Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Saturdays Are For the Boys [ Centrality ]

Noah Corek Jr. Noah Corek Jr. | Dela III | Banking District
e0036e6653f5c78a69f325d60f62fd55.jpg

Banking was not his forte, although it was for the aloof Casteel Mer'taal Casteel Mer'taal . Having spent too much time on Empress Teta in a closed off bunker with the man, Makai had extended an invitation to come stay at Huila Station and work within the region. There was plenty of opportunity and he couldn't turn a blind eye to the fact his main headquarters was now bombed out. However....it probably didn't help that the financial powerhouse of Centrality, Dela III, was now also bombed out. Civilians all but destroyed and wiped out. It had happened so quickly, many things destroyed had been left behind.

That also meant the banking system. Dela III was known for being the financial powerhouse of the region ; mining company and wealthy tourists from Oseon had accounts and safe deposit boxes all over the planet. Attacked, those contents had remained behind. Folks were either displaced or dead, leaving behind their deposits. The blonde man had taken his advice and gone and purchased the Oseon Miners Credit Union along with Bank of Dela III. With Makai's plans to turn Oseon back into a miners stronghold once again, there would be the need for banking services. Makai could even see the stock exchange being re-started, but the half-Galan wasn't sure if Casteel was interested in such a thing. Baby steps.

First baby step : hire security to keep the bank free from looters. There wasn't many he trusted for the task. Word had gotten through the pipeline that Corek Junior, or Jay-R as Makai called him, was doing contracted work for his father. The half-Galan called him to the planet, hoping he could assess the task at hand.

Standing near the ruined Bank of Dela III, he waited patiently for Jay-R. Salacia representatives were already on the ground, walking through with datapads, assessing what it would take to clear rubble and debris from the city blocks.

Working for his father as a independent contractor had not been Junior's first idea of his first 'real' job but he took it in stride. The credits were good, there was a steady stream of work now with his father's companies taking on contracts with the reconstruction efforts in Centrality and of course as an independent contractor he could pick and choose which contracts he wanted to take on and come and go as he pleased. It had been with this in mind that he had chosen to take on a contract from Salacia since he knew that his old friend Makai Dashiell Makai Dashiell would be there.

Landing on the world of Dela III Noah the younger was not surprised to see the devastation that the Bryn'adul had inflicted on the world. Growing up he remembered seeing on the holo the throngs of refugees fleeing the Bryn'adul and had even watched as his father deployed with the New Republic Army to fight against them. It was only now that the young Corek understood why his father had gone off to fight them as he saw what could have happened to other worlds had he not.

Stepping over rubble and debris he finally made his way to where his childhood friend was. "Alright Makky, I'm here as requested now can you tell me why I've dragged myself from the Legion's headquarters on the nice cushy capital of this system to here?"

"Alright Makky, I'm here as requested now can you tell me why I've dragged myself from the Legion's headquarters on the nice cushy capital of this system to here?"

Bemused expression over took him. Perhaps he had been hanging around Casteel far too much lately but what every happened to a simple greeting? Maybe it was due to conducting so much business lately, there was a procedure of niceties one had to follow. Makai knew the younger Corek was more rough around the edges in this regard, knowing he was staying far away from the family business.

Makai found it foolish, but each man had to make their own decisions in life.

"Hello Jay-R. Its a pleasure to see you as well."

A little dry. Too much time with the blonde banker.

"How have you been? What have you been up to? Your father tells me you've been working as a contract for him, which is why I have dragged you from your golden palace. I've hired you for a job. We can get to that in a few minutes, I'd rather hear about you. Weren't you dating some Zeltron? Where is she at, I wanted to meet her. You've kept her under lock and key like she's going to escape your grasp."

The half-Galan turned in place, looking around as if this woman was hiding in plain sight. He had only heard her mentioned before, not even a holo.

"Is she here? We can do a double date."

A simple greeting from a member of the Corek family was asking a bit much from Junior, having grown up around his parents and older siblings had instilled into him a level of showmanship one wouldn't expect from the son a long line of warriors. But the young man had also grown up in a household of what was basically Mandalorian nobility, if there was such a thing, and did understand some etiquette that was put on display when he extended his hand for Makai Dashiell Makai Dashiell to shake.

He chuckled at Makky's rather dry welcome but knew it was less from unhappiness in seeing him and more likely from the massive amount of business that he was conducting as of late. "What's with all the stiffness Makky? It wasn't too long ago we were foiling a heist together." A lopsided grin graced the young man's face, an almost carbon copy of his fathers.

When the topic of his life came up Junior shrugged. "It's not my favorite of jobs or how I got it but the credits are good and it gives me some freedom as well." And that's when his love life was brought up and he snorted through his nose and gave Makai and soft punch to the arm. "Here name is Lossa Darcuhl Lossa Darcuhl and we were never dating and I haven't seen her for a few months now, she's pregnant though and no before you ask it's not mine but since you've decided to bring up my love life how is yours? I hear you and Myra Arcenau are getting married...the Princess of Trade, how'd you manage to trick her into that?"

"If its not your favorite job why not just do something you enjoy? What do you enjoy? Start your own company from that..."

Seemed simple enough to him. Balancing his own holdings company with Salacia was tricky, but Makai was still finding things he enjoyed. Salvage was never his thing but it paid the bills and kept employees on the roster. Perhaps he had a higher sense of maturity than Jay-R, a deeper sense of the business he had been trained to take over since a younger age.

"How do you know its not yours? You don't have to date someone to get them pregnant. I mean..." Makai shrugged, as if to say things happen. He figured that this woman was more than likely just a friend, but a little gentle teasing never hurt now and again. At least Jay-R didn't seem too upset at the fact this woman was pregnant and more than likely, not at all interested in a space faring Mando. "Don't let me find out you're a deadbeat Dad."

Iced azure eyes leveled a look at the other man, clearly not believing the story. Hands went into his pockets at the mention of his own love life and he nodded, laughing a little at the phrase of 'tricking' Ellie into being with him.

"If Ellie wakes up and thought too hard, she would realize she can do way better than myself. I keep her happy enough so she doesn't start thinking of what she could be missing out on. How did I trick her? Let's see....step one, be childhood best friends. Step two, have a pretty face. Step three, beg for forgiveness."

He looked over to Junior, a smart-assed smirk on his face.

"Follow me for more relationship advice."

Junior would have been lying if he said he wasn't currently chafing under the question of his friend Makai Dashiell Makai Dashiell at the moment. His question was a honest and valid one. Why wasn't Junior doing a job he actually liked? Well it wasn't like Junior didn't like his current job, he actually enjoyed it very well and the pay and benefits were very good, not that he needed it of course. "I don't dislike my job quite the opposite...just wishing that I didn't have to do it working for dad but it's a good starting point."

When the conversation swung back to Lossa again he sighed and his hand reached up to rub the bridge of his nose. "I know it's not mine Makky because I know how basic biology works. If you don't have sex it can't possibly be your baby...no matter how much you want it to be." He rubbed the back of his neck before he decided to speak again. "She was nice and attractive yeah but we run in two very different circles and right now what she needs is stability and a space faring Mandalorian mercenary isn't the best partner to provide that for her."

He listened to Makky's words about how to get a woman to decide to marry you and fought hard not to laugh at loud at his friends words and shook his head when the young man finished giving him his 'advice'. "Okay Makky, whatever you say buddy. I'll get right on that."

"Ah, I understand completely."

On both fronts. Makai had started his own company to focus in mining, gemstones, and various ores. Salacia did it as well and it was how Makai has gained his interest in the field of geology and mineralogy. However, he had ideas for his own ventures and was eager to do his own thing out of the realm of Salacia. His father could easily work another twenty years and he didn't want to wait that long. Long term, the company would be valuable to have, once he and Ellie started their own family perhaps one of his children would take over in the future.

"Very mature of you. Look at my boy Jay-R, growing up. Is this what parents feel? So proud."

A little gentle ribbing couldn't hurt things. Makai could tell he struck a nerve when he mentioned the woman. To be fair, the half-Galan had no idea about her and asking was like shooting in the dark. All he had known at one point was they spent time together and that Jay-R definitely had at the very least a crush. Still had a crush if he had to guess.

"Beyond treating her right, I really don't have advice. We're a unique situation."

Makai turned, Jay-R turning with him to look out at the bombed and now overgrown financial district.

"On to business...I called you here because a friend of Ellie's bought two banks on this block. Deposits and safety deposit boxes are still in place...or mostly in place. I need you and your crew to guard the area. Either until the credits and valuables are removed or until we've completed reconstruction. Probably until reconstruction. There's going to be a lot of folks trying to take advantage of the situation once word gets out Centrality is trying to be rebuilt."

He nodded along to his words about understanding, Junior knew that he was not the only one who suffered from being in the shadow of their much more famous parent, something he knew that Makai struggled with probably. "I enjoy the work now...though I'm saving up to buy a ship. There's this old Dynamic-class freight that I already put a down payment on it. A little on the fixer-upper side but its got the right amount of bones to be a good ship, after that I might strike out on my own. Bounty hunting and the like perhaps."

For now though that was just a dream until he raised enough money like he said. When Makai spoke about being proud of him and feeling what parents felt Junior rolled his eyes so hard it was a wonder they didn't pop out of his head. "For Manda's sake Makky you're starting to sound like my mothers..."

Shooting a chit eating grin over to his friend he heard him talk about treating his significant other right and he nodded. "About the same thing I've heard from my father. So at least I know you're not entirely full of bantha poodoo."

And then they got onto business. He listened to Makai speak about the situation and nodded along. "Sounds about right. Chitheads are always looking to exploit some chaos to enrich themselves. Show me to these banks so I can get a good idea of what needs guarding and how many people I'm gonna need."

Makai raised an eyebrow ; bounty hunting? He wouldn't have thought such a thing. There was no judgement on his end, more of a surprise. If Jay-R enjoyed the work, the half-Galan expected him to say something along the lines of security company or weaponry manufacturing company. Bounty hunting threw him for a loop, no wonder at their last meeting Jay-R had mentioned his mothers were concerned.

"Am I starting to sound like your mothers? Let me pull a napkin out of my pocket, wet it with my saliva, and clean your face off. Give you the real mothering experience then."

They began to walk along the block, they didn't go far before Makai motioned to a bombed out building to his left. Weeds were starting to grow in and one half of the building was completely collapsed, the other remaining. Highly unstable, but those desperate enough would try. Bank of Dela III was massive, at one point nearly a skyscraper, a jewel of the district.

"Bank of Dela III, or whats left of it. Original blueprints say the deposits are likely in the basement. Probably going to be torn completely torn down and start fresh. Its not exactly stable, so use caution until construction starts pulling things down. Really just got to secure the perimeter. Directly across at the corner of the block ahead, the building thats mostly standing. See it? Thats the credit union. Building is in much better shape, it can be entered. Glasteel completely blown out, interior is shot, but according to engineers it should be able to come back to life quicker than the Bank of Dela III here."

Hand back in his pockets as he regarded the area.

"You'll be busy.Should be able to buy that ship by the time this contract is complete."

What better for a space faring Mandalorian who wanted to make a name for himself outside of the shadow of the father he was named after? Bounty hunting would let him travel the galaxy, visit new worlds, meet new people and if need be kill new people, though he'd prefer not to if at all possible. Maybe later on down the line he'd even set up his own company or guild of sorts and go the route his dad did but for now he was content with just hunting a few bounties.

When Makai spoke about saliva and napkins the red headed young man narrowed his eyes and pointed a finger at his friend. "If you even ATTEMPT to do that I will have you in an arm bar faster that you can even process it...don't test me Makky."

With his somewhat joking threat dispense Junior followed his friend to the area that they he was going to be guarding for the foreseeable future and observed it as Makai explained to him all about the bank and credit union. Rubbing his jaw in thought, making a mirror image of his father, he began to look around for vantage points, avenues of both ingress and egress and blind spots.

"Alright...I can get this done with about...twenty contractors, ten on eight hour shifts, two up high to observe, two guarding the credit union, two guarding the bank and four on a roving patrol. Might have to increase that to twenty-four contractors once the vault and safety deposit box rooms are opened up to provide an extra layer of security for those...but it's definitely doable."

"Threatening violence? Wow. I'm a little concerned for our friendship."

Makai wasn't concerned, they were both merely having a bit of fun at each others expense. It was typical with their interactions, although it seems Jay-R was always wanting to resort to violence. Must be the bit of Mando in him, although Makai had more than enough manners not to say anything or joke about the other mans culture and upbringing.

"Yeah, its a fairly large undertaking. I was thinking security might have to increase once more companies start arriving on the scene to rebuild this district. I'm sure the Trade Federation and one of its banking systems will come poking along soon. Galactic Banking Network as well too. Once they see credits start flowing in. I'm not sure if Casteel will bring in some of his rich buddies...hell, my old frat roommate might even be interested. He comes from a big banking family."

A slight pause.

"Whoever you bring on board Corek will have to be someone you can trust. This is a delicate job. Not saying your men aren't trustworthy, just I know the attitudes of some contractors. They just don't have the same care and concern, which makes sense I suppose. Less skin in the game so to speak."

Junior snorted and shook his head when Makky jokingly brought concern for their friendship into question. "Pfft. Trust me if I could get through years of threatening violence with my twin sister I'm sure our friendship will be fine." Junior of course left out the fact of their Force bond and the fact that the two of them had shared a womb, though this was obvious since they were twins of course. "Besides, threatening violence against friends is just part of my cultures and not just my Mandalorian heritage."

Junior listened to Makky speak about the financial district and the people that its revival might attract. "Ugh. The Trade Federation, don't get me started. You ever read the history of the wars and conflicts that particular organization has started? Quick spoiler, it's a lot. It's sad to be honest that the Alliance is allowing them to have as much power as they do."

With his somewhat political rant done Junior processed what Makky was saying about having to have people he trusted to be on this job. "Don't worry about any of the contractors. Dad only hires the best, former military and law enforcement make up over ninety-five percent of the Legion's personnel. Add to that all Legion recruits go through extensive checks through almost all major criminal and intelligence database and get mandatory biannual psychological examinations and you've got probably the most trustworthy contractors money can buy."

A small nod.

"I think the issue with the Trade Federation and the Alliance is the fact the Trade Federation owns shares and stocks and interest in some of these companies. Makes if difficult to keep impartiality. I've dealt with them recently...you've got to stand your ground as a business owner. I think that's every contract negotiation though, if you're not looking out for your business then no one else will."

A small pause.

"Which is why Aina Holdings and Salacia Consolidated will remain in the family. Makes it difficult to be swayed by outside forces...if you don't have any shareholders to disagree."

Makai wasn't one for politics. His company did business all over and for the most part, life was the same everywhere. He was more concerned with other companies, the board room, and ensuring he kept positive relations with other owners and executives in the 'verse.

"Your contractors sound fine, great even. Think you can get started tonight or tomorrow? Not sure if your father has created a headquarters to work out of yet."

Huila Station was their central hub, towed into place and set up for employees of his and the Arceneaus respective companies.

"How long do you think you'll be out here personally? I mean, work will be on going for years. A few months minimum for us, until things are established. Not sure where we are going after the wedding..."

Noah Corek Jr. Noah Corek Jr.

Junior shrugged when Makai Dashiell Makai Dashiell brought up the reason the Trade Federation and the Alliance were so chummy chummy. "I can't tell you I've had many interactions with them, dad tries to avoid having any contracts with them whatsoever. But the few times that he has he's basically said the same thing, stand your ground and stick to your stick to your guns."

He nodded to Makky when he mentioned that these were the reasons that his family's company's would remain that, in the family. "My dad has been trying recently to buy up as many of the shares of Hekler'Kok as he can so he can convert it into a private company. Says he doesn't wamt some corporate idiot to come in one day and ruin his good name...can't say I'd want that either to be honest."

He surveyed the buildings again and turned to Makky to speak. "They're a good group of people. Dad has access to a lot of resources to prevent bad seeds from getting in but full transparency it's not a 100% foolproof system but anyone who does slip through the cracks doesn't last for long. As for a headquarters, yeah we've got one. Your future mother-in-law had us set up with some old residential building on the system capital. There are regional offices all over the system though so I'll get a few guys here tonight to start but the rest will get here in the morning."

A thoughtful look came over the young man's face when Makky brought up how long he'd be staying personally before shrugging. "Two or three months at a minimum to make sure everything gets set up properly but at most probably six. Also: make sure I get an invite to the wedding..."

"Oh, that's good that Danger set you up with somewhere to stay. With everything being razed its hard ; don't want the employees living in tent cities, you know? Its already hard enough to pull away some from their families, the area still holds a lot of issues and trying to get a family out here with what happened? So we towed in a space station to house most people, that's where I'm staying. We anchored it fairly centrally so it makes things easier to get around."

Makai surveyed the buildings with a sigh. This was going to take a long time. Worth it, but he was positive it was going to take multiple visits and contracts over the years to get it right. Which was fine with him, salvage was going to be a years long project for Salacia and mining was ongoing for Aina easily. Surveying alone would take over a year.

"Look at you, putting down roots in once place for a bit."

Elbow nudged the other man.

"Yeah, you'll get an invite. It's not going to be here."

Makai paused for a moment.

"You golf? Watch graviball? I figure we can get some bonding in over the next few months."

Noah Corek Jr. Noah Corek Jr.

When Makai Dashiell Makai Dashiell mentioned living on a space station Junior wrinkled his nose in distaste. "Don't get me wrong space stations are fine and all. Convenient for an operation you and Arcenau have going on, but me? I prefer solid ground beneath my feet all day long, even if that means I have to live in a tent or a prefab barracks for few months."

When Makai mentioned putting down roots the red headed man snorted with a shake of his head. "If you call a maximum of six months staying in one place as 'putting down roots' then you have something wrong with you Makky...maybe a fear of commitment but I can't say that since you are getting married."

When sports were brought up Junior shook his head at golf. "Can't golf for the life of me, besides I find it boring as all hell." When gravi-ball was brought up Junior nodded. "Gravi-ball is pretty good but I prefer zoneball. Dad taught me and the siblings to play both of them growing up, didn't want us to grow up without at least some culture. We use to go the games on Alderaan all the time."

"I'm with you, I hate living on space stations too. However, with everything going on with Danger and Ellie, we had to find a place to stay where we could be central, and the station worked out great for that. Its an experiment too, so who knows how that will turn out. Ellie and I used to go camping on the beach as kids but I'm living with four women, none of which want to live in a tent for more than two days. Frankly, nor do I."

Camping was great. Living in a tent when he had other options at his disposal? No thanks. It sounded like a recipe for being miserable. No need for such a thing when they had resources available. Business wise, he was looking forward to a future where perhaps Huila Station could be replicated and used for other refugee projects. Maybe even on trade routes as a mini-city.

"Well...before Ellie and I got back together you know I was living out of a shuttle, mapping mining routes. The shuttle was home and I was planet hopping. Before that was bouncing between university and Celestia Station, so there's some of my perspective. Looking for a place to really set down roots though, doing quite a bit of research. Its nice to have somewhere to call home."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom