Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ruins and relics

The beautiful, mystical planet of Dathomir held many secrets - secrets which Mara had spent her entire childhood trying to uncover. From temples to cults to hidden areas, she had wandered the planet for years until she knew every secret the planet had to offer. That was, until yesterday, when she had learned that a hidden relic belonging to the old clan of Nightsisters had slipped her notice during her years on the planet. Priding herself as an adventurer and a seeker of knowledge, Mara had enlisted the help of a hunter and returned to her home planet.

Dathomir was just as she remembered - eerie and mysterious, as if the planet was watching your every move through unseen eyes. The blood red of the sky loomed over her as she stood by her ship, waiting for her new companion to get there and reminiscing over her youth.

[member="Tyr'Vult"]

The shuttle had landed in the dockyard of a city on Dathomir. Tyr and Lyk were on that shuttle. They had arrived on the planet in response to a job from some unknown employer. It seems this person needed some help handling the local wildlife, and that happened to be what they were good at. The problem was that Lyk was having to stay in a stable because the locals were wary of the large beast. They were not use to the sight of a vult walking around, but none of the star children that Tyr had met so far were. He was going to have to go on the hunt without his furry partner it seemed. He could do this. He could handle not having anyone around for awhile. He could handle being alone........

Tyr had not made it more than a mile before he could not handle it anymore. He was too far from Lyk. He did not know these people. He did not know this planet. He could not be alone in this situation. He whistled loudly as he slowed down his steps a bit. After several seconds and even more screaming people, Lyk padded up next to him. Everything was right and proper once more. Tel'varn and Vult were not meant to be apart like this. They headed out of the city towards the area they were told to go to to meet this mysterious employer. They stood out along the way as they did, but neither paid much heed to the gaze of the star children. Clan Vult went by that name and used the face of a Vult as their symbol for a reason.

They eventually found their way to the ship where their employer was waiting. All along the way Tyr had marveled at the redness of the sky. In a vague way it reminded him of home back on Tel'erra. The night sky was always so full of shifting colors. This made him feel more at ease than he had on other planets of the star children. Dathomir was its name if he remembered correctly. He would need to add it to the mental list of ones to revisit along with Endor and Kashyyk. He turned the corner around the ship and saw his employer. It was a woman with pale skin and white hair. She was likely one of the local people. She looked like some of them that he had seen. He was wearing his Huntsman's Hide with his EPC holstered on his back. He silently walked over to her as Lyk padded over to her and touched the back of her head with his nose. Ever the trickster and prankster that one.

[member="Mara Sedaya"]

Mara sensed the presence of the hunter just moments before he approached her. A single look at him told her that he was more than up for the job. That was good - Mara had been a lone explorer for years but finding a Nightsister bow and quiver was certain to require more than just one person to get past all the hardships Dathomir liked to throw at those who roamed the planet too freely. It may have been her home planet, and a beautiful one full of magick and knowledge, but Dathomir was far from homely.

Noticing the large beast accompanying the man, Mara allowed a look of curiosity to cross her eyes for a single moment before extending her hand. "Thank you for coming to help me. I am Mara. What should I call you?"

[member="Tyr'Vult"]

OOC: I'm so sorry for the delay.

The woman seemed to have noticed his approach at the last moment, which was a good sign. Those who did not notice a predatory until their fangs were already in their flesh never last long. If she was able to handle herself, then that would make his job easier as well. He could focus more on the prey than her safety. He looked at her extended hand for a moment wondering why she extended it. Why was she doing that? What use could she have for putting her hand out to him? Wait it was one of those star child things. He put it hand out and took her hand. He shook it up and down slightly. It was such an odd habit. It was as if they wanted to make contact but were not willing to just fully embrace another. What was the point of doing that? You either fully embraced or you didn't embrace at all. Simple. Easy.

Tyr listened to her speak to him. He said to her after she had finished, " Tyr." He held a hand out to indicate the Vult next to him and continued, " Lyk." The large beast nodded its head to her slightly as a form of greeting. A look full of mischief came into Lyk's eyes as he looked at the woman. Tyr noticed it and said to the trickster, " No." Lyk gave him a pouting look but Tyr only repeated, " No." The vult made a humph and then walked off a short distance away to lay down on the ground. Tyr just shook his head then turned his attention back to the woman. He said, " When do we begin?" He might have been being a little rude to the woman, but he was just ready to get started and there was no need for the idle chatter that so many seemed to thrive on. There would be more than enough time for it during and after the hunt.

[member="Mara Sedaya"]

Surprised and pleased by the man's direct professionalism, Mara smiled slightly. "Right now, if you have everything you need. I will explain our mission in greater detail once we are moving." Once she was sure that he'd understood and was following her along with his Vult, she set off into a Dathomir wasteland. The crimson of the sky cast an unsettingly evil-looking glow on her as she began her explanation.

"I told you very little when we were first introduced, because if people knew of this mission they would set off on the same one and frankly, I have no intention of giving up my prize, because this prize is an authentic Nightsister energy bow and its quiver. My research has led me to believe it is kept in a Dathomir Sith temple for reasons that I hope will explain themselves once we reach it. I have a set of coordinates but I'm not convinced of their accuracy and most importantly, the journey will be full of very dangerous challenges, not all of which I'm experienced against or even know of, which is where you come in."

Her words left no room for politeness or beating around the bush - caring about what people thought of her was not in her nature. Besides, any man who sought out the company of a wolf over that of a human surely couldn't agree with typical human customs. But more importantly, he was not there to be her friend and it was unlikely that their paths would ever even cross again after their journey. He was there for the artifact.

[member="Tyr'Vult"]

The woman seemed to be as ready to get started as Tyr was. That was good, a really good thing. He was not going to have to worry about her it seemed. He did have something he needed to do first though before they got started. As she got going towards the objective, Tyr pulled out his carbine then sat down cross legged on the ground. He set the gun to his right before he removed his helmet. He set his helmet to his left side before he closed his yellow eyes. He bowed his head down as he laid his arms across his knee with his open palms facing the red sky. As he sat there, he began to pray, " Weave un vest. Tirn un vest. Lyr un vest. Tilla un vest. Rayn un vest." When he finished praying he staid silent and still for several moments.

Tyr evently began to stir from his prayer and opened up his eyes. He picked up his helmet next to him and placed it back over his head. He then picked up his carbine rifle and stood up. He began to follow her as he whistled. Lyk got up and padded up next to Mara. Tyr remained silent as the vult did this. His job was to watch their rear as the big beast kept track of the front. The women eventually began to speak to them as they traveled. She began to tell him of the job. The key points he noticed was there was a special bow and quiver the woman wanted and that there was dangerous beasts along the way. That was good for Tyr. He liked the idea of getting to deal with some deadly beasts. He could really get behind this adventure.

Tyr remained quiet instead of answering her. He figured it would be best to keep his focus on the task of their safety. He didn't know what the planet they were on currently on was like, but he had to judge from her behavior it was dangerous. It was always best to respect the opinions and advise of locals. Perhaps this planet and its people would prove to be better than most of the star children he had seen so far. He certainly hoped so right now.

[member="Mara Sedaya"]

As they got further away from what was one of the few civilizations on the planet and the sky's crimson darkened further still, Mara drew her saberstaff. There was a snap-hiss as the icy blue blades ignited, and the sharp contrast against the swampy reddish terrain was eerie, but Mara was long used to her planet's way of making all those who frequented it feel uneasy and it no longer affected her. She glanced behind her to Tyr, checking to see if the trademark Dathomir creepiness was bothering him at all, but as she'd expected he appeared unfazed. His vult, too, seemed oblivious to the sinister environment.

Finally she spoke again. "How familiar are you with the beings on Dathomir and with traditional Nightsister culture?" They were nearing their location, and if there was anything he didn't understand once they came face to face with whatever awaited them then the situation would worsen rapidly.
Just then she heard a familiar and deadly rumble from far off in an area more covered by forests and her grip on her lightsaber tightened. "All right, let's start with the rancors: there are rancors."

[member="Tyr'Vult"]

The further into the wilderness of Dathomir they traveled, the more feral and intimidating it became. Tyr had not experienced this kind of eerie atmosphere on any other planet he had visited yet, but it did little in the way of ruining his mood or enthusiasm. Instead it did more to spur him on. If this was what the nature of the planet was like, then he could only imagine what kind of creatures must be stalking them in the shadows right now. It was thrilling and offered him a great hunt. He was certainly being blessed by the gods right now. He smiled to himself more and more as they went further in.

Tyr listened to her when she began to speak to him. It seemed she was curious about his knowledge of things. History was nothing more than the way races crafted themselves, so Lyr would know the answer to her question. The problem though was that even if the patron god of crafting knew the answer, Tyr did not. He had no knowledge of this planet or its history beyond people were scared of it. The name rancor was certainly more familiar to him, but only slightly more so. He had heard of them in his travels and about their nature. They were large, fearsome hunters that could devour a human or tel'varn whole. Certainly worthy prey, and the ones on this planet were rumored to be more intelligent as well as bigger than the ones on other planets. Perhaps she was worried about that, which was an appropriate response. Only the inexperienced and foolish did not respect their prey, especially when their prey viewed themselves as the predator and had all right to do so.

Tyr kept his eyes open as he said, " I know almost nothing of your planet. I only know of rumors about rancors. Large, deadly hunters. That is what I have heard of them. More intelligent and larger on this planet as well. We can handle them if we approach them with enough caution and adapt to their tactics. Find a weakness and exploit it. Hunt smart. Hunt like a Vult." As he finished speaking, Lyk howled out as if answering him. The vult probably was answering him. Either way, the two were confident yet cautious about whatever it was they would run into. Being isolated from the rest of the galaxy for so long had its advantages after all, as well as its problems. Which one of them it was going to be here was yet to be seen.

[member="Mara Sedaya"]

Mara nodded. "Dathomir's rancors are not easily defeated. If we are lucky, it will not be hungry and we can go by without it attacking us. Unfortunately, that is very rare. Rancors are easily provoked and they are always hungry for easy meat. Which we need to ensure that we are not." Her only previous encounter with a rancor had been when she was nine and practicing witchcraft near a dormant volcano. She had, as was typical for her, researched rancors a good deal beforehand and survived by concealing herself and letting the beast pass her by. However, she had a feeling that they might not be so lucky this time around.

Separating her lightsabers into twin blades, Mara slipped into a semi-meditative state and let the Force enhance her hearing. The rancor was approaching steadily. It would have reached them in less than a minute. Using an old spell that she had learned when she lived on Dathomir, she tried to attune herself to the approaching rancor's senses.

Almost at once she snapped out of the trance. "I think that it has smelled us," she said carefully. "I could conceal myself from it, but you and your vult could not and I doubt I could stretch the concealment to cover you both. Running will encourage it. Unless we can convince it somehow that we are not food - which will be difficult - we will have to fight it."

[member="Tyr'Vult"]

Mara nodded. "Dathomir's rancors are not easily defeated. If we are lucky, it will not be hungry and we can go by without it attacking us. Unfortunately, that is very rare. Rancors are easily provoked and they are always hungry for easy meat. Which we need to ensure that we are not." Her only previous encounter with a rancor had been when she was nine and practicing witchcraft near a dormant volcano. She had, as was typical for her, researched rancors a good deal beforehand and survived by concealing herself and letting the beast pass her by. However, she had a feeling that they might not be so lucky this time around.

Separating her lightsabers into twin blades, Mara slipped into a semi-meditative state and let the Force enhance her hearing. The rancor was approaching steadily. It would have reached them in less than a minute. Using an old spell that she had learned when she lived on Dathomir, she tried to attune herself to the approaching rancor's senses.

Almost at once she snapped out of the trance. "I think that it has smelled us," she said carefully. "I could conceal myself from it, but you and your vult could not and I doubt I could stretch the concealment to cover you both. Running will encourage it. Unless we can convince it somehow that we are not food - which will be difficult - we will have to fight it."

[member="Tyr'Vult"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom