Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faction Return of the King [SJO]

Silver Rest, Kashyyyk

One week to the day following his coronation, Thurion Heavenshield stepped off his ship and onto Kashyyyk soil. He had succeeded his late brother's throne, despite his heavy reluctance to do so, for he still held true to his Jedi teachings that he was not to rule over others. In the end he relented, reaching the compromise that he, as High King, would be a servant to his people rather than their overlord. In that sense, perhaps it was no different to being the Grandmaster of a Jedi Order.

Still though, as Thurion wandered the grounds of Silver Rest, he did feel like an outsider. Like he didn't belong amongst Jedi anymore, despite having even taken to donning his old robes for the occasion. He looked around at the countless species going about their business, and there were woefully many conversations held in languages he had not heard or practised in decades. It seemed the galactic scale of the Jedi had become foreign territory to he who had once guided the order in its infancy, for he had only had Midvinter on his mind since his early retirement.

The reason for his visit was not one of self-discovery however, but rather the first order of business on his agenda as sovereign of an entire world. Midvinter was located to the farthest east, locked behind not just the vast Sith Empire but also a new threat in the form of the Bryn'adûl, a group he had no personal experience in dealing with. If either were to set their eyes on his homeworld, there would be little standing in their way. He needed help, and would request it from the only ones who were likely to listen.

He'd reached the top of the steps and now stood before the entrance to the temple itself. He took a deep breath. The Force was so strong in this place, and the Light was overwhelming to one who had not set foot on such sacred grounds for so long. A middle-aged woman looking about his age greeted him.

"Pardon me, kind stranger, might I be of service?"

The towering man turned to her and offered the traditional Jedi bow. "Oh yes, please. I humbly request an audience with someone on the Assembly. My name is Thurion Heavenshield, I was told someone would meet me here--"

The lady Jedi's eyes went wide with shock, so much so that she dropped her pile of datapads on the floor. "Master Heavenshield...!" She reached out and grabbed his hands, and her sudden fuss had several more gather around him. Immediately there were whispers and murmurs between them, and Thurion could not help but think returning here was perhaps a mistake.

If only someone were around to rescue him.

Elise

OOC: This topic is open to members of the SJO, though we ask that you contact either myself or Kyra Perl Kyra Perl for permission!

Last edited:

Elise

E
Elise was sitting on the benches outside the temple, as she was prone to do in the weeks preceding her ascension to the assembly. The number of faces that now sought her out were more numerous than she was use to, the fresh air did her good when it came to managing it all. She didn't notice the old Master's approach to the temple, her attention brought down the holopad on her lap.

Ever since the Jedi Concord was announced by the planets of the Silver Sphere, Jedi and defense related funding had come in en mass. Elise was delighted she no longer had to answer the age-long question of how she would fund the impending war, but as all things do... the change came with caveats.

Political caveats.

The Assembly wasn't framed for that. And still, she had stepped up, as she always did, taking on task after task as the world seemed to fall apart at their door step. Kintan. Bryn. Genocide, refugees-- it was an adjustment. The sun on her face kept her grounded-- reminded her to let the stress drop from her brows as she mulled.

Murmurs on the steps drew her attention. She stared for half a moment, then startled up as she placed the auburn head of hair. While not personally known, it didn't take the woman much to recognize the old Grand Master of the order. Oh dear. What ever could he be here for.

Elise was starting to grow wary of visits. They often brought bad news, a sense stirring in her gut only solidified this concern. Quick steps brought her over the small hedge and up the temple steps, her blonde head easily recognized to the masses as well. Her hand rested over the attending female, a gentle smile being the first thing to break its way through the gathering circle. "Thank you, Aryn, I'll take this from here."

"Master," acknowledged the breathless woman. The dismissal was understood by all, but the dragging feet and wide eyes lingered for a moment as everyone was left wondering the same question--

What was the old Grand Master-- now King-- doing on their steps again?

Elise glanced upwards, shooting him a tight, sympathetic look. If anyone understood the fluster of that moment, he could count her amongst the few.

"Master Heavenshield," she greeted, turning in full to give him a respectful bow. "I'm Elise, of the Assembly. ... I cannot say we were expecting you. May I offer you some tea?" And perhaps four walls. Yes, for once she found those necessary. She turned, gesturing him up the steps. Her curiosity, for a moment, would have to wait.

Thurion Heavenshield Thurion Heavenshield

Last edited by a moderator:
Immensely grateful for the interruption, Thurion met the woman's bow with one of his own. She looked young, clearly not someone who could have been around during his tenure decades past. Nevertheless, she seemed to hold a lot of respect amongst her peers. He was no-one to judge on appearance, for he too had only been in his 20's when he was elected Grandmaster.

"Thank you, Master Elise." No surname? he thought to himself. "And thank you again for the timely rescue," he added with honest relief. "I must warn you however, that I have never been a big fan of hot beverages. Now, a tall glass of blue milk, on the other hand..."

He followed her up the steps at her invitation, which put him more at ease entering the temple. It no longer felt like he was trespassing, but that soon changed as they wandered past a line-up of holo-displays, each of which displayed Grandmasters and prominent leaders of the Order's past. The very first one forced him to a stop.

"Iella," he remarked and attempted to run a finger down her small cheek, but of course it only caused the hologram to flicker. "Dear Sister." She had been the first, his only predecessor. Next to her was, of course, his own likeness, and right beside him was a hologram of his wife.

"So young, so full of vigour," he muttered, eyes darting between the two. "A lifetime time ago," he turned to Elise waiting for him. He walked past several others, all of whom had either passed on or left the Order, like himself. All of them together represented the old guard, and it was difficult not to become lost in nostalgia.

"Force be with you, my old friends..."

Forcefully pulling himself away from the display of holograms, he rejoined Elise to resume their trek. She took him to a private room, away from prying eyes. Thurion looked around at the exquisite architecture, so refined when compared to the old Silver Temple on Voss.

He was reminded of his reason for coming here.

"Master, I come here before you today--" A knock at the door drew their attention, and a young padawan appeared holding a tray carrying one cup of tea and one glass of blue milk. His appearance managed to put a smile on the elder's face. Poor thing couldn't be more than 10 years old.

Elise

E
It was strange to see the man besides the hologram. Stranger still to feel the pang of emotions pull from the man as he absorbed over the images she passed by without thought every day. All at once she was reminded of the history of the Order-- of all the things she strove to carry forward. Her shoulders fell a little, a tightness hitting her chest as the burden became that much heavier.

How do you explain to a Legend how you let moments like Kintan come to pass. Or Bryn-- it's encroaching borders. All those dead, all those misplaced. He was here for that, she felt it in her bones. And what could she say?

She breathed deep, walking silently. Fabric rustled as they sat down. A poignant sense of relief hit the air as the door opened and interrupted Thurion Heavenshield Thurion Heavenshield 's words. She could only give the child a tight smile, accepting the delivery with the absence of words. Wide eyes stared at them both, Elise not present enough to realize the impact could have on such an impressionable mind.

She brought the tea to her chest and cupped at its warmth, stressed ... uncharacteristically so.

The door closed, leaving them back to their private four walls. A long breath dispelled over the cup, making the steam dance. Elise looked back up to the now King, the tight smile leveled at him as he enjoyed his blue milk.

"I'm sure you've come a long way. Don't feel rushed to explain yourself." By all means, don't explain yourself at all. Stress lined her brows, the woman braced for the same dissent that she had been facing on a galactic scale.

Wearing: Hoodlum's Leathers

Equipped: De Lifte Crystal

It was Laertia's first time on Kashyyyk in a long time. The last having been when she had killed her first Sith. The Forest world had always held some significant meaning to her because of this.

Since coming out of retirement officially, Laertia knew she would need back up. The Amalgam had military resources. She needed them too. Plus, she had never ever liked Sith, and believed the innocent should be protected...but mainly it was about crushing The Amalgam's skull with her bare hands at the end of it all.

For now though, Laertia was simply getting a lay of the land. She felt awkward going to a place with so many Jedi. She had never really worked alongside a major organization. It showed. The tombstone skinned woman, her midnight shaded hair swaying a little in the wind as she walked, clad in her spiky biker leathers drew stares from more traditionally minded (and garbed) Jedi as she passed by them on the way to the Silver Rest, the De Lifte Crystal in her pocket easing the pain of her migraine to manageable levels.

As she approached however, she felt a presence. One she had not felt since Atrisia.

She stopped, turning as she saw Syd Celsius, clad in that same skintight white and gold armor she had seen her wearing in Golbah City. Her blood red hair swayed in the wind, her youthful, exotic features stretching to a toothy grin at the sight of Laertia. She floated above her a few seconds more before landing, Laertia's face reflected via Syd's suit back on to her.

"Laertia. I'm so glad you've decided to join...The Silvers..." Syd trailed, evidently stumbling a bit verbally speaking as she thought of what to say. "You should have called. I'd have given you a tour."

"Ohh, Hiya Syd..." Laertia trailed quietly. Syd had helped her out in dealing with a foe from the past, so Laertia had a tentative trust for the Alkahest-Spawn. Very tentative.

Still...something about Syd, despite her great wisdom...and great beauty...something in Laertia recoiled inwardly ever so slightly at Syd's well meaning, friendly smile, though she kept up her own all the same.

"I heard about what you did at Atrisia. I wish I could have been there to help, but I was...occupied."

"Itz no worreez. Watuhz unduh duh brydge." Laertia assured her in a friendly manner, self conscious suddenly at how they both stuck out like sore thumbs. One a vision of beauty, the other the shadows of an alleyway after a knife fight.

"Are you headed anywhere particular?" Syd asked.

"Wuzz hopinz tuh meet Thurion Heavenshield Thurion Heavenshield ." Laertia answered.

"You're in luck. Heavenshield landed not too long ago. I believe he's in the Rest at the moment."

"Thankz..." Laertia spoke happily, beginning to resume her journey.

"Laertia..." Syd called out as Laertia begin to walk.

Laertia turned to her.

"I'm really glad you decided to join us. I know how difficult it can be for someone like you...like us...to find acceptance. If you ever need someone to talk...don't hesitate to ask me for help. I've been where you've been."

Though Laertia sensed only the Light in Syd, it was the smile that made her skin crawl internally.

It was a smile of fascination. Of delight. Curiousity.

It was the same smile The Amalgam had, whenever she had stared into the beast's dead purple eyes.

Laertia kept up her smile, hid the slight revulsion in her mind as she nodded and thanked her for her concern, heading for the Rest, though she was certain she felt Syd's eyes lingering on her at a distance before she was too far away to feel her anymore.

Instead, she felt the master's presence as she entered the place earning more stares from other Jedi present. She was fascinated by the way the Light concentrated due to so many Jedi, and her own addled, malfunctioning presence in the Force was all the more noticeable because of it.

She knew the code but she had always looked at it from its historical context as opposed to taking it within her fully. Besides, she had killed far too many to be considered pure. The sobering reality of a hack'n'slash character build strikes again.

She saw him, with another, when a Padawan carrying a tray entered an office she passed by, whose door closed afterward. Realizing that was where her senses had led her she turned around.

She wanted to meet him, specifically, not just to introduce herself, but because her recent intel expenditures (which many Bothans died to bring her) had uncovered something about Midvinter. Something the King needed to hear.

His people were in terrible danger.

Laertia hit her knuckles gently on the door, in the hopes someone would open up.

Elise

Last edited:
His smile only widened as the boy brought him his order of blue milk, lifting it gingerly off the tray while giving the padawan a pat on the shoulder. "Thank you very much, young man." He'd always had a soft spot for children, for he could so readily think himself in their shoes. Perhaps he was still just a big kid at heart.

Thurion had to take a sip of the drink first, before their talks could progress any further. His taste buds were practically leaping with joy. The sip turned into a large gulp and as he lowered the glass his moustache had turned a shade of blue. Again, like a child would, he carelessly wiped his lips with the long sleeve of his robes.

"Sorry. I couldn't help myself." He set the drink aside and fidgeted a bit in his chair. Right, to business!

"As I was saying, I have come here on behalf of my people, on behalf of Midvinter. We are one tiny dot sitting on the farthest reaches of the known galaxy, far removed from the political and war-torn regions of space. All we desire is to be left in peace, to our own devices. However, where once there was one galactic threat to our world, there are now two."

"The Sith Empire, and the Bryn'adûl."

He took another, far less exuberant sip of his blue milk.

"For years now, the Sith seem to have been preoccupied elsewhere, conquering one system after another to shore up their already impressive front towards their enemies. Towards the Silver Jedi." He'd heard of the many battles and skirmishes fought between Jedi and Sith, as well as the results of said battles, but that was not for him to comment on, nor the reason for his visit.

"I worry now that, with my installment as High King, their focus will soon shift towards Midvinter. The Emperor, Carnifex, and I, we... have a long history. I'm afraid he'll use his hatred of me to fuel the mounting of a fullscale invasion, in which case we stand no hope of victory and my people will be either wiped out entirely, or put in chains. And that's not even taking into account these Bryn'adûl, of whom I know next to nothing."

His gaze had drifted some as he envisioned the horrors Kaine Zambrano would inflict upon his people, until suddenly he arrived at the request itself.

"Master, I am left with no choice but to come to you as a humble beggar; we require technological aid in the case of an impending invasion. A planetary shield generator to safeguard against orbital bombardments at the very least. We currently have nothing to challenge their fleets, however if they can be forced to go in on foot my people will make them rue the day."

His eyes fell upon the glass in his hands, watching the blue milk swirl around. "We have no credits to offer. All I can offer you in return is the immense gratitude of a world's entire population, as well as my personal friendship. If the Silvers were to put out a call to arms, Midvinter would happily answer."

Thurion had just gotten through his request when suddenly there was another knock on the door, which should provide the Jedi Master a few extra moments to give her answer.

Elise

E
Elise's tension slipped like a puff a smoke from her body, her expression softening as she took in his plea for help. The humbleness of his request shocked her. It would have been so easy for the old Grand Master to come in and demand follow through. If not for Concordia's new pledge to apply aid where aid was needed, then over his connection to the place. Power, even when given up, lingered. Expectations. Old baggage-- they had a way of coming back up.

Elise was feeling that reality as of late.

Of course she would help him. For so many reasons, he would have naturally received a yes. But the manner in which he addressed her bred a willingness to engage that she hadn't had in some time. Her posture straighten, a light entering her eyes as she opened her mouth to-

The door received another knock. Elise blinked, flustered as she uttered, "Yes, of course, Master, I have ideas but-- apologies-- one moment-" She placed her tea down and went up on her knees, reaching to pull the door open herself.

Laertia would easily see Thurion behind her, the door not blocked from her entry. Elise gave the woman a once over, clearly aiming to place her. "Can I help you?"

Thurion Heavenshield Thurion Heavenshield Laertia Io Laertia Io

Laertia gave a small bow as Elise opened the door, and quietly strode in careful not to brush into anyone with her spiky clothes.

Standing in front of a Jedi Master...a real one...was a deeply sobering thing. Both their natures had the light flow so easily through them. Laertia had only a bare minimum understanding of the Light.

How many had they killed, she wondered. Laertia's aura echoed of desperate fights for one's life, enemies dying in horrific agony as her lightsaber hit them, explosions, murderous use of chainsaws on Sith abominations as well as standard Sith, Force only knew how many artillery ambushes, and attack dogs. Holy crap the attack dogs. Solid fifteen XP apiece.

Laertia suddenly felt like a freak in comparison to them. They looked like they could glide among civilians easy. Likely it was second nature to them. Laertia had difficulty talking to ordinary people, not because she thought herself superior, but there was such a wide, bloody gulf between the life they led and the life she led. Plus, most of her experiences with ordinary people came from trying to survive Nar Shaddaa as a child and a teenager. They were not good ones.

She had never held any resentment towards the fact she had been turned into a weapon by Ursula. It was either that or stay street scum with Force Powers. If anything she was proud of the fact she was so effective, having personally executed by lightsaber dozens of Sith in honorable combat. But being a weapon had robbed her of the ability to be normal.

Recent truths about herself however, had caused her to focus on these facts more than she liked to. But the fact remained that deep down, shoving her blade into Sith and their minions was her calling.

She still couldn't help but feel envy that Thurion and Elise could pass for normal, while she could only walk at the margins of civilization.

Thurion was a king, recently crowned. Laertia, when she was young, had used to pretend she was a princess and that her father had been a king from a far away land and that one day he would rescue her from the filth of the streets and she would be given a nice, pretty tower and horses and rabbits to pet and a mother to love and care for her as a beautiful queen. The streets had worn down the sheen of that fantasy over time, until one day it had grown so painful she had ended up burying it for the most part.

Elise's beauty was the sort of beauty Laertia would have liked to have. Laertia was beautiful herself, but it was the beauty of cut marble the color of tombstone, and the so-called Black Knight had never had an ear or even a realization her beauty could be used to attract others, nor had she ever developed a desire for such. But Elise's beauty looked more 'normal' to Laertia. Still allowed her to be among regular people. Thus the scarred woman found herself slightly covetous of the benefit she perceived Elise enjoyed.

"Plejuh tuh maykez yorr akwaintaynce, Mastuh Thurion..." Laertia said politely. "Myy naymez Io. Laertia Io."

(Clip of Bond Theme Plays)

"I'mm heerz tuh bothh offuh myy assystannce tuh Middvinnterr aggannst duh Syth anndz duh Brinnyduelz az wellz az warnz yooz ov a threattz tooz yuh worrldz."

Laertia reached into her pocket, pulling out a small miniprojector and inserting a holodisk into it.

The projector brought up what appeared to be a series of ancient missile silo locations at key points around Midvinter. Nanotechnological alarms popped up as well

"Itz wuz builtz durinngz duh Guulagg Playgue too duhfenndz agannst a Spayce Innvayshun. Wellz, nott 'duhfenndz' exaktlee...morr lyke a laast ruhsortz...a 'Takinz Yooz Wit Meez' iff yoo followz." She explained.

"Nott surez whoo builtz ittz...but dhere wuz a Brinnyduel Spyy I intuhceptedz lasst weekz. Hee hadd topz of duh lynez blaack opz ekwipmentz. Itz haddz pyckedz uppz naanohteknohlojikull ahlarrmz duh few dayz buhforez dhat whilez tryinz tuh eskaype yorr sysstemz. I buhleevez hee trannsmytedz hiz fyndingz too hiz suhpureeorz buhforez hiz cappchur..."

Laertia switched the image to the frozen one of the Bryn'adûl Spy she had captured. He appeared to be backed up against a toppled over vehicle, apparently the pov was hers. The Spy was surrounded by a number of destroyed assassin droids and mercenaries. Laertia hit play.

"Wutz duh Brinnyduel'z plannz?"

"Kiss my ass!" He snarled. This earned him getting his head slammed against the vehicle.

"Sawrreez...cuddint heerz yooz..." Laertia could be heard growling.

"Let me say it a little louder then, get fethed--"

The man yelped as he was hoisted up at the ankle by her cybernetic arm, which then proceeded to dangle the weasly looking man over a ravine.

"Itz nott reallee meez yoo gotzta worriez aboutz. Wut yooz needz tuh beez konnsurnned wyth, iz gravvatee--"

"Ahhh! AGHHHHH!!! ALRIGHT! ALRIGHT! The Bryn'adûl got sleeper agents they're trying to maneuver close to the old silos! They're gonna try and smuggle alot of the nanowarheads offworld, and then use the rest on Midvinter. The operation takes place soon..."

"HOWW SOONZ!" Laertia shouted.

"Eight days...thats how long they need to organize the smuggling routes off planet...they wanna use the rest about a week after that...here, take...take the disk! Its fething got everything!" He yelled.

"Ruhmemmbuhz wenn I saydz I wuz gunna kyllz yooz lasst?" Laertia growled in a deadly manner.

"That's right! You did say that!"

"I liedz."

The man screamed as Laertia dropped him. He fell screaming a long distance...before a grapple cable caught him by the leg, and dragged him back up, alive, but completely scared stiff.

"Yooz luckee I wuzzint spek opz, chitthed..." Laertia muttered in the recording, punching him unconscious so he could be properly interrogated.

"Probbablee gunna be sorreez I wuzzint spek opz wunce duh spookz gett dhere handz onn yooz..."

The recording ended there.

"I beenz spenndinz duh passt threee dayyz reeverrifyingz everrytingz hee tolldz meez. I wudda gotz too yooz soonuh, Mastuh Thurion, but I haddz tuh bee surez duh inntell wuz sollidz."

Laertia waited then for questions to be asked, as she knew Thurion Heavenshield Thurion Heavenshield especially would have many...

The woman who presented herself seemed quite unique, to say the least. She certainly did not look the part of a Jedi, but then there were plenty non-Jedi walking these grounds as well. Perhaps she had yet to join the Order?

"Miss Io," Thurion politely greeted her when she gave her name, not realising he would not get another word in for the next few minutes.

Laertia proceeded to take over the conversation completely, although it became evident she did so with the best intentions. It would seem she had gathered some piece of intelligence while out in the field, and apparently it was crucial enough to interrupt important talks between Jedi Masters.

"Forgive me, Miss, I do not wish to sound rude," he finally got a word in following her lengthy presentation of evidence. "But you're telling me, that these Bryn'adûl, have somehow installed several missile silos on the planet of Midvinter? And during the Gulag Plague?" The elder shook his head in disbelief.

"I'm sorry, but there are severe gaps in your logic, Laertia. Let me explain to you the reasons why."

He rose from his chair and began to slowly circle the quarters. "Firstly, Midvinter has never appeared on the star charts until just a few decades ago. I know because I put it on the map when my ship crashed on it. Secondly, the Gulag Plague was at its height in the last century or so. The Bryn'adûl only revealed themselves a handful years ago, so why would they fear the spread of an already extinct virus? Thirdly, there exists no advanced technology on Midvinter. There are no power generators from which these launch sites could draw power to activate."

"And lastly,"
he then said, having circled the room to now stand before the strange woman. "Midvinter sits on the very edge of known space. It has already been proven that the Gulag Plague never gained a foothold there thanks to the isolationist nature of my people during that time. Anyone could with a simple scan have realised there is no trace of the virus, and simply move on."

Putting his hands behind his back, Thurion looked down at Laertia.

"However, it would be irresponsible of me to ignore the evidence you have brought before me. If you'll allow me, I shall examine them for myself and begin investigations if I deem it necessary. If there indeed exist weapons of mass-destruction on Midvinter, they will be discovered and dismantled. You have my word."

Holding out his hand, he waited for Laertia to hand him the holodisk.

"Thank you for bringing this to my attention. In the case you are correct, you will be have saved an entire world," he then offered with a small bow of his head. "Now if you'll excuse Master Elise and I, we were in the middle of an important meeting. May the Force be with you."

Elise

E
Elise watched in confusion. Having personally gone up against Bryndaul, she new them to be horribly tough and fearless monsters. Not an easily trapped and frightened man.

Was it possible Laertia had captured something else, and they had spouted this misinformation under duress to protect someone else? By this point, anything was plausible, but it did not change the fact that Midwinter was in need of further technological assistance.

"Thank you, Miss Io," she called out as the woman was dismissed. "We will look into this accordingly, as see to it that in the meantime you are provided with lodging and food to regather for the next leg of your journey." As she gave the woman her word, she nodded in appreciation. A nearby ear would surely help her, and direct her as Elise promised.

A sense of severity descended upon the room. Elise placed down her tea, waiting until the door was closed to speak again.

"We will do all we can to be sure you are outfitted with appropriate tech to protect your people," she told him as the moment carried forward. "A sweep, even, should be done to be sure there was no truth to her report. While there were glaring holes in the narrative she was given, we would be remiss not to-- a simple scan of your power grid should be suffice-- Bryn'daul do not have men."

Her thoughts were scattered, each topic touched upon before skipping to address the next.

"And they've not made a move yet towards you?

She had done all she could to warn them. Truth be told, even she was not certain...the Spy had been careful, but he had made a few mistakes that raised her eyebrows. Whatever. The Spooks would get the rest out of him.

"Buhfore I goz, I shudd re-iteratez dhatz I'm verry verry gudz att fytinz Syth. Iff yoo evuh needz a partikularlee nasstee opponentz foughtz, sendz meez inn..." Laertia said to Elise .

She turned back to Thurion Heavenshield Thurion Heavenshield .

"Duh Brinnyduelz arr nuthinz but bulliez. I'yll takez upp a swordz tuh duhfenndz MiiddVinnter anny timez yoo wantz, Mastuh Heavenshield. Whenn I rippz annd terrz, I dooz itt untyllz itz donnz. I mayde frenndz on Atrizzia, so I cannz allso hellpz suppliesz MiddVinnterr wyth weaponz."

Laertia was not kidding about that last part. She'd taken a chainsaw to Sith soldiers and abominations on Atrisia during an attempted invasion by Mythos.

Laertia gave a bow to both and exited the room. She had done her best...she really did hope the intel was good...

The Jedi found herself wandering the Silver Rest, drawing more stares, which made her extremely nervous and self conscious once more as she moved about. She had to find something to do. Had to look useful...

Laertia was relieved to find the training chambers. The gardens did not appeal, nor did the wide spaces. Training was solid. Concrete.

Laertia went still a bit as she spotted Syd once again, going up against six or seven training droids. She could tell they were operating safeties off because of the manner and speed in which they attacked her. Syd's pulsing orange blades parried and countered fantastically and for a split second Laertia doubted her assertion that one lightsaber blade was all one needed.

A quivering concern entered Laertia's mind that she had ended up in Syd's training session subconsciously on purpose. She quelled it, dark gray eyes scanning the movements of the exotic, flame haired woman as she used her ability to fly with The Force to help her leap above the last droid and behead it. Fantastic timing and superhuman athleticism.

Just like The Amalgam.

Laertia kept her expression passive at first but when Syd noticed her and smiled, Laertia, oddly, could not help but smile back slightly, even though some very teensy part of her recoiled at Syd's smile. It was an odd juxtaposition in Laertia's mind that she could not figure out.

"Ah, Laertia! Did you finish your meeting with Master Heavenshield?" Syd asked.

Laertia nodded, not fully making eye contact. "I'mz nott surrez dhey beeleevez meez..." she confessed.

Syd shrugged. "Spar with me. You can tell me all about it."

Laertia did the calculations. They were officially on the same side now. One had to be willing to trust ones allies. She nodded in agreement, causing Syd to smile more.

Laertia teleported a training blade, a curved one to her hand and a green blade slid out.

Syd raised an eyebrow. "How interesting. I employ Form Two a lot myself."

Fluidly thought Laertia privately in regards to Syd's Jar'Kai. Laertia rarely encountered fighters better with more than one lightsaber so for someone who espoused a single blade or nothing, this was quite an admission to make, even in private.

"Onn guardz" Laertia muttered, giving a Form two salute."

Syd smirked and struck at her after giving her own salute, Laertia's blade intercepting both of Syd's.

"So tell me why you are worried they don't believe you..." Syd trailed as she pulled back and struck again...

Last edited:
Syd studied Laertia before committing to her next attack.

The scarred woman moved with a grace that did not match her scruffy appearance, and struck for Syd's chest with a ghostly swiftness that rivalled Syd's own speed.

"Intellz dhat I gayve Thurion Heavenshield Thurion Heavenshield and Elise wuz spottee. Brinnyduelz arr uzuuallee morr cayrfullz."

"You think it could be deliberate misinformation?"

"Summ ov itz..."

"What was it you found?"

"Annchennt missull syloz, fylled wyth naanotek warrhedz. Guulagg Erra. Trouuble iz, Guulagg Playyguez nevuh reaachedd MiddVinter..."

Syd inwardly shuddered at anything to do with the plague, but she stomached it for the sake of getting to know Laertia better.

"A great deal of events were never recorded during the Plague." Syd replied, backing off, angling her blades at Laertia, whose stance, blade held in front and angled down, was like that of a rock, her expression impassive. Syd's body constantly shifted position in an extremely fluid manner as she circled Laertia, who did not move.

Syd flew towards her with the Force, blades sweeping towards Laertia's torso. Laertia twisted her body around, shifting her blade into a vertical position in front of her and then shoved forward, forcing Syd to make an X with her blades to stop Laertia's from touching her neck at the last second.

"It would not surprise me if at least a few things escaped their notice..." Syd added, marveling at the cunning Io displayed at Makashi, a simple, elegant move, backed by the strength of a bodybuilder.

"But a whholle seereez ov missul syloz?" Laertia asked, tone nuetral, disturbed by how her face reflected in Syd's white suit.

Syd flipped away with the Force, opened her mouth and Laertia instinctively shut her eyes, stature not even off balance when Syd sprang forward with a stab, from one blade, swinging at Laertia's neck.

With fluidity that surprised Syd given her previously rock-like stance, Laertia elegantly twisted out of the way with her eyes closed.

"There are temples..." Syd trailed slicing with both blades in a chaotic pattern barrowed from Juyo. Laertia kept her eyes closed as she parried blades from all sides. Syd's intrigue increased with her fellow weapon.

"Tombs..."

Laertia barely blocked both blades from Syd, who sliced and thrusted for Laertia's torso in unpredictable patterns. Laertia used years of training in footwork and evasion to help defend herself against the vicious flurries.

"And whole abandoned blacksites..."

The chops and stabs came so fast and vicious that even using every trick in the book with Makashi, all the fluid parries, that were forced to turn into blocks as Syd relentlessly followed up using every style she knew to try and pierce Laertia's defense. All the counter-attacks that were relentlessly punished with chops and spinning slices from either direction that came at twice the speed of Laertia's attacks. All of this combined to actually drive Laertia backward in the chamber.

"...that number in the countless hundreds that I am certain will never be found..." Syd postulated. "If there were military installations that the populace and government never knew about its because it was near total chaos in those days. Purposes get lost. It might not have even been built by Thurion's people. A planet free of the plague would be an immense tactical asset. More than a few wars were fought in those times to occupy strategic space not claimed by the plague. It may have been a relatively small operation. A few dozen silos at most. All sorts of factions in those days could have set up shop without any being the wiser..."

Syd was forced to defend against two efficient, elegantly delivered swipes which had such strength they nearly knocked her off her feet without the Force to recover. They had been delivered in just as unpredictable a manner as Syd's assault.

"You know Form Seven." Syd observed, taking a second to massage a wrist. "And you know it well."

"So doo yooz." Laertia breathed, unnerved at how cobra-like Syd's attacks were. She had barely parried them.

"In any event..." Syd trailed, connecting her blades into a staff, causing Laertia to suppress a mild anxiety attack as she remembered The Amalgam's style.

The Amalgam preferred pure Niman for the most part. Syd favoured a double bladed Form Two. Laertia had never met a master of double bladed Form 2. She was about to regret that.

"The only way to know for certain is to go to the site yourself to verify..." Syd spoke again, sending her staff into an elegant spin directed at Laertia's throat...

By the time they were behind closed doors again Thurion had found his seat once more, sitting opposite of Elise in a markedly more uneasy stance. Suddenly a lot more questions came to mind brought on by this one piece of information, true or no.

"They have not," he replied to her question. "The Bryn'adûl have never set foot on Midvinter, they did not even exist as an organisation until but a handful years ago. At the very least they were not publically known throughout my tenure with the Silvers on Voss. They are an unknown entity to me. Back in those days our chief concern was the Sith Empire, and the One Sith before them."

His gaze turned to the closed door where the woman had stood. "I don't mean to doubt her story. Whether the information is good or no, this Io seems an honest person. Perhaps a little too blunt at times, but still. There is just a lot of little things that don't seem to add up. And," he confessed, "I don't take threats to my homeworld lightly. I hope I wasn't too short with her."

However, with the promise of aid from the Silver Jedi Order, his spirits were lifted. Thurion reached across the coffee table for her hand to express his gratitude. "Thank you, Elise. Truly. If there is anything this grizzled old Jedi could ever offer you in return, just name it."

Elise

E
Stress was understandable. Elise herself had shown a fair few signs of it during her tenure on the assembly, the start of this meeting included.

Elise left her tea unaddressed, mulling over the turn of events. It wasn't until he reached out for her hand that she seemed to return to the present, the lines leaving her brows as she reached out to shake in return. Her grip lacked that strong confidence of the once-was grand master. "Nonsense, this is just what we do for each other." She gave him a strained smile, feeling the meeting draw closer to its end. She picked back up her tea, breathing easier as the official terms of his visit came to pass.

"I heard about what occurred with your people-- and your rise to your new position. ... I'm so sorry for your loss. War... is a terrible thing." Her fingers gripped the cup a little tighter, no truer words than that.

"Should I prepare rooms for you as well, or will you be heading back now?"

Say what you wanted about Tulan Kor-

That it was odd he carried a rifle, or a pistol everywhere he went- openly. That he usually didn't wear armor, even during operations- fatigues and chest rigs, ammunition and concealment.

That he was curt, rude, and lacked social graces.

That he was short.

That he was an angry, vindictive man.

That he was violent- even by the Rangers standard.

That he was ruthless.

That he couldn't hold a relationship to save his life.

But not a soul alive could say...

That he wasn't sneaky.

"War must be so awful- yet the Jedi keep goin' at it. Hell, we keep goin' at it." He gave the man a stare, bypassing the presence of Elise, even as he stood over her- behind her, exactly. He seemed to have slipped in when they weren't looking, or otherwise preoccupied. Or- maybe he was there the whole time, waiting, lying in wait like a trapdoor spider.

Again, hard to say. Tulan was weird.

"I know your son. Haven't seen the kid in quite a while though." Compliments were due, in this situation, right? Credit was due where credit was due.

"Your sons a hell of a soldier- thought you should hear it from me personally."

Elise's mention of his brother's passing caused his features to shift to those of a person in mourning, and he leaned back some in his chair. "Thank you," he offered in return for her condolences. It was a topic most difficult to talk about. "I would not be the man I am today were it not for him. The suffering my brother went through... That man deserved a life of peace. I can only hope he's found some measure of it in death."

He was then about to answer Elise's question regarding lodgings when out of nowhere another voice spoke up. One decidedly not belonging to the Jedi Master sitting opposite of himself.

Thurion stood up once more, at first as a fight or flight response in the case this stranger meaned them harm. Soon after his stance relaxed when he realised the man wore the uniform of an Antarian Ranger. In his head he tried to run back events and see just when this person could have entered the room unnoticed.

He made a comment about war, only to then give praise about his son. It was a very strange first encounter, to say the least.

"Uhh... Thank you, Gunnery Sergeant," he noted the rank insignia on his uniform. "You must be 'Gunny'," he then assumed a friendly stance and extended his hand for a shake. "Thirdas has spoken of you often, Mr. Kor. In his holovids he sent me and his mother during boot camp he mentioned how he didn't want to let you down. You must be a very good teacher for him to respect you so."

Following their handshake Thurion tucked his hand back into the folds of his robes. "I'm afraid he sustained grave injuries fighting on Midvinter. He's expected back here in a few days' time to undergo cybernetic surgery." Another difficult topic. "Poor boy lost his arm and leg as a result of his wounds..."

His gaze grew distant, until he turned to Elise. "Thank you, Master Elise. For everything. I will not take up any more of your time, I'm sure you have plenty of more pressing matters to deal with. I would be much grateful if I could spend the night here before I head back home. It is a long journey, even at hyperspeed." He offered her the traditional Jedi bow and proceeded to exit the room, assuming the curious NCO would follow.

"If you don't mind me asking, Gunnery Sergeant, do you have any children of your own?"

Tulan couldn't help but smile, in a sort of proud surrogate father sort of way. Sure, this guy may have been the kid's father- but Tulan showed him how the world was, and gave him a purpose. Dad seemed proud of his kid- and Tulan was admittedly upset at the idea of the kid being hurt.

But the Heavenshields were tenacious little fuckers, and the kid was no exception. Hell, even without cybernetic, that big one armed dummy could probably out-class most assholes in Silver Rest.

Tulan walked with Thurion, sniffing as he usually did, his lack of social graces only matched by his lack of caring for them.

"Oh me? No- hard to have kids in my line of work. Not so popular around here, either. Everyone's got a long memory around here." It was true- once people knew about what Tulan used to do- well any romantic, and often platonic interest dried up.

A former Sith assassin and commando wasn't exactly the type of person you wanted to be friends with, after all. But what he could do, outpaced what he did. The door closed, but not before Tulan gave a cheeky little wink at Elise- flirting or poking fun of her lack of situational awareness- hard to say.

"All of my boys are my kids. My kids kill bad guys, so you could say I'm a proud dad every day of the week."

Fighting Syd was something Laertia Io compared to trying to fight a windmill.

She was especially good at Form 2 and 3 parries, blades rotating in her hands to slap aside the quick efficient stabs from Laertia that had a great deal of physical power. Laertia was rock like in her stance, unwilling to be distracted by Syd's acrobatics, focusing only on where her limbs and her blades were.

She's good...the scarred Jedi thought. Maybe even better than...than...

Laertia pushed the memory of Ursula from her mind as she lunged, her one handed blade attacks swift and efficiently delivered, aiming to strike mostly at her wrists and ankles, using footwork to evade Syd's vicious counter attacks in Form 007.

But Syd was fast, strong, and determined. Laertia was forced to use a blend of Juyo, Makashi, and elements of The Fast Style to keep up.

"Go'z dhere myysellff?" Laertia questioned, ending up in a Blade lock with the Alkahest-Spawn.

Syd grinned. "Absolutely. That way, if its a false flag you can warn Thurion Heavenshield Thurion Heavenshield not to waste resources. If its the real thing, you have better info on the danger."

Syd was using telekinesis to reinforce her strength during the lock.

"How many styles do you know, Laertia?"

"I certainly don'tz knowz yorrz!" Laertia chuckled, forcing her away with a shove and springing forward...

The ravages of the ice world scattered snow about the two combatants.

Laertia, bruised and bloody and burned on the left side of her face by her opponent's handprint. Her black armor was nearly totaled. It was freezing.

She didn't care. There was only the opponent. Only the blades...

Only the hatred.

Syd stood opposite her, nearly immaculate in her white and gold catsuit, the snow merely turning to steam as she floated opposite. She looked deeply distressed as she angled both her orange blades at Laertia.

"Please don't do this...I...I know how furious you must be...and you have every right to be...but this doesn't have to end in blood."

Laertia said nothing, instead reactivating a strange, silvery curved lightsaber with a purple blade...

...and then proceeded to attack Syd in every style she knew...

Laertia snapped out of the glimpse of her future just in time to miss catching one of Syd's blades.

Laertia refused to show a pain response to the stinging welt on her thigh as she charged forward.

"I'dz needz backkuppz. Duh verry besst."

"I would be happy to accompany you." Syd offered.

Laertia, not understanding it was a vision of the future due to her brain damage, thinking it merely some misfire of worn and frayed neurons, but deeply unsettled all the same, tried to dismiss whatever she had seen.

She was starting to like Syd. As much as Laertia was loathe to admit any two bladed technique to be superior to a single blade, she was at least willing to admit Syd's approach put her on more equal footing with most duelists.

Emphasis on most.

Laertia was also having difficulty ignoring how much they were in the same boat. The boat for Fringe Killing Machines.

Plus, she could not figure it out, as she was hopelessly unskilled on the subject, but an Echani, skilled in their culture's methods of etiquette, would have left the room.

Laertia shut off her lightsaber, conceeding the match.

"I accepptz."

Syd smiled more widely this time, shutting off her own blades and rejoining them.

"So glad to hear that. We should begin our investigation tomorrow. We'll have to pick a site. I've never been to Midvinter before..."

Laertia only smiled nervously, the very deepest part of her mind recoiling at Syd's smile.

"You heading back to your ship?"

"Nah, gonna meddytaytez."

"I see...I'll leave you too it...Thank you for the Match." Syd nodded, floating and phasing through a wall after bowing.

Laertia got on both knees and closed her eyes, trying to center herself.

(Exit post)

Elise

As they walked the grounds of the Silver Rest without any particular destination in mind, Thurion rather enjoyed the company of someone so unlike anyone back home. Midvinter was filled to the brim with incredibly brave and ferocious warriors, but career soldiers the likes of the Gunnery Sergeant was something to behold. There was a craziness to the man's eyes, one he hoped was only ever let loose upon the enemy.

Though he supposed it was equally effective against raw recruits.

"Spoken like a true soldier," the older of the two men chuckled. "I see now why my son and you get along so well. Thirdas was always a reckless child, didn't make friends easily. I imagine a little recklessness goes a long way in your line of work, though."

That wild ruggedness in Tulan was no doubt what his youngest had been drawn to from the start.

"You know, I've seen a lot of battlefields over the decades. What you said back there, about Jedi waging war... Never once have I enjoyed taking lives, but because I've been forced to so many times, I've only gotten better at it. Back when I led the Order I believed, as I do now, that each person should be given a chance at redemption before their lifeforce is forever snuffed out."

As they exited the temple and stepped out onto the courtyard, his gaze lifted to the bright sun.

"As a Jedi, I was taught to promote peace and wisdom wherever my road takes me. However, I also believe in fighting to protect what you hold dear, be it a place, a people, or even an idea. So, I've sent good men to their deaths. Those same men's faces are the price you pay for leadership, Gunnery Sergeant."

It was a subject he'd rarely discussed with anyone, until now. Perhaps he did so feeling that the career soldier would know what he was talking about.

"I too have been a soldier all my life. And as a father, having to watch your children follow in your footsteps by picking up the sword is equally heartbreaking as it is a source of pride. I am however... glad, that Thirdas have found a purpose here with his brothers-in-arms."

He stopped and turned to the NCO, extending his hand.

"Thank you, Tulan. For giving him a second home. A second family."

"You don't gain ground without taking it from someone else. Everyone who picks up a gun knows violence goes both ways. The Jedi want to pretend that their way works."

He turned to look (up) at the Jedi.

"And that's why half the galaxy is under the Sith. Because the Jedi forgot what it meant to protect people. That sometimes the best way to protect someone, is to kill someone else."

He tapped his foot, crossing his arms as he walked. He extended his own hand, shaking that big man's hand happily. The few times that Tulan didn't mind when someone was touching him.

"The war don't end with our sons, Thurion. A lot more families are gonna lose their kids if we want anything close to peace in our time. Thirdas knows that, and I think you do too. I wouldn't have it any other way."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom