Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech RMR-H20 Nephthys Hyperspace Inhibitor Projector

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxresdefault_2.gif

N E P H T H Y S

latest

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: To create a hyperspace inhibitor projector for future submissions.
  • Image Source: x
  • Canon Link: N/A
  • Permissions: N/A
  • Primary Source: N/A
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • When paired with multiple projectors, creates a tunnel through hyperspace.
  • Hyperspace 'tunnel' created by groups of projectors can be directed manually.
  • The Critalizer field can force vessels to slow velocities to sublight impulse speeds when activated.
  • Exterior protected by impervium plating and liquid-aenite coating.
STRENGTHS
  • Hyperlane Charting: The Nepththys in essence creates a tunnel through hyperspace designed to not be left by a ship at any point, making it easy to direct a ship down a certain lane or to construct a hyperlane.
  • Critalizer Field: When activated, the field 'ends' the tunnel and subsequently has the capability to force vessels traveling through to slow down traveling velocities to sublight impulse speeds, which would result in the ships to reverting to hyperspace.
WEAKNESSES
  • Many Needed: Multiple projectors are needed to utilize the inhibitor technology properly, which amounts to clumps of projectors in a single spot.
  • Multi-Stop: When the critalizer field is utilized, vessels traveling through the tunnel generally are slowed and revert wherever the critalizer field is, given that they are unable to break out of the field or tunnel altogether, meaning that utilizing the field for routes along hyperlanes with multiple stops would make travel much slower.
DESCRIPTION
The RMR-H20 Nephthys Hyperspace Inhibitor Projector is Roble Manufacturing's first model of hyperspace technology that goes beyond the hyperdrive. Designed to be able to make hyperspace travel safer, more reliable, and enable governments and corporations to forge new routes through hyperspace. Built to contribute towards the Frontier Run hyperlane project, an initiative spearheaded by Roble Manufacturing and the Kemotat of Ra'Katha, the Nephthys is the next step in hyperlane charting technology galaxy-wide.

For most of modern galactic history, there have been two conventional methods of charting hyperlanes -- the inexpensive and tedious mapping out of a hyperlane jump-by-jump, often with hyperspace beacons, and the much more expensive but quicker method of using S-Thread Booster technology. Similar to its cousin, the S-Thread Booster, the Nephthys also creates a man-made secure pathway through hyperspace. An appropriate analogy to this would be an enclosed tunnel; the inhibitor creates a tunnel through hyperspace that is designed to force ship traveling along the path through that tunnel.

Entering the tunnel created by the Nephthys is easy, and is done by two primary methods; either there will be a specific entrance point, via a station or other object, or alternatively a hyperspace jump into or along a route will automatically direct a ship into the tunnel created by the Nephthys. Although entrance stations and the like exist, there is no true single waypoint into a tunnel created by the Nephthys, and it is accepted that a jump into hyperspace anywhere in the tunnel's relativistic real-space vicinity (which is in actually hundreds of kilometers in diameter, although it depends on the density and manual settings of the projector).

In application, multiple projectors in clusters around waypoints of a route are needed to achieve this. While in theory, the Nephthys creates an immutable hyperspace tunnel, in practice this is not quite the case. Essentially, the denser the concentration of generators is along a route, the harder it will be for a ship to break out of the tunnel -- this also applies to the length of the route, shorter system-wide jumps being more 'secure' while longer routes are easier for a ship to break out of. Another factor in the strength of the tunnel is the size of the ship in question, as well as the quality of the hyperdrive. Ships with larger masses and lower-grade hyperdrive are able to break out of the tunnel more easily.

Breaking out of the tunnel is tricky and very dangerous, especially with ships with the less powerful hyperdrive. Doing so would put the same amount of strain on a vessel and its hyperdrive synonymous to being pulled out of hyperspace via an interdiction field, or for an object to be pulled into realspace compulsorily. Another problem with attempting to 'break free' of the tunnel is the inability to calculate precisely where a ship will revert to in realspace, adding the real danger of reverting next to a star or black hole. Yet, especially with battlecruiser-sized vessels equipped with fast, powerful drives, it is a possible maneuver to pull off.

Instead of 'breaking' out of the tunnel, which can put unnecessary strain on a ship, instead, the Nephthys is able to create a critalizer field that is designed to slow vessels within it to sublight impulse speeds, potentially inhibiting maneuverability along with a predetermined set of parameters, which would thereby give the Nephthys the capability to impose direction as well as speed. This allows the Nephthys to revert ships into a safe location to avoid a traffic jam of multiple ships coming out of hyperspace in multiple different locations and all trying to astrogate to the same point. As with the tunnel, the Critalizer field can generally be 'broken' out of depending on the density of generators, mass of the ship, and quality of hyperdrive -- however, a caveat is that it usually takes a certain amount of time to break out of a tunnel regardless (making doing so an imprecise maneuver) and the suddenness of the Critalizer field is usually enough to catch ships unprepared to break out or through it. The Critalizer field can also be bypassed by a hyperspace inertial momentum sustainer.

An option with the tunnels created by the Nephthys is to lower the density of projectors along a route to make a strong tunnel that is able to guide ships along a route, but at the same time allows a ship to leave the route at any possible time or desired destination. This creates a smaller strain on resources to create and maintain the necessary Nephthys generators Another caveat to the tunnel created by the inhibitor projector is that gravity wells and interdictor technology are still able to pull ships out of hyperspace, although the hyperspace tunnel will inflict additional damage on a ship immobilized by gravity wells depending on the strength of the tunnel.

The advantage of the Nephthys method is that it essentially guides ships to their destination through hyperspace, reducing all chance of error and also making speed more efficient. However, the creation and maintenance of the vast amount of projectors needed to create a hyperlane tunnel between even two-star systems is a heavy financial and operative undertaking.

Ultimately, the Nephthys is promised to revolutionize hyperlane charting and hyperspace travel with its safer and reliable function.

Last edited:
Alban Roble Alban Roble , I'll be your Factory Judge for this submission and the station that seems to be going along with it:

Manufacturer: RMR-H20 Nephthys Hyperspace Inhibitor Projector
I'm guessing this is actually going to be Roble Manufacturing?

But while S-Thread Boosters force open routes through hyperspace, the inhibitor projector is designed to instead provide a secure pathway through hyperspace. An appropriate analogy would be an enclosed tunnel; the inhibitor creates a tunnel through hyperspace that all but forces a ship traveling along the path through that tunnel.

I don't quite follow how this is different from the existing S-thread boosters.

S-thread boosters actually enlarge existing, but almost miniscule hyperspace tunnels called S-threads or Simu-tunnels. It's definitely true that this is a brute-force solution, as they expand these tunnels (which are normally far too small to fit a ship). While it's not explicitly described, they appear to work by counteracting or pushing back at least some of the mass shadows or other gravitational anomalies that would otherwise inhibit hyperspace travel. Even with their use, the Sanctuary Pipeline (the sole canon use of S-thread boosters that I'm aware of) also required the movement of a lot of objects that sat in realspace (Star Wars Gamer 9, p.27) which could create mass shadows.

A ship in a S-thread boosted tunnel can't really leave its tunnel either, as if it did so, it would be entering a gravitational field or mass in hyperspace, meaning that it'd either revert to realspace or catastrophically collide with a mass while in hyperspace.

How is the inhibitor's tunnel different than the tunnel of the S-thread booster?

Gir Quee Gir Quee

Nice catch on the manufacturer, that has been edited.

As for the S-Thread Booster, I was more unaware of how specifically that technology worked, and the wording in the description has been edited to acknowledge that the Nephthys is similar to the boosters. However, I would say that while an S-Thread Booster seems to be "pushing" back against mass shadows or anomalies that would inhibit hyperspace travel, the Nephthys is more built to be utilized on routes that could be normally charted otherwise; essentially, you couldn't just use the Nephthys to punch through unknown space, you'd still have to chart a route as normal.

Alban Roble Alban Roble , to be clear then, as a general concept it's pretty much a traffic control device?

Although entrance stations and the like exist, there is no true single waypoint into a tunnel created by the Nephthys, and it is accepted that a jump into hyperspace anywhere in the tunnel's relativistic real-space vicinity (which is in actually light-years across, although it depends on the density and manual settings of the projector).

Several light years across is really quite big. To put that in perspective, the Oort cloud of our solar system (the farthest defined border of this system) is 2 light years across in its largest diameter. In other words, this has the practical effect of basically creating a solar system wide interdiction or traffic control field (which would also noticeably include mass shadows of planets in it). I think this should probably be smaller, may in the tens or hundreds of kilometers at most; at least not greater than that of a traditional gravity well generator.

This looks like it's mostly intended as a piece of civilian infrastructure, and I think it's an interesting piece at that and one with good potential for future lore. I think it has some theoretical or possible military applications though, in large part because in its current form, it can affect both the movement of both allied and enemy starships. So with that, I think that we need some edits to give possible opponents more freedom to break out of the tunnel if they somehow find themselves in it (jump in the gate vicinity, hijack a ship, accidentally cross the tunnel while in hyperspace, etc). This is a key example that comes to mind in this submission when I reread it, but there other similar occurrences:

Hyperlane Charting: The Nepththys in essence creates a tunnel through hyperspace that cannot be left by a ship at any point, making it easy to direct a ship down a certain lane or to construct a hyperlane.

Gir Quee Gir Quee

I edited it to for the 'jump point' to be only several hundred kilometers in radius -- thank you for pointing out the application of the previous size, I was unaware of its size realistically and the unintended effects that would have.

As for the strength of the tunnels and possibilities for ships to 'break out' of it, I had stated three main factors in the description; the density of inhibitor projectors along the route, the grade/quality of a ship's hyperdrive, and the mass of the ship itself. If these are not sufficient, or you have further weaknesses you feel would be necessary to add, then please let me know.

Alban Roble Alban Roble , the concept is generally fine, it's more of a language / wording issue:

• Hyperlane Charting: The Nepththys in essence creates a tunnel through hyperspace that cannot be left by a ship at any point, making it easy to direct a ship down a certain lane or to construct a hyperlane.

The bolded and underlined area is absolute language in that it calls a hit - it does not give another writer room for their ship to leave the tunnel. Language like that is expressly forbidden per the general factory rules:

Language that could be interpreted to force another writer to do something they do not wish for their character is prohibited.

Here's are some other areas where we have the same issue (which I will bold and underline). Remember, you can dictate how your technology works, but you cannot dictate other writers (or their ships) actions. The best you can do is suggest possible actions.

• Critalizer Field: When activated, the field forces vessels within a range to slow down traveling velocities to sublight impulse speeds, effectively forcing ships to revert to hyperspace.

• Multi-Stop: When the critalizer field is utilized, all vessels traveling through the tunnel must be slowed and revert wherever the critalizer field is, meaning that utilizing the field for routes along hyperlanes with multiple stops would make travel much slower.

Instead of 'breaking' out of the tunnel, which can put unnecessary strain on a ship, instead the Nephthys is able to create a critalizer field that forces vessels within it to slow velocities to sublight impulse speeds, inhibiting maneuverability along with a predetermined set of parameters, thereby imposing direction as well as speed.
The following section needs a bit more clarification on what the possible exceptions could be:
the inhibitor creates a tunnel through hyperspace that all but forces a ship traveling along the path through that tunnel.

There may be a few other examples of that type language in the sub that I might have missed, but I will go over it again after you have edited it.

Alban Roble Alban Roble , it definitely looks better. Here's a couple I see:

• Multi-Stop: When the critalizer field is utilized, all vessels traveling through the tunnel generally are slowed and revert wherever the critalizer field is, given that they are unable to break out of the field or tunnel altogether, meaning that utilizing the field for routes along hyperlanes with multiple stops would make travel much slower.

If you could please remove the "all" here. Usually, it's best to stay away from using absolutes when describing a submission's effects on a (possible) enemy.

the inhibitor creates a tunnel through hyperspace that all but forces a ship traveling along the path through that tunnel.

As mentioned in my previous post, this needs some clarification as to the exceptions if you're going to use "all". I think it'd probably be simpler to say something like "the inhibitor creates a tunnel through hyperspace that usually forces a ship traveling along the path through that tunnel."

Instead of 'breaking' out of the tunnel, which can put unnecessary strain on a ship, instead, the Nephthys is able to create a critalizer field that is designed to slow vessels within it to sublight impulse speeds, inhibiting maneuverability along with a predetermined set of parameters, thereby imposing direction as well as speed.

The latter two clauses in these sections could use some modifiers to make sure that it's clear that these are only possibilities, not necessities. Something like this (as an example):

Instead of 'breaking' out of the tunnel, which can put unnecessary strain on a ship, instead, the Nephthys is able to create a critalizer field that is designed to slow vessels within it to sublight impulse speeds, potentially inhibiting maneuverability along with a predetermined set of parameters, thereby possibly imposing direction as well as speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom