Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Roots + Refuge

Sun was beating down on the expansive fields as a herd of nerf lined up in their current pasture, watching as the two Dashiells worked on expanding a three-board fence to rotate the creatures in.

A pastoral, peaceful scene from afar. Neat, straight line of the fence posts as the boards were being erected and nailed in place. Thin, white clouds drifting overhead. A gentle breeze that rustled leaves and tall vegetation.

Up close, the reality was anything one of quiet, calm farm life.

“What is wrong with you? Why would you do this? Why? I swear Makai, if I see a baby in six months I’m going to be incredibly disappointed.”

The elder Dashiell was shirtless as they worked, stopping now to level at the younger. Disapproval was written all over his face, as if the news was the worst thing he could hear in his life.

“Seriously. What possessed you to do this right now? What's the big rush? Where are you two going? What’s this going to change now instead of waiting a few years?”

Makai looked annoyed. He had expected pushback but not quite to this level. Not from his own father. This is what one expected from a stranger, from an acquaintance who was concerned about implications, from a nosy Aunt.

Not from someone who was supposed to have his back.

Yet he was going to have to be the cool, calm, and collected one in this situation. Oh, he would be arguing back, just with more reason and logic.

“For one, and the reason a good number of people get married, is because we love one another.”

There was a small scoff and Makai chose to ignore it. Instead he nailed in another few boards on his section of the fence. Due to the argument, he had rigged together a system of garden implements and tools in order to hold the board as he worked ; his father was too heated to be bothered to assist at every section.

“Wanting to spend the rest of our lives together. To be committed. We feel ready. It's the natural step.There’s no one else I want.”

Judah had moved onto his own section, checking to see if the board he was holding up was level. He watched the small bubble move as he shifted the material in place.

“If there’s no one else you want then waiting a couple of years to get married should be no issue. You have the rest of your lives, as you say. You’re young. No rush, right?”

Makai finished his own fence section before wanting to answer. A good question, and he respected at least this one had some thought behind.

“We could wait a few years, yes. I’m ready to make her my wife and have our own family. Yes, we’re young, so are a lot of other people who make it. Yes, we will be having children sooner than later.”

The half-Galan used his tank top to wipe the sweat off his face before picking up another board.

“As for being young, I certainly don’t feel like it. I’ve had a lot of weight on my shoulders since what? Not even a pre-teen… I've felt like a grown man since before I was ten.”

Makai looked back over his shoulder at his father, standing there, clearly mulling over having something else to say. The half-Galan was growing tired of the conversation. He wasn't looking for nor waiting for approval.

“I have the love that everyone seeks but few truly find. When I look at her, I see home. Ellie is it. No amount of arguing or being upset about the situation is going to stop anything or change how I feel.”

If Myra caught Danger out here under this tree, with a pair of macrobinoculars, sipping lemonade and munching on cookies while observing the two men building the fence in the distance, she'd either scold Danger or join her in spying on what was happening between Makai Dashiell Makai Dashiell and Judah Dashiell Judah Dashiell .

Maybe both.

Danger sat under a large chestnut tree, one of many on the orchard side of the farm that overlooked the vast fields and pastures. By all accounts, unless someone was specifically looking, odds were no one was going to catch the fiery redhead sitting on a picnic blanket watching the angry postures of Judah flex and form. At the same time, Makai seemed to simmer in his tension slowly.

There was no denying Judah was boiling hot again. It shone in every gesture, the rapid rake of his hand through his touseled curls, and from how he seemed to be conveying his words to Makai.

"Mmmm... betcha you told him that you proposed hmm?" that had to be what got Judah all fired up. Now the question was, how was this going to turn out?

Was Judah going to stay, or was he gonna end up walking off in a huff? All in all, from the conversation Danger had with Makai, it was evident that the younger Dashiell was determined to marry Myra. Her daughter was no different. A discussion with her the next day had been, well, evident that the girl would elope with Makai if she had a chance.

Then again, Myra had warned them. Told them free and clear. She was gonna marry Makai Dashiell one day.

Judah was a mixture of exasperated, confused, and ready to wash his hands of the entire conversation and walk away. Why his son suddenly acted like his love life was a three-alarm fire that only marriage could contain was beyond him.

Unlike when Danger had given the go-ahead, the elder Dashiell thought it all too soon. A disappointing turn of events ; Judah believed he was witnessing the beginning of the end.

“You haven’t even been back together a year.”

The sound of an automatic nailer as Makai finished his section before answering. Determined to finish the project today on his own if he had to.

“This is correct.”

“And yet here you are, ready to jump into marriage headfirst.”

“Yep” The younger Dashiell moved to grab another board. “When you know, you know.”

Judah shook his head, sweaty shaggy hair following the motion. Instead of standing, he grabbed his own fence board, realizing standing still may not be helping his own simmering anger.

“That’s not very reassuring. ‘When you know,you know’ is reserved for things like paint colors or picking out a new vessel.”

This time, Makai had to stop to answer, looking completely confused. Brows furrowed together, as if to say paint colors, really?

“We’ve known one another for what…seven or eight years. Been through a lot ; remember when she nearly died? When I packed my bag and told you I was going to spend every single moment with her cause I thought I wouldn’t have eight days let alone eight years. Then we waste six long years. After that I stupidly waste so much time. Time I never thought we’d get. So excuse me for not wanting to miss another moment together.”

The sound of nailing for a moment before Judah decided to answer.

“Makai, you can’t use because she almost died as an excuse to jump into a lifelong commitment.”

The half-Galan gripped his board tight, tempted to smack the wood into the back of his fathers head. He was doing his best to be the level headed one, the patient one. Blowing up like he wanted to in this moment would prove his fathers point ; he wasn’t grown enough.

“You implied clarification. I gave it.” Still upset, Makai wisely tried to push the subject away from himself. “So how long did you know Mom then?”

“We’re not talking about me.”

“Oh, you suddenly have no advice? No stories to tell? Here I thought you could impart some amazing wisdom in this moment.”

Judah didn’t miss the sarcastic tone. Another board nailed into position.

“If you remember, she was my boss, the Captain. We knew one another quite well, nature of the squadron. Lots of high-pressure situations.”

Makai spread his arms wide as if to say, how is it different? There was a complete loss as if he was trying to figure this one out.

“Okay…fine. Then after some time you what, get married and then I’m born…” The younger Dashiell trailed off, making connections. “...then I’m born…”

Iced azure eyes widened in shock, mainly at himself for not making the connection sooner. It wasn’t something he thought of ; his parents wedding date. He had seen the holos naturally, but the holos could be angled in such a way….

“....you had a shot-gun wedding. I was technically at your wedding….”

For Makai, some things were beginning to become abundantly clear now. It explained why his parents had such a rocky relationship then and now. Their hand had been forced, no doubt by each set of his grandparents.

Slight in frame for her age, the dark haired girl had to gingerly climb up a few branches to get a better view of the action. Macro binoculars were pressed to bright blue eyes, taking in the argument in the open field down the hill below. Persie wasn't concerned about being caught. Spring was in full swing and the budding leaves and flowers provided enough of a baffle for her form.

Now if only the blasted honeybees would find somewhere else to go. A city girl, being on the Farm, put her out of her element.

Nothing had gone according to her plan. Mama was dead and her Daddy never stayed in one place long enough to hang his hat. Most famous Dashiell had been Judah and she had devised a plan to corner the man in giving her credits in order to keep quiet that she was an illegitimate child.

Only that backfired, stating that a father took care of his children ; and then genetic testing proved she was indeed a Dashiell,just not his daughter. Now, as far as she knew, the man had been trying to find her Daddy. Her Mama tried that for ten years, best of luck.

‘Sides, she didn't want to be with that no good scoundrel known as her Daddy, she'd be better off in the streets alone.

As for Judah, Persie wasn't so sure about him as well. Seemed to have a stick shoved far up his backside, arguing with his son on the near constant lately. If this is how he treated his own boy, what would happen to her? Persie could see boarding school at best in her future if he kept this attitude up.

Then there was his son. A pretty face, a little dense otherwise. He seemed easy-going enough, as evidenced by his current efforts in teaching her grav-golf, repeating himself multiple times without frustration.

My-rah was an interesting one. The young girl wasn’t sure if she should tell the other that she was too good for her distant cousin, that she could do better than Makky. Either way, she was nice enough, helping Persie fix her hair for the day or involving her in small activities with Rue and Miss Ar-Sinew.

Rue was different. A weird combination of not caring about getting dirty, feminine, and yet she spent an entire night on the couch watching grav-ball with Makky, writing down stats. Persie hadn’t figured her out yet.

Miss Ar-sinew…another one Persie hadn’t figured out. What was the deal with her and Judah? So far, the redhead had treated her with kindness and grace, but also some sense of sadness. Makky said she had just lost her husband ; was that why she was being too nice and lettin’ everyone stay at her home.

Maco binoculars lowered and Persie balanced them on her leg. She was wearing a small cross-body satchel containing cookies her, Rue, and My-Rah had made. Persie was supposed to be bringing three down to Makky per My-rahs instructions.

She wasn’t getting close to that argument.

Instead, she started to eat one of the cookies intended for the half-Galan.

Last edited:
With the sun beating down on the Dashiell men, and sweat starting to glisten, it wasn't just the weather that was heating up. Danger watched as Makai stretched his arms wide, a silent challenge hanging in the air as he faced off against Judah. The tension crackled like dry leaves in the summer heat, and Danger couldn't help but wonder what was brewing between them.

Judah, his chest bare and glistening with sweat, worked furiously, each strike of the nail gun punctuating the simmering anger that radiated from him. Makai, on the other hand, seemed to be trying to keep a lid on his emotions, a stark contrast to Judah's palpable fury. It was like watching a storm roll in, with Makai playing the role of the calm before the tempest.

Despite the temptation of the visual spectacle before her, Danger knew she needed to focus on the bigger picture. The tension between father and son was escalating, and she couldn't shake the feeling of helplessness that washed over her. With a heavy sigh, she lowered her macrobinoculars, running a hand through her disheveled hair.

At times like these, there was little she could do but wait and watch. With a resigned shrug, Danger reached for the glass of wine she had brought along, figuring she might as well make the most of the situation.

“Shot gun wedding is a little harsh son. No one had a blaster at my back.”

Makai sighed, of course he would have a come back of the common slang referred to when a woman was pregnant and getting married quickly.

“Yet if she wasn’t pregnant, then you had absolutely no intentions of marrying her. As in, wasn’t on your radar.”

If his math was correct, it seemed that there was a bit of dragging of his feet to begin with. Or perhaps his mother didn’t want to marry? Makai couldn’t be sure ; he was only going to get one side of this story. Everything else he would have to piece together or merely assume.

Judah was floundering at the question. It was evident the elder Dashiell didn’t know how to answer. He reached up to rub the back of his neck.

“Uh…I mean….I’m sure eventually we might have gotten there. Maybe after a few years.”

“A few years.” Deadpan look overtook his expression.

“Yes, in order to be sure. Marriage is a commitment Makai.”

There were times he couldn’t believe his ears. This was one of them. Of course, situations could easily push life in one direction or another. If he had found himself in a similar position, it would have been easy to say the inpending arrival of a child just advanced the timeline.

Not that he was uncertain.After all,they had gotten to know one another better over the years.

“Get to know each other better.” Deadpan, monotone now. “You didn’t have a problem taking her clothes off and diving right in. Seems you knew each other pretty well.”

“Don’t be crude, you know what I mean.”

“No, actually, I do not. I already knew I wanted to marry Ellie before diving in. Seems like getting to know her then getting to know one another was the capstone, not the rest stop on the journey.”

Judah made a face, not needing to know the intimate details of his sons love life.

“So because you weren't sure about Mom, you think I need to wait years to be sure. Just in case what, something changes our minds or…?”

Last edited:
“Yes.”

“Not knowing one another for a majority of our lives does not count? We should wait an arbitrary amount of years because of some imaginary event or timeline that may or may not happen.”

“Yes, exactly.”

At this point, the mental gymnastics were exhausting. Makai could understand the need to be sure, there were many implications for matrimony. The friendship of both families, businesses and business contacts, current joint contracts, potential children and a broken home. It wasn’t something himself or Ellie had taken lightly.

Makai placed his nailer down, leaned his fence board against the completed section. He had grown irritated of this thought process, from the pushback since his announcement.

“You’re not making a lick of sense. You know what Dad, I’m sorry. I’m sorry you’ve got such a warped sense of relationships. I’m sorry you never took the time to figure our your issues in your personal life.I suppose this makes some sense though, hindsight and all.”

“You don’t have a clue what you’re talking about.”

“I don’t? Well, let me just spitball then, indulge me.” Makai paused for only the briefest of seconds. “It explains why you never sealed the deal with Danger, don’t act like you don’t stare at her like some lovestruck schoolboy. Then we’ve got Azula, the minute things seemed to be going half-way well and she weasels her way into more of your personal circle, she’s gone. I haven’t seen you look at anyone else, but considering you’re quite alone in life, I imagine anyone else I don’t know about also met a similar fate when they got to close.”

It was obvious Makai had hit close to the mark. Cheeks flushed red in anger and oceanic eyes darkened. Jaw was tense, expression full of malice as he replied.

“You have no clue Makai. No clue of what you’re even attempting to speak on. It would be wise to quit while you’re ahead.”

“I think we are too far gone for that. You should have quit when you were ahead, projecting your issues onto my own relationship.”

“Projecting? All because I said you were far too young to be married.”

“It was the argument surrounding it. I'm aware of my age but I refuse to become a bitter, resentful, lonely middle aged man who can't even think straight anymore. I'll take the chance, get married, and make her mine before someone else takes my opportunity due to inaction. A woman is only going to wait so long for commitment.”

Now the elder Dashiell was fuming. The type of anger that burned red hot.

“I will not be berated by a child who thinks he's old enough to know how the universe works. You know what? Hope it works out for you. Don't come to me in ten years with your tail between your legs, stating I was right all along.”

With that, Judah left his nailer and marched off right down the hard packed path back towards the massive home.

Makai didn't bother to stop him, nor did he even look back. The words didn't sting, the younger Dashiell knew he hit a bullseye. One his father didn't think existed.

“Whelp….that went about according to plan.”

Nailer was picked back up, board in the other hand. At least now he could perhaps work in a bit more relative peace.

"Well, reckon things went to frak all," Danger muttered under her breath, her southern drawl carried by the wind, just audible enough for the tiny Dashiell perched up in the trees to catch.

She released a heavy sigh of weariness, lowering her macrobinoculars to observe Judah storming off toward the house. The sunlight danced on his sweaty skin, and his tousled hair swayed like a wild flag in the breeze, the man raking his calloused, tanned hand through it as if it were the only thing tethering him to reality.

He was seething, no doubt about it. It was the angriest she had seen him since his outburst on Persephone regarding Myra and her potential suitors.

"Why you so pissed over a weddin' there?" She shook her head, perplexed. Nothing seemed to make sense anymore, especially with the old Salvager lately. Part of her wanted to approach him, but she knew it would only escalate into an argument. Judah had to work through this on his own.

Living together, even temporarily due to Persie and Judah's recovery, should have made it hard to avoid each other. But Judah had mastered the art of avoidance like a champion.

"Reckon dinner is goin' to be quite the spectacle."
Danger murmured to herself, especially with how Myra was keen to pick up on the slightest disturbance from Judah.

"Good luck hidin' from her," she mused, giving a harrumph. If Judah wasn't keen on Danger frettin over him, one can only imagine just how Myra took to doing the same and how the elder Dashiell would take it.

"Yous saw the whole thing too?"

Persephone had finished her cookie in time to watch the final portion of the fight through her macrobioniculars. It wasn't sitting well with her, anxiety creeping up into her stomach. The young girl made a mental reminder to walk into the village soon and take note of what vessels took off on schedule and when.

Survival instincts were starting to kick in. She didn't want to be yelled at like Makky. The dark haired girl was well aware no Dashiell had stepped up to claim her as kin ; no one had even mentioned seeing her before this.

Probably 'cause her Daddy was a no good rotten scoundrel who was the one of the black sheep of the large Dashiell clan. If he ain't been around them they didn't know about her none either.

Persie carefully navigated herself along the edge of the blanket laid out, not stepping on the fabric as she got closer to the edge of the hill. Binoculars were raised once more. It was just Makky working on the fence now, with no sight of Judah coming back. Persephone had seen him storm off but suspected he would be back to say more.

She was wrong on that front.

Macro bioniculars lowered once again, mouth in a thin line as she thought. Head turned back towards the redheaded matron, debating to ask her opinion. Miss Ar-sin-new had been kind so far, there was no reason to think she would navigate a person in the wrong direction. Persie could already tell that was in her nature.

"Miss Ar-sin-new?"

A pause.

"D'you think Makky would be able to drop me off somewheres? I don't wanna get yelled at like him. I can stay with one of Mama's friends."

Not ideal. Mama's friends were annoying ; both the men and women, in and out at all hours. Yet they always made sure she had food and never threatened to kick her out, which maybe is all she can ask for, being an orphan an' all.

To say that Danger was startled at hearing Persie's quiet, contemplative voice was putting it lightly. The Queen of Trade gave a start, holding on to the stem of her glass tightly in her grasp with one hand while the other brought the macrobinculaors to her generous chest as she gave a gasp.

"Oh, the void, have mercy, Persie, you gave me a fright!" Danger drawled out in relief that it was the youngest Dashiell who discovered her and not Judah or Myra. The former would have started a wretched fight and the latter would have had an endless mass of questions and then be determined to try and fix things. While the same blood may not flow through Danger's and Myra's veins, they had the same henning tendencies that right now, Danger knew, would only make Judah feel shoved further into a corner. The last thing they needed was Judah unconsciously lashing out at the tenderhearted heiress.

Not only for Myra's sake but for Judah's own. Danger wasn't sure Judah's guilt could survive it.

"Well, reckon anyone with a good eye could catch or hear them hollerin'" granted the macro binoculars helped. With a bit of a flustered flush, the woman put the macrobinoculars aside under a napkin. However, her expression took on one of concerned consternation at Persie's questions.

"Oh, honey, Judah ain't gonna yell at you like that." Danger quickly tried to assure the young girl, reaching out with her hand to encourage her to sit down next to her.

"Judah's just has his feathers ruffled cause Makai is all grown now and has differing opinions -- and a stick up his arse if we are bein' honest." she muttered under her breath that last bit, but then focused on Persie again, "You get to stay right here with us and Rue. Or do you not like it?"

"Didn't mean to scare yous"

Confirmation enough that the redhead had been just as engrossed in the fight as she had been. Secret was safe with her after all, Persie wasn't going to betray the woman by blabbing to everyone she had been peering in as well. Although Miss Ar-sin-new mentioned anyone could hear, one had to know something was about to happen ; as evidenced by the wine and picnic blanket sprawled out on the green grass.

Not wanting to track dirt onto the blanket, Persie carefully sat down, crossing her legs to sit and face the Trade Queen. Dress was smoothed out and she took the time to put everything back into place. It was growing clear that given the option Persie was an absolute clean-freak who had to had everything in just the perfect position. Wrinkles on her dress? Dirty hands? A smudge on her face? All unacceptable. Persephone strived to look completely put together at all times ; even before coming into the care of Judah.

"Differin' opinions on gettin' hitched?Whys he'd have a stick up his ass 'bout that?"
Persie looked skeptical. She could read a bit of lips and couldn't make out all the words she had placed enough together that it had something to do with Makky and My-rah. Persie hadn't figured out all the pieces, she could only pick out every fourth or fifth word or so. Just enough to have a few details.

"No, its fine. Thank yous for havin' me."

A bit of a lie, but Mama said sometimes lyin' was alright when it wasn't going to hurt someone. In this case, no one was getting hurt. Unsure of her position in the entire dynamic, Persie decided it was best to just be cautious at all times and observe. Payin' attention was important, there was a lot to learn by keepin' her mouth shut and eyes open. Mama taught her that too.

"It's okay, a good startle gets the blood pumpin'" Danger did her best to smooth over the scare, giving Persie a soft smile. Humor lit her gaze as she watched the young Dashiell girl do her best to carefully sit herself down without messing anything astray or getting herself dirty. Compared to Makai and Judah, Persie was so clean it was a wonder she was a Dashiell at all. Then again, there was no hiding those big blue eyes, dark wavy hair, and the sort of pretty that would make any girl envious.

A Dashiell through and through.

"Oh.. well.." in regards to Judah and the stick up his ass. No sense in denying it. "Let's just say Judah had a bad experience with Makai's mama and so he's still hurtin' over her and what happened. Reckon he doesn't want the same to happen for Makai." Danger took a sip of her wine, musing on that.

"The type of hurt that an animal gets and tries its best to hide in its den and lick away the hurt, but only is makin' it worse." turning towards Persie, Danger caught sight of a leaf in her hair on the back of her head. With a soft gesture, she gently plucked it away, only unable to help herself to continue and give the young girl a cafune, enjoying the feel of her soft hair.

"You're a good liar, give you that -- but you can't hide much from me." she told her, the decades of dealing with folk in the business world allowing her to figure out tells. While Persie was good - hella good - she wasn't trained to bullshit to the level Danger needed to get past her.

"Very few folk can."

"Hmn, that so? Did he cross her? Mama says ain't wise to scorn a woman, she'll make your life a livin' hell."

Persephone reflected on what she had seen so far during her time with her new charge and family dynamics. Judah was tight lipped about anything, she ain't seen no woman nor heard about one, so maybe he did scorn a woman. Makai's Mama that was. Persie ain't seen no sign of a wife around, not even a holo.

As for Makky.

"I ain't suspectin' Makky to get hurt ; you ever see how My-rah looks at him? That sickly sweet look. Ain't no woman lookin' like that plannin' on going nowheres anytime soon."

Just a mild observation so far of the pair. Persephone thought My-rah was obsessed with her cousin and he with her. Don't let them get to lookin' at one another, Persie had to all but get in between them in order to ask a question the other day. Now, Persie thought My-rah could do better, maybe that pretty blonde that came to the funeral, but that wasn't her place to say as a young girl.

"Liar? Miss Ar-sin-new thats a bold claim to be makin' about me self."

Persie admired the way Miss Ar-sin-new could easily weave herself in and out of conversation, manipulating what she wanted out of the situation. The young Dashiell girl was already taking mental notes, looking up to the redhead as future inspiration. Besides her Mama, Persie hadn't met someone so clear cut and dry, who could sweet talk others to her will.

Yet Danger wasn't playing with no amateur.

Danger gave a throaty chuckle, amused by Persie's antics. She had a unique sass that reminded Danger of her younger self, more so than Rue; odd, considering the latter was a clone of herself.

"Aye, well... Myra's been lookin' at Makai that way for quite some time. Startin' about your age. It just took Makai a few years before he recognized it for what it was. That's why he's doin' the same twitterpated expressions back at her. Makin' up for lost time." Danger chuckled, moving to set her glass of wine down to grab a plate of fruit. She offered them to Persie to eat.

"Oh I'm all about makin' bold claims. Makes things interestin'," Danger replied with a conspiratory wink, full generous curves shaking in mild amusement.

"So, reckon you've a plan already a tinkerin' in your mind now right?" Calling Persie out with Danger's genuine and curious twang.

Dashiell NPC Dashiell NPC

"Thank yous."

Persie picked up a piece of shuura fruit. Since arriving at the Farm fresh fruit and vegetables were an interesting thing to have.The young girl was used to canned or freeze dried, making fresh quite the rare treat for her growing up. Makky had put a heaping helping of berries on her pancakes and Persie had carefully eaten each one. Even now, tiny little nibbles were being taken out of the piece, as if she wasn't going to get any more.

Eyes squinted in the sun, observing her cousin continue to work on the fence, the sound of the automatic nailer echoing through the fields. It seemed he had picked up a good rhythm on his own, the steady sound punctuating he silence that was stretching between herself and Miss Ar-sin-new. Persie didn't know what to say. The truth?

"Course I do. Mama said don't get caught with your drawers 'round your ankles. If Makky won't help me I have my own ways of doin' things."

Danger Arceneau Danger Arceneau

Danger couldn’t help her chuckle. Her own mama had a version of that saying but odds were if she told them to Persie, Judah Dashiell Judah Dashiell would get even more livid regarding telling a young girl about not wearing holey underwear.

“Well, if you want to, you can have your back up plans,” no sense in trying to convince her otherwise. However, Danger wanted to at least make it clear.

“But your are more than welcome to stay here. I’ve the space and I reckon you and Rue were enjoyin each others company. Just some food for thought before you go to plan b or c,”

" Suppose I can stay for a little bit. I dunno how long yous going to like having me around though."

Moreso concerned about how long Judah would want to keep her around. While this was Miss Ar-cen-news home, Persephone was still worried the elder Dashiell would up and decide it was high time for her to leave. When that happened she had to be ready ; like keepin' all the fancy clothes that she had picked out clean and folded, ready to be put into a sachel.

Persie gently picked up another piece of fruit, herself and Miss Ar-sin-new overlooking the fields on the Farm.

Dinner had been tense. Judah had been missing all day but popped up for the meal, strangely silent and offering simple replies to questions or the conversation at hand. Makai did his best to seem upbeat and continue his life normally, as if nothing was wrong. There had been no reason to behave otherwise ; Persephone and the Arceneau women didn’t need to be privy to the argument. In fact, after the conversation during the fence build, Makai hoped that his father had said what he needed to say and left it at that.

After things had been cleaned and put away, the girls drifted off towards the village to get some ice cream. It gave Makai the perfect opportunity to handle getting the engagement ring together. There was a jeweler on Empress Teta, Ivarone’s, that he had visited before Life Day. The quality was excellent and Makai appreciated the fact all work was done on location, a true craftsman with exacting standards.

Hiding out in the spare office he had been using for his own use while on the Farm, Makai was deeply engrossed in the Holocall with Ivarone himself, the Bothan who owned and operated the establishment. The half-Galan was pacing around on the call, his new journal in hand with notes and a small drawing of what he had envisioned.

“....So the seafah jewel in the center, oval cut, with two Tetan diamonds accenting the side. A thin platinum band….is that even wide enough for engraving?”

“I can do delicate work, Mister Dashiell, rest assured. It will be small with a ring of this size but I believe it can work. It would be wiser to keep it short.”

“I figured as much. I can provide a few inscriptions of what might work the best and label them in terms of priority.”

Makai had a few ideas in mind, going to let the jeweler be the judge once the ring was finally made.

“I can get the seafah jewels quickly. Would it be prudent to have my protocol droid bring several?”

The Bothan nodded, hand stroking his goatee as he thought. The older Bothan was calm as he watched the man pace on screen, this was typical when customers were engrossed in making a decision.

“Several would be more than ideal. I will cut and polish each, allowing you to choose the best one. Settings only take roughly an hour in-shop, when you come to visit Mister Mer’taal it can easily be completed.”

“So, we are talking weeks instead of months? We've put a bid on several projects in the Centrality region and I'd like to pick it up before we get so engrossed in that project.”

While not set in stone, Makai had heard nothing but positive information regarding Centrality thus far. It was looking promising that Aina Holdings, Salacia Consolidated, and Arceneau Trade Company would all be awarded several of the projects.

“You will be my top priority Sir. I will begin it's construction tomorrow.”

“Excellent. After this holocall I will send my drawings and notes. If you have to contact me, send a text.. I don't want her seeing it beforehand.”

A slight pause.

“Do you think she will like it? Uh, I'm not going into too odd of a direction with the center stone?..”

“Not at all, Mister Dashiell. With your idea of adding crushed seafah jewels to your wedding band I think it will complement nicely. Once you present it to her, I feel we will need to move on the wedding band for her quickly.”

“Of course. It might be a trip where we both stop by, see if she has any ideas to complement the engagement ring.”

“I look forward to meeting her. We will be in touch Mister Dashiell.Oh, and congratulations.”

“Take care and thank you.”

Ending the call, he was about to sit at the expansive desk and upload his designs into his datapad to send along to the jeweler. Turning around, there was an all too familiar sight waiting
just inside the office : Judah Dashiell.

Having heard most of the exchange, Judah perked an eyebrow. The door had been open, no need to close it when Makai thought he had been alone on the floor that contained an expanse of library and office space. The elder Dashiell had been moving through towards a lounge to smoke a cigarra when he had stopped to listen.

“Really Makai? You weren’t even prepared to propose? What is going on here? Did you do this on some type of whim?”

A shake of shaggy head. He didn’t know what had gotten into his son. Judah would have thought that he taught his son better ; to think these things through. It was becoming evident to him that perhaps his son had just asked without much thought.

“No, no whim. While it was unexpected, I’ve been thinking about this since Palanhi, since she came to visit me there.”

“You’re telling me you’ve been thinking about marriage since your first date?”

“Yes. Technically our first official date….either way, I knew the next morning she was going to be my wife. I even tried to convince her to move in with me…”

Eyebrow raised, expression growing to one of annoyance. Judah couldn’t fathom what had gotten into his son. Did his sense go out the window the moment Myra had entered back into his life? From his end, things seemed hurried and brash, quickly moving without regard to the future.

“The next morning? Why was she with you the next morning? Makai, I’m disappointed, I would expect you to be more of a gentleman.”

“I didn’t….we didn’t…It’s nothing what you are thinking. At all. Don’t assume what you don’t know.”

“Enlighten me then.”

“No.” A slight pause. “What happens between us stays between just us. That will never change. Go ahead and think what you like.”

Judah pinched the space between his brows. He was just growing more irritated with this conversation. It seemed circular. Neither man wanted to budge in their position. Makai was dead set on moving forward.

“If you had been thinking about this for months on end, why are you just now worried about a ring?”

“I wanted to design some elements myself, I’ve been researching gemstones that will match a vision I have. A woman of her caliber doesn’t deserve just any ring from the case. It takes a bit of time in between my other duties to work on this…get the rights to mine the seafah jewels..figure out what I want in the inscription…”

Makai held up the journal, showing most of his notes were in the beginning parts of it, indicating he had been hard at work since Life Day in regards to a ring and getting everything together to finally head to the jeweler.

“Really Makai? You want to hand mine the jewels yourself? You’re going to make her wait just so you can galavant off and do it yourself? I’m positive there is a jeweler out there with what you’re looking for.”

Journal was tossed onto the desk, Makai coming around to get closer to the elder Dashiell. Words were like a match to waiting fuel, igniting without hesitation, rolling out swiftly.

“Is there nothing you enjoy anymore? What the fuck is your problem? You don’t have to agree with me, at all. You can disapprove. Yet I expected you of all people to have my back. You can support someone and not agree, I know its a wild concept but I just did the same thing while you were having your little fling with Azula.”

A shake of his head. Makai wasn’t giving him any time to speak.

“This is happening. I am getting married this summer. You can either shut up and support me or just leave. At this point, don’t even bother. I don’t need this.”

Shocked, Judah was stunned for a moment. Face flaming red, the elder Dashiell turned and left the office. By the time Danger and the girls returned from the Farm, Judah was long gone, leaving only a note for Makai that he was to be in charge, that he could handle it all until he returned. If he returned.

It was well into the night, after the girls and Danger went to bed, that Myra let herself into Makai's room. In one hand, she carried a bottle of wine, while the other held two delicate wine glasses, their slender stems gleaming in the dim light.

Upon entering, she found Makai engrossed in his work, his brow furrowed in concentration as he pored over his datascreen. He had a disheveled appearance and a look of consternation on his face. His dark hair was tousled and mused as if he had been continuously raking his fingers through his hair for the past hour. It fell in a messy mop over his brow with no rhyme or reason. While it reminded her of when they were kids, the line of tension on his back and the way he flexed his jaw told another story.

"Hey," she murmured softly, her voice a gentle melody in the stillness of the room. Drawing closer, she offered a sympathetic smile, her grey eyes reflecting her concern.

"How about a wine break for a moment?" she suggested, placing the bottle and glasses on the nearby table. Her gaze flickered briefly to the datascreen, noting the flurry of Salacia emails and project management queries that had captured Makai's attention. Normally not an issue, but he'd been focusing on establishing Aina Holdings more recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom