Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Punt Munysje (Norr: Pointed Ammunition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: Create a conceptual ammunition technology designed and manufactured by the Grutter Norr Ryk's State Defence Industries for use in modern ranged firearms, like all things involving the Norr and weapons trying to harken to their central themes of: Ferocity, Discipline and Brutality.
  • Image Source: Source.
  • Canon Link: N/A.
  • Permissions: N/A.
  • Primary Source: mono-molecular edge, railgun, verpine shatter gun, quarrel.
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Designed: 874-877 ABY.
  • Manufactued: 884 ABY-Onwards.
  • Manufacturer: State Defence Industries.
  • Affiliation:
  • Market Status: Closed-Market.
  • Model: Punt Munysje (Norr: Pointed Ammunition).
  • Modularity: Yes (Ammunition caliber can vary from ultra-low to cannon-sized according to weapon system).
  • Production: Semi-Unique.
  • Material: Duranium, Titanium, Tungsten.
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Ammunition Technology.
  • Ammunition type: Titanium spike with mono-molecular depleted duranium penetrator.
  • Weight: Varies according to dimensions of the ammunition.
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Mono-molecular depleted duranium penetrator.
  • Titanium projectile.
STRENGTHS
  • Atmospheric superheating: When used in your typical atmosphere, the resistance against the projectile as it moves through the air at high velocities causes the titanium and tungsten to superheat to about eight-hundred degrees Celsius in a standard atmosphere; this has significant implications for injuries caused by the projectile. Near-hits can raise the internal temperature of full body armour to dangerous levels and cause third-degree burns to exposed skin.
  • Impalement injuries: Due to the nature of the projectiles, they can be subject to size, causing impaling injuries, which typically require intense and labour-intensive surgery to remove the fixed object, which would be the weapon's ammunition. These injuries in a medical context can usually only be treated in a hospital setting. The bullet is much like its' designers, ferocious.
  • Lightsabres: With significant kinetic energy behind the projectiles, attempts to block the path of the high-velocity shots, even if successful, would generally transfer their kinetic energy onto the magnetic field of the weapon and the grip, almost certainly sending it flying from the wielder grip if it also didn't inflict injury to the wielders themselves.
  • Mono-molecular penetrator: The ammunition is a quarrel shaped like a spike with a titanium body and a depleted duranium penetrator. The titanium body has a mono-molecular penetrator at the projectile's tip; the ammunition can punch through even the densest armour, with a few notable exceptions, such as Mandalorian Iron.
WEAKNESSES
  • Contrails: When fired in the atmosphere, as the heated projectiles pass through the several hundred-degree colder atmosphere around them, they generate distinctive steamy contrails in their wake, which invariably lead back to the shooter's position. This creates a hazard for concealed shooters such as marksmen or snipers; additionally, it readily identifies the location of defensive positions.
  • Decibel Level: Due to its' kinetic nature and the incredible velocities the ammunition achieves, the sound of them being discharged from a weapon system is significantly louder when compared to its' directed energy weapon peers. Unprotected exposure to the sound of the ammunition moving through the air results in the acute and transient onset of Tinnitus in most humanoids, with repeated or protracted exposure resulting in hearing damage.
  • Deflection: Despite high velocities due to the shape of the projectiles, there is an elevated risk when compared to directed energy weapons that the ammunition at extraordinarily steep impact angles, typically less than seven degrees that the shot will be deflected away from the surface; this will normally be observed more in low-calibre low-mass ammunition.
  • Feed systems: Weapons using this ammunition technology require a feed system to get the ammunition from its' storage container to the magnetic accelerators inside the weapon. Feed systems are imperfect and can break, and magazines in personal firearms lose spring tension over time, especially when under load for long periods.
  • Gravity: Unlike directed energy weapon projectiles with little atomic mass, these solid projectiles have a relatively high mass, which translates to high weight in an atmospheric setting; they are significantly more affected by phenomena like the Coriolis effect and the effects of gravity, especially at long range.
  • Mass: Ballistic ammunition in the contemporary context is inferior to directed energy cartridges for a critical reason: solids have more mass than gasses. Additionally, physical projectiles take up greater storage volume at the personal level and in vehicles. As a result, soldiers equipped with weapons using this ammunition will typically be left carrying smaller quantities of ammunition than a contemporary opponent utilising standard energy weapons.
  • Personal deflector shields: Generally speaking, personal deflector shields are an efficient means of defeating the ammunition technology as they hinder the projectile and its' kinetic energy before striking the target.
  • Recoil: For ammunition of this nature, significantly scaled up, there needs to be consideration given to recoil management, inertial dampeners, and other recoil mitigation technology that can alleviate some of these issues, but it will generally translate into larger design sizes.
DESCRIPTION
The pointed ammunition is a projectile technology pioneered by the Grutter Norr Ryk's State Defence Industries, who issued a requirement to the organisation in 874 ABY to produce an ammunition type that could be used in Infantry firearms, have better performance at penetrating the modern armour systems on the modern battlefield than standard directed energy weapons and then deliver sufficient kinetic energy onto any known humanoid target and liquidate it. State Defence Industries tested various designs over a decade and tendered three. The winner was an inert projectile 255 grain 15 gram 4.5x152mm Titanium spike with a depleted duranium penetrator featuring a point forged into a mono-molecular edge. , When fired from the magnetically-accelerated test platform, the projectile reached the supersonic velocity of 1650 metres per second. The shot penetrated 8mm of high-quality armour plate at a range of about 250 metres and put down about 20,000 joules of kinetic energy into the target State Defence Industries' 'Pointed Ammunition' won the tender, and a variety of ammunition types and weapons chambered in it have been ordered ever since. Due to their high velocity, and superheat in the atmosphere, the projectiles leave visible contrails in their wake from the air where they have superheated. Due to their length, the rifle appears to be throwing 'spears' at the enemy. Weapons that use these projectiles have been aptly named 'Norr spear guns' or 'Norr needle guns'; among the holonet military blogger community, they are infamous for the ghastly injuries they inflict. It is worth noting that when Depleted Duranium is unavailable due to material shortages, the same penetrator gets made from Tungsten.

Last edited:
We have a complex issue.

The submission of itself has possibly the most powerful ammo I have witnessed since I joined the Factory Team. I have consulted with a few others and it is in agreement that it is indeed, extremely powerful. At Mass Production, it already would make most armor effectively useless, force users just unable to fight and Disruptors look like a babys toy.

So we are at a crossroads. If you wish to keep this Mass Produced, I will ask to tone down the submission severely on how powerful it currently is, attempting some form of balance. The other is to reduce this ammo type to Semi-Unique in its current state, it will pass then and be noted as probably one of the most powerful ammo types I still have ever seen.

If neither can be accepted, we can take this to the Pre-Factory or Archive on your choice.

Again, this is extremely powerful. I await your response.
Hansen Hansen

We have a complex issue.

The submission of itself has possibly the most powerful ammo I have witnessed since I joined the Factory Team. I have consulted with a few others and it is in agreement that it is indeed, extremely powerful. At Mass Production, it already would make most armor effectively useless, force users just unable to fight and Disruptors look like a babys toy.

So we are at a crossroads. If you wish to keep this Mass Produced, I will ask to tone down the submission severely on how powerful it currently is, attempting some form of balance. The other is to reduce this ammo type to Semi-Unique in its current state, it will pass then and be noted as probably one of the most powerful ammo types I still have ever seen.

If neither can be accepted, we can take this to the Pre-Factory or Archive on your choice.

Again, this is extremely powerful. I await your response.
Hansen Hansen

Hey mate, do you have any suggestions? I thought I'd loaded it up on flaws in function and behaviour to balance the ammunition's characteristics. One of the key ones that came to my mind was the energy shield, xythan force shields these are technologies widely and readily available for use and render the ammunition unable to connect with the target and therefore whatever armor is underneath said shield, the materials it is effective against like Durasteel, Titanium, Duraplast, are also freely available from the submissions I've seen in my time.

I named Beskar as something it specifically cannot penetrate because of its' properties as it was my intention to signal materials in that sort of 'class' if you will are going to be effective. I'd like to note nothing in mono-molecular edge technology suggests it'll punch through everything and that wasn't my interpretation. "nevertheless exceedingly sharp, and capable of impressive cutting power".

The rounds can pierce most armor in the forum, making entire armies with blasters or strong armor worthless. Lightsabers are ineffective at doing anything other than making the Force User feel useless in regular combat. If you are impaled with the object, the chance of survival is near nothing, forcing that most hits are no matter what, insanely fatal. Near Hits or Near Misses causes burns and can typically kill others when they are close to them with those in full body armor that survive, dying from being cooked alive.

Shield Generators used are generally overheated from the impact, causing them to short and be destroyed, negating the hit. Most shield generators do not mitigate heat damage. The sound of the ammunition being fired can deafen people on the battlefield that are in close quarters combat, making them not only easy to find but a possible advantage. The mass of the bullet in of itself, combined with the heating factor, means it can make a small projectile round go through heavy armor such as light vehicles to heavy walkers as if it was nothing.

My suggestion? If you want this through as is, make it Semi-Unique. If not, then you have to start toning down its abilities drastically. This is a bullet to end all wars, it is more powerful than a disruptor and if the hands of a military force that spans the galaxy, the ultimate fighting force and make blasters effectively null in all forms of ground combat.

I would tone down the function of near misses, how lightsabers are close to an automatic disarmament, and cooking your enemies alive if they survive the impact of the bullet. I would also expand on a few weaknesses not involving fluff such as Feeding, Deflection and Gravity as they are generally moot. Focusing on expanding the Shield Generator aspect along with removing Mass due to how it is just not fitting into weaknesses.

Hope that helps and gives a bit of a more clear understanding.
Hansen Hansen

The rounds can pierce most armor in the forum, making entire armies with blasters or strong armor worthless. Lightsabers are ineffective at doing anything other than making the Force User feel useless in regular combat. If you are impaled with the object, the chance of survival is near nothing, forcing that most hits are no matter what, insanely fatal. Near Hits or Near Misses causes burns and can typically kill others when they are close to them with those in full body armor that survive, dying from being cooked alive.

Shield Generators used are generally overheated from the impact, causing them to short and be destroyed, negating the hit. Most shield generators do not mitigate heat damage. The sound of the ammunition being fired can deafen people on the battlefield that are in close quarters combat, making them not only easy to find but a possible advantage. The mass of the bullet in of itself, combined with the heating factor, means it can make a small projectile round go through heavy armor such as light vehicles to heavy walkers as if it was nothing.

My suggestion? If you want this through as is, make it Semi-Unique. If not, then you have to start toning down its abilities drastically. This is a bullet to end all wars, it is more powerful than a disruptor and if the hands of a military force that spans the galaxy, the ultimate fighting force and make blasters effectively null in all forms of ground combat.

I would tone down the function of near misses, how lightsabers are close to an automatic disarmament, and cooking your enemies alive if they survive the impact of the bullet. I would also expand on a few weaknesses not involving fluff such as Feeding, Deflection and Gravity as they are generally moot. Focusing on expanding the Shield Generator aspect along with removing Mass due to how it is just not fitting into weaknesses.

Hope that helps and gives a bit of a more clear understanding.
Hansen Hansen

Considering your observations, I've decided to lower the production value down to Semi-Unique; I'll likely end up using the ammunition as ammunition for weapons of special forces units belonging to the Ryk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom