Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions about species creation

So I've been thinking to add something to the site and I thought about doing a new species, hopefully one I could make a character from in the process. I was looking at the rules for making them and they seem easy enough. But I did see stuff about the planet they're from and, since this is a sentiant species, I guess that means I make a planet for them right? Now should I make the planet or the species first? Also what about technology? Like can I say it's basically the same as the rest of the galaxies technology but just designed differently? So anyone who can help thank you so much in advanced.

@[member="Nasika Serizawa"]
When I made the Eldorai species I submitted their homeworld Kaeshana at the same time. I suggest you fully write up planet and species and submit both at once, referencing the other.
Otherwise it becomes a bit of a 'chicken and the egg' problem about which to submit first.

Yoru Shakou

Technology wise I've always used a personal reference chart that goes in increasing levels
  • Primitive
  • Pre-Industrial
  • Industrial
  • Modern
  • Pre-Hyperspace
  • Hyperspace

Alexandra Feanor

The Lady in Silver/Grey Historian
I made the Infereti and Iferetes at the same time as well, its so much easier to just write up both and submit at the same time. As for Tech, i actually went way to far into thinking up that shit... look at the above comment if you just want a quick way of doing it.

Jorga the Hutt

When life gives you Mandos, make Mando'ade
Nasika Serizawa said:
Also what about technology? Like can I say it's basically the same as the rest of the galaxies technology but just designed differently?
More than a few people have done that :) Go right ahead.

Lira Dajenn

L
Regarding a planet to put on. I would like to say that Star Wars has THOUSANDS of uninhabited worlds that can and should be used for new created species...thats just me though.

Yoru Shakou

Lelani Sevestra said:
@[member="Fabula Cavataio"] are you saying its okay to put that its the same up to like the same or a certion point with the rest of the galaxy?
What I think she means, is that the vast majority of the Galaxy is currently at a Hyperspace level with their technology. They have the capability to build vessels capable of traversing the Galaxy. @[member="Lelani Sevestra"]

What I'm saying is that you can list a species or planet as being at the same technological level as the rest of the galaxy, and no one will even blink.

Fabula Cavataio said:
Vanr share the same technology level as most of the rest of the galaxy. They have no unique technology of their own.

This makes it really easy to judge that area, because we can just glance over it and move on.

I'm not sure what the question is here. If the technology level is the same as the rest of the galaxy, the technology level is the same as the rest of the galaxy. o.0

I guess a given planet could be more advanced in some areas than they are in others, but it's really hard to be "more advanced than galactic standard" without getting denied for powergaming.

@[member="Darth Ilyena"], regarding that, wouldn't it be an awesome if we had a contest of who can make the best species in accordance to their canon environment (i.e. Dagobah, Felucia, etc.)? But restrict them to using wookiepedia pages on planets that have very little description, and/or are uninhabited.

as a general school of thought its simplest if you basically go with one of the standard "tech levels" and then make "cosmetic" adaptions to the races gear.

if for the sake of argument your race is about 3 ft tall or so most equipment could or should be ~1/2 to 3/4 size (depending on tech base) and likely should suffer a bit in actual performance. IE their "rifle" should be more comparable with a pistol or carbine in range /damage etc.
on the other hand if the race is bigger than "normal" they might tend to make stuff a bit larger as well in most ways it will be a wash, but what if they "specialize" in a certain tech, you might give them a small bonus, but it should be something that is really minor in most cases and every advantage should have a corresponding disadvantage

for instance in the old d6 star wars rpg, the standard blaster pistol did 4d6, heavy blaster pistols did 5d6ish, and blaster rifles typically did ~5d6 damage, well the "small race" might have their blaster pistol doing 3d6, vs 4d6 and if you pickup a standard blaster pistol, its large and heavy/awkward for you to use.
The larger race might have issues using standard off the shelf blasters but their equivalent might do 5d6 damage comparable to a heavy blaster pistol at the expense of ammo capacity or similar.

to be honest in a way I am rather surprised to see so many people using slug throwing (physical projectile) weapons because from everything I have read they are normally considered primitive, weapons and normally only used in "special cases"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom