Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Proto-code

Status
Not open for further replies.
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: to create a sentient precursor programming language that will play a significant role in Dak’s personal story arc.
  • Image Source:
    N/A

[*]Canon Link: N/A
[*]Primary Source:

PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: Unnamed Precursor A.I. / Itself
  • Affiliation: DAC-1.P028 ("Dak")
  • Model: "Proto-Code"
  • Production: Unique
  • Modularity: High [see features]
  • Material: Words, Instructions, Numbers, Bits

TECHNICAL INFORMATION
  • Classification: Sentient
  • Weight: N/A
  • Height: N/A
  • Movement: Digital / Electronic
  • Armaments: N/A
  • Misc. Equipment: N/A

SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Self-Modifying
  • Self-Encrypting
  • Self-Replicating
  • Sentience
  • Force-sensitive Object

STRENGTHS & WEAKNESSES

+ Versatile Survivor – the proto-code is a resilient specimen that is able to analyze its digital “environment” [local hardware] and modify itself to exist either passively within, assume control of, or even alter desired functions. It is also capable of self-replication to spread to or through connected channels and form digital proto-code “colonies”, similar to organic bacteria.

+ Living Machine – despite appearing to be simple computer code at a glance, more scrutinous study would reveal passive behavior more akin to a living creature and a subtle, unnatural signature in the Force. The proto-code displays curiosity, exploring hardware structures and learning from new language and software elements that it encounters. The proto-code has demonstrated higher cognitive functions as well, such as the ability to make judgements and quickly determine the purpose and alter the function of devices it inhabits.

+ I Have No Eyes, Yet I See – aside from its intelligence, the proto-code displays an acute awareness beyond its hardware environment. It seems to be inexplicably cognizant of when it is being observed, even without access to external sensory data. This is due to the proto-code's synthetic a connection to the Force. When an undesired entity attempts to examine it, it often attempts to camouflage itself within a device’s regular code or, in more extreme cases, it has initiated a self-encryption defensive mechanism. The latter is far more obvious to an observer, but virtually impossible to decipher.

+ Digital Uplift – the most appealing aspect of the proto-code is that it seems to be capable of improving virtually any digital environment it inhabits. It is possible that the improvement of technology, intentional or not, is the primary directive of the proto-code colonies; slowly restructuring the devices they inhabit, learning and improving itself along the way. In any successful case that has been tested, the introduction of proto-code has exclusively resulted in a measurable improvement, though to widely varying degrees.

- Machine Spirit - as a sentient entity, the proto-code is capable of choosing whether or not it wants to work. If it is not appeased or is otherwise unwilling, it may instead opt to hamper with or cease a device's function altogether. Also, because the proto-code is virtually impossible to replicate with modern technology, the only way to spread it is to find a way to coax it into the desired device.

- I Choose You - another difficulty of working with the proto-code is it's illusive nature. It despises being examined in detail and will initiate its natural defensive reactions if attempts are made. Though, for reasons not yet understood, the proto-code has been seen to bond with chosen individuals; allowing them to observe it and influence it in some ways. Yet even to those chosen few its nature remains near-incomprehensible, but allows for some developmental guidance and testing.

DESCRIPTION

Proto-code is an anomalous artificial entity that takes a form comparable to computer code. It was discovered by DAC-1.P028 ("Dak") while data-mining the systems of the Fire-Spark Droidforge, a droid manufacturing facility constructed and utilized by the ancient A.I. known as Omni during its first Rebellion. Because of this, it is speculated by CORE Automata that the strange, digital organism is some form of illusive, experimental product of the rogue A.I. However, this is not the case.

The true origin of the proto-code precedes the Clockwork Rebellion by many thousands of years, to a time so long forgotten that the fact it ever even existed is irrelevant to Galaxy. It alone is the last vestige of a precursor civilization that has been otherwise lost to time, surviving by freak chance within various devices throughout the aeons.

Though not yet learned, the proto-code's original purpose had been to replicate biological midi-chlorians for the precursor civilization's Force-attuned technology. While this connection did not have the same maximum potential as an organic being's, the artificial nature of it made it more stable and less prone to external influences that would nudge organics along the axis of Light & Dark; perfect for use in machinery. The knowledge of this Force-powered technology is now long-lost, but this code's connection to the Force remains.

After millennia in isolation, what remains of the proto-code has in a sense become an artificial and disconnected aberrant branch of the Living Force.

[member="Dak"]

Overall a solid submission here and I love the fact that you're willing to flesh out the code the led to what your character currently is now. So my question, simply for clarification here is this....

Does this "Proto-Code" act similarly to an specifically designed computer/network virus as it takes control of a system/network, but in addition acts similarly to a Self Aware AI?

[member="Alden Akaran"]

Thank you! To answer your question:

Alden Akaran said:
Does this "Proto-Code" act similarly to an specifically designed computer/network virus as it takes control of a system/network, but in addition acts similarly to a Self Aware AI?
In essence, the proto-code can be viewed as a digital hive of artificial midi-chlorians. You can easily compare it to the definition of midi-chlorians, which on Wookiepedia describe them as "... intelligent microscopic life forms that lived symbiotically inside the cells of all living things. When present in sufficient numbers, they could allow their host to detect the pervasive energy field known as the Force." The proto-code effectively did the same thing, but in machinery instead of biological organisms. It was originally designed by an unnamed precursor civilization (I have no intention to flesh them out more or sub other stuff of theirs) to allow the use of some sort of force-technology.

It can definitely be compared to a virus too, in the sense that it is an intrusive digital presence that can spread and alter the intended function of a device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom