Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestion Require Big Factory Subs To Have Dev Threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadpoolMLP

Too many characters, I have
I'd be curious what "big" means in this context. I joined after the dev thread revolution, and I've always been one to just sub stuff for the sake of having a record of what it does rather than doing it for any in character justification for it existing.

I'd be curious what "big" means in this context

judge discretion, we as a community would be placing a lot of authority and trust in our FJs

I joined after the dev thread revolution

most people did, including the current Codex/Factory Admins.

Dev thread introduction was a Cira/Tef production waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when. It's too old to really listen to comparisons from anyone other than like, some of the old Admins. But most of us don't care, rule creation back in those days was very "throw stuff against the wall" as we all had zero experience doing this.

I haven't been around long enough to understand dev threads, and how they killed writing interest in the past, before they were removed. But I was here when they were pitched as an option. The idea was to have them there for people who wanted to use them as a way to bolster their writing, not as a requirement.

If we make them a requirement, even just for one thing, that can be a slippery slope that eventually ends with them being made a requirement for everything. It wouldn't happen in an instant. Probably not even within the span of a few months. But we're already talking about making them a requirement for one thing, when they were pitched as something that wouldn't ever be required only a week ago.

Maybe I'm just a jerk who doesn't trust in the admin team, or our factory judges. (Not what I'm trying to come off as.) But if we're already suggesting to make them a requirement for something, after only a week, then we'll do it again. And again. Until every factory submission requires one.

I haven't been around long enough to understand dev threads, and how they killed writing interest in the past, before they were removed. But I was here when they were pitched as an option. The idea was to have them there for people who wanted to use them as a way to bolster their writing, not as a requirement.

If we make them a requirement, even just for one thing, that can be a slippery slope that eventually ends with them being made a requirement for everything. It wouldn't happen in an instant. Probably not even within the span of a few months. But we're already talking about making them a requirement for one thing, when they were pitched as something that wouldn't ever be required only a week ago.

Maybe I'm just a jerk who doesn't trust in the admin team, or our factory judges. (Not what I'm trying to come off as.) But if we're already suggesting to make them a requirement for something, after only a week, then we'll do it again. And again. Until every factory submission requires one.

we're pretty good at avoiding the slippery slope, but I do agree with most of this.

You should definitely just not say "I'm a jerk who doesn't trust the Admin team or FJs" if you're not. Definitely seems like you definitely are and you're just kept typing and accidentally said the quiet part out loud but couldn't help yourself.

Either way it's totally okay to have that stance, lol. It's not a rule break.

we're pretty good at avoiding the slippery slope, but I do agree with most of this.

You should definitely just not say "I'm a jerk who doesn't trust the Admin team or FJs" if you're not. Definitely seems like you definitely are and you're just kept typing and accidentally said the quiet part out loud but couldn't help yourself.

Either way it's totally okay to have that stance, lol. It's not a rule break.
If that were the case, I wouldn't have specifically mentioned that that's not how I want to come off. I only added that because I understand that with the way I've phrased my stance, it can seem like that's how I feel. I have had, literally, 0 issue with the Factory/Codex staff here.

But if you want to interpret my words differently than how I meant them, that's your choice. All I can do is tell you what I actually meant, and hope you choose to believe me.

Hopefully you and others can now see the social cue attentive people might have of, "HEY, WAIT, why did that guy just say he doesn't murder people?

I kinda feel like he does."
narrows eyes. You're pretty sure I don't but you're also left wondering why I mentioned it. Was Tef just being funny...

But if not thats fine too. I wouldn't sweat this suggestion too much, you'll probably get one or two guys in here who wanna stir the pot and think I'm on their side of the issue, but really we're just having discussions. Much like you could assume I'm a murderer for bringing it up out of nowhere, the implication of an Administrator posting a suggestion leads people to believe this is an actual change that's coming.

I'm pretty much against the suggestion myself, but I don't usually explain this because sometimes its better to just not say things that lead to more questions that only serve to satisfy curiosity.

Similar to full-sending "I trust the admins but I know I seem like I don't trust the admins", it's just something I don't say aloud usually.

Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist
Dev threads were fun in the past, Cira and you might have made them... Jon helped minorly refine them and I never really had an issue doing them. IF you want something a little effort for it. Never a hard thing as it also helped work out the kinks if there was potential for abuse. You could see how they came up in RP itself or realize how broken you might have made something.

Plus when you were changing production of rarer items it could show effort and how IC it was being done to make more of them.

I don't not trust the factory team & staff, but I do not trust people to not second-guess themselves eventually and start turning "please do a dev thread" into a more common-than-not part of the factory/codex/whatever judgment process in order to avoid accidentally approving something that may or may not toe close to whatever nebulous imaginary line it is that would require a dev thread from the factory admin's POV. I don't need to have a back-and-forth about slippery slopes to point out that to this day factory judges still leave their approval messages with tongue-in-cheek (and sometimes a bit less jokingly) "if this is abused it'll get pulled out"-type notes.

Particularly given the suggestion from a couple weeks ago was specifically with the caveat of they shouldn't be required.

However, in spite of the fact that I disagree that development threads are necessary to make a submission viable, I'm not going to argue about it until I'm blue in the face. If this is a mechanical change to push people into doing more threads for whatever reason then just rip the band-aid off lol. As long as I'm not going to be expected to write a thread in entirely iambic pentameter again to use songsteel (or somehow win a duel with a PC mandalorian to use Beskar) or something I'll just be more sparing with what I actually submit to the factory.

I still believe they should be entirely optional. You don't feel pride and accomplished when you finish something you were forced to do when you don't want to. You feel relieved that it's over, so you can focus on setting up the sub you actually want to make.

The people who feel pride about developing their ideas before subbing will do it without some weird requirement for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom