Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestion Remove Ally Limits

Hello Chaos!

One of the topics brought up in major faction owner channel was Ally Rules. As of now, site staff has suspended them in the hopes of coming up with a resolution that works.

I'd like to toss my own thoughts out into the wild for the community's consideration:

ALLY RULE

When an invasion is announced, characters that are not members of the participants may request to join as Allies. Joining on the side of a participant is subject to that side's approval and requires a formal request in the OOC.

There is no limit to the number of allies a faction can approve for participation.

Entities wishing to join as a third party will require approval from both participants.

RATIONALE

Prior to the suspension of ally rules, one of two things happened:

1. A faction would lean on a Mandate to increase their ally count.

2. Factions would have their intended allies join their faction directly to count as an actual member, and thereby not impact an ally count.

To make any sort of ally limitations "work" would mean to impose restrictions on faction membership. We would need to police when exactly a writer joins a faction in the hopes of preventing them from circumventing the ally rule. Suggestions of a "favorite faction" on the biography, or "wear the flair of your faction to count" have been floated - but ultimately, I find suggestions that require policing a waste of time. Why?

Because allies don't win invasions. Story does. Writer count doesn't win invasions. Story does. If nothing else, Invasion Season 2020 has proven that member population or character count in a thread will not determine the outcome of the thread. Five writers with a solid narrative can beat 30 any day.

So why jump through hoops at all?

Let's unrestrict allies and let Chaos reign.

Oh man I prefer this tenfold.

This leaves allies up to the two factions and when one faction thinks there's enough allies they can start saying no.

My issue is right, what's to say a smaller faction won't refuse an ally spot to say, Thurion Heavenshield or Carnifex or one of the bigger writers like that who've proven time and time again they're amazing at invasions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom