Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Rhane Varless' Hoth-Class Battle Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the Style of Lord Hoth's Armor

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION

PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: Silver Jedi Order
  • Affiliation: @Rhane Varless
  • Model: Hoth-Class Unique Armor
  • Modularity: Yes, components can be switched, upgraded or repaired.

• Production: Unique
  • Material:
    Durasteel/Phrik Alloy
    Chestplate
  • Shoulder Pads
  • Neckguard
  • Bracers
  • Boots/Leg Plates

[*]Cortosis Fiber Weaving
  • Bracers
  • Boots/Leg Plates
  • Neckguard

[*]Armorweave
  • Cape
  • Pants
  • Synthetic Fur Cloak

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Multipurpose Battle Armor
  • Weight: Average
  • Resistances
- Blasters: Extreme
- Kinetic: Very High
- Lightsabers: Extreme
- Sonic: Very Low
- EMP/ION: Average
- Elemental: Very Low

• Exception: No Resistances on upper arms and head.

SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Magnetic Soles
  • Retractable Cape
  • Cortosis in all 4 Bracers, Neckguard and Lower Leg Plates
  • Armorweave in pants, cape and fur cloak
  • Utility Belt
  • Thermal, Sonic and X-Ray blocking field
  • Repulsors in boots and bracers to aid in speed, movement, striking power and to push enemies away.
Strengths:
  • Extreme Resistance to Blasters
  • Extreme Resistance to Lightsabers
  • Very High Resistance to Kinetic Damage
  • Lightsaber De-Activating Cortosis in Leg Plates, Neckguard and Bracers
  • Repulsors in boots and bracers provide a variety of different effects.
Weaknesses:
  • No Resistances on upper arms and head.
  • Very Low Resistance to Sonic Damage
  • Very Low Resistance to Elemental Damage
  • Not Pressurized
DESCRIPTION
The armor was made specifically for Rhane Varless, modeled after the ancient Jedi Master Lord Hoth's armor. Such an armor design was edited and molded to fit Rhane's elongated body with extra arms. The armor's armorweave protects the cape, fur cloak and pants but leaves the head and upper arms bare and unprotected. To compensate, an enlarged neckguard was instituted to protect the head and neck. The armor also has corotsis in the lower legs, neckguard and bracers, allowing the wearing to both preform martial arts that can deactivate lightsabers and block incoming attacks.

[member="Rhane Varless"],

Rhane Varless said:
Kinetic: Very High
Cortosis is a very brittle metal when it has the ability to short out lightsabers. Yes I do see you have Phrik, but Cortosis cannot stand up to Kinetic based attacks very well. Like, hardly at all.

Secondary too this, you are a couple ratings over the recommended usage. I suggest that you reduce the ratings of the armor so that the likely hood of this being reported will drop significantly.

Rhane Varless said:
Durasteel/Phrik Alloy Chestplate Shoulder Pads Neckguard Bracers Boots/Leg Plates Cortosis Bracers Boots/Leg Plates Neckguard
How are you using two lightsaber resistant metals on the same bodyparts?

[member="Auberon"]

To solve two problems at the same time, I've changed the Cortosis to a mesh that is layered on top of the affected areas. Still get the lightsaber deactivating properties without the brittle side effect. I believe this was also done in canon as well.

As for the slight overflow of points, I don't see the math there. According to my balancing, I should be right on target because:

- Blasters: Extreme (+3)
- Kinetic: Very High (+2)
- Lightsabers: Extreme (+3)
- Sonic: Very Low (-2)
- EMP/ION: Average (0)
- Elemental: Very Low (-2)

That's a total of +4 points off balance, but when you add in the additional -4 points from the armor being unique that puts it right at 0. I haven't added any categories as well, so the results are not skewed. Thx

[member="Rhane Varless"],

You may keep it as you wish. Recommendations are what I give out to prevent this armor from potentially being reported.

However, there is one problem with you using Cortosis weave instead of straight cortosis.

As stated in this article, Cortosis in armor allowed the wearer to short out lightsabers, however, once used in a weave, it lost the ability to short out Lightsabers. As such, You can either keep the shorting out ability, and lose out on Kinetic resistance, or you can keep the Kinetic resistance, and lose out on the ability to short out lightsabers. Here is why.

Cortosis weave used in swords, required less mixing of alloys in order to still be a weave, and have the ability to short out lightsabers. Very little metal was required, however, it was done to reduce the cost of the Cortosis used in the weapon. However, in armors, you required more. It's one or the other. Not both.

Secondary to that, you didn't answer a question I had posed.

Auberon said:
How are you using two lightsaber resistant metals on the same bodyparts?

Auberon said:
As stated in this article, Cortosis in armor allowed the wearer to short out lightsabers, however, once used in a weave, it lost the ability to short out Lightsabers. As such, You can either keep the shorting out ability, and lose out on Kinetic resistance, or you can keep the Kinetic resistance, and lose out on the ability to short out lightsabers. Here is why.

Auberon said:
Cortosis weave used in swords, required less mixing of alloys in order to still be a weave, and have the ability to short out lightsabers. Very little metal was required, however, it was done to reduce the cost of the Cortosis used in the weapon. However, in armors, you required more. It's one or the other. Not both.

The passage I'm referencing is this: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cortosis

More specifically:
''By specially weaving cortosis fibers within a protective matrix, it was possible to create armor that was both durable and immune to blaster fire. The cortosis armor also redirected the energy of a lightsaber back into itself, causing the lightsaber to temporarily shut down upon contact''

Is canon contradicting itself? Maybe? But it certainly appears that in several cases, such armor was created. We see that by weaving cortosis fiber into the armor, you keep the durability but with the added defensive bonus of lightsaber deactivating.

Auberon said:
Secondary to that, you didn't answer a question I had posed.

Rhane Varless said:
To solve two problems at the same time, I've changed the Cortosis to a mesh that is layered on top of the affected areas.
To solve all of this, I'm changing the Cortosis into a fiber weave method instead of a mesh. If this satisfies you, I'm satisfied as well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom