Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Scapegoat

rostyslav-zagornov-breathquotes.jpg

div-green.png

TAGS: Darth Temerant Darth Temerant
Outfit:x

"We're a bunch of velcro strap purists, got me there."

As a huff of amusement escaped her lips, the girl merely shrugged. Defeatedly. The man's tap of insults were starting to border on nauseating rather than cruel at this point. And she wasn't about to waste precious energy fighting them.

Though it didn't take much for her ambition to return.

Stifling a look of surprise as Temerant proceeded to delineate an actual lesson, the girl regarded him. As in stared. Eyebrows drawn and head canted ever so slightly.

He was genuinely trying to teach her something? Ok, not what she expected. Seemed a bit… counter-intuitive. She was a prisoner was she not? Jedi scum, cargo if they were to put it nicely, but ultimately still an inconvenience.

"Ok-" The girl treaded lightly as his lecture finally closed, "Let me rephrase. What makes you think I'm interested in learning anything you have to teach?"

She was slightly interested if she were being honest with herself, but no. She wasn't about to be coached in the ways of the force by a Sith.

Or y'know, whatever he was.

"Why even-" Confusion, genuine confusion. "Why are you even offering? What do you have to gain from me being all buddy buddy with your dog?"

4cd2967273ce96310a751ca25d165ea4.jpg

df9oq0y-f22f7990-8395-4662-b9e1-a9fc2b16de9c.png

TAGS: Capris Halcyon Capris Halcyon
The man blinked. It was a fair question. Why was he?

A part of him simply... wanted to teach her something. Was he, perhaps, arriving at the point where he was longing for an Apprentice? He had never considered such before.

Another was very much ready to logic the chaos out of the situation.

"I have nothing to gain from it. Other than perhaps getting some bloody peace and quiet, and my cub learning the importance of trusting in a wider pack. It's good for him. Natural," the man noted. "And I don't see the galaxy in black and white, girl. You are a victim of circumstance, subject to an ideology fed to you as an absolute. But when the time came, you did what was necessary. And likely saved my life in the process," the man remarked. He did not have enough of an ego that he could not acknowledge that much. "You are an insufferable little brat, but that does not mean you're a threat, nor my enemy. Perhaps in the future I will have to kill you," he conceded with a faint shrug. "But in this moment, I am subject to my word and the laws of hospitality. So I might as well do something productive instead of bickering with you until one of us passes out from exhaustion," he concluded.

Terror let out another small whine, impatient as he stole glances at the padding with each gesture from the man.

"Besides, why wouldn't you want to learn?" he queried. "I am a powerful and knowledgeable Force user. You know this. And just like the Galaxy isn't black and white, neither is the Force. Ashla and Bogan are not synonymous with good and evil, nor is every aspect of the Force tied to them," he explained, albeit in his characteristically blunt and unimpressed fashion. He could ramble on about that particular subject for hours, in all likeliehood, but that was not the point. "Saying you're uninterested because of who I am is not only incredibly reductionist, but also kind of dumb," he let her know. "And I think you're a pain in the ass. But I don't think you're dumb."

div-green.png

"Now who's relentless."

Despite her natural-born impulse to defy, the girl's hardline expression wavered in what could only be read as deliberation.

This had to be some stupidly transparent trap. He was baiting her. He had to be baiting her.

And yet, part of her wanted to try. To test whatever waters he'd laid out before her. To be allowed the platform to lash out without tangible repercussion. To be allowed an excuse.

And hey, maybe learn something about his rather unorthodox force presence in the process.

Her jaw clenched. Were her principles really that soft? She was treading one hell of a dangerous line. Willingly.

Although in hindsight that inherent, almost deadly curiosity had backing. Runes were rooted in the dark.. and well, she did use them more than the typical Jedi probably should.

She only stared him down a moment, nostrils flaring ever so slightly at the indirect mention of having killed someone. For him no less. Perhaps it was the only way for her to have survived, but still- it didn't make the notion go down any easier.

"Ok sure-" With eyes narrowed in distrust, she conceded. "I'll play your game, but only if you take me to whichever trash heap you plan on dumping me first."

As a sign of good faith, she tapped into the force, brushing against Terror's own imprint.

Still she kept her mental shields rooted stubbornly in place, vigilance like a live wire ready to snap at the faintest sign of deception.

"We are en route to the next Hyperspace lane. We'll get there when we get there," he grunted. "Now focus."

As she reached into Terror's own presence in the Force... Well. She would become aware of a number of things.

Terror was, indeed, not all that complex, compared to a more sentient being. Not to mention he was a baby. His emotions and mind were simple to understand. He was fed and well rested, which meant one thing: he was brimming with energy, and eager to spend it on something.

He was also... mildly confused. By her. It wasn't the bad kind of confusion, however. It was brimming with excitement and curiosity, and an eagerness to love and be loved. He was a pack animal, and having a potential new member to his family was a puzzling, yet very enticing concept. It felt right to the little creature. And as Capris brushed against him, there was a distinct sense of welcoming, an eagerness to connect with another being on a primal level.

Temerant was still very much a ghost in the Force. An emptiness through which it flowed. And yet, the small animal seemed distinctly tethered to him, as if bypassing whatever the man was doing to keep himself hidden. Clearly, he did not think she could reach him, otherwise this would've clearly not been allowed. More troubling, perhaps, were the emotions attached to it. Terror felt nothing but pure adoration and admiration for the man. He was his pack leader. His provider and protector. His teacher. The fact that there was no blood relation, or that they were not even the same species had no bearing on the baby. To him, he might just as well be his father.

There was a slight element of fear, too, but the kind that a toddler feels of disappointing or annoying their parental figure, far from the emotion that was to be his namesake. No, whatever their relationship was, Terror felt safe with the ornery fellow. Safe and loved.

"Good... Remember. Offer him guidance and partnership. Find common ground, and let his spirit be as your own," he said as he tossed the ball.

Terror shot up to all fours, body stretching in his direction, yet remained in place, held by the invisible leash of Temerant's own will and instruction. Capris would feel his innate desire not just to play, but to hunt. To do that for which he'd been born. To seek and to stalk his prey, that he might polish the skills that would one day make him a fearsome predator. It wasn't a conscious desire, but one born from instinct. It was his nature, founded in thousands of years of evolution. It was what those who'd come before him did, and what they would continue to do until the end of days.

It was who he was... And who his father was.

div-green.png

Terror met her halfway, a flame jittery with curiosity. And one that, despite her best attempts to keep veering on the cliff of detachment, seemed intent on pushing every synapse-firing emotion through their newly forged link.

It was hard not to reciprocate. Hard not to be pulled in.

What really got a reaction from the girl however, was not what the cub felt towards her, but rather the wall of a man stationed beside them.

Admiration, love- complete and total trust. They were perhaps not the first things a rational creation should feel towards a figure so utterly removed from emotion himself. Like a stretch of darkness in a world that otherwise thrummed with light to the girl.

No, not darkness. Just nothing. That had to be worse. He had to be worse. What kind of person lacked any indicator of life? What kind of person severed themselves so completely?

Maybe if her poker face was any better she may have been able to stop a glance his way. A ghost in the most literal sense.

Before Capris could muse further however, sheer predatory instinct flushed out rational thought. It nearly saw her recoil, shocked at how palpably Terror was able to halve his reaction. How clearly she saw through his eyes rather than her own.

But no she was meant to drive this, not him.

With almost too gentle of a mental prod, Capris encouraged the Vornskr forward. Cautioning his pace as to not have history repeat itself. Cautioning patience.

It was strange.. This near laser focus she seemed to now have courtesy of Terror. Eyes locked on the chew toy, watching, no feeling as instinct piloted his body. Was this what it felt like to hunt? On some primal level, inhuman level.

Odd. Definitely odd.

Temerant quirked a brow as she glanced his way, but did not say anything.

She was an oddball, this one. She was not subtle about her contempt, and he had no love for the Jedi. But all in all, she wasn't as unreasonable as he might have expected. He could feel her, through the bond with the Vornskr, but did not intrude. This was something personal. Something... Almost sacred. His role there was to instruct, but not to interfere.

"Good," he grunted as he controlled the toy with the force, guiding it through a path which would naturally provide them with cover and obstacles. "The key is teaching him... But allowing him to teach you, too. Listen to his instincts. Temper them with your mind."

The hunt was a thrilling and strange experience. The world outside was dark and cold, and the spaceship hummed with an unnatural energy. But inside, there was prey to be had, and to Terror that was the only thing that mattered.

The toy darted and weaved through the air, and the pup's senses were attuned to its every movement. Its tiny body quivered with excitement, and its paws twitched with anticipatio
n. The hunt was on, and the cub was determined to catch its prey. Moving through the cramped space of the spaceship, the baby vornskr followed the toy with a single-minded focus, allowing the girl to feel what he felt. The suspense. The thrill. The freedom. Every twist and turn was a challenge, made moreso by the man controlling their would-be prey but the baby vornskr was undeterred. It followed her instructions scrambling over obstacles and through tight spaces, its eyes fixed on the toy that moved just out of reach.

As the hunt progressed, she would begin to develop a sense of the toy's movements alongside her hunting partner. Together, they would learn to anticipate its every turn, and to position themselves just right for the perfect pounce. And when they finally caught the toy, there was a rush of triumph that filled the puppy's tiny heart. In that moment, he felt alive and invincible. The strange world outside was forgotten. In that moment, they might as well have been in a lush and dense forest, for all that mattered was the thrill of the chase and the joy of victory. This what being a vornskr meant, and doing it with pack... Well. There was something special about that.

Brimming with glee, he rushed back to her, offering the toy as tribute at her feet, or perhaps sharing in their victory. The pup likely did not comprehend what had truly transpired. But he felt it, and perhaps on some primal, instictive level, understood it. She had been with him on the hunt. Guided and nurtured his skills. And to him, that was enough. That was what family did.

div-green.png

The toy fell with a slobbered thud to her feet, its deliverer all but glowing with pride. A raw unmediated thrill saturating everything the pup saw. Everything she saw.

Faintly, still very aware of who she was in the presence of, the girl considered all that had transpired. How absolutely bizarre it was for her to be in this position. Not one to let a victory go uncelebrated however, she then stooped to the Vonskr's level, ruffling the fur on his head all while dishing out a slew of who'sagoodboys. A dog was a dog. A little thing like allegiance wasn't going to keep the girl from living her truth as a diehard animal enthusiast.

Still, her situation was every bit as intense and draining as it had been originally. Perhaps this was not procedure when it came to being captive, but the fact of the matter remained that she was a prisoner. Dog or no dog.

So when she looked back up at Temerant, attempting the impossible task of gauging his reaction, he was still met with the same tempered distrust. Although this time paired with an undercurrent of confusion. Confusion at his person. To how a man like him could have even a tiny margin of humanizing qualities.

Thoughts she would keep to herself for the time being.

"Right, we done here?"

The hooded fellow watched as she spoiled Terror with compliments, who seemed just delighted to receive the attention and praise, his poisonous tail wagging wildly. He commanded the pad to retun to his hand as he fell to a squat once she was done.

"Good job, boy," he simply told him, stretching out a hand. Terror was quick to lean his head into it, eyes closing to the contact as he lightly scratched the back of his ear. "Now sit," he instructed. Like there was a magnet on his rump, the puppy's behind plummeted to the floor. He pulled back his hand, holding it out expectantly. "Tail," he demanded then. The cub complied, putting the non-spiky part on his hand, the Sith taking a moment to return the protective padding to the tail. Terror's ears perked up. "Hold..." the man said as he stood back up. "Patience..." he continued as the baby honed in on the waggling of his own tail. "Have fun."

Terror shot onto the chew toy, wrestling with himself as he secured it firmly between his jaws, soon calming down a little as he enjoyed the sensation, remaining on his back as he continued to fidget. He seemed content, as if not a worry in the galaxy could reach him.

"We are," the man gave her a dull look in return. "You did well. That was good leadership," he noted as he returned to his seat.

"And just in time, too," X3 noted as he came in with a tray full of delectable food. Burgers oozed with grease, fries of different kinds were on display. Tenders with a variety of accompanying condiments and sauces. Some manner of cheese was in a bowl, looking semi-solid, as well as a selection of greens and other vegetables, all topped off with some fruit.

"I committed the terrible mistake of not asking for your preference, Miss Halcyion, so I prepared one of Master's favourite meals," he explained.

"Have you..." Temerant began.

X3 would have rolled his eyes if he had them. "Yes, I have portioned them according to your caloric intake and expenditure, Master," he reassured him. "Also, for the fact that you've been shot and poisoned. But fret not. Your efficiency will remain maximized," he reassured him. "Not that I think it'd make that big of a difference. You eat like a hutt and you are still built like a tank, even when you fall off diet," he noted, before pointing to the watch. "Would you mind?"

Tem lifted the pieces off with the Force, momentarily distracted as he concentrated on reassembling the piece.

"Thank you," the droid managed. "I hope everything is to your liking, Miss Halcyon. You've had some day. I do hope the Jedi award you some manner of accolade," he remarked.

"For what?" Temerant gruffed, dismissive. "She failed her mission," he reminded them bluntly.

"Yes, well," the droid incorporated defensively after putting a mantle over the holo-table. "She also dealt with you all day, Master. Surely, they have made people war heroes for less."

Temerant rocked his head from side to side. "Fair," he grunted, putting the last screw in and pocketing the device as he moved to take his seat. "Though by that logic, I should be regarded as a legend for putting up with you every day," he jabbed back.

"Please," the droid dismissed him this time around as he moved to serve the plates over the table. "You wouldn't know what to do with yourself without me."

Temerant, surprisingly, did not contest that. "Bucket head," he growled.

"Nerf herder," the droid shot back.

div-green.png

“Trying to clog my arteries so you don’t have to kill me yourself?” Even as she made the comment, the girl scoped out a fry from X3’s loaded platter, tossing it down for the preoccupied Vornskr to scarf up.

Greasy food. Truly the great equalizer. With an appreciative nod to X3, she made sure to dispel any fear the buffet was subpar.

And yet, Temerant once again swept in to ruin the moment. While Capris may have bristled at the man’s blunt remainder, her irritation didn’t manifest into words this time around. He was right after all. She’d failed. Remarkably.

And that would sit with her awhile.

Freeing a tender from the plate, she began to indulge all while Temerant and X3 bickered on like some old married couple. A fascinating display really. Flares of personality awakening in the Sith. She merely raised an eyebrow at that, tugging off a piece of tender with her teeth.

“Do you always call your droid names?” Word muffled in between bites of food, she didn’t bother better articulating, “That’s way too cheap of a comeback. You’re usually so verbose.”

“Also-”
She gestured with the tender in hand, down to the passion project she just watched him pocket, “What’s the deal with the clock?”

"Only when he deserves it," the man noted dryly. "Which is most of the time."

"Eighty three point six percent of the time, to be precise," X3 sassed.

"Hrmph..." Temerant scoffed as he grabbed a burger... then quirked a brow. Right. Mask. He was not accostumed to eating in company. "Bring me a tray," he demanded from the droid then, beginning to set aside massive portions for himself.

The droid sighed. "Right, right. Anonymity and all. As you wish, Master," he conceded.

"As for the watch, it's rather sophisticated for such primitive technology," the man noted. "It requires a lot of finesse to disassemble and reassemble. It helps me practice my motor skills with the Force," he replied, not bothering to conceal his reasoning. "The Force is in many ways like a muscle. Sure, some people may be born with innately more power and talent, but it's ultimately something you can refine through training and meditation. So I do," he shrugged slightly. "If you had better control over those runes of yours, you might've actually caught me off-guard back at the casino. But you take too long to conjure them. It's something you should work on," he noted as he finished setting his food aside.

"Oh give the girl a break, Master," X3 chided.

"I'm giving her advice," Temerant noted. "Could save her life one day. Or at the very least, make things interesting when she inevitably grabs her buddies and comes looking for me."

"Oh, don't be that way. I'm sure Miss Halcyon wouldn't..." the droid tried to argue in her behalf, but Temerant interrupted.

"Just watch," he gruffed, moving to take his food to his quarters. "Good night, Capris," he managed, nevertheless. Polite when he wanted to, if nothing else.

The droid let out an audible sigh, before looking to the young Jedi.

"So... How's everything?" he attempted to make some small talk.

The next day would prove rather uneventful, except for the usual bickering between the robotic butler and his ornery master. X3 kept nagging him over training whilst hurt, whilst Temerant dismissed the notion by arguing he hadn't used his bad arm.

He did not seem much too inclined to further engage the girl, almost sulking about having to deviate from course to drop her off, taking one of his non-descript ships to carry her to the world of Alderaan.

It was... a breath taking place. Lush and green with snow-capped mountains, crystal lakes and beautiful white architecture. They had little in the way of trouble accessing the planet, the man dropping her off at a space-port.

X3 had prepared a bag for her which was much too large, the droid citing all the things he'd packed.

"There's some fresh clothes, and some reading material, and a little money in case you need to find lodgings and food, and some left-overs, and..." he listed, quite proud of himself.

"X3," Temerant grumbled, leaning against a wall, arms crossed. "Just let the girl go."

"Right, right, right!" the droid conceded. "It was lovely meeting you, Miss Halcyon! I do wish we could get to spend some more quality time together, but you know..." he apologized.

"Hrmph," Temerant scoffed, as he was prone to, waving two fingers almost dismissively as he turned to return to the cockpit. "So long," he simply bid her.

"Master, come on, that's no way to... Oh, fine, just ignore me then," the droid grumbled as he did just that, continuing on his way. "Well, I guess this is good bye! You take care out there, you hear?"

Terror whined at her side, pawing at her legs eagerly, as if begging her not to leave.

"Oh, don't you make it harder than it has to be, furball!" the droid chided.

With their goodbyes in place, the ship would eventually make its leave. Nestled within the bag, amongst all the things X3 had listed, Capris would find a perhaps unexpected item amongst all the comfort items: a primitive, analogue wrist-watch.

Strange.

div-green.png

It’d been one sleepless night. And day for that matter.

But true to his word, the inquisitor didn’t keep her hostage. Instead discarding the padawan with a swiss army bag of good on Alderaan of all places. Weirdly generous. Try as she might, she couldn’t hide her utter fascination, eyes locked on the viewpoint as they made their descent. She’d never seen so much green before.

The goodbyes were short, and frankly unwarranted. Again, she was a prisoner, wasn’t she? Why did X3 seem so intent on insisting otherwise. On treating her with base respect?

Probaby compensating for Temerant’s utter lack. That had to be it.

“Thanks.” The girl dipped her head to X3, loosening almost an amused breath at his obsessive preparation, I'll do my best."“

Crouching to the Vorskr’s level, she flattened his ear with a gentle head rub, trying to ease his mild separation anxiety. Even she had to admit he’d be missed. Poor guy, stuck with an emotionless brick like Temerant. When would justice be served?

Attention flickering up towards the man himself, she echoed his nonchalance with loaded sarcasm. “Yeah. Try not to miss me too much.”

She could only stand there a moment as it all came to an end. The residual shock dissipating as she finally shook herself from it. That was..an experience to be sure, but she had places to be and people to disappoint so there was no real point in loitering.

Moving away from the space port, ready to phone in help and probably reassess her life choices, a free hand fished through the “care package” until something X3 had failed to mention cropped up.

Thumb grazing the intricate workings, she stared at the machinery a moment, failing to make sense of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom