Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Savant Cube

Status
Not open for further replies.
AI3eq5e.png

Image Source: Prometheus, film
Intent: To create a unique reward for Primeval members who participated in the Invasion of Wayland.
Development Thread: We Are The Primeval
Manufacturer: N/A
Model: N/A
Affiliation: The Primeval
Modularity: No
Production: Limited
Material: Alumabronze, Agrinium, Parts Unknown

Description: Little is known about the Savant Cube other than its ability to eaves drop. This unique device allows its wielder to witness events, listen in on whispers, and keep a watchful eye on things without the need for high technology or the force. When one twists the top layer the cube emits energy that lingers in a small radius--temporarily--this presence lasts several hours and although it is faintly detectable by force-sensitives the exact nature of its energy is nigh impossible to determine other than it's the force. A powerful force-user may not only pick up the energy emitted but may also detect the faint signs of another presence in the room which may be enough to arouse suspicion of a watchful eye. When the wielder twists the bottom layer the device allows the holder of this cube to witness all that transpires within that energy as if being in an out-of-body-experience.

This period only lasts six minutes, in which afterwards the cube shuts off and the lingering energy dissipates. When undergoing the experience, one maintains all senses except those perceptions which require the force. The user is not able to project any power or influence within the area and is merely a quiet observer. As well, force-sensitives are difficult to see or hear; becoming worsened depending on how much force energy that person emits themselves.

One outstanding issue with the cube is that any attempt to pry it open results in the device melting down within itself, making it impossible to reverse engineer and thus impossible to reproduce. As well, understanding how the cube works requires trial and error. There's no indication as to which layer is which, making clever to carve symbols onto either side as a reminder. Once a user becomes comfortable with the cube's functions, it's relatively easy to use and doesn't tax on the user in any noticeable way.

The exact nature of how these devices work, who created them, or even what their original purpose was remains an unsolved mystery. What is understood, however, is that the object is powered through the force and was likely created by force users at some point in history. When using the device, the actual experience is much like swimming. The user becomes fully aware of all happenings in a ten meter bubble, but may only access the bubble from fifty meters away or less. Everything that is experienced happens in real time, as well; so even as the energy lingers it does not memorize anything that happens within it. Whilst using it the user's physical body is in a trance-like state, they become almost stiff and are unaware of what's happening to them during this.

Effective Radius: Ten meters
Listening Range: Fifty meters

Strengths:
Third Eye: The Savant Cube allows its user to witness events from a distance, using an out-of-body-experience. Users can hear, smell, and see but not reach out with the force or physical contact.
Simple: The simplicity of the device makes it easy to learn and despite its nature being that within the realm of the force one doesn't need to be force-sensitive to use it.

Weaknesses:
Irreplicable: The device cannot be replicated due to its self-destruct feature that's triggered by any attempt to pry away at any of the parts, further more no outside observations reveal valuable data.
Helpless: When in use, the user enters a trance-like state and is completely unaware of events transpiring around their physical body which brings great risk should something happen during that trance.

Primary Source: N/A

RESEARCH REVIEW

Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review

Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review

WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review

WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review

SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

[member="Anja Aj'Rou"]

Before I get started on this, do you have any canon precedence for this? Be it the ability of a species, some form of technology, a force artifact perhaps, or a specific force ability?

[member="War Hydra"]

Such abilities have been available in any number of ways:
Essentially the force itself offers precedence in canon.

"The Force is what gives a Jedi power. It's an energy field created by all living things. it surrounds us and penetrates us; it binds the galaxy together." Obi-Wan Kenobi (A New Hope)

I wouldn't be surprised if there are plenty of other examples out there. I'll be honest, I didn't do a whole lot of research on the subject but I do know it's not entirely foreign to the universe either; in both Lucas Canon and EU Canon.

[member="Anja Aj'Rou"]

Alright. While I appreciate that you want this object to be a mystery IC, we need to have clearly defined capabilities for this submission on an OOC level before it can be approved.

For starters, I'm going to need you to specify if the object utilizes technology or acts as some form of force artifact and I'm going to need you to clarify the "what" and "how" that goes into this thing working.
Being an artifact or a technological device produces a fairly big difference in a roleplay when someone is trying to protect themselves against this technology. Similarly, opposing writers need to know what their character is being exposed to so that those writers have the capacity to choose to have their characters detect, defend, block, or counter the effects of this item, should said writer choose to do so.

Once you decide which route you want to take, I'm going to need you to work in specific strengths, weaknesses, and general capabilities for this submission.

For example... Does the character actually have an out of body experience?
Does their awareness float around within the 50 meter bubble for 6 minutes as they watch things, or is the user aware of everything at once within the entire 50 meter area of effect?
Also, what happens to the user while they are using this thing? Are they capable of moving their bodies for those 6 minutes, or are they helpless and vulnerable for the 6 minute duration of this object?
Does the "out of body experience" happen in real time? Meaning, are they seeing things as they are happening, or does the "memory" of an out of body experience download into them after the object shuts down?

Anja Aj'Rou said:
What is understood, however, is that the object is powered through the force and was likely created by a force order at some point in history. When using the device, the actual experience is must like swimming. The user becomes fully aware of all happenings in a ten meter bubble, but may only access the bubble from fifty meters away or less. Everything that is experienced happens in real time, as well; so even as the energy lingers it does not memorize anything that happens within it. Whilst using it the user's physical body is in a trance-like state, they become almost stiff and are unaware of what's happening to them during this.

[member="War Hydra"]

Does that suffice? I also added a weakness.

Anja Aj'Rou said:
Helpless: When in use, the user enters a trance-like state and is completely unaware of events transpiring around their physical body which brings great risk should something happen during that trance.

[member="Anja Aj'Rou"]

Anja Aj'Rou said:
the actual experience is must like swimming.

*much?

Anja Aj'Rou said:
Does that suffice? I also added a weakness.

For the most part, this is good. But I'm also going to need details that would help a writer with a force sensitive character decide how to go about detecting, countering, or actively/passively defending against this.
For instance, would they detect the astral projection or would they detect the energy surge from the artifact itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom