Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Run, Baby, Run

GgQCZbX.jpg
Astrid really had no clue what a Nautolan spy would look like, so she was very surprised to see that her very own agent was short, stout and a little pudgy, the antithesis of most of the Nautolans that Darth Pyrrhus and Darth Azurea had employed around the Academy on Glee Anselm and to guard both their underwater home as well as the building site of an immense new palace in which to move into.

“Well?” she asked impatiently. The two were situated on a small beach close to Pieralos, under a shady grove of palm trees. But there was no way Astrid would be mistaken for a tourist. She wore all dark clothing, which stood out among the few vacationers who wore bright, pastel bathing suits. Her face was painted in colors of the Togruta, even though she was human.

“He is living with no one,” said the Nautolan shrugging.

“No one? Not a human woman?”

“There were no females seen moving in and out of his house.”

“Not even a female Chiss?” Bellatrix was so striking that if she was there, he would have surely seen her.

“No,” said the Nautolan with a firmer voice, looking around nervously, likely afraid to be spotted with Darth Pyrrhus’s renegade daughter.

“Thank you,” she said curtly, reaching into her pocket to pay the agent handsomely for his report. She needed to know what she was getting into by visiting her parents so soon after she’d gone missing from The Retreat. Her mother, Darth Azurea was likely to be furious - that was a certainty - but Astrid had spent little time with her father over the years. She was unsure what his reaction would be when she showed up on his doorstep, but it was likely to be unpleasant at best, physical painful at worst. But according to the spy, her mother was not on Glee Anselm.

Astrid knew that Darth Pyrrhus was about to land above ground in a shuttle, so she jumped on a rented speeder bike and was off to the rendezvous point. She was going to surprise her father as he debarked from his vessel. She would probably encounter his guards too, but having some nascent Apprentice skills, Astrid was not too worried about a couple of trigger-happy Nautolan soldiers.

[member="Darth Pyrrhus"]

[member="Astrid Santii"]

Pyrrhus' ship was on its way to touch back down on Glee. It was usually a pleasant experience, but he could not shake a feel of uneasy. He found it a feeling hard to describe, and even harder to justify, so it was kept bottled down. It was not due to the nature of his trip, which had been a successful. Though everything had not gone according to plan, things had shifted in his favour eventually.

The cause of his unease lay with one of his daughters. Astrid had gone missing from the The Retreat. Pyrrhus did not suspect foul play, either by kidnappers or from someone at her location. Investigations had told otherwise. Had this been the case, he would not have hesitated to bring his fleet and lay waste to the place and nearby systems in an act of vengeance.

Most likely, however, it seemed to be something of her own doing. He had known it before his trip, so it wasn't exactly news. He had sent out scouts, reached out to contacts new and old that he thought might have any information. So far he had come out empty. Even Kregan had been sent out on a mission, following clues. This was mainly the reason for the Togruta's emotional state, for he had just heard Kregan's report. Despite high hopes, the Zabrak had failed him. The Zabrak had gotten off easy, with only a sore throat to show for his failure.

It wasn't that Pyrrhus had a lot of contact with his daughters, but still, it bothered him. She was still his daughter. In light of recent events, it was possible he was keen on preserving what little he had left of his little tribe. The whole situation was bizarre, as it felt so strange to think of her as a young adult. Had it truly been that long since she had been a mere babe? But she had grown from that little thing he once had held in his hands. She was older now. Old enough to run away.

His ship touched down, and in typical fashion his entourage disembarked with him. The Epirus Guard maintained formation as they moved out onto the landing platform. In an attempt to regain focus and rid himself of any vulnerability, he anchored himself to the present. Once he returned to his underwater lair, he would need to figure out how to proceed with this matter. There were urgent research and studies to be made, and sadly test subjects did not live forever (especially not in the conditions he left them in). However, other matters were taking precedence.

All he could hope for was a swift resolution. Though he ultimately knew that her fate was out of his hands, and how she fared would depend on her own strength and training, he could not keep it hidden from himself that he wished she would live. He wondered, if all the decisions were left to her; would she chose the life of a Sith? Or was that the very thing from which she escaped? Noticing he was holding up the party, he shook his head and walked down the ramp.

The approaching speeder bike could be seen in the distance. Though her dark clothing was almost a giveaway, again Astrid could have been mistaken at first glance for just another human tourist, going on a joyride across the sandy beaches. But as she grew closer, the whine of the bike now within earshot, it was clear – the girl on the vehicle was heading towards Darth Pyrrhus.

He was just as she remembered him – tall and imposing, his striped montrals towering above him, like some type of exhalted, living crown. While neither of the sisters mirrored Togruta that closely, Amata resembled their father more, especially in her height and her long muscular limbs. Astrid was petite with the brown hair of her mother. She felt herself to be nondescript and dull in comparison to her sibling. Her only Togruta trait was a set of pearl-white, dagger-sharp, canine teeth. But even then, she didn’t often smile as she felt her imposing smile to be incongruous with her more delicate features.

Glimpsing Darth Pyrhhus filled the girl with both a sense of warmth towards her father, coupled with a strict fear of his intimidating countenance. Since she spent summers on Shili, she understood that not all male Togrutas were as nurturing as the females, but the Sith Lord was difficult to please, his standards extremely high. As far as what she could remember. Was he the same? Or had aged softened him at all?

Astrid slowed the bike considerably in order to be seen as a noncombatant. Soon enough, she stopped it completely and gently climbed off, walking now slowly up to the Togruta and his entourage. She had no idea what to say to him, only that she wanted to see him. She was tired of running and achingly lonely. But would she find the companionship she sought with Darth Pyrrhus?

“Hello, father,” she said. The colors haphazardly painted on her face told him that she was his child, but her expression was fearful, the antithesis of Amata who was always the more assured out of the two of them.

“I’ve come home,” Astrid said, spreading her arms out like wings unfolding, so he could see that she carried no weapons, nor was returning to Glee Anselm wounded in any way.

[member="Darth Pyrrhus"]

[member="Astrid Santii"]

A speeder approached from the distance. Though he wasn't expecting such an arrival, he felt no warnings of danger. Pyrrhus was always cautious, but nothing about this screamed cause for distress. Even so, his eyes did not let the speeder go once it came within view.

Pyrrhus stood still, awaiting the arrival only a few meters from the ramp of his ship. It had the added benefit of his personal guard flanking him and the path ahead on either side. It surrounded him with a certain air of authority and importance. The guard remained unmoving. He had given no order for a change of formation.

The closer she got, the more he got the sense that he knew the figure. She felt... Familiar. Eventually, he probably knew who it was, though it was as if he refused to acknowledge it before he could confirm it. If it turned out to be a false alarm, the disappointment might be overwhelming. If he was seeing her where she surely could not be, then perhaps he was going mad... History did not lack for Sith Lords turned mentally unstable at some point in their lives.

As she was walking towards him, there could be no doubt. It was Astrid. Still, Pyrrhus remained stoic and allowed her to approach him, without any discernible emotions or reactions from him. She still seemed so tiny to him, as if just a child still... At the same time, he was caught off guard by how much she had grown.

Her words confirmed it beyond any doubt. His daughter had returned. Finally, the imposing male spoke. "You ran from The Retreat, despite having been instructed to stay. I've had your disappearance investigated, exhausted my list of contacts in efforts to learn of your location. I've sent scouts, even one of my apprentices. All efforts came up empty. Not a word, no sign of life; leaving me with no idea of where you've been!" he paused, as if to let the words spoken with his stern tone sink in. No doubt she was awaiting the final judgement.

"Yes... You are indeed my daughter." Though he didn't want to encourage disobedience, for the first time in the interaction, Pyrrhus smiled. Whatever he had wanted to accomplish didn't matter. She had followed her own path, and through the strength of her own will she had not revealed herself any sooner than when she herself had decided it was time. He was impressed.

Now, however, standing right in front of him, there would be no escape from what he planned to do next. With long steps that carried him towards her with almost surprising speed, he soon found himself within range. His arms reached out, grasping the back of the girl, and pulling her to him in a warm embrace.

Peace was a lie, there was only passion. His mind was anything but peaceful, and he felt an orchestra of emotions lining up to play their tunes. The prevalent feelings were pride, and even joy. He was happy to see his daughter again, happy that she was not hurt, but above all he was happy to see that she had chosen to return to him. For all he knew, the Jedi might've snatched her up or she could've joined them out of her own will. This was, as far as Pyrrhus could tell, the most ideal scenario.

"Welcome home, Astrid"

Astrid steeled herself for the onslaught of condemnation… but surprisingly, it never came. All along, she had felt like their mother was the more generous one, the nurturer and protector, but the thought never occurred to her that it may have been quite the opposite. Sure Darth Pyrrhus had been an imposing figure to her as a little girl, but this was only from afar. She’d never really gotten close to him after all, physically or emotionally. Astrid had clung to Amata and their mother (when Darth Azurea was around which was also seldom), but even the other females in her life could not provide enough love it seemed to fill the lonely ache that she had inside. But could her father?

With nervous eyes, she cracked a smile, but the human-Togruta hybrid was still a little distracted by just how much security the Sith Lord had around him. It was strange, but she suddenly realized just how powerful he really was. No one would need all of these guards if their life wasn’t always in danger. Right?

Then when the Togruta approached, she flinched slightly, not expecting the hug… at all. But it felt so good. Her lithe arms wrapped around him, and she clutched his broad back, her grip on him much stronger than he would have ever expected. There was a quiet vitality to Astrid, one which her petite frame and lanky gait contradicted. Could the dark-haired twin be the warrior that Amata was already proving herself to be? Only time would tell, but physically it appeared, the deck was stacked against her.

As she rested her head on Darth Pyrrhus’s chest, she wondered if it was difficult to look at his own child and not see much of a Togruta at all. Murmuring into his torso, not letting go just yet, she said, “I don’t have anything with me. I came here from Dagobah.”
Astrid did not elaborate, but this would answer the question of where the Sith Lord’s daughter had been hiding. Assumedly they were going to the underwater home, but she wasn't sure of their final destination. "I'm ready."

[member="Darth Pyrrhus"]

[member="Astrid Santii"]

He was immensely pleased that she chose to return to Glee. He would discover what had compelled her to vanish in the first place, but it could wait. There was a time and place for everything. Astrid had run away from home, and he suspected it had something to do with her sister. If it was enough to get her to go off the rader, if only for a short while, there were some serious dissatisfaction. Had he met her with scorn and harsh words, he could risk creating that same atmosphere here. Then she could be lost to him forever.

This was favourable, and Pyrrhus' mind was always scouting for the route to the optimal outcomes. That being said, the emotions were real. She had impressed him, and he chose to focus on that. Something that surprised even him, the emotions became near overwhelming as he felt her slender arms wrap around his back and hold him tight, with surprising strength. It wasn't until now he truly realized how much he had missed her. Pyrrhus would teach her all about hatred later, but now he truly enjoyed their interaction without any of it directed his way.

The embrace lasted longer than normal, and it would seem both were reluctant to let go. For now, he was content to carry the conversation on from here, as a hand stroked the back of her head. "You have yourself. That is all you will need. Everything else is just a bonus" Did the lessons start already now? It was hard for him not to impart his knowledge onto her. What he meant to suggest was that she needed to be strong enough to survive regardless of material resources and equipment. Everything else was acquired as was necessary, but never for its own sake.

When she said she was ready, he simply nodded approvingly. As the embrace at last came to its natural conclusion, Pyrrhus dismissed his guard. This left the two of them completely by themselves. The guard was more of a show of force than a necessity anway. It was his belief that with or without them, he would be safe, thanks to the power he held. In truth, he felt more likely to assign them to guard Astrid at all times instead. However, he restricted the strong urge to ensure his daughter's safety. She would never grow strong if he sheltered her and she never truly experienced conflict.

Pyrrhus gestured with an outstretched arm, before starting to walk in the direction of the shore. There they would find a transport waiting. Meanwhile, he took the opportunity to try to get to know her better "Do you like ocean planets?"

Astrid was pleasantly surprised but still wary. Was this just another test by her strict Sith trainers that perhaps Darth Pyrrhus was attune to somehow? Was she supposed to be lulled into a false sense of security in order to be tested in another way? Or even berated for allowing herself to cling to her father with the unconditional love that only his progeny could express?

It seemed not, but the Togruta would be able to tell that she was not yet relaxed as he was. Glee Anselm was a planet he controlled in all aspects. She was still a visitor, not an inhabitant yet.

“I haven’t really seen much of the ocean,” answered Astrid. “I did learn to swim on Shili though.” Astrid glanced at the transport and back up at the Sith Lord. “Are we going underwater?”

She knew that most of the citizens lived under the large bodies of water that covered the planet, but it was still inconceivable to her that they did. Much like her mother, Astrid was a little reticent about this fact, but her fear manifested itself in nervous glances and agitated hands which worried the fabric of her tunic.

“Do you own everything on Glee Anselm?” she asked as they climbed into the transport. It was naïve question, but it did seem that her father radiated power and she had always been told of his influence over the galaxy. Astrid just wasn’t sure how far it reached. Was it just Glee Anselm or did it stretch across the nearby systems?

[member="Darth Pyrrhus"]

Pyrrhus sensed the slight unease and alertness in his daughter. She wasn't fully relaxed. Maybe she didn't trust him? As nice it would have been to feel her at ease, the Sith in him couldn't help but approve of her distrust. Treachery was to be expected. Become blind to it, and it might undo you. She was a smart child.

Of course, he had been keeping tabs on the two girls all the way from Glee Anselm, with frequent reports. This did not mean he knew them well though. It was one thing to read an evaluation on paper. Interacting in person was quite the different being.

"That's good. " he said, with a little chuckle. "That's good" The girl could swim. If she hadn't possessed this skill, she could not have chosen a worse planet to come visit. Though he hoped she would stay longer than just a visit. "You'll get to see plenty of it now. And yes, we will." he replied calmly.

For whatever reason, he shared his thoughts with Astrid and added "I have a mind to have something built above water. Some kind of fortress perhaps. There aren't many areas of land on the planet, but it would be good to possess one for ourselves." it offered some variation, as well as flexibility in his ability to respond to issues as they arose.

When she asked if he owned everything on Glee Anselm, he looked at her, replying "I do." It was as simple as that. "I don't personally oversee all areas of the planet. I have my bases of operations, my vassals. Effectively, I am in control of everything and have full authority." he added briefly about the nature of his rule. "Perhaps one day I will tell you how I first seized the planet. I was merely a Sith Acolyte at the time, but I presented my plan to the Sith Lords and persuaded them to let me go through with it. As you can probably tell, it all worked out quite well." again, he smiled.

"I was promoted to Knight immediately after the planet fell to our control. My first task became to secure it in one swift military campaign." despite having said he was saving the story for later, he seemed to be telling quite a bit. This was merely the teaser though, there were more juicy details in there somewhere. "Mine was an early promotion. I had not been Acolyte long. But after my success here, there weren't really many other choices."

And with that, he finished the short version of the tale. Did it bore her, he wondered? Or was this a thing of her interest? In any case, it amused him, having his child by his side, and being able to retell tales of old conquests. It wasn't in any way to make her feel inferior, but rather open her eyes to the possibilities and widen her horizons. Young age or low rank was no obstacle. He too had once believed war and conquest to be matters of Knights and Lords. And then he had broken the pattern. She had the potential. She was a Santii. That was enough.

"And now I am a Voice of the Dark Lord. One of five." he informed her, as they made it into their transport. He wasn't even sure if she knew what being a Voice meant. The transport started moving, though it remained above water for now. Its roof was transparisteel, and she gained a clear view to the skies, just as she later would be given a clear view to observe his underwater domain. "I have authority of everything that the One Sith considers to be Sector Five. I will show you later how the borders are drawn. You would do well to be aware of them." he instructed.

[member="Astrid Santii"]

She hardly knew what any of it meant. She was not the best listener in school, much more eager to learn about hunting Akul on Shili or making jewelry out of their teeth and bones. Astrid inspected her hands, and when noticing the dirt under her fingernails, she hid them within the folds of her tunic.

She would know in time what power Darth Pyrrhus wielded.

Her father appeared to have full authority over the entire planet. This filled her with both a sense of pride and unease. But still, he treated her respectfully, despite her knowing that Amata was the favorite of the girls to become the heralded warrior of her family.

“Where’s mother?” she asked bluntly. “And Bellatrix? I know they are not around.”

She tried to keep an accusing tone out of her voice, but Astrid was a little concerned about Darth Azurea's absence.

The transport lurched forward, then hovered over the water, facing the wind, ruffling her hair and clothing as well as Pyrrhus’s robes. Suddenly a transparent dome covered the transport, and they began to submerge into the ocean. It became suddenly colder and significantly more quiet, so much that the steady breathing of her father beside her reminded her of the foreboding hiss of an Akul.

[member="Darth Pyrrhus"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom