Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Protera

Status
Not open for further replies.
KevlarDraftPNG_zpsh7bidfgn.png
Image Source: http://pt.made-in-china.com/co_huatian888/product_Carbon-Fiber-Kevlar-Hybrid-Fabric_hrgsggrgy.html (edits by me)
Intent: To create a base textile that may be used in future products and submissions.
Development Thread: If needed
Manufacturer: Daehan Industries
Model: ARA 202
Affiliation: Closed Market
Modularity: Available in different grades/weights
Production: Mass-produced
Material: Polymers, quantum fiber, chemical compounds

Strengths:
· Versatile: may be used to a variety of purposes
· Can be used as a standalone product or as a composite material
· High protective qualities (anti-blaster, ballistic defense, cut and abrasion protection)
· Heat and corrosion resistant

Weaknesses:
· Low compressive strength
· Very limited protection against lightsabers (glancing blow)
· Long exposure to UV will cause fiber degradation over time

Description:
Developed by the Daehan textile research laboratory in Sejong, Seoul, Protera is a very strong blend of polymers, specifically engineered to be flexible, light, and protective. The formula developed by Daehan Industries boasts a superior internal strength due to the way the molecules have been arranged, and is enhanced when the fibers are tightly woven. Protera is made in two main phases, and it began with the creation of a special blend of synthetic polymers. At completion, this raw material takes on the appearance similar to that of plastic pellets. In addition to the proprietary blend of polymers, quantum fiber was also added for additional protective properties. Once the polymer material has been created, it is dissolved in a chemical compound, and then extruded through a spinneret to form a filament fiber via a process called wet spinning.

The Protera fibers can be tightly woven together to create a textile, or even cut and mixed with other fibers (cotton, other synthetic blends). However, if added to another fiber mix, protective properties will be less. In addition to filament yarns, the fiber may take the form of pulp, spun-lace and paper-like sheets. The fiber was engineered to absorb and disperse energy attacks, and the stiff structure of the woven guards against abrasion, cuts, and projectiles. The plastic fiber is also inherently flame resistant, has a high chemical resistance, and low electrical conductivity. As such, Protera is often used to create protective vests and light armor. The textile can be used alone, sewn as an interlining, or applied in layers as a composite material. Despite the stiffness of the fabric, it is still quite flexible and very lightweight, making it an ideal material for use in armors -- it is most effective when multiple layers are used.

During extensive product testing at Daehan labs, it was discovered that Protera was highly durable. However, all materials have their limits. Blaster bolts at close range were dispersed with minimal molecular slippage, but multiple attacks to the same area caused fabric deformation. This greatly reduces the overall effectiveness, and may loosen the weave enough for subsequent attacks to break through. Similarly, repeated cuts or damage from projectiles weakens the textile and may eventually cause fiber breakage and product failure.

In addition to armor, Protera can be used in simple consumer goods or various other industrial processes - ropes, cables, cords, footwear, cut resistant gloves, ship components.

Primary Source: N/A

Affiliation changed from Open Market to Closed Market

Hello, I'll be the factory judge reviewing your submission. If you have questions, please feel free to respond to this thread once we are underway.

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

Hey Sunny, so let's get started. First off, well done! This is an excellent submission and I look forward to seeing what you do with it. I only have one thing I would like clarified if you'd please.

· High protective qualities (anti-blaster, ballistic defense, cut and abrasion protection)
If you could define how much it provides in protection from these things. For example, if someone is at close range with a blaster will it protect? Multiple cuts in the same spot would it hold? In short, at what point does it become compromised?

[member="Sunny Lee"]

Thank you for your help, [member="Lynn Corerunner"]!

I have added an additional paragraph to the description that should address your questions. Please let me know if you need anything else!

[member="Sunny Lee"]

This seems reasonable, but just be cautious with the resulting submissions. If a suit is made that's roleplayed as incredibly light that can take multiple close range hits to the same place over and over it could well be reported and we'll end up digging this out.

Approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom