Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Religion is the opium of the people

In the Darkness there is Truth
[member="Illyria"]

In other words, if Sumiko was the unrepentantly evil, non-military, intellectual version of Siobhan, then Illyria was the mirror of Kaida. Both seemed to have similar views on discipline and punishment. They also shared a similar contempt for sheep. Such a shame they could not be friends and bond over disliking pompous witches who loved being fawned over. They would have made such a coute couple. Anyhow, on with the plot.

Sumiko considered her Apprentice's words, then nodded. "Wise counsel. You've dealt with these beasts, so I'll accept it. They have outlived their usefulness. I can use their extermination to bind the cult even more strongly to me. It will be an appropriate test for those in the cult who are actually useful as fighters." Sumiko had no desire to play heroine all the time, so she would turn the Militia of Uriel into a force that could actually do its job.

Illyria

The Pale Death of the Eldorai
[member="Sumiko Tanaka"]
“It’ll make them more useful long-term if they know how to fight. We can strike at them when they are unprepared and slaughter the beasts,” Illyria said with something almost reaching passion in her voice.

“The Bando Gora have likely withdrawn to a haunt more hidden after their defeat. I will track them, but I will need one of the cultists who know the area.”
It could be a useful opportunity to give her one of the initiates she was to eventually train.

[member="Illyria"]

It was always good when her Apprentice was agreeable and even enthusiastic. Or at least as enthusiastic as someone as stoic as Illyria could be. "There's a Mon Cal by the name of Nur Jahan. She's a street rat who knows this district well. Take the fish with you. She showed some effort during the attack instead of crying and hiding," Sumiko responded.

The fish girl continued the proud Mon Cal tradition of being named after Mughuls. In her case she was the namesake of a famous Mughul empress. So obviously one could expect great things from her. Sumiko had sensed a lot of anger in the girl..and untapped potential.

Illyria

[member="Sumiko Tanaka"]

“I’ll dive right in and find the gill-ty.” Stop the presses, Illyria told a joke, and a pun! Something had happened, possibly clones or mind control….

Either way, she found the female Mon Cal in the corner of the makeshift meeting hall.
“Sister Jahan? I am Sister Illyira. The Revered Brother and Sister Sakura said you knew this area of the city well. To stop the onslaught of these monsters they want us to locate their den so they can be stopped.”
It almost made her gag to act like such a well-meaning naïve. However, she persevered.

[member="Illyria"]

Once you go down the pun side of the Force, forever it will dominate your destiny. Illyria would not be able to resist its pull...muhahaha. Anyhow, she soon ran into the fish girl. Is it racist to refer to Mon Cal that way? Eh, whatever.

"Aye, I know the docks well. I grew up there before these monsters came. It will be an honour to help wipe them out. The infidels must all be slain and tossed into burning hellfire," Nur Jahan said fervently, with fire in her amphibian eyes. Poor Illyria would have to train the remarkable specimen that was a true believer. "Come, Sister in Uriel."

Illyria

[member="Sumiko Tanaka"]
Needless to say her experience with the Eldorai and then away from them with such cynics as Shadow and Sumiko had shaped Illyria’s perception subtly. Many might have seen fanaticism or burning loyalty as a virtue, but she saw it only as a millstone to weigh down someone. She was not fanatical about anything and her loyalty to Sumiko was one of respect rather than devotion.

Thus, it was with a raised eyebrow that she listened to Nur Jahan.
“Lead the way, sister in Uriel,” she said dryly.

The fish was agile and led them swiftly down into the warren of alleys and byways under the streets. Illyria noticed the gang signs. It was only when Nur Jahan made to turn back after showing Illyria one of the many hideouts that their stalkers emerged.

From the shadows, several gang members walked out. Illyria could sense that there were others watching.
“What’s a fish and an elf doing down here? Perhaps this is one of them amazing journeys, eh?”
“Get out of my path or I will kill you all,” she said flatly.
Perhaps offended that they had not replied to his witty repartee, the leader pointed a finger at her. “Fine, but you’re going to regret this.”
Illyria could have made a snide retort like ‘Not as much as you’. But she’d long learned you can either fight or muck about.
He lost his arm at the elbow as her lightsabre flared to life and sliced. “Kill them,” she ordered the Mon Cal. The fish would get to prove herself or die. It was the best kind of training.

[member="Illyria"]

"May purity prevail!" A battle cry leapt from Nur Jahan's tongue when battle ensued. It was doubtful that the Mon Cal was aware of her preternatural gifts. If she utilised them in combat, then she did so in a passive way without conscious thought.

But she'd gone through the school of hard knocks on Nar Shaddaa, even though her path had sadly led her into the embrace of a cult run by a conceited con man, and she failed to notice her folly. One of the thugs thrust the tip of his blade towards her chest, aiming to stab her heart, but she parried the stroke. Thrown off balance, he was helpless to her counterattack and her blade drove through the criminal's gorget in his throat. He gurgled, bled and died.

The Mon Cal felt...a feeling exaltation, for she had slain a sinner. Something akin to bloodlust overcame her. Feeling excited, she withdrew her vibrosword and swung at another gangster. One scored a cut across her thigh, but this awakened her rage and she clove through him. However, then she was suddenly grabbed from behind and slammed into a wall. Ouch. Knocked off balance and thrown into a daze, her blade fell from her grasp.

The thug raised a blaster pistol, but just a moment before the red-hot kill bolt leapt out of the muzzle, she felt...a sensation. It was as if an invisible force was commanding her to rally herself and move to the side. The bolt impacted upon the wall and she pounced her attacker, tryng to tear the gun from his hand. Both wrestled for control, locked in a struggle, before Nur Jahan jabbed a clawed finger into the thug's right eye. He cried out in pain, she threw in a kick, took the gun and shot him dead.

Illyria

[member="Sumiko Tanaka"]
It did not last long. With an insouciance bordering on arrogance, Illyria did not even give her opponents the benefit of her attention. Casually she deflected blaster bolts, cutting down those who got too close.
One, a giant Gamorrean, she used her power to constrict his armour’s collar so that it choked the creature even when she went elsewhere. Eventually the brutish, choking squeals ended when she had taken enough and spiked her blazing blade through its head.

The fish had done well. There was potential there.
“Uriel is with you, there is great potential in you,” she commented. Was she showing off to Nur Jahan? Possibly. Pride was her sin of choice, and she indulged in that often.

“Come, we will continue the survey. These base creatures will not trouble us again, nor their confederates.”

[member="Illyria"]

The thugs were all dead. Nur Jahan felt no remorse, for they deserved to die. Indeed, by killing them, she had saved them, for they could no longer stain their soul with sin. Now they would be purified in burning hellfire.

She holstered the gangster's blaster pistol, then proceeded to retrieve ammunition and a vibroknife from the corpse before she took her vibroblade into her clawed, webbed hand. Her google-like eyes fell upon Illyria and she smiled slightly.

"It is my greatest desire to serve the Lord of Light," she said piously. Did she look just a little awed by Illyria's display? Perhaps. She had seen the pale woman deflect blaster bolts with her laser sword and bring death to infidels without touching them. "Sister Illyria, you display great...power. Uriel must have blessed you. How did you learn this power?" she asked carefully as they proceeded onward.

The Mon Cal seemed to know exactly where to go, leading the way. Passing flophouses and abandoned shops, they were getting closer to Bando Gora territory. How could they tell? Well, the signs would become fairly blatant. Eventually, they'd happen upon heads on pikes. Moreover, here and there 'blood for the blood god' had been written on walls. Predictably by using blood. The Mon Cal looked disgusted at such blasphemous acts.

Illyria

[member="Sumiko Tanaka"]
“Not from a Jedi,” Illyria commented. References, always more references.

“I sense the power inside you, Nur Jahan. At the moment it is untapped, raw. I can make it refined. I can help make you strong. Is not Uriel’s command for us to teach?”
Cults were so much easier in a galaxy where there really WERE magical powers and telepathy.

She examined the Bando Gora signs with distaste, though not because of the blood. No, crudity offended her. Lack of flair and artistic skill disgusted her.
“These creatures are as vile as they are savage. Let’s continue our scouting.”

[member="Illyria"]

It was indeed a curious question what the common pleb thought of the Force. Logically, only a fraction of the Galaxy's population had ever met a Jedi or a Sith and would have received little education about the Force. Ergo it stood to reason that the ability to move objects with your mind, heal grievous wounds by touch, shoot lightning from your fingertips or communicate via telepathy would appear like magic to many, especially the underprivileged.

Nur Jahan looked awed. "I have this gift in me as well? Are you certain? I am a bit overwhemned. I would be honoured to learn from you," she said piously. Her expression showed disgust when she saw the blasphemous signs of the Bando Gora. "Sickening savages. They all deserve to burn," There was venom in her tone. It sounded personal.

It did not take long before they came across more crude signs of the Bando Gora's presence. Nur Jahan pulled Illyria into cover behind a dumpster as she spotted thugs on patrol. Most of the guards looked like common riff-raff, but here and there you saw some cultists clad in dark armour decorated with blasphemous runes. Their eyes showed the corruption of the dark side and they wore grotesque helmets. "Bando Gora." Blasphemous sounds could be heard coming from outside a building.

Illyria

[member="Sumiko Tanaka"]
If there was a sort of Master who sought to connect with their student and provide a helpful and understanding atmosphere for their charges…Illyria was not it. To say she was impatient, arrogant and dismissive would be perhaps too strong, but she had no time for weakness.
“I will teach you, but it will not be an easy process. The path of the righteous is full of pitfalls. If you become my acolyte you will obey me implicitly and follow my commands. Only those who have mastered the power of Uriel can instruct those without it,” she said intently.

They hid from the creatures. Illyria was not interested in a fight, not yet anyway. She was happy to observe and scout out the locations.

[member="Illyria"]

"I would not have it any other way," Nur Jahan responded bluntly. "I will submit to any trials you deem necesssary and learn from you...as long as you remain true to Uriel." Was there a hint of suspicion her tone? Perhaps. After all, Illyria was new.

They sought to cover to avoid the attention of the Bando Gora savages. They could observe a good deal. Evidently the Chaos worshippers were not entirely stupid, because their new headquarters was quite heavily guarded. In addition to common guards, they also had Sithspawn guard dogs on patrol. Yes, mutated rotweilers.

However, it seemed the base was still a work in progress. Here and there, speeders would land, ferrying in supplies or slaves. Of course, inevitably a patrol would be heading towards where the two Covenanters had taken cover.

Illyria

[member="Sumiko Tanaka"]
Illyria was not satisfied, but nor could she push the matter further.
There was an opportunity here though. When faced with stubbornness like this, change the rules. Change what ‘true to Uriel’ meant.
Illyria’s cynical thoughts about Ashira made this path feel like she was back home.
‘Need to justify murder? Proclaim they were heretics! Need to drain your serfs dry? Claim it is religious indulgences to prevent hellfire!’
Needless to say Illyria was a little bit down on the Ashiran church. If she and Askari ever met there’d probably be an explosion from the polar opposites.

However, the new area was a large section of a block, separated from other buildings by open spaces leading to a maze of corridors. There were likely ten entrances and ten more bolt holes.

“Let’s go back. I think we’ve done all we can,” Illyria commented.

But then they heard one of the mutant animals begin to bark...the scent had been caught.

[member="Illyria"]

If Illyria became a bit less evil she might be able to become friends with Kaida. To say that the Angelii was a little bit down on the Ashiran church - or organised religion in general - was a tremendous understatement.

Regardless, their scent had been caught! The sound of barking mutant dogs filled the night air. The loud howls were soon joined by the noise of caused by Bando Gora guards swarming out to find the intruders, no doubt to drink their blood and devour their hearts, for such was the way of Chaotic Evil cultists.

"We've been spotted," Nur Jahan said needlessly. Maybe she was angling for the Captain Obvious award this week. To her credit, she kept her voice down, instead of drawing more attention. If she felt anxious, she did a good job controlling her nerves.

"Come with me. I know a shortcut through the maze." The old, long abandoned docks were almost like a labyrinthe, which might be why the Bando Gora had picked them as a hideout because it made it difficult to assault or besiege them.

Illyria

[member="Sumiko Tanaka"]

The beast was moving faster than any mere animal could. Its eyes glowed balefully as it pursued them. Swiftly, Illyria led Nur Jahan around a corner, causing the creature to slip slightly and have to follow them.
As it made to pounce around a corner at them, Illyria’s lightsabre activated, and the blade cleaved up through the roof of its mouth and into its brain. The wait drove Illyria almost to her knees, but she was able to pull her blade free.
As she did though the beast’s last action was to snap at her as it fell, piercing the skin on her forearm. Enraged, Illyria electrocuted the now dead beast with a blast of lightning…then hurried after the fish. The sound of cultists could be heard, and so they soon descended into the tunnels.

As they ran, Illyria cleaned the scratch on her arm and applied bacta to it, hoping that would counter any disease the creature might cause.

[member="Illyria"]

Yummy! It seemed that the mutated rotweiler and Sumiko had one thing in common: They both had a thing for Illyria's body.

As they ran, Nur Jahan felt as if a voice whispered in her air. It was like using a sixth sense you'd never known you possessed. Moving as if on automatism, she pulled out her blaster pistol, turned and fired. Two red-hot blaster bolts exited the muzzle, two bright flashes ended the life of a cultist. He went down like a sack of potatoes, crumpling to the ground. A look of concern crossed her face when she saw Illyria had been injured, but there was no time to waste.

Down into the tunnels they went. "The Bando Gora use dark magicks to poison their beast's fangs. You should let Sister Sakura look at that wound," the fish advised her fellow Sister in Uriel, once she was certain they'd lost their pursuers. So concerned and considerate, right?

Illyria

[member="Sumiko Tanaka"]

This writer has rolled, and to his frustration Illyria is going to be mostly unharmed.

“I will, later,” llyria said briskly. They had to get back there first.

The journey back was not too arduous though, and within the hour they had reached the cult’s hallowed halls to report their recon.

Unfortunately the Bando Gora would know their new base was discovered, but not necessarily by who or to what end.

[member="Illyria"]

While Illyria and Nur Jahan had pursued their scouting mission, 'Sister Sakura' had not been idle either. Instead, she'd gathered various high-ranking cultists inside one of the chambers of the improvised temple. Various important administrative matters had been discussed. In time, she would replace these underlings with minions who'd been moulded by her, but for now they would do.

"Within your spheres, you shall be my hands, eyes and ears. Responsible for the collection of tithes, the education of our brothers and sisters in the faith, the provision of social services and protection from the dark forces. I expect monthly progress reports. Alone we are weak. But together we are a legion of the Light. A great dam to stem the tide of darkness," she spoke softly.

"It is important that the education of the young begins as early as possible. We shall gather funds to build a special school for the most promising, along with a haven for orphans. An open mind is like a freshly tuned sod. Unless it is sown with the generous message of Uriel and the bonds of love, the insidious weed of heresy will take root. If any of our brethren stray, I must know, so that we return this lost sheep to the flock before it is devoured by the wolves and lost to Darkness forever. To this end, I shall personally direct the Truthseekers and the training of our Force-sensitive brethren."

She reached into her pocket and removed an ornate ring that emanated insidious power. "I toiled throughout the night to forge this item. After hours of meditation, the Lord of Light heard my prayers and imbued it with his power. I want every believer to carry one. It will not only provide a way of identification, but bring peace and clarity to their minds."

At this stage, there was a knock on the door. A white-robed cultist opened it and stepped inside, looking a bit hesitant. It was the young lass who serviced Brother Marcion. Seeing Sumiko, she bowed deeply. "I apologise for interrupting you, Dear Sister," she spoke submissively, "but Sister Illyria and Sister Nur Jahan have returned from their quest."

"Bring them to me right away," Sumiko commanded in her best matriarch voice. Glancing towards her minions, she made a gesture of dismissal. "Our righteous campaign against the idolators requires my attention. We shall continue later."

Illyria

[member="Sumiko Tanaka"]

Illyria concealed a scornful look for the minions behind her general look of indifference. Once all the flunkies and acolytes had departed, she approached ‘Sister Sakura’ and offered the slightest of bows. Deference was all very well, but she had her pride.

“Sister, we uncovered the den of the Bando Gora. We were attacked by one of their beasts and its handler but we killed them both.”

That pretty much was all Illyria had to say. She didn’t mention the injury – she’d deal with that in private.

She handed over a holomap with the new Bando Gora location. Job done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom