Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retrained and Reforged (Tempest)

[member="Valiens Nantaris"], [member="Tempest"]

matrix-gun-rack-o.gif

The door to the armoury was made of Graphite Reinforced durasteel, making it highly resistant to even a missile. Unless it was open, access required typing a password into a console and the corridor leading to it was monitored by cameras. A large, spacious training hall lay adjacent to it. There was enough hardware inside the armoury to equip a tin pot dictator's praetorian guard. Siobhan was sitting at the workbench that was situated in the centre of the armoury surrounded by walls of racks full of swords, blasters, rifles, shotguns, grenade launchers and various other pieces of absurdly destructive military hardware.

It was the Galactic Rifle Association's wet dream, though it was doubtful that any of those gun nuts would actually be able to properly utilise these beautiful death dealers. After all, most were inadequate manlings! No, these beauties needed the touch of a woman.

Mark One and Mark Two Bolters filled half the far wall next to racks of shattervolleyguns and a pair of portable repeating blasters. To her right a mortar was resting on the floor besides crates of grenades and a flamethrower and handguns of various types were lined up to her left in shelving that reached to the ceiling. It was like a shrine for the goddesses of war.

"Oh, they're so pretty," Siobhan declared happily, her voice thick with emotion. There were few things in the world she loved as much as inanimate objects that allowed her to cause carnage. Well, except shoes, pretty dresses, Mirien, her daughters and Tegaea! But you could not help love the bulky perfection of a well-oiled bolt pistol. Or the elegant poetry of an APEB round tearing through the helmet of a Sith and blowing his face off, spilling his blood and brain matter across the ground.

She checked her chronometre and noted with a frown that Tempest was running a bit late. They had stuff to do. Like, working on the girl's training and improving the arsenal. Ah, well, she'd probably have a good explanation. Like the fact that she was 'familiarising the new sergeant with her duties'. Her eyes turned to the old, sturdy, but rather battered beskar'gam that lay spread out on the bench. She ran her hands over the suit with exaggerated reverence, as if she were touching a sacred relic in a Temple of Ashira.

Tempest

Storm of the Force
[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"]

Tempest was not a vain person, but as she pulled up to the door she checked her reflection in a small mirror she’d brought with her. Licking her finger she tried to remove the dull red smudge. It would not budge, so she turned up her collar to try and hide it as she keyed the code and entered.

“Sorry I’m late,” she said to Siobhan. Her eyes swept the room. “We going hunting?” she asked, puzzled by the endless racks of weapons. She appreciated weapons for what they did for her, but did not love them for themselves. In that way she differed from Siobhan.

[member="Tempest"]

"Nice lipstick. I like Envy. Glad to see Sergeant Dorne has good taste," Siobhan said knowingly, smirking at Tempest. She got up from the bench and limped towards the Dahomian, kissing her deeply. Presumably this caused more lipstick to spill over before the Countess pulled away.

"It's not a hunting trip now. I want to get some work done on my armour though. It's served me well, but has taken lots of beatings. I may salvage the materiel and have a new one made. But for now, I'd like to work on your training a bit, darling."

Tempest

Storm of the Force

Tempest coughed slightly. “Yes, the interview went well,” she said briskly. She wondered briefly if this was training or training. The presence of weapons seemed to indicate this would be helping her abilities with the Force though.

“What did you have in mind?” she asked, looking at the Beskar. She’d probably like to do the same with hers.

[member="Tempest"]

"Getting you frustrated, hot and sweaty, then ravishing you," Siobhan said with a completely straight before chuckling. She probably thought she was being tremendously witty, which she wasn't.

"You've progressed very well with lightning and telekinesis, so I believe we should round out your skill set a bit. Specifically defensive powers such as Force-based barriers, along with dark healing. I'm very good with the first and proficient enough with the second."

Tempest

Storm of the Force
Tempest blinked, then realised that Siobhan was joking. For now. When it was time to hit the showers…well…the curtain of PG-13 might well descend!

As for the present, she nodded eagerly. “I would like that a lot, Siobhan. I have always given mind to attack most of all, and defence only as an afterthought, I would like to change.”

The prospect of learning new skills made her feel better, something new was always good!

[member="Tempest"]

Siobhan liked training people. Well, if they were pretty women, at any rate. Especially if they were eager and she felt like they were in awe of her. Yes, she was terribly vain these days. So her behaviour won Tempest brownie points. Even though the Dahomian had not gushed about how the leather skirt hugged Siobhan's perfect arse!

"Glad to hear it, sweetie. Being offensive-minded is a good thing, but defence is still essential. Remember that you're more agile and acrobatic than I am. It's something you can use to your advantage. We'll start with Force protection. Drain life is a bit more...difficult to train in, though fortunately we have a couple prisoners no one's gonna miss since they're on the death row anyway."

That was totally a normal thing to say. Well, they were darksiders, so it probably constituted a normal conversation. "I'll have to expose you to it before you can use it properly yourself and that'll be unpleasant. Anyhow, you can use the Force to summon a powerful barrier to protect yourself against conventional and Force attacks. However, it'll break under too much pressure. There's several types you should be aware of. The first is using telekinetic power as an invisible barrier."

"Basically a shield of 'no, I'm not getting hit'. You envisage a shield protecting your body and blocking attacks. It's simple, but suffices for most situations. Then there's tutaminis. Whereas a telekinetic shield is about an attack being blocked before it hits your body, this is about energy absorption. You channel Force energies to dissipate blaster bolts, lightning, fire and so on. Some folks can block a lightsabre with their bare hand, but nine times out of ten you'll burn off your fingers in the process. With enough skill, you can absorb energy to fuel your own attacks, but there's a limit to what your body can assimilate."

Damn, this was lots of talking. "Word of warning, tutaminis is useless against kinetic projectiles or concussive force. You can absorb fire, but if someone shoots you with an APE round or throws a Force Push, you better try a barrier or dodge. Then there's Protection Bubble. That's just a beefed up, longer-ranged TK shield. You conjure up a large protective sphere around yourself."

"It's very energy-intensive, renders you immobile, but you can survive a bullet from an anti-materiel rifle or a thermal detonator explosion. Fun fact, you can use it offensively by surrounding an attacker in it and make them a victim of their own attack. Lastly, I've seen some some Sith surround themselves in a static barrier created by lightning. I have...little clue how that works. Seems terribly risky."

In TOR, static barrier granted the not!Inquisitor near-invincibility for its duration. This made very little sense. Especially since an electrical barrier would logically not protect against concussive force, but this writer digresses. Using it to protect your heart would cause heart attack.

Tempest

Storm of the Force
“Okay…let’s start with the normal barrier. I guess you’ll throw something at me and I’ll try and block it?” she asked. She knew how training sessions with Siobhan tended to go!

Telekinesis she knew well enough, it was focusing it into a wall of invisible energy which she had not used much.

At first she tried, but with little success, but finally she reckoned she had a barrier ready.
“Okay, go. Uhh…something not too hard or sharp, please,” she said, wincing. She was not at all confident of her ability to stop things first go.

[member="Tempest"]

"Exactly, I'm gonna throw things at you! No need to worry," Siobhan said reassuringly. It probably didn't sound like it. So she gave Tempest time until it seemed the Dahomian had a barrier ready.

Then Siobhan used space magic to lift rocks. Lots of rocks. All of them were quite small, but they'd fly through the air at great speed and come at Tempest from many different angles, bombarding her with enough force to put pressure on her shield.

Tempest

Storm of the Force
“Wait…rocks…not the rock-,” she began, but then the barrage had begun.
The first one, flying straight in, she managed to block that. Easy.
The second, her danger sense only just picked up in time, and she sort of half shielded and half push-deflected it away.
The third she didn’t see coming from her other side and hit her hard in the ribs.
The fourth she barely sensed and tried to block, but it smacked her hard in the chest and knocked her to the ground.
The fifth smacked into her knee as she tried to get up, and she put up her hands to stop herself falling flat.

“Enough, enough! Red!” she called. Safewords worked in real training too, right?

“Okay…that didn’t work so well,” she said, robbing her leg ruefully.

[member="Tempest"]

Yes, the rocks! Siobhan liked throwing those. Sometimes having a TK Goddess as your teacher was rather hazardous. "You'll get better. The only true teacher is experience and pain," Siobhan said piously. "You've got the strength, you need to use it. Be mindful of your environment. Recreate the barrier. Envisage a sphere protecting you and wrap it around yourself. Don't try, do it. Block the rocks like a dam would a stream of water. The Force bends to your commands, if you want it enough." The Force was a tool, nothing more.

"It is best not to stretch yourself too thin. The barrier will weaken, no matter how good it is. You'll need the energy to reinforce it and close the cracks." Tempest would have a brief moment of time to recover and try forming a stronger barrier, then Siobhan would bombard her with rocks again.

Tempest

Storm of the Force
Tempest managed to get herself upright again, glaring a bit at Siobhan. She’d show her!

But when the rocks started flying again her attempts were less passive, and more aggressive. She met the oncoming rocks with concentrated telekinetic blasts. It was not a solid barrier, and so she was soon hit again, and again, and again.

Finally when a rock knocked her sprawling again, a cut across her forehead, she finally understood. Defence was about…well…defence. She could not attack in order to defend always.

This revelation, probably brought on by mild concussion, made her stagger upright, eyes meeting Siobhan.

“Again,” she said with steely gaze.

[member="Tempest"]

"Defence is defence," Siobhan was apparently in the mood to play Captain Obvious. "If you try to push yourself into attack while also trying to shield yourself, you'll spread yourself thin." Lecture completed, she went right back to raining down rocks upon Tempest.

To pose more of a challenge, Siobhan had dialled up the speed and force of the rocks. They weren't hypervelocity stones because she really didn't want Tempest to end up in hospital, but they would test her apprentice's shield nicely. Any bruise suffered in training might mean one less limb lost in combat. This one senses an upcoming training montage!

Tempest

Storm of the Force
Operational Health and Safety seemed to not be a thing which Firemane had policies for. Still, it was better to do things this way than coddle until the actual fighting gave a fatal lesson.

Tempest for her part had never really been too much into the Force as its own thing. Rather she had always viewed it as merely one more tool. A weapon by which she might fulfil her goals. And yet….

She closed her eyes as the rocks came for her, not to avoid seeing the impact, but to focus. Time seemed to slow and she found she could perceive the rocks arcing towards her. Now, fully connected with the Force and focused on more than merely attacking she embraced the defensive.

A shield of the Force appeared around her and the rocks bounced off as if they’d hit a solid wall. The impacts did test her, but now she knew, now she had the power to resist them.

When finally the rocks stopped and her shield was still intact, she opened her eyes. She peered at Siobhan. Why were there two of her?

“I…can do it. You’re a great teacher…both of you,” she mumbled, holding her head. “Think I need a rest…” she said, slipping to the ground gently and resting her head on a rock. “Tea, could you get me some Siobhan?” she asked in the dazed way of the concussed.

[member="Tempest"]

Presumably Firemane medics were well-paid and used to patching Company employees up after training accidents! It probably happened a lot. Regardless, Tempest figured it out and hit the bullseye.

"Both of us? Darling, you can have all the Siobhans you want," Siobhan joked cornily, but then her lips curled into a smile. "I'm so proud of you, sweetie. Rest." Having said that she vacated the training room, returning a couple minutes later with a steaming cup of tea. "It's hot. Don't drink too hastily. You did well," she patted Tempest on the shoulder and gave her a kiss. "How many Siobhans do you see now?"

Tempest

Storm of the Force
Tea had the ability to revive even the most bruised body and mind, especially if it was the special tea grown by the Eldorai priestesses.
After a few moment Tempest started to come to, and stop seeing double.

“Only one, I guess that’ll have to do,” she said with a fake pout.

She considered the recent events. “Hey…I did it!” she said, sounding amazed.

[member="Tempest"]

"Yep, you did, dear!" Siobhan said enthusiastically, giving Tempest a loose hug. "You see, you have the power and the strength. You can accomplish so many things with the Force. Especially if you're not held back by outdated, blind dogma."

It would not be a Siobhan-led training thread if she didn't find an excuse to mock Jedi doctrine. A feeling of pride swelled up inside her, for Tempest's success made her happy. It brought home that the Dahomian had come a long way. "Catch your breath, drink you tea. I brought you some biscuits! When you're ready, we'll graduate to tutaminis."

Tempest

Storm of the Force
Tempest did like her biscuits, and so after nibbling on one and sipping her tea she started to brighten up.
“If I didn’t know what that meant, I’d be a little concerned. It sounds like a skin condition,” Tempest said, giggling slightly. She was feeling a bit more light headed than usual still. “Doctor, I’ve got a bad case of the tutaminis,” she said, chuckling a bit more, laying back.

“Right…I’ll be ready soon.”

[member="Tempest"]

"Well, you may get a skin condition if things go poorly," Siobhan remarked helpefully. "I learnt tutaminis by being set on fire. But since I'm a nice person and like you, I won't do that. Good news? No more rocks. Bad news? Instead there's lots of blaster bolts and lightning."

Operational Health and Safety called. They'd like to have a word with Firemane! Alas, Siobhan dismissed their claims and probably seduced the inspector into becoming a compliant pleasure slave.

Tempest

Storm of the Force
Tempest peered up. “Can I at least put my armour on before you start shooting me…or use stun bolts or something?”

This couldn’t be safe, could it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom