unique bearing and this is what makes you special .. it is what we do with our lives that makes it worthy to live".

Coci suddenly turned back from her musing, and smiled. "Sor-Jan, do what is necessary to assist your business in setting up in SSC space, you will have all clearance to do so, and help when required. And you are always welcome on Voss and the Temple, we would like to see more of you there".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom