Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prologue: Tempering Steel Wings

A JEDI'S DESCENT: PATH OF DARKNESS
PROLOGUE, TEMPERING STEEL WINGS
AFTER TENDING TO HER FRIEND AND MASTER NIMA TANN, CHARLYRA ARAANO
HAS RETURNED TO TYGARA AFTER A LONG JOURNEY. FROM KESSEL TO MORELLIA, TO DAHOMEY,
THE FIRE ACOLYTE HAS TRAVELLED THE GALAXY. AND IN DOING SO HAS UNLEARNED
WHAT SHE HAD LEARNED DURING HER TIME IN THE JEDI ACADEMY. REUNITING WITH MASTER TEMPEST
CHARLYRA NOW CONTINUES HER JOURNEY AS A MEMBER OF THE FIRE ORDER.
Charlyra over the course of the last few months, her life had gone from living off whatever she could find wandering about the Tatooine desert to learning how to adjust to material wealth. She'd once lost herself to the sanctimonious code of the Jedi, or what she had thought had been sanctimonious, in fact, she had thought a lot of different things about the Jedi in general. It had only been now, after having gone through her own crucible that she was able to comprehend what it was her late master had been trying to teach her. Through the teachings of her new masters Tempest and Siobhan Kerrigan, and now it was time to train once more, the last time she had trained. Tempest and Siobhan had just met Charlyra and were only just becoming acquainted with her abilities.

By now she had fought side by side with them on Ruusan, she had been there on Tabaqui and served on Dahomey, and Kessel. For as strong as she had become in the force, she still had a lot to learn, the Fire Acolyte had only now begun to embrace her emotions. To learn to use the force for what it was and that was a tool, a useful tool to have in battle. She had returned to Tygara for one of two reasons, one was to train and the second was to purchase a small home on the beaches of Tygara to herself.

First and foremost she needed to train, she and Master Tempest had yet been afforded the opportunity to train properly. Master Siobhan and Charlyra, however; had not only trained but bonded, she recalled their trip to Tython and Chandrila, and of course nearby to Taris. It had been quite an emotional trip and it was for not, although they should have known better - but at least the two came out of it with a stronger bond. On Tygara, Charlyra awaited Master Tempest in the Gardens on the Villa, the Villa was the home of Master Siobhan Kerrigan and her family, her wife Tegaea Alcori and their daughters, and servants along with the servant's families.

Having been forged in the hottest fires, the Fire Acolyte Charlyra Araano was now ready to be tempered into a powerful instrument of both battle and knowledge, to be balanced within the Force itself... to be...

3EZpgUW.gif
[member="Tempest"] | [member="Siobhan Kerrigan"]​

Tempest

Storm of the Force
[member="Charlyra Araano"]
Tempest emerged from the villa, dressed on an unpretentious close-fitting outfit. She had her lightsabre at her side, but she also carried some training blades as well.

“Welcome back, Lyra. It’s good to see you again. I know we’ve not had as much time to train as I’d like, but let’s get started. What areas specifically did you want to train in?”

Charlyra smiled and nodded toward her master in acknowledgment, crossing the Gardens she came to stand beside Tempest. "It is good to see you as well, Master."

The Tygaran sun loomed overhead giving light to the surface below, it danced across the Gardens and gave way to the shadows that played against the grass. Tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "No, we haven't, though I suspect that'll change today." She gave Tempest a reassuring smile, "perhaps we can begin with weapons? Ruusan has taught me that I need to diversify my blades." A talented duelist who was held back by her apparent tunnel vision with shoto blades, "I've trained with shoto's for so long that I fear I am of no use to you nor Master Siobhan if I am to use either one of your blades during battle."

"Would that be something we could focus on? As well as lightsaber forms perhaps?" Truly, Charlyra wished to be more of a swiss-army knife than a singular blade to the Fire Order.

[member="Tempest"]

Tempest

Storm of the Force
Tempest nodded.
“For my part I’d like to learn how to use the smaller blades myself. I feel that’s definitely an area I should work towards. Now, I’m no duellist, but I do know someone who can assist if needed, and I can handle myself for training.”

She offered Lyra a practice blade. “It’s low powered so we don’t slice anything off.”

“So, tell me how that feels in your hand. Do you know any forms of single long blade combat already?”

Tempest for her part was of reasonable skill in single bladed Form V, with lesser proficiencies in Form I and III.

Charlyra stood in the gardens listening to her master as the winds blew by them carrying with them the whispers of the force, and with it. She could hear those who had passed on. Her eyes softened and her reply was just as soft, "I am quite proficient in Ataru and I am comfortable with my Jar'Kai although it is not perfect, a smile on her lips with Tempest's asks her about the blade in her hand. "Awkward," she takes a step back, "I'm not quite used to the distance or reach that it has, shotos require me to be here." She takes about two steps forward, "and this has me here, so it's a little awkward.

The acolyte reflects on her master's question, "I am familiar with most forms of combat, although I would be grateful if we could start in Shii-Cho and then perhaps progress into Shien?" She asks, and adds, "I'd be quite alright with whatever direction you choose of course."

Her training vestments were light in weight, although their color did signify her rank as an acolyte, "mhmm, I think it's been long enough that my stance is not quite proper, does this look right?" She's very unsure of herself at the moment then again she's holding a longer blade, "and now that I've had it for a moment, this does feel heavier - almost as if I've three shotos," and then a moment, "though I might be exaggerating."

[member="Tempest"]

Tempest

Storm of the Force
Tempest paced around her student and carefully moved Lyra fractionally into the correct position.
“There, that is the proper Shii-cho stance. It’s a general stance, able to give you movement into attack or defence, movement or stability. Now, activate the blade, Lyra,” she ordered.

Taking her own practice sabre, she activated its yellow blade and stood beside Lyra.
“Now, I want you to follow the basics here. There’s five basic attack and five defensive drills for you to use.”

She demonstrated each in turn. The attack moves were fairly basic diagonal slashes, the defence likewise. It was basic, though of course that simplicity could be a virtue when your opponents were flailing around.

Charlyra nodded, "alright," it was odd to be holding a blade of such length, "okay activating the blade." She activates it smoothly and then watches as her master demonstrates the basics. She was often used to the faster-paced movements of the shoto and having to mind her footwork. In this moment she had to remind herself that this was the proper blade and not the shoto. One, two, three, four and five, and repeat, one, two, three four and five, "Like this?" She watched her master again and now having been older and not a young, wet behind the ears padawan she once was...

"Right, okay, and one - two, three, four and five," down, and again, "one, two - three, four and five," up and repeat. She was definitely going to have to hit the weights so that her arms could be more properly adjusted to using the longer blade with ease. Charlyra wanted to ask about footwork but knew better, that'd be getting too far ahead of herself. So she went back to the drills, repeating them and keeping her stance proper, her posture proper and her feet set the way they should be set for Shii-Cho.

[member="Tempest"]

Tempest

Storm of the Force
“That’s it, good! Now, footwork. Shii-Cho is not a fancy footwork form. It’s very centred, very balanced. It doesn’t have you sliding around like an ice rink. No, I’ll show you.”
She faced Lyra, activated her practice blade and stood opposite her.
“Now, use those attack forms, and I’ll demonstrate defence footwork. Then we’ll swap.”

Lyra would not be experienced in the moves, but that was fine because Tempest wanted to teach, not defeat.
As Lyra attacked Tempest showed how defensive footwork was mainly back and forth, changing balance from fore to hind leg, moving to remain the most balanced stance of all.

“Soresu has a lot more lateral movement, and Makashi takes this to the extremes with duellist moves. Shii-Cho however is a lot less movement orientated. Right, now, you block and I’ll show you attack.”

The attack footwork was remarkably similar, being almost entirely forward and back, changing balance points.

[member="Tempest"]

Heh... Charlyra was pretty poodoo with both of those forms as well, in fact, she was pretty poodoo with most forms in general. She'd focused solely on Ataru and Jar'Kai that she'd boxed herself in as a bladesman and that - that wasn't good. But, that was why she was here, training and learning new forms with regular blades and relearning her footwork. So that she would not meet the same fate as Master Qui-Gon Jin. Centered, balanced - and then Tempest began to demonstrate.

Aye, the Fire Acolyte was not experienced in these moves, but that was just fine.This was why they were here, training, so that she could become experienced. It took all her willpower to not switch her stance and immediately move into Jar'Kai or Ataru, the forms of which she was most comfortable. "Perhaps it should be noted, that I am not proficient with either of those forms," she breathed as she brought the longer blade up to block, block, ow, block, ow, block, ow, block - center, balanced. Charlyra focused and steadied her movement she had to be where the river parted and not the river parting.

The sounds of their practice blades could be heard, as well as the practice sounds of ha, ho, hi-ah as the blades clashed against one another or in some cases a body part. Shaking off the last hit, "again." And once more she would defend, remembering the movement of the blade, the one, two - three, four and five, one - two, block, three, four, block and five. Definitely hitting the gym to lift weights later, "and again." She wanted to get the defence down as much as possible now.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWi36KmOde8[/media]​

Tempest

Storm of the Force
Tempest obliged by attacking once more. Lyra’s moves were uncertain, but that was part of the point. Soon she would know them instinctively.
“Shii-Cho is known as a random form. Its attacks are somewhat unfocused at times, but we’re doing these slow. The key is, at full speed, to keep which one of these attacks you use as random as you can. An enemy can zero in on you if you use a predictable pattern, so you need to let the Force guide you as to which you use.”

Eventually they stopped for a rest and Tempest stretched out. “Good, good. This form is pretty basic because it has parts of all the others. It’s a good one to learn with a longer blade to get you used to the length and weight.”

Charlyra was glad for the rest, taking a towel to her brow she dabbed her forehead and face dry. "I'll say," she commented, "will need to work on my strength - I feel sluggish and I know I'm not, but the longer blades are heavier." Shii-Cho was random, which meant she had become predictable in Jar'Kai and Ataru, which to be fair. Most Jedi Knights went to those forms as well, unless you're Obi-Wan in which case Soresu was your friend. Charlyra would actually have to look up what Makashi was, actually. Squinting to keep the sun out of her eyes, the acolyte rotated her shoulders.

"Should we go again?"

[member="Tempest"]

Tempest

Storm of the Force
Tempest nodded, standing and flexing.

Battle was joined again, and she saw improvements in Lyra’s pose and moves. She was getting better already.
“I suggest you get one of those duelling droids. They can help you refine the basics of each form. Then you can move on to proper drills against others.”

She deactivated her blade and stepped back. “You’re doing well. Now, there’s not too much which is special and advanced with Shii-Cho. There is however its blaster deflection technique which I’ll show you though. Though not as good as Soresu it’s one of the better forms for defence, better at deflecting than reflecting.”

A pair of droids emerged with sting blasters, ready to fire.

Charlyra bowed after their battle, "perhaps it would be best if I practiced in the Dojo." She offered up as a suggestion and then listened to what her Master had to say, "indeed, although - may I make a request?" The acolyte looked down the hilt of the blade, "may I have wooden weapons? With weight similar to this? So I don't cut off any other body parts in the process." Then she wouldn't need to worry about shorting out her blades and she could work better with the pacing on her own terms. She wiped the sweat from her brow and looked up to the sun, for a moment. She watched as the wind carried strands of leaves with it, and she smiled.

"Thank you," she acknowledged the compliment and listened again. Blaster deflection, for Ataru it was less about the blade and more about moving faster than the bolt, and from here Tempest brought up droids and Charlyra came into her stance ready to mimic her Master's moves. She watched the demonstration and then moved in on her own, and readied herself for the bolts. Closing her eyes she pushed everything else away and focused on the force, moving the longer blade she blocked one bolt and the other two stung, thankfully - she knew better than to open her eyes. She went at it again, three more bolt stings, taking it on she opened her eyes and stepped away for a moment before nodding to her master, "again."

Once more she had to let go, and rely on the force.

She improved on this around. "Again."

Charlyra was pushing herself to nail this down.

[member="Tempest"]

Tempest

Storm of the Force
Tempest did not argue, but simply reset the droids when asked. It was key for Lyra to want to continue, to show her dedication and to learn from her mistakes.

At the end of the next bout she stepped in and took Lyra’s place. “Watch. You must change your philosophy of defence with each new form. You’re used to speed and power, something this will not give you. However, it gives you better control.”

The droids started up, and Tempest was pleased when she didn’t immediately blow it and get zapped. That would look embarrassing!

Rather she batted aside each and every blast, reflecting some back at the droids, but mainly just pushing them aside.

“Now, you try again.”

Charlyra shook off the hits and watched her master once more and bowed with respect, "yes Master." And she stepped up once more, and centered herself, this time, the results were much better. "Once more," she asked as she moved her neck to either side and got back into position. Now her natural reflexes were coming into play. Her fluid movements although shaky and rough because of the size of the blade. She was still blocking, it wasn't pretty but she was leaning more into the form, block, block, step, deflect, and step again. Deflect, block, deflect, step, step, step deflect, block, step, deflect and block. It was random but she was improving, she only got stung a few times from slipping into a form of anticipation of which she chided herself for.

After awhile she felt much like the child she once was when first learning to use a blade. Her mind began to adjust to the weight of the blade, admittedly, her arms could probably handle it. They were mechanical in nature even if they looked real. Charlyra's innate ferocity was starting to show the more she worked with Shii-Cho's movements. Doing more than simply trying to nail down her master's demonstration, but making it more into her own. A key reason for learning a new form is to not be trapped, and not become trapped in combat. Everyone by now knew of Qui-Gon Jin and wished to avoid his fate. Jar'Kai and more importantly Ataru required movement, space, freedom of movement to be able to accomplish what you needed to. Brute strength wasn't a necessity, but rather dexterity, and now - now Charlyra was working to balance that out.

[member="Tempest"]

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qu1JKdshxg[/media]​

Tempest

Storm of the Force
Lyra’s progress was very good. It was well that she was versed in a style which was similar though by no means identical to Shii-Cho.

When they stopped again she had some more pointers, but less this time.

“You’re doing well, Lyra! Now, did you want to press on with this or try something else?”

Charlyra was feeling a little more confident in her Shii-Cho abilities and once more went to wipe the sweat from her brow. Looking to her Master, she thought on the question. To be honest there was a lot she still had to learn. A lot to do, "something else," she says with the towel in her hands, "back on Ruusan - I was quickly running out of energy." Then again she hadn't quite put her abilities to use in such a capacity. Charlyra did not want to find herself in such a situation again, she recalled the moment her knees hit the ground as her body fell to the sand kicking up a billowing cloud of dust in her wake. "So much so I overdrew on my own reserves twice, I wish not to experience that again," because at Ruusan it was the first time Charlyra had active force powers to use. For quite a long time she'd been fine on her own with more passive abilities, and defensive ones - but these offensive abilities were quite draining, beyond her own scope of it all..

[member="Tempest"]

Tempest

Storm of the Force
“Your reserves will get bigger with time. The Force is infinite, but you’re not, that’s what Siobhan always used to tell me!”

She towelled down her own face and set it aside. “Practice, use the Force. Meditation does have its uses, not just for Jedi. Using the Force allows you to use the Force more and for longer. There’s a limit of course, it’s different for everyone, but over time you’ll find your limit.”

“There are some specific things you can do though. The elemental powers we both use are quite draining. The important thing is focus. You don’t need to magnetise a whole walker, just the bits you need to break for instance. Practice focusing on small parts of a larger object and see what that does for you.”

"Of course, Master." Charlyra acknowledges with a smile. Force meditation, introspection a ritual she would have to get back into the habit of doing. In the mornings she meditated anyway, as she did in the afternoons and evening. Still, now she supposed working an introspection into those sessions was going to have to be a requirement now. Her attention focused on Master Tempest as she continued to speak, and speak with regards to elemental powers. "Focus seems to be Order of the day," a casual look now as she places her hands behind her back. "On Ruusan I could see everything, the magnetic lines of the planet, the electromagnetic pulses of ... well, everything." It was quite daunting actually, "and on Tabaqui there hadn't been much so finding who and what we needed to find was easier."

"Master," she calls, "I have seen something before - a shield. A battle shield I believe, perhaps if we have time later." Not on that day, obviously, they already had chosen their set focus, "I'd like to learn how to use it properly. I ... have a few ideas." There were several ideas for the shield. "Perhaps now we could focus on the smaller objects?" The smaller objects in which she could fine tune her elemental powers.

[member="Tempest"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom