Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Relaxation of 10 posts as absolute minimum for dev threads

I was told that 10 posts is the absolute minimum number of posts required for a dev thread when submitting a new technology.

When writing solo, however, I like to write posts of at least 1000 words apiece. It just helps the flow and feel of the story being told. To meet the minimum I was told I would have to break up my story into little chunks, which breaks up the flow and feel of my writing (or write 10k words which is a tad overkill).

I'm not suggesting any major changes, but just a minor allowance that dev threads with longer posts will be judged accordingly, and that the 10 post minimum would be more a guideline than an absolute number.

[member="Wolf"] I can honestly see why you'd say that, but I've always felt that development threads shouldn't be written as a solo endeavour: let's face it, aside from personal weapons and armour, most things will be built by corporations, and those should have plenty of writers behind it.

I'd also note that development can extend very far: everything from initial research to gathering materials to finally bringing the piece together. Even with 1,000 word posts, you could easily squeeze 20-30 posts out of that!

Let's also be honest: the restriction is there to stop people just creating technologies off the cuff without working for them. You might be right in that word count might be a better choice - it'd stop those moronic 1-2 paragraph posts that are supposed to constitute 'good detail'. Maybe the way forward is a minimum word requirement, instead of a minimum post count. I'd buy that!

[member="Tirdarius"]
To be specific, this dev thread would be finding a certain lightsaber, which I have envisioned as a solo and personal endeavour for Wolf, rather than a prolonged group exercise.

[member="Tirdarius"] [member="Wolf"]

I would back a minimum word count requirement. In fact, I'd suggest moving everything to word count requirements instead of post requirements. So for a Dominion thread, you would be required to post, say, 50,000 words instead of 100 posts. Or even 20,000 words (since it seems 200-word posts are the average in those). That makes writers put in the work without making them split everything up into tiny posts unless they want to.

[member="Cendar"]
I would support this. Only trouble I see is on the part of the staff having to add up the word count of threads to ensure people are meeting the requirements, which could get pretty tedious for big dominion threads.

Matreya

I have suggested a minimum word count for so long its nuts. Hence when it comes time for my judgment, usually from people like [member="Jorus Merrill"], he notices I put in the same amount of work in as if I did massive numbers of posts. Some threads, for example my Baka Bodyglove thread, that one I amassed over 7k words, and was immediately approved by him.

However, I would also counter, that for some people solo threading is simply more objective. I cannot see my company including many writers for dev, as none have anything to do with it. Legitimately other than my irl fiance, none are. So I'd have to force it, come up with a reason for them to be there etc. As is, I can slam through a load of work solo, over a spread time.

[member="Wolf"]

[member="Wolf"] Perhaps ask that writers include their word count when they post, to make it easier to total up? Although there's probably a moderator/admin function which totals it all up for you anyway.

sabrina

Tirdarius said:
I'd also note that development can extend very far: everything from initial research to gathering materials to finally bringing the piece together. Even with 1,000 word posts, you could easily squeeze 20-30 posts out of that!
Not a chance

[member="sabrina"]

Absolutely doable. Hell, I've seen some submissions around here with 20+ threads. Detail writing may be an art, but it's one I'd encourage everyone to try their hand at. It's perfectly viable, and should be something to aspire to, not dismiss.

sabrina

[member="Tirdarius"] I agree, but by imposing minimum word counts, you would put some people off trying.
That would make some people at severe disadvantage, when it comes to armour and weapons.

skin, bone, and arrogance
sabrina said:
[member="Tirdarius"] I agree, but by imposing minimum word counts, you would put some people off trying.
That would make some people at severe disadvantage, when it comes to armour and weapons.
Then why have standards at all? The templates in the factory look daunting -- that might discourage people from trying, too, but we keep them around.

sabrina

[member="Natasi Fortan"] a thousand word though, is high especially when some first starts. Yes standard should be done, but given when when I firsted started rping, I found it very hard to get past a single line of text. I see people in same boat I was in back then, but I got better through practice, 5 years of practice and I still struggle sometimes to get past a paragraph, so why complete discourage them from the beginning and turn them off the whole thing. The idea word count is just high bar, that will discourage people no good reason, and if things do need to improve in certain points, then why not have the judge decide that, and ask for few extra or modify some posts. As that not a problem, but insist on absolute minimum would discouraging from the start.

[member="sabrina"] Problem is, we're not trying to appeal to the lowest-common-denominator here: invariably, we want our universe to be rich, detailed and full of quality. The idea behind the Factory and Codex is to encourage creativity while maintaining standards of quality. Put bluntly, if a person is incapable of generating that level of detail in their writing (such that the word limit would be an issue), they probably shouldn't be in the business of creating things for the Codex in the first place: they're likely to make it past the Factory Judges and, even if they do, is it something anybody is going to want?

I agree that writing can be difficult when you first start out, but this is why we have the Apprentice > Knight > Master system in place, and don't encourage newer writers to overextend themselves - it gives you a chance to learn and improve your writing skill before you try for some of the additional systems. If you don't feel confident in your writing, then you should write!

[member="Natasi Fortan"] is correct - we have standards because we want people to meet and exceed them, not because we want the least possible effort for the maximum amount of reward. That's how RP sites die.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom