Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proposal: Workshops

[member="Cira"]

[SIZE=11pt]As Companies tier up, they can build bigger things in larger numbers. They can extend their reach until they’re a household name. They can field their own fleets and take a swing at Major Factions. I love the Company system and I’ve had a lot of fun with it, but there are other kinds of growth. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]I’m proposing a separate template and tier-up system for what I’m calling a ‘Workshop’. A Tier VI Workshop would still be a relatively small operation, comparable to a Tier I Company. It would, however, be acknowledged as elite in its niche. Think [/SIZE]Hattori Hanzo, Domingo Montoya, Darth Maladi, Doctor Evazan, Shug Ninx or, heck, Orange County Choppers.

[SIZE=11pt]As I envision them, Workshops would be restricted to maybe two operations total (e.g. blades and blasters, or starships and speeders), and probably Semi-Unique production at most. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]The big question, to me, is why people would want to tier up a Workshop when they wouldn’t gain a Company’s advantages (fleets, reach, mass production, etc.). I can see a few potential reasons and possible perks:[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=11pt]Prestige: Who doesn’t want their crafter to be known as the Hattori Hanzo of Chaos? [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Broader Appeal: Tons of people write crafters of one kind or another, and not all of them are interested in Company-style expansion.To quote a friend who’s been heavily involved in the Factory, “The idea of having to mass produce to grow turns me off company stuff.” If we’re all about making the Factory more accessible and interesting, this could really help. [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Fun Codex Opportunities: Submitting a factory is boring. Submitting a personal workshop is awesome.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Invasions: This is a bit out there, but I think it could be awesome. Workshops would be localized to a single planet, so what if (at Tier III or IV or something) the Workshop’s owner doesn’t count towards ally restrictions if that planet gets invaded? In theory, they’re already there, probably have their own agenda, and need to decide which side to support. Could make for some excellent stories.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Dev Thread Exemptions: We’re all about reducing dev at the moment. Currently, no dev threads are required at Unique production for Beskar, Phrik, Cortosis, Songsteel, Echani Graphite, Ionite, and Pyronium. What if Workshops of a certain tier (III or IV maybe) also got those exemptions at Semi-Unique? (Like most of the above elements, this stuff is contingent on what form the Factory takes after the big overhaul.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]As for what it takes to tier up, some of that depends on what Company tier-ups look like after the overhaul. I think it would be cool to see a focus on ‘Personal Commissions’ in place of company/faction contracts. ‘Do X threads creating things for individuals, or arranging their creation’ -- something along those lines. Tiering up could be substantive but simple: four unique or semi-unique submissions, four Personal Commission threads, and bam, you’re Tier II. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Potential template (modified from the Company template):[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Image Source: (Please link to where you found the image, or to the original artist if possible. TinEye or Google Image Search can help.)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Canon Link: (Please link the canon link if applicable canon company.)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Primary Source: (Please link and cite the sources which you are modifying for your use in your submission.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]WORKSHOP INFORMATION[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Workshop Name: (Straightforward. What's the workshop called?)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Location: (Where is your Workshop? For example, [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Shug Ninx[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] was based at the Spacebarn on Nar Shaddaa, and [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Tem Madog[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] was based at Vur Tepe on Tython. A Workshop usually has only a single location. If your location has an approved Codex or Factory submission (such as a starship), link it here.)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Specialty: (What is your Workshop’s claim to fame? A Workshop can have up to two specialties (e.g. personal weapons and vehicles, or personal starships and armour).[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Tier: (How skilled is your Workshop? New Workshops start out at a maximum of Tier 2. This is done on a scale of 1-6, with 1 being a very small or new Workshop, with little support or influence in the galaxy. Think ‘mom and pop shop’. Tier 6 could be a big, big name in the galaxy, or could keep a low profile, known only in certain circles. Even at Tier 6, though, your Workshop would only create Unique and Semi-Unique products.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]DESCRIPTION[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt](Describe your Workshop in at least one good-sized paragraph. The higher the tier of the Workshop, the more we expect from the description. If we feel like the description isn't adequate for the requested tier, you may be asked to include more detail or lower the tier. Particularly for player-made Workshops, this should detail some of the processes of how the Workshop does business. How does it handle special commissions? Is it loyal to a particular government or faction? Does it craft and sell to anyone, or does it restrict the distribution of its wares by allegiance, wealth, or personal worthiness? It's the little details like this that we're looking for.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]RATIONALE[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt](How did your character come to own and control the Workshop? Did they make it? Inherit it? Hostile takeover? Or does your character play a supporting role in the Workshop, such as apprentice to a master crafter? Please write at least five sentences in this field)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]PARENT CORPORATION: (If this Workshop is a subsidiary of a Company of Tier III or higher, please name and link that parent corporation here.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]
[/SIZE]

I would also see it being practical for personalized services (like law, medical practices, etc.) or other services that are otherwise impossible for one to provide at a faction level...

[member="Jorus Merrill"]

I could really root for this. As honestly, it's hard to get large company or major faction support, especially if no one knows you. Especially if no one knows your new character. When I say it's 'hard,' I mean... what reason would someone want to put the time and effort in to helping a smaller company grow? What do we have to barter, realistically, to entice someone to help us? Restricted Materials? Half of those for Unique are free now. Basically, if you don't have a long-term friendly relationship with someone IC or OOC, no one really cares.

However, it does present the problem that, in general, Companies are Too Easy. There needs to be emphasis on buying from others. Everything that is "Mass-Produced" may as well be "Unique" because it's so rarely used. How many things in the Approved section are actually used? There looks to be over 2,000 Approved Starships, but even if we did 100 of the Mass Produced ships, Open Market, how many are used by more than 5 people?

Your commoner, who has found some money, walks into a village to acquire a sword of fine craftsmanship so he can use that sword to hunt down bandits, and earn more coin, and then to get a nice suit of armor.

That rarely ever happens in Chaos. Instead, your commoner walks into a village with some coin, and decides to buy a shop, put up a sign, and make whatever he wants, the way he wants it, because no one ever makes what he wants. Additionally, the vast majority of commoners do the same thing.

Companies are too easy, and honestly a lot of work and effort, and proof of work, should be put into even making a business. Less emphasis on making a business, and more emphasis on buying from a business. Otherwise they are just self-manufacturers for the owner.

[member="Eddak Manod"] Let's not forget that NPCs buy these things (for stuff at limited to mass-produced levels) all the time in the background... they just escape PCs' notice. These sales would show up in the IC balance sheets, however, just that no one ever thinks of even using corporate balance sheets in a thread.

Also let's not forget that the IC business moneylending market is a lot more lenient for new business owners than real-world commercial/industrial lenders. You could say that it's easy for new characters with presumably clean credit records to take out commercial loans numbering in the tens of millions.

MuHZQMT.gif

[member="Cathul Thuku"]

If there's no documentation of the sort, it really doesn't happen. With my soldiers, you don't see them, right? No, not the militia. I have Troopers, wearing old stormtrooper armor. I have an armor of them. They have slugthrowers, shuttles, decent armor, but you wouldn't know that, would you? Not even my Militia men use anything anyone has ever made. I would make an effort to contract with more companies, and buy their products for use, but as I said...

Eddak Manod said:
As honestly, it's hard to get large company or major faction support, especially if no one knows you. Especially if no one knows your new character.

[member="Jorus Merrill"]

I am pretty much staying on target. You want to make Companies more worthwhile... what's more worthwhile than people actually using company-made products? If you create this workshop system, and just that, nothing will change. How many people will actually use the workshop and purchase from it?

Eddak Manod said:
How many people will actually use the workshop and purchase from it?
I'm betting more than use corporations' lists of mass-produced subs.

People like custom, elite, or rare stuff. I've made a ton of it with a ton of companies and it just about always gets used. Unique and semi-unique things are way more likely to see use than mass-produced things. As just one example, here's a thread where so many people are lining up for custom ship mods that I'm having trouble staying on top of the demand.

[member="Jorus Merrill"]

I'm just not sure how many people would, especially if they can make their own company and just make what they want, without the hassle of dealing with people or waiting. I count like four people. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be rude, I just feel while the company system is great, it's lacking, or near useless to the public.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Sure. Though keep it away from PvP or Invasion incentives. 2 cents.

Also,

Eddak Manod said:
I'm just not sure how many people would, especially if they can make their own company and just make what they want, without the hassle of dealing with people or waiting.
Making stuff in the Factory is a chore. But getting Jorus or Draco to make stuff in the Factory for you? That's brilliant. :D

Eddak Manod said:
I just feel while the company system is great, it's lacking, or near useless to the public.
You must be new here. The Marketplace is like, the best thing ever. :p

[member="Cira"] - some initial thoughts on tier-up requirements:

A Workshop advances in tier by creating Unique or Semi-Unique submissions, and by participating in Personal Commission threads.

A Personal Commission thread involves providing your Workshop's specialty products or services to a PC or NPC controlled by another writer. This might involve creating a product, delivering a service, discussing a character's relevant needs, or obtaining necessary materials.

Advancing at higher tiers may require a Mastercraft Project, an innovative product or service which shows evidence of significant effort. The project must primarily benefit a PC or NPC controlled by another writer.

Tier I to Tier II
3 products and 3 Personal Commissions
OR
4 Personal Commissions

Tier II to Tier III
4 products and 4 Personal Commissions
OR
6 Personal Commissions

Tier III to Tier IV
5 products and 5 Personal Commissions
OR
8 Personal Commissions

Tier IV to Tier V
6 products, 6 Personal Commissions, and 1 Mastercraft Project
OR
12 Personal Commissions

Tier V to Tier VI
7 products, 7 Personal Commissions, and 2 Mastercraft Projects
OR
16 Personal Commissions

[member="Jorus Merrill"]

I really do like this format. Let's continue to fine tune and I'll run it up. I am open to providing this to the factory as a new method for crafters to enjoy crafting things and work for goals.

Jorus Merrill said:
Invasions: This is a bit out there, but I think it could be awesome. Workshops would be localized to a single planet, so what if (at Tier III or IV or something) the Workshop’s owner doesn’t count towards ally restrictions if that planet gets invaded? In theory, they’re already there, probably have their own agenda, and need to decide which side to support. Could make for some excellent stories. Dev Thread Exemptions: We’re all about reducing dev at the moment. Currently, no dev threads are required at Unique production for Beskar, Phrik, Cortosis, Songsteel, Echani Graphite, Ionite, and Pyronium. What if Workshops of a certain tier (III or IV maybe) also got those exemptions at Semi-Unique? (Like most of the above elements, this stuff is contingent on what form the Factory takes after the big overhaul.)

I am not so sure about this bit, but we can work on what may be potential benefits for higher tier end workshops.

Thank you for the suggestions and keep tweaking on it more while the Factory is closed.

[member="Cira"]

Still brainstorming with people on and off. Here's one thought that came up.

Jorus Merrill said:
Dev Thread Exemptions: We’re all about reducing dev at the moment. Currently, no dev threads are required at Unique production for Beskar, Phrik, Cortosis, Songsteel, Echani Graphite, Ionite, and Pyronium. What if Workshops of a certain tier (III or IV maybe) also got those exemptions at Semi-Unique? (Like most of the above elements, this stuff is contingent on what form the Factory takes after the big overhaul.)
What if, at some tier or other, a Workshop can pick just one of those RMs as a specialization? Something like this: "At Tier IV, a Workshop may choose one Restricted Material (specifically beskar, phrik, cortosis, songsteel, Echani graphite, ionite, or pyronium) to add to its Specialty list. The Workshop is exempt from RM objectives for that material at a Semi-Unique production level."

Other possibilities:

Forget this-

Jorus Merrill said:
As I envision them, Workshops would be restricted to ... probably Semi-Unique production at most.

-and just make it the opposite of how Companies level up. Right now, Companies above Tier II or so only count mass-produced items for tier increases. What if Workshops don't have a hard restriction (which could make sense - like if, say, they're collaborating with a big Company) - but only Unique and Semi-Unique subs count for Workshop tier increases?

One note that is probably obvious but isn't stated: if both elements are approved, I think it would be best to tie the Master Crafter tag to the tiers that require Mastercraft Projects (V and VI).

My brainstorming project for the day is to figure out what criteria, if any, would be appropriate for firming up the definition of 'significant effort' for a Mastercraft Project.

[member="Cira"]

So far as Mastercraft Project criteria go - objectively measurable criteria that don't require a judge to go 'i think this counts, probably' - a basic 100 posts per project is probably the simplest way. That said, I'm leery of post count being the main or sole criterion. Anyone can grab a buddy and spam out 100 posts of nonsense. What would be excellent would be an objective, like an RM objective, that's unique to Mastercraft Projects. Maybe we could roll with something like 'endure great personal sacrifice to learn from the legacy of a past master in your field.' It's repeatable enough to manage three projects, it's flexible enough for a wide variety of approaches, and it's directly relevant to the story of the thing you're making, as well as the story of your Workshop's development.

[member="Cira"]

I pulled together and tweaked all of the above. Here's the current proposal:

[SIZE=11pt]A Workshop is a small operation, comparable in size to a Tier One Company. A Workshop’s growth in tier reflects increasing prestige and expertise in a specialized field. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Template:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Image Source: (Please link to where you found the image, or to the original artist if possible. TinEye or Google Image Search can help.)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Canon Link: (Please link the canon link if your Workshop is a canon company.)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Primary Source: (Please link and cite the sources which you are modifying for your use in your submission.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]WORKSHOP INFORMATION[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Workshop Name: (Straightforward. What's the Workshop called?)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Location: (Where is your Workshop? For example, [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Shug Ninx[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] was based at the Spacebarn on Nar Shaddaa, and [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Tem Madog[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] was based at Vur Tepe on Tython. A Workshop usually has only a single location. If your location has an approved Codex or Factory submission (such as a starship), link it here.)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Specialty: (What is your Workshop’s claim to fame? A Workshop of any tier can have up to two specialties, such as ‘personal weapons and vehicles,’ or ‘personal starships and armour.’)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Tier: (How skilled is your Workshop? New Workshops start out at a maximum of Tier II. Tiers increase on a scale of I-VI (1-6), with Tier I being a very small or new Workshop, with little support or influence in the galaxy. Think ‘mom and pop shop’. Tier VI could be a big, big name in the galaxy, or could keep a low profile, known only in certain circles. Even at Tier VI, though, your Workshop would only create Unique and Semi-Unique products.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]DESCRIPTION[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt](Describe your Workshop in at least one good-sized paragraph. The higher the tier of the Workshop, the more we expect from the description. If we feel like the description isn't adequate for the requested tier, you may be asked to include more detail or lower the tier. Particularly for player-made Workshops, this should detail some of the processes of how the Workshop does business. How does it handle special commissions? Is it loyal to a particular government or faction? Does it craft and sell to anyone, or does it restrict the distribution of its wares by allegiance, wealth, or personal worthiness? It's the little details like this that we're looking for.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]RATIONALE[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt](How did your character come to own and control the Workshop? Did they make it? Inherit it? Hostile takeover? Or does your character play a supporting role in the Workshop, such as apprentice to a master crafter? Please write at least five sentences in this field)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]PARENT CORPORATION: (If this Workshop is a subsidiary of a Company of Tier III or higher, please name and link that parent corporation here.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Increasing in Tier:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]A Personal Commission thread (10+ posts) involves providing your Workshop's specialty products or services. This might include creating a product, delivering a service, discussing a character's relevant needs, or obtaining necessary materials.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]A Mastercraft Project thread (40+ posts) involves providing an especially innovative product or service, in keeping with your Workshop’s specialty. The thread must center around filling one of the following objectives:[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Your character endures great personal sacrifice to learn from the legacy of a past master in their field;[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Your character defends their Workshop against near-impossible odds;[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]In desperate circumstances, your character must use their specialty to improvise a solution using extremely insufficient/unsuitable resources.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Both Personal Commissions and Mastercraft Projects must directly benefit a PC or NPC controlled by another writer (e.g. no ‘I made myself a sword to protect them’ rationalizations), and may be completed by a single writer. Threads cited to increase the tier of a Workshop cannot be used to increase the tier of a Company, and vice versa.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Tier I to Tier II[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]3 Unique or Semi-Unique products [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]3 Personal Commissions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]OR[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]4 Personal Commissions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Tier II to Tier III[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]4 Unique or Semi-Unique products [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]4 Personal Commissions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]OR[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]6 Personal Commissions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Tier III to Tier IV[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]5 Unique or Semi-Unique products [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]5 Personal Commissions[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]1 Mastercraft Project[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]OR[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]8 Personal Commissions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Note: At Tier IV, a Workshop’s owner may request the Master Crafter rank tag.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Tier IV to Tier V[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]6 Unique or Semi-Unique products[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]6 Personal Commissions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]OR[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]10 Personal Commissions[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Tier V to Tier VI[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]7 Unique or Semi-Unique products[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]7 Personal Commissions[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]2 Mastercraft Projects[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]OR[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]12 Personal Commissions[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]2 Mastercraft Projects[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Note: At Tier VI, a Workshop may choose one Restricted Material (specifically beskar, phrik, cortosis, songsteel, Echani graphite, ionite, or pyronium) to add to its Specialty list. The Workshop is exempt from RM objectives for that material at a Semi-Unique production level.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]
[/SIZE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom