Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roots

[member="Trextan Voidstalker"]

It was a good thing that Trextan had gone straight to show off the shield; it allowed Choli to keep her mind off the fact that they were both now alone in a tiny little bedroom. Now the bag felt a bit awkward, and she quietly slung the strap down to set its heavyweight beside the bed.

"Huh, will you look at that..." there was no faking the piqued curiosity that shone in her eyes, a natural hue of gray-green coloring them as she took a step forward. Honestly, the Rogue was a little bit at odds with herself. Back on Polis Massa, she was able to focus entirely on his arm and how it functioned without even a second thought on close proximity or how she might have invaded his personal space. Now she was a bit too aware, moving only as close as she could study the semi-transparent disc.

"It's larger than I expected." Her fingers reaching out in an attempt to touch it -- only to stop. "... conventional shield technology or something different?' That is, would it burn her fingers if she actually did touch it?

[member="Choli Vyn"]

The shield snapped away before her fingers could brush it. "Yeah I wouldn't touch it," he said, looking a little worried. "It's a light shield, it disintegrates projectiles before they can pass through and deflects bolts."

He turned to his left and parked himself on the edge of the bed. Feeling self conscious he flexed the fingers of his prosthetic hand, reminded of how alien it had felt to him once.

The paddle beam emitter popped out from the back of his forearm and he held it out so she could take a closer look. His mind had turned from the arm. They were alone again. Nothing really urgent that needed to be done other than head back downstairs and eat before heading out. His gaze turned up to meet hers, no trace of humour in his eyes now.

Thump, thump, thump. Trextan nearly jumped. A series of annoyed whistles followed. Trextan didn't know that the quick chatter contained the phrases: 'forgot about me did you?' and 'you'd best still both have clothes on in there.'

Choli wasn't as startled as Trextan with the loud thumps. She'd been well used to Arr-Four antics well before this. However, it was the smattering of binary chatter that really brought the reaction out of her. Her entire face almost exploded in the wash of hot heat of embarrassment from the Pebbledrone cry. Good thing that Trextan had no clue on just what the little droid said.

Her flaming face gave a turn, moving towards the door to where she could open it to allow the droid to come in, muttering, "No we didn't and could you stop that!" In a quiet hiss.

So much for looking over Trextan's paddle beamer -- oh for Force sakes. Her heart was already hammering away, and Arr-Four only made the situation worse. At least in her mind. Okay, just. Well...

"Guess that ends show and tell." She managed to relay, offering an abashed shrug of a shoulder. "We should probably get what we need and eat." She could feel Trextan's gaze follow her, and oh if she could only read him better. That's what happened when one couldn't do a thing in regards with the mind. At times that was incredible, at others... not so much.

"But it looks like you have quite the nifty system in there. Your father certainly made sure to get you the best. "

[member="Choli Vyn"]

Trextan looked a little deflated. She had been paying attention to the arm, had seemed genuinely interesting. It had been nice. Just as she was, he was left wishing he could sense some of her thoughts and feelings. Normally the Force gave him a subtle read on almost anyone. It now happened to the extent that he often didn’t consciously realise it was happening. It was akin to reading an expression. Having it removed from any interaction with Choli was slightly disconcerting. If there was anyone in the Galaxy who he wished he could read better it was her.

"Yeah," he replied. "I think he does try and look after me." He said it without thinking. Later the words would play on his mind. He gave an amused shake of his head and smiled. Time to get on with things, even if he had wanted to spend a few minutes alone talking. It felt as if that hospital was a long time ago and events have moved so quickly, leaving the pair behind. He stood up and picked up his bag as he walked for the door. There was an obvious mental pause as he came to a halt at the threshold. He was trying to decide whether to ask a question.

"He keeps making comments and you keep blushing," he observed. "Is he being rude?" He asked. The corner of his mouth twotched upwards and he narrowed his eyes as he gave R4 a suspicious glare. The droid looked from one and to the other and wobbled on the spot, deciding whether to defend itself or beat a retreat.

Leave it to R4 to place choli right on the spot. Oh by the Twin Suns, he noticed! Well of course he saw! It felt as if her breath caught in her throat and her blood was bubbling up over her face. Intensely red at this point, Choli felt a bit overwhelmed and just completely out of her element.

ArrFour you are so going to get it!

"Umm," stammering for a second, the girl attempted to talk her way out of the situation. "He's just--"

Now ArrFour gave another tut as if to suggest he knew he was going to get away with it, which prompted Choli to cry out, "Oh would you just stop it before I adjust your humor setting to ten percent!"

If the Pebble drone could laugh while fleeing, he did the closest approximation, rolling along speedily away from Choli and past Trextan. Thump, thump, thump following as he went running down the stairs.

Mortified, Choli anxiously ran her fingers through her hair and gave a wary glance back at Trextan. He was still eying her, confused and possibly even more intrigued and amused by the situation. Reading him was hard when she was suddenly even more self-conscious.

"He just... likes to make snappy quips he knows to get to me." Rather embarrassing ones

[member="Choli Vyn"]

"Yes I think he's enjoying that I don't know what he's he's. Hilarious until you get your vocaliser taken away for being rude!” Trextan called over his shoulder.

Parp

Trextan turned back just as Choli's long hair cascaded down over her shoulder. Both of them were alternating between looking at each other and decidedly not at each other. Trextan swallowed. It felt as if his breath had caught in his throat. "I'd say I like him, but I guess I don't know how rude he's being about me." Before he lost his nerve he took a step closer. His hand came to rest lightly on her elbow as he leaned in and kissed her on the cheek.

He stepped back, top teeth against his bottom lip in apprehension. "I owe you a meal," he offered and turned to drop off his bag and head downstairs.

"He's not rude about --" Choli's voice waned when Trextan came forward and pressed a kiss on her cheek. It felt warm, lips slightly dry against her grimy cheek, but boy did it send tingling sensations down her body in an instant. Her belly flipped flopped again, breath catching in her throat.

What to say? This was the part that frustrated Choli. She was normally far better at simply having a conversation or banter. Giving a half quip here or there. Trextan managed to completely toss that out of the proverbial window, bringing the typically independent and confident girl to a frozen, shock still state of anxious nerves.

Wide eyes saw him turn to leave, and Choli ended up taking a step towards him, only to stop. What was she supposed to do? Say?

"Yeah," was all that came out, the girl's fingers curling into rub upon each other. Mentally, she yelled at herself.

Asmus would groan at the idiocy of both.

[member="Choli Vyn"]

"Yeah," he echoed. His eyes darted to the side. Why did I repeat that? That makes no sense, he thought to himself. Every time he felt a little more bold and made a tentative step he then had to spend time overanalyzing​ his behaviour.

He stopped and turned back to look at her. Then he looked down at the floor. Then he turned back and headed through the door and went to drop his bag off quickly. Was he supposed to ask if that had been okay to do? Or apologise?

It had been easier when the sith girl had just pushed him up against a wall. That...didn't seem appropriate here. Just take small steps, he told himself. You've been apart a long time just get used to being around each other again.

"You know, raiding that mess hall was the most fun I've had in years," he admitted as he stepped out of his room to head down the stairs. He smiled at her. Her cheek had tasted if the desert air even though they'd only been here a few minutes. Now he could smell the nausage cooking downstairs, reminding him he hadn't eaten in hours. That was a long time to go without food for Trextan. They had grown closer during those days in the hospital, even with the awkward moments that neither had dealt with very well. But that felt like a long time ago. It seemed as if time had opened a gap up and they were both taking little steps out onto the bridge to close it again. That, he decided, was probably okay.

So there they were, making an odd awkward little dance that went back and forth with barely caught glances and shuffling on their seats. R4 went rolling along, avoiding Choli's side to pop up by Trextan. He knew what was good for him, and while he was rather sassy, he was making up for lost time. He had missed the Rogue terribly and also been concerned for her safety. It was just his way of showing that he cared; and perhaps making that connection, even to this silly Jedi wannabe, might be good. At least Commander Janes had said so!

"I see what you are doing there, Arr-Four." Choli gave him a mock glare. Already the annoyance had left her, replaced by the anxious flutters in her belly. The Pebbledrone gave a little wiggle in place and gave a sharp tut, as if to say, ‘Who, me?’

By then, Kellen and the two older patrons were well on their way of reminiscing about Trextan's previous visits. While his mother had certainly not been too thrilled, by the sound of it, a toddler version of Trextan had.

"...oh remember when he..." Cholis brows gave a rise, barely catching the conversation. Guess it was Trextan's turn to be embarrassed.

"You might be the cheekiest droid I've met," Trextan said as the pebbledrone wobbled on the spot. It wasn't said with any venom. It was, however, said at a reasonable volume to try and keep the conversation behind him from Choli's ears. He thought he had heard the words blonde and curly.

"How long have you..."

"Oh I have a picture I think," Kellan said before there was the scrape of a wooden stool being pushed across stone floor. Trextan froze. As he opened his mouth again there was another interruption.

"Trextan!" Called a voice that was cracked with age. He turned in his seat towards the elderly couple. "Don't suppose you remember us do you? But we remember you when you were a little one!"

He turned his head to one side and narrowed his eyes. He shook his head. "No...sorry..."

"Oh that's okay it was a while ago and we barely spoke," the old lady said. Kellan was now walking back towards them with a datapad in his hand. Trextan looked in his direction with great trepidation.

[SIZE=9pt]To a degree, it was still fairly new for Choli to be around how others interacted with their blood kin. Out there on the ship, it was just Choli and the rest of the Rogues -- well, and of course, the rest of the ship crew as well. There werent many families, at least in the sense of younglings and parents. Or even grandparents.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Having Trextan's great uncle collect a datapad full of holopicturestaken at a young age was just surreal. Choli hadn't grown up in that. So when Kellen brought up the pad and began to show off the young, curly blonde haired toddler, her curiousity grew.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Poor Trex.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]"Oh, that is exactly how I remember him!" the elderly woman cried, pointing at the holopicture. By now, three heads were bent over the datapad to view the images.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]"... are they..." Choli began slowly, the corners of her mouth twitching... "Are they showing off holopictures of you as a youngling?"[/SIZE]

[member="Choli Vyn"]

Trextan has now hunched over his food. Finally it seemed to be his turn to blush. He let his hair fall forwards and kept his eyes down.

"Mhmm," he went though a mouthful with a shake of his head.

Apparently Kellan still had excellent hearing. Through the fronds of his hair Trextan saw the shadow of his Great Uncle pass him.

"Oh yes, Junta and Hillo couldn't believe how he'd changed. See..."

Trextan looked up, aghast, as Choli was shown a photo of him as a toddler. "...hadn't seen sand before. Couldn't keep him out of it. Thought he'd burn to a crisp, what with those blonde curls, but he was alright. Still some tatooine genes in there."

The old man turned towards Trextan and held the datapad out. He cringed at the sight of himself. How his hair had been so blonde and curly as a youngling he had no idea. In the photo he was wearing just a cloth towel. He was throwing sand all over himself just outside the shop.

Then it struck him. His mother, with her long smooth blonde hair and Jacen were stood behind him. They looked happy. His expression slowly change to a soft smile and he looked up at Choli and rolled his eyes.

"Could I get a copy of that please?"

The entire shift of emotions that went flickering across Trextan's angular face was rather fascinating. She didn't have to be a Lorrdian to catch the softening in his expression and the genuine desire for a copy of the holophoto. The only thing was that Choli didn't understand immediately why.

Mild confusion went dancing across her face, but Kellen's weathered visage softened in the small smile he shone back to his grand nephew.

"I think I can manage that." the elderly couple gave a smile, the woman giving a small nod and continuing on the conversation about Trextan's young.

"Not a bad holo picture," Choli finally added, taking a drink of her water.

Kellan had returned to the conversation with his old friends, leaving the pair to finish their meal. As he chewed he tried to work through the emotional kick he'd just taken.

"They were both smiling," he blurted out to Choli after finishing his mouthful, giving her the answer to a question she hadn't asked. "I don't have many of Jacen and mum together and smiling."

There was a weird turmoil of emotions going on, but he resolved that he felt good about seeing the photo. He offered Choli a smile before taking a sip of water. No one gulped it down here, he'd remembered.

With that, Trextan revealed a little bit more about his internal thought process and the emotional tug that had shifted an ambiance of embarrassment into one of whimsical, if abashed joy. Choli offered the teenager a small smile, expression softening.

"Seems like you were all having a good time." The reflection had been evident in the pose and the body language seen within the holopicture. Choli may not be a Lorrdian, but that rare connection had been captured on that day. She could see why Trextan would treasure it.

"You two probably want some more food?" Kellen's warm inquiry broke the haze of thoughts, drawing the attention once again from the pair over to the weathered, tanned visage of the Tatooine native.

"I am good, thank you. " Choli assured, offering a grateful half smile. A flash of hazel eyes went darting back to Trex, "We should get to shopping before high noon...it will be too hot to walk through the bazaar then."

"Aye, that it will," Kellen replied. He didn't comment further for a moment as he started to clear the table. The old man wasn't really sure what to say to Trextan about his mother. It's not as if they had been close and truthfully he had never really connected with her. Or even liked her. She had seemed a vain and shallow creature to him. Then again characters could change. Jacen had certainly changed from the boy he had been and if anything Trextan seemed a touch more introverted and sensible than his father had been. "Drop back in when you're done and we can relax out back for a bit. Got a veranda of sorts. More like some stretched out fabric and a few plants but it does stay cool."

"Thank you," Trextan replied. There was a hint of concern in his expression at the notion that it was going to become even hotter than this. He pulled his cowl back up and stood from the table. R4 rolled back a meter and waited patiently. Trextan noted the lack of comments, but perhaps the droid was waiting for an opportunity. Or just keen to keep itself on his good side. "What's on the list then?" Trextan asked as he turned for the door. The two burly men ignored him this time and laid out some credit chits on the table. One of them eyed the blaster at Trextan's hip out of the corner of his eye, but made no comment. It was a common sight, but the pair had expected Kellen's nephew to be a farmer or accountant or one of those other things city people did.

[SIZE=9pt]"The list?' Choli would echo, coming to her feet. She first swung down, bending to take her bag. After slinging it up and securing the straps, she went reaching for her plate and her empty glass. Manners and all. She might have been raised by Tusken Raiders, but even still, putting away her dirty dish was the least she could do. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]"We may be looking at a few days out there. Means we'll need to take some food and necessary supplies. I can hunt for what we need or scavenge out there, but it's always a good thing to be prepared. Nothing too extreme. Take too much, and we'll get someone following us just to steal our gear."[/SIZE]

[member="Choli Vyn"]

"It's fine," Kellan said with a grin. He already had Trextan's plate and reached for Choli's to stack it on top.

Trextan opened his mouth to ask about water. Following Choli's example and her clear warning about being followed his left that for later. They could take the speeder then to collect a barrel or two from the shuttle. "I brought some rations and bits. One of Jacen's men gave me a two-day pack."

"If you're after supplies there's a dug called Drockon in the centre market. Bright green canvas over his stall. He's a grumpy sort, but he'll do right by you if you mention my name," Kellan added before heading for the kitchens.

[SIZE=9pt]"Drockon?" A Dug? Not to say that Choli was prejudice, but Dugs had a rather harsh reputation. Then again, so did the Sand People. If there was anyone who knew how the sting of discrimination went, it was she. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]"We could stop by to see," The Rogue replied with a nod. Two-day rations were good, but best to see what they could get for Trextan himself. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]"Among others," it was good to shop around and haggle. Those hazel eyes went darting over the Trextan, "ready?"[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]While she waited for his reply, Choli took her muslin scarf and began to expertly wrap it over her head and around her neck, protection against the elements and the harsh sun. Slipping her goggles up, she set the dark tinted lenses over her eyes, protecting them from the bright suns- and also blocking the justicar from the one method of some how reading her.[/SIZE]

[member="Choli Vyn"]

Kellan hadn't thought through the fact that Drockon was a very old friend and it had taken nearly five years before the dug was civil to him, let alone friendly. That had been a long time ago now. He would likely offer the pair reasonable prices for quality used gear bas/ed on their link to Kellan. Eventually. The old dug probably an argumentative barter as much as a good sale.

"Yes, ish," Trextan replied as he struggled to get his own hood back up. How did she do that so easily? This time he made sure the prosthetic arm was mostly covered. He decided one of the first things he would get was a pair of gloves to keep it completely hidden; he didn't want to spend the entire market trip dealing with people trying to buy it.

The twin suns were making their way towards the horizon now. Sounds from the market drifted to them as soon as they were a few metres from the house. With the most oppressive heat passed the traders were returning. It wasn't the only sound that drifted in their direction.

“...Coruscant…” he heard the old patron say.

“Yes...Jacen…mother...” Kellan's voice.

“...espa...safe?”

“...soldier...found himself a local girl…”

“Oh good for him.” The last note came from the elderly woman. The higher pitch following them clearly. Trextan kept his eyes distinctly forwards as they headed into the market and left his uncle’s place behind. He couldn't quite be certain what the conversation had been, but he had a good idea. Why did old people spend so much time discussion what younger people were doing? Did they have nothing better to do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom