Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Vehicle REC-AMB/01 Advanced Mechanized Battleframe; Laigrek Pattern

Status
Not open for further replies.

457px-H5G-Mantis_Default.png
QeibwvS.png

| STANDARD CAMO SCHEME - Available to REC Clients | CUSTOM VARIANT - Available via Special Order |
9Romjfm.png

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Advanced Battleframe.
    • Secondary Classification: Mechanized Assault Walker (Size and Propulsion Patterns.)
  • Role: Aggressive reconnaissance, Mobile Weapons Platform, Mobile Infantry Support, Etc.
  • Size: Average Rating.
    • Length: 3 Metres.
    • Width: 6 Metres.
    • Height: 6 Metres.
  • Weight: 8 Metric Tonnes, or 8,000 Kilograms - Very Heavy Rating.
  • Armaments: High Rating.
    • One Heavy Rotary Particle Chainblaster [Dedicated Power Supply.]
    • One Concussion Grenade Launcher, with Five Mass-driven Tubes [Variable Payload; Auto-loading Functionality.]
    • Two Brilliant Nanomissile Blister Pods [Concealed and Retractable, 30 Single-Use Concussion Missiles.]
    • Two Repeating Blaster Cannons [Fixed-forward, Chin-mounted.]
    • Four Variable Canister Launcher Turrets [Retractable; Two in the Front and Back.]
    • External Conductive Polymers / Stun Panels - Integrated Harm Setting(s.)
  • Defences: High Rating.
    • Heavily Reinforced Armour Plating, with Secondary Turadium Plates and Blast Shields.
    • Advanced Deflector Shield, with Integrated Emitters and Generators. (Overlaid Ray, Particle, and Concussion Barriers.)
    • Standard Energy-charged Ablative Plating.
    • Reinforced Ionic Shielding.
    • Advanced EWAR, Electronic Countermeasures, Chaff and Flare Launchers.
  • Maneuverability Rating: 60 DPF - Average Rating.
  • Speed Rating: 75 Km/H (Maximum Speed, Flat Terrain) - Average Rating.
  • Propulsion: Bipedal Locomotion (AT-ST comparable,) with Non-Standard Repulsorlift Modules.
  • Minimum Crew: One Operator and One Integrated Droid Brain with A.I Functionality.
  • Optimal Crew: One Operator and One Integrated Droid Brain with A.I Functionality.
  • Passenger Capacity:
    • None.
  • Cargo Capacity: 40 Kilograms - Very Small Rating - Maintenance, Survival Equipment, Additional Fuel and Various Munitions.
STANDARD FEATURES
  • Advanced Servomotors, with Gyroscopic Stabilization System.
  • Standard Fusion Drive System(s.)
  • Standard Compact Fusion Power Plant.
  • Standard Hazard and Damage Control Systems.
  • Standard Life Support System(s).
  • Standard Navigational System(s), Ground-Penetrating Sensors (Hazardous Terrain).
  • Advanced Combat Sensors and Targeting System(s). [Including Ground-Penetrating Sensors.]
  • Standard Communications System.
    • Holonet Transceiver with Encryption/Decryption Networks [Military Encryption Keys.]
  • Standard Environmental Control System(s).
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Stabilized Torso with External Armament Armatures.
    • Elevation Capable (60') with Lateral Spin (140') Limitations.
    • Armature Movement - Linked with Cockpit's Elevation and Lateral Spin Limitations.
      • Additional Functionality: Armatures come with Storage Functionality; Locked Otherwise.
  • Integrated Droid Brain with Heuristic Processors, and Neural Interface Functionality.
  • Various Utility Rails for External Stowage.
  • Integrated and Retractable Floodlights, with Various Visual Frequencies and Settings.
  • High-Comfort Impact Foam Padding for Bucket Seats.
  • Non-Humanoid Momentum - Conventional Combat Walker Movement Patterns.
  • Compactable; Reduced Storage and Carrying Capacity.
  • Integrated Bio-Conversion Power Generator (Secondary,) with Solar Ionization Collection Arrays and Power Cells; Retractable Access Panels.
    • Capable of turning Hydrogen-rich Substances into Useable Fuel; Water, etc.
  • Missile Deactivation Transmitter (Short-Range.)
  • Anti-Ordnance EM Probe (Long-Range.)
  • Anti-Laser Aerosol Launchers.
  • Aural-Biological-Chemical Scrambler.
STRENGTHS
  • Highly Automated with a Comprehensive Countermeasure Suite.
  • Partially Autonomous - Can be Remotely Operated and Navigate Terrain towards Designated Waypoints.
  • Anti-Personnel Specialty; Capable of Engaging Massed Infantry in a Various Environments.
  • Optional - External Repulsorlift Module(s); Limited Jump/Flight/Dash Capacity.
WEAKNESSES
  • Highly Automated; System and Some Combat Functionality will be Significantly Reduced if Ionic Shielding is Overloaded.
  • Limited EMP and Ion Resistance; Device Proximity and Potency Dependent.
  • Torso Limitations - Forced to Reorient to Target Hostiles Behind the Battleframe.
  • Knockdown Danger - Requires External Modules to Get Back Up.
  • Neural Interface - Possible Neural Overload with High Potency EMP and Ionic Devices.
  • Non-Humanoid Momentum - Conventional Combat Walker Movement Patterns (AT-ST Comparable.)
  • Spindly Limbs - Appendages can be Severed with Enough Force; Crippling the Battleframe.
  • Anti-Infantry Specialty - Limited Vehicular Engagement Options.
  • Optional - Repulsorlift Jammers; Incapable of Utilizing External Modules.
DESCRIPTION
The REC-AMB/01 Advanced Mechanized Battleframe; Laigrek Pattern was an oddity. It was designed to be an advancement in Powered Armour, but also found itself bequeathed with a secondary classification that set it apart from it’s smaller kin. The Laigrek was considered by many to be a Mechanized Walker, much like the infamous All-Terrain Scout Transport, but was blessed with maneuverable armatures and a more balanced structure. This confusion allowed for the Republic Engineering Corporation to take advantage of the situation and offer their Clients something wholly new, and never seen before. Thus, the Laigrek became the first advanced and mechanized Battleframe's to hit the market, proudly produced by the greatest Interstellar Shipwright this side of the Core Region.

At its core, the Laigrek was an advanced form of a Battleframe - a sort of wearable weapons platform that, in many ways, operated like a personal vehicle. The overall design wasn’t anything like traditional powered armour, or even the ancient Battleframes themselves. For it didn’t cloak an organic’s frame with micronized servos or electro-reactive fibres, or turn them into a walking turret. Instead, it swaddled the Operator in an armoured cradle and lifted them beyond the reach of the surface. This meant that there was considerably more armour plating between the horrors of the outside world, and the Operator themselves. What made the Laigrek unique, aside from it’s hybridized classification, was that the integrated cradle was outfitted with an advanced neural interface. This addition to the Battleframe’s design would allow for the complex controls of conventional walkers to be streamline, and condensed into a simplified format.

As the Project moved towards the final stages of conceptual completion, some concern was aroused in regards to the external armatures. While initially touted as maneuverable, which came with the implication of a limited range of motion - there were those that wanted an expansion on it’s functionality. Mostly for classification purposes, as there were some that made erroneous comparisons to Balmorran War Droids. So, the design team extrapolated on the Battleframe’s functionality by touting the function of the armatures. They weren’t articulated in the same fashion that a Droid’s arm was built to mimic the Organic limb, but rather meant to better store the Laigrek when not in use.

Additionally, the functionality of the armatures were hard-linked to the movement of the chassis/cradle, which added to it’s Industrial and Insectoid appearance, as well as limiting the overall range of motion. While some of the design team weren’t fans of the limitations, as they enjoyed the thought of a Piloted Droid, they were put in place to ensure the gyroscopic stabilization system, alongside it's mechanized movement patterns, would work to the fullest degree. With less parts flailing about, there was a significantly reduced chance of the Laigrek being knocked over during battle, which would doubtlessly cause enough issues for the Operator within the cradle, should that eventuality come to pass.

In many ways, the Laigrek’s technical foundations were formed in the distant past with the successive iterations of the Dark Trooper Project. While the first two phases were advanced battle droids in their own right, the third phase was a hybridized design. From what could be salvaged from the degraded vaults of history, the third phase was a combination of an exosuit and a droid. It was believed that while the suit could be worn like powered armour, the third phase was capable of operating without its organic operator, much like it’s predecessors and the myriad models that sought to capture it’s storied legacy. The Laigrek, while sharing many design similarities, sadly the Battleframe couldn’t operate like a traditional battle droid without an Organic Operator inside.

It was a design feature of the Battleframe, as to allow the semi-sapient A.I. full reign of the platform would’ve been an error that might’ve resulted in catastrophe.

Nevertheless, when operated by an Organic the Laigrek would become a danger to almost everything that stood in its destructive path. Especially since the Battleframe was equipped with a selection of weapons that made the platform wholly dangerous to massed formations of Infantry, as well as Fortified Emplacements and Light Vehicles. Those that could resist the Laigrek’s onslaught were heavily-armoured and armed vehicles, and mechanized Infantry - as they were doubtlessly equipped with the tools needed to survive. However, even with their formidable defences, there was a chance for even the most heavily armoured opposition to fall before the Battleframe's might.

The Laigrek was an expensive gamble. But, if the Battleframe was popular and did well on the market - it was likely to see a proverbial lifetime of support, and successive generations. With that being said, however, the design team at Republic Engineering sought to sweeten the pot in a fashion. The first module, ever to be made for the Laigrek, was a pair of specialized Repulsorlift Engines that would be mounted at the rear of the hybridized design. These modules would grant the Laigrek the ability to defy a Planet’s gravity for a brief measure of time, which took the form of either flight, or a sudden boost to it’s forward momentum. With such an addition, the Mechanized Battleframe would truly become a force to be reckoned with.

One, that might even change the future of modernized warfare.

Last edited:
Republic Engineering Republic Engineering , this looks like it's crossing the mech line to me, especially being described as a "Hybrid Powered Exoskeleton" with "maneuverable armatures". Bear in mind that these general criteria for judging what is a mech is still in place per the current Factory Ruleset:

23138e9b84b7b8c555ed1208ae967667.png

1. General Shape: This looks roughly humanoid in shape. It's especially notable that it has articulated arms.
2. Skeletal Movement Patterns: This is explicitly described as an exoskeleton, which implicitly means that its movements are going to be skeletal in nature.
3. Size: This is pretty clearly larger than a person with its shortest dimension being three meters, and the other dimensions being 6 meters.

This isn't to say that I don't think that this can be made into something approvable. It clearly can be if one or more of those criteria is addressed.

1. General Shape: This looks roughly humanoid in shape. It's especially notable that it has articulated arms.

Your comment here is quite perplexing, as just because something has two arms/armatures and two legs - doesn't mean that it's humanoid. In fact, the Laigrek is quite alien, or even insectoid in appearance. It's part of the reason why I gave a side view to showcase how utterly inhuman it looks. If the legs weren't triple jointed and situated in such a manner? I'd agree with you, and wouldn't have bothered to make this submission in the first place as it wouldn't fit within the established parametres that've been posted in the factory standardized rules. For ease of reference, I'll be posting a screenshot below.

Screenshot_2020-09-10_at_12.03.22_AM.png

To me, the Laigrek has a streamlined, but wholly industrial feel to its appearance. As the actuating parts are clearly seen and so are the lines of the adjoining armour plates. I'm sure that if the armour was removed, it'd look like C-3P0 in the Phantom Menace, which would doubtlessly add to it's industrial aesthetic. From there, it's quite clear that the Laigrek's image sources doesn't fit within the restrictions laid out afterwards; as the Mantis isn't a Gundam, nor a Walker from 40k, a Zoid or Zord, nor is it a Titan from Titanfall. So, in my eyes - I'm well on the right path to approval there. That's not even mentioning that the overall aesthetic looks vaguely similar to the canon image source for Mechs, as well as the dimensions fitting well within the posted requirements.

So, aside from it having articulated arms - I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to get at here.

2. Skeletal Movement Patterns: This is explicitly described as an exoskeleton, which implicitly means that its movements are going to be skeletal in nature.

I can't really argue this, as that's pretty obvious by the image and videos from the game. If there is anything that'd come from this, I could add some more fluff into how lumbering and insectoid it moves, but that seems... excessive at this point. lol

3. Size: This is pretty clearly larger than a person with its shortest dimension being three meters, and the other dimensions being 6 meters.

As the average person is roughly two metres, and the Laigrek is posted as being 6 metres tall, I'd agree with you as I'd look like a fool not too, lol. However, as it's 3 metres under the posted 9-10 metre restriction posted in the screenshot above - I'm not entirely sure why it's an issue, as per the rules the Laigrek is allowed to have arms/armatures and/or shoulders.

Republic Engineering Republic Engineering , it looks like we agree on criteria 2 and 3.

I'm going to point out here that the criteria I've screenshotted is specifically linked within the Factory Rules that you've quoted as the "here" in the "A more indepth explanation can be found here", because it specifically deals with this part:

So, aside from it having articulated arms - I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to get at here.

In the criteria:

If it is very close biomorphic in shape (shaped like a human, animal, etc) with full functioning limbs, especially arms and hands, there's a good chance that this is going to be considered a mecha

This pretty clearly has arms with a full articulation which is where we're encountering this issue. I can agree with your comment that an enlarged C-3PO would look roughly similar, but this isn't an issue of what's theoretically possible in Star Wars. This more of an issue with feel.

This isn't my current ruling, but Factory Administrators following me have ruled that the canon Star Wars mechs wouldn't be allowed in the current Factory.

Gir Quee Gir Quee - If the arms were the major stopping point for you - why didn't you just lead with that rather than wasting both of our time in linking and screenshotting the rules?

As for the comment about the Laigrek being roughly similar to C-3P0, I think you've taken the point I was trying to make and twisted it for your own gain. Anything is theoretically possible with Star Wars, but that isn't what I was trying to say either. It was about the industrial feel of the HPE, and how it was all covered up in streamlined armour plating.

So, because you haven't really given me any options to work with, and have clearly reneged on your earlier comment of one or more of the criteria being addressed - I'm going to get excessively fluffy and explicitly state the functionality behind the arms, hopefully clearing up any issues.

I'll tag you again when I'm done.

Gir Quee Gir Quee - I've made the fluffy additions and will quote them below for convenience.

From SPECIAL FEATURES:
Stabilized Torso with External Armament Armatures.
  • Elevation Capable (60') with Lateral Spin (140') Limitations.
  • Armature Movement - Linked with Cockpit's Elevation and Lateral Spin Limitations.
    • Additional Functionality: Armatures come with Storage Functionality; Locked Otherwise.

From WEAKNESSES:
  • Torso Limitations - Forced to Reorient to Target Hostiles Behind the Hybrid Exoskeleton.
  • Knockdown Danger - Requires External Modules to Get Back Up.

And then from the DESCRIPTION itself:
As the Project moved towards the final stages of conceptual completion, some concern was aroused in regards to the external armatures. While initially touted as maneuverable, which came with the implication of a limited range of motion - there were those that wanted an expansion on it’s functionality. Mostly for classification purposes, as there were some that made erroneous comparisons to Balmorran War Droids. So, the design team extrapolated on the Hybrid Exoskeleton’s functionality by touting the functionality of the armatures. They weren’t articulated in the same fashion that a Droid’s arm was built to mimic the Organic limb, but rather meant to better store the Laigrek when not in use.

Additionally, the functionality of the armatures were hard-linked to the movement of the chassis/cradle, which added to it’s Industrial and Insectoid appearance, as well as limiting the overall range of motion. While some of the design team weren’t fans of the limitations, as they enjoyed the thought of a Piloted Droid, they were put in place to ensure the gyroscopic stabilization system would work to the fullest degree. With less parts flailing about, there was a significantly reduced chance of the Laigrek being knocked over during battle, which would doubtlessly cause enough issues for the Operator within the cradle, should that eventuality come to pass.

Republic Engineering Republic Engineering , I find some of your language here unhelpful. I expect you to present me with counter-arguments based on details in the submission, canon, or in real life - that is entirely reasonable and your right. I do not expect you to judge the motivations of my actions. It is indeed tempting to engage you in a spirited back and forth on what is and isn't acceptable social behavior. But it is a contest that would not do either of us any good. Please stop, and let's focus solely on the sub itself. If I feel you are tempting to bait me here, I will simply deny the sub and you may second chance it.

So, because you haven't really given me any options to work with, and have clearly reneged on your earlier comment of one or more of the criteria being addressed - I'm going to get excessively fluffy and explicitly state the functionality behind the arms, hopefully clearing up any issues.

Perhaps I could have been more explicit here: there are the three above criteria(general shape, skeletal movement patterns, and size) which define your options. This submission can have any two of these which are close to a mecha and be approveable. That means that you have three combinations to pick from. Here are the options:

1. Roughly humanoid shape & skeletal movement patterns, but small
2. Skeletal movement patterns and large size but not biomorphically shaped
3. Roughly humanoid shape and large size, but no skeletal movement patterns

It looks to me like you are going for option three here. I think your commentary on the arms is solid in addressing the most salient issue with skeletal movement patterns. Labeling it as an exosuit though still implies skeletal movement patterns though. I think we have two options to address this:

1. Remove mention that this is an exoskeleton (I could still see some history here of the original intent of this to be a hybridized exoskeleton - just not the final result)
2. Explicitly state that is movement patterns are typical of a walker like an AT-ST (or your choice of a conventional, canon walker) and NOT like those of a power armor

Gir Quee Gir Quee - After pondering on your last post for a time, I've decided to retract my Second Chance request and elected to make some changes to the submission.

I've removed the references to the Laigrek being an Exoskeleton, and have instead replaced it with Exosuit to match the canon source material that inspired this design. In addition to that, I've added in references that explicitly state it's movement patterns are similar, or at the very least, comparable to that of an AT-ST. They're seeded throughout the technical specifications, special features, weaknesses, and description fields. Ideally, whenever someone else other than myself utilizes this submission, the movement patterns should be represented in a more mechanical fashion - rather than the implied patterns brought about by the Exoskeleton moniker.

Republic Engineering Republic Engineering , bear with me here: I know that you've put a lot of work into this, and I don't want to make assumptions about some of the language that's in the submission:

I've removed the references to the Laigrek being an Exoskeleton, and have instead replaced it with Exosuit to match the canon source material that inspired this design.

I don't understand the significance of this change.

The two exosuits that I know of in canon off the top of my head are the Dark Trooper Phase III and a vague reference to one worn by a member of the Dooku family. I know very little about the actual details of the Dooku one, but for practical purposes, both seem to be forms of power armor. A quick Google search suggests (or at least conflates) the concept of power armor, an exoskeleton, and exosuit as being very close to synonymous with each other.

Is there a practical (or subtle) difference between an exoskeleton and an exosuit as the terms apply to this submission?

The potential issue that I see is that essentially, it looks like it still has the implication that this has some measure of skeletal movement patterns. As I think about this, this sentence in the submission really sticks out to me:

At its core, the Laigrek was an advanced form of powered armour.

Realistically, I do not think that I can sign off on something that is described as a worn suit or power armor the size of a walker without it crossing the mecha line.

I think a good word to use instead of exoskeleton, power armor, or exosuit would be a Battleframe, which in canon blends the line between power armor and small walker, which is the concept that I think you're going for here. It's important to note that this concept pretty clearly makes the movement patterns as being that more typical of a vehicle rather than a set of conventional power armor that uses skeletal movement patterns and enhances a user's strength.

If you replace the exosuit/exoskeleton references with battleframe, I'll be happy to sign off on it.

Gir Quee Gir Quee - For some reason, I honestly believed there was a difference between the Exoskeleton and Suit terminologies. It was that thought of knowing you've seen it somewhere, but ended up being too lazy to look. Turns out Wikipedia tosses them all into the same synonym category anyways, so in many ways whatever it was I was going to look for was basically wrong to begin with, lol. So, there isn't any practical or subtle differences that apply to this submission.

But, with the Battleframe article, I'd agree with you that it fits the Laigrek's concept very well, and seems to shed that implication of smooth non-vehicular movement. I've since changed the name of the submission, added a link to the Battleframe in the classification section, and hopefully gotten rid of all Exosuit mentions throughout the submission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom