Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question

So basicly I am wondering how much posting is required before one could add force abilities to the character sheet.

Mantic is a new padawan of [member="Maya Whitelight"] and currently traveling with her. He has used "sense emotion" in one post so far.
Do I assume that he learns abilities during time? Should I use a power in a single post before claiming it? Or do I require an amount of posts in a training thread before adding abilities?

I know there is freedom in this. I merely want to know what is considered good practice around it before I make mistakes.

Thanks in advance!

Whatever you think is reasonable, honestly. If you think using it once is enough to make note of, go for it. If not, no need to. I'll typically only list one after spending a thread using it a lot, either in training or a situation required it.

I think you'll find that your mileage may vary with that question, [member="Mantic Dorn"].

Some people here like training threads, and they may have a set number of threads or posts in those threads -- which may be what you're wanting.

I'm not much of a training thread person. I do them on occasion, but I prefer to develop my characters in more story-based writing. So, for example, when I started writing this character he only knew Form I (Shii-cho), which is the introductory lightsaber form that teaches the basics of lightsaber combat. Over the course of several threads, only one of which has been a training thread, Zak's not only mastered the basics of Form I but gone on to become a practitioner of Form II and Form V.

Here's how the break-down worked for me, keeping with that example.

1st Thread: A social thread, in which Zak participated in a velocity and lost; then got advice from some of the older padawans on what he could have done differently.

2nd Thread: A spar/duel with Nefertari Sovint (who became Zak's master in the same thread); who also introduced him to Makashi to help him with his footwork and form

3rd Thread: A dominion, in which Zak has progressed to be more in control of his lightsaber and is able to use Shii-cho blast deflection easily. At this point, I have both Shii-cho and Makashi on Zak's sheet, with Shii-cho being his primary form and Makashi being an influence on his technique.

4th Thread: A duel with Megan Rhymes, who comments that Zak's Shii-cho rivals some Jedi Knights. As part of the thread, Zak is using Makashi footwork whilst experimenting with Djem So, but he keeps having to switch back to Shii-cho because he's too inexperienced with Form V.

5th Thread: A Djem So training thread, in which Zak is now using Makashi in place of Shii-cho because of how his bladework has evolved. This thread went on for more than 40 posts, as a result of which (being so substantive), I replaced Form I with Form V as Zak's primary form.

So, in 5 threads, only 1 of which was a dedicated training thread, we've arrived at a padawan who knows Djem So and Makashi, and has demonstrated a progression of skill and talent across a range of stories.

To use a different example, my Primeval witch uses Cryokinesis but I've never done a thread or story about him training it. Instead, I've built it up over a number of posts.

1st Thread: Dominion, reference to his aura or presence sending chills up those around him.

2nd Thread: Dominion, reference to the temperature dropping around him when he uses the Dark Side.

3rd Thread: Dominion, reference to frost forming on his body or at his feet when he uses the Dark Side. At this point, I've added Cryokinesis to my list of skills/spells that my witch can use.

4th Thread: Skirmish, uses Cryokinesis to create and hurl a snowball at Micah Talinth.

Once again, and this time indirectly, I can show a progression of how my character came to develop and hone that particular ability.

But, it need not be 5 threads, or 4 threads. I did one training thread for Force Light and then wound up using the ability in a subsequent thread even though the training thread was still on-going.

Different people are likely to come up with different answers, based on the particular ability, and their own opinions/experiences. I'd be skeptical of a padawan using Alter Environment or Force Lightning, but that's me and someone else may think differently. Chaos is all very freeform and so... it's whatever you make of it, or whatever you want it to be.

I'll usually acquire an ability after a nonspecific number of posts, and 'flex the muscle' by using it. For example, Stali's learning of Force Stealth was little more than a mention of it being learned in a past sense by his master at the time in another thread, and I had him flex that ability in subsequent training threads or other threads as he showed up to them, waited for them to start, or what-have-you.

There is no 'one right way' to do it. Some of us even start with a small handful of reasonable abilities, say... sense, telepathy, speed, jump, push/pull (explained briefly by some exposition, of course) and some of us want to start from the very bottom knowing absolutely nothing.

It's really up to what makes sense for you, what kind of experience you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom