Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rank Tag Competition Winners

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The votes are in"? What? Some of the most popular choices weren't even picked.

We're still being denied Ren tags? Seriously, guys?

And we get Executive and Medic, but no Rebel or Imperial tags?

I must say I'm honestly disappointed.

You can now get purple or green versions of the witch tag, but not one version of Knights of Ren tags.

Sith and Dark Jedi tags just don't really fit for the Knights of Ren, and the First Order is now a major player on the galactic scene, with these tags being able to cover a good amount of members, and probably more members than whoever is represented by purple witch tags!

Sad times.

Visser Chernykh

No one makes the hero bleed.
Wolf said:
You can now get purple or green versions of the witch tag, but not one version of Knights of Ren tags.

Sith and Dark Jedi tags just don't really fit for the Knights of Ren, and the First Order is now a major player on the galactic scene, with these tags being able to cover a good amount of members, and probably more members than whoever is represented by purple witch tags!

Sad times.
I'd have to agree with my comrade-in-arms. I understand how the idea is to make a universal style of tags but the witch/non-witch spellcasters is fairly niche. Why one niche but not another?

Rekali the Hutt

R
Disclaimer, I am not in any way shape or form staff, and my opinion doesn't carry any weight, but I figured I'd tell you guys what's up from my perspective:

IIRC Witch has historically been the third most used FU tag series on the board. They have a Faction with over fifty users, each touching the Force. The last Force User Tag series made for a faction(Templars for an Old Techno Union) got used by around ten users total, which was seen as unjustified, especially when the Faction was struggling to generate activity in and of itself.

When I think of "Knights of Ren" on the board I think of around half a dozen Padawan/knight level Force Users. There's nothing wrong with being padawan/knight level(I personally enjoy knight level more than master), but the Knights of Ren suffer from lack of a big "Brand Name" so to speak. Furthermore I'd be hardpressed to tell you what exactly a Knight of Ren is. I know on the board they aren't Sith, but the only canon example we have is a man who prays to his dead Sith grandfather for the Darkside to guide him.

What I would recommend you guys to do is create a Faction Ad or two starring the Knights of Ren specifically. You guys are absolutely wonderful at creating faction art and advertising with [member="Natasi Fortan"]'s little newsletters and the Olympic Art and your faction ads really have a "pop" to them, but they each only contain a line or two that reference the Knights of Ren, and nothing that really defines them. When someone thinks of a Jedi they think of a protector of the people, when someone thinks of a Sith they think of a craving for power, when someone thinks of a Witch they think of someone who uses the Force in a more magical than science fiction flavor. Find an simple, one or two line idea that people can cling that says "This is a Knight of Ren, This is what makes them different and fun to play." and you'll gain users and respect, which is what will give you the influence to go for Knight of Ren tags.

Another thing that'll help out are Invasions and Skirmishes. Cool events with other factions that gets them to read your work. Dominions and Faction threads are great for promoting activity within, but not always for attracting new users and getting them to understand what you're doing. You have an invasion or skirmish with the Galactic Alliance or the Kathol Outback and all of a sudden you've got another twenty writers playing against you, looking at the Knights of Ren and how you guys function and have fun in RP, and gaining your respect as you duke out your lightsabers and fleets with them. Not to mention the others that'll tune in to see their favorite fighters and friends who'll learn more about what you are and what you're doing.

You guys have been doing a great job promoting your brand and pulling in what is arguably tied for the best Non-Force User memberbase on the board with the Mandalorians, a far better established brand in canon and on the board history. This is a tremendous achievement with how difficult it is to generate Non Force User activity in general. You guys might already have all of this planned, but I think the next step for you guys is finding better branding and promoting your Force Users while not distancing yourself from the wonderful Moff and Military RP that y'all have already established.

I wish you guys good luck. I love seeing a good Empire faction, and I think you guys have the passion to stick around long term. I can't wait to see y'all in some invasions. :)

Rekali the Hutt said:
IIRC Witch has historically been the third most used FU tag series on the board. They have a Faction with over fifty users, each touching the Force. The last Force User Tag series made for a faction(Templars for an Old Techno Union) got used by around ten users total, which was seen as unjustified, especially when the Faction was struggling to generate activity in and of itself.
I think comparing us to that faction is somewhat unfair, since we've been major for quite some time now, and our member base is only continuing to grow. Not to mention, the Knights of Ren are supported by actual canon, unlike these Templars. The Ren are official canon, they aren't going away. The Witches aren't even major anymore.

The real issue is that we've been gaslighted by the staff about this. First there couldn't be KoR tags because we were too "new" and they feared we would end up like the Templars. Now despite being a Major Faction for several months, we're told that we are still too niche - even though our rank tags were one of the most upvoted in the entire contest. Like if you don't give a damn about people's votes then at least say so. It would be nice if the staff simply said they're just choosing the ones they want, rather than trying to spin it as some kind of democratic vote.

Rekali the Hutt said:
When I think of "Knights of Ren" on the board I think of around half a dozen Padawan/knight level Force Users. There's nothing wrong with being padawan/knight level(I personally enjoy knight level more than master), but the Knights of Ren suffer from lack of a big "Brand Name" so to speak. Furthermore I'd be hardpressed to tell you what exactly a Knight of Ren is. I know on the board they aren't Sith, but the only canon example we have is a man who prays to his dead Sith grandfather for the Darkside to guide him.
Well, it's more than just a half dozen members. We have been laboring for some time to develop the Knights of Ren into a unique group of Force Users, and all our lore is available to anyone who wants to join our faction to look. I appreciate your critique, and we most definitely want to get the Knights more exposure so people like you can be readily aware of the difference. To that point, the word that should come to your mind when you think Knights of Ren should basically be "zealot" or "religious fanatic". This is what separates them from the Sith. The Knights hold a great reverence for the old Galactic Empire and Palpatine in particular, with some even going so far to worship him as an actual deity. They are more "Lawful Evil" and less "Neutral" or "Chaotic Evil" than some Sith tend to be.

The further issue is that not having our own rank tags actually makes this problem worse. It's more difficult for us to develop our own "brand name" when we don't have our differentiation supported by the staff. The current way exacerbates the confusion because it's quite easy to simply associate the Knights of Ren as just another Sith group, especially if they're forced to wear Sith tags.

Rekali the Hutt said:
You guys have been doing a great job promoting your brand and pulling in what is arguably tied for the best Non-Force User memberbase on the board with the Mandalorians, a far better established brand in canon and on the board history. This is a tremendous achievement with how difficult it is to generate Non Force User activity in general. You guys might already have all of this planned, but I think the next step for you guys is finding better branding and promoting your Force Users while not distancing yourself from the wonderful Moff and Military RP that y'all have already established. I wish you guys good luck. I love seeing a good Empire faction, and I think you guys have the passion to stick around long term. I can't wait to see y'all in some invasions.

Your kind comments are appreciated. Thank you. We will continue to work as hard as we can!

[member="Ludolf Vaas"]
As I mentioned in this area here; http://starwarsrp.net/topic/94136-knights-of-ren-rank-tags-questionsuggestion/

The Ren are a unique group, but there are many unique groups of Force users in the galaxy. I dare say there are almost as many Angelii or Shapers of Kro Var as there are Ren. Some level of abstraction is needed here.

If the Ren reach a point where they acquire multiple masters, have many knights and acolytes then we will consider it at the next rank adjustment.

Until then, the answer is no.

Ayyy! It's really good to refresh some things and especially the rank titles!

On a personal note, I wish the Slicer by Isamu, Scout, Mechanic and Merc by Ria, Assassin and Doctor by Joza had gone through. :p Well done to everyone who put their work into this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom