Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removal of Force Powers from the Character Template

[member="Chupa La'Roi"]

I absolutely agree that lists are very practical when looking for a teacher.

The important part is that listing all your character's known Force powers *is no longer a rule* - anyone who still wants to do it can and is in no way discouraged in doing so. This changes nothing but the fact that people who do not want to list all their capabilities with the Force, or simply don't like to classify them under groups and names, can now omit this and not have their character bio as either invalid, or their character being without any knowledge of the application of Force at all, as could be interpreted from the now-obsolete rule.

This change doesn't limit or restrict anything; it only opens up new possibilities. When and if people choose to abuse it is a matter that can and probably should be solved on a case-by-case basis.

Lux said:
[member="Chupa La'Roi"]

This change doesn't limit or restrict anything; it only opens up new possibilities. When and if people choose to abuse it is a matter that can and probably should be solved on a case-by-case basis.
Removing the need to make a Force list opens up new possibilities just as much as removing a door from its hinges "brings more air into the room".

Now we can make decisions about:

• Removing equipment lists: Do we really need to know how many guns you own?
  • Removing ship stats: Ships go pew pew. Nuff said, am I right?!
  • Removing biographies: 8 paragraphs about how your parents met? SNORE.
  • Removing names: Now we can say, "Hey, you!" and mean anyone!
  • Removing avatars: Now we can all be pretty-faced characters....IN THE EMPTY VOID OF GRAY

My point wasn't "We should make Force lists essential or required." My point was, "As long as we are even having a discussion about Force abilities, let's acknowledge the idea that, with Masterhood of a Force User, a writer should be able to post 1 Force Ability in a special Codex that their character has created/mastered that only they know, that requires special approval from a specific moderator with no Faction Affiliations, and requires the Master Character to train a certain number of lower-ranking members before approval."

Chupa La'Roi said:
Removing the need to make a Force list opens up new possibilities just as much as removing a door from its hinges "brings more air into the room".

Now we can make decisions about:

• Removing equipment lists: Do we really need to know how many guns you own?
  • Removing ship stats: Ships go pew pew. Nuff said, am I right?!
  • Removing biographies: 8 paragraphs about how your parents met? SNORE.
  • Removing names: Now we can say, "Hey, you!" and mean anyone!
  • Removing avatars: Now we can all be pretty-faced characters....IN THE EMPTY VOID OF GRAY

My point wasn't "We should make Force lists essential or required." My point was, "As long as we are even having a discussion about Force abilities, let's acknowledge the idea that, with Masterhood of a Force User, a writer should be able to post 1 Force Ability in a special Codex that their character has created/mastered that only they know, that requires special approval from a specific moderator with no Faction Affiliations, and requires the Master Character to train a certain number of lower-ranking members before approval."
I feel like that would be an interesting idea. Not necessarily for the staff to do, but an unofficial list like how we list canon item owners would be a good way to start.

[member="Chupa La'Roi"] you're blowing this out of proportion, and your underlying argument (if I'm reading this correctly) is basically that people will be able to have any and all Force powers they choose - which they could from the start, lists or no. If someone power-games, it is probably still handled the same way, regardless of what they wrote on their character bio (which is not moderated).

The point [member="Tefka"] made was that the Force is by its nature mysterious and difficult to categorise; sure, the Jedi and the Sith (and other Force cultures) likely have a few names, but you can't name, categorise and grade every single thing the Force allows one to do. Things you pointed out in comparison are not; for instance, even if your ship was built by a private contractor whom you later killed so nobody knows its specifics, the specifics are still there and more or less set in stone (or metal XD) at least until you upgrade it. Names may change, but people generally go by one, at least for a time. Nowhere in the biography part does it say you have to write about your parents; I don't think most do anyway, they seem to focus on what made their characters into what they are today (which I perceive to be the point of the section). As for avatars... they are not mandatory; anyone who wants to can have an empty grey void - not that many would, as we try to get cool pretty pictures for our characters instead. And guess what, those pictures can show as much or as little as we want; kinda like lists of Force powers: if you want one, you make one. If not, you instead describe what your character has so far been capable of in a less categorised way.

Don't get me wrong, I still have my list of Force powers on my Force-user character, if for no other reason for reference. I'm just saying you should loosen up and allow the administration to delegate more freedom to the players if they so choose; not every leniency is the beginning of an impending downfall.

Nice idea for the Master's unique power though, you could develop that and explain some more :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom