Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Portent | Defense Committee

if they're watching anyways
1002508070-photo-u1_autoformatq60fitcropfmp_3.png

div-green.png

Dracken Pryce Dracken Pryce Valette Puritis Yumia Valette Puritis Yumia Raphael Calgar Raphael Calgar Feridade Parthi Feridade Parthi Kel Se'Taav Kel Se'Taav Natasi Fortan Natasi Fortan

It did not feel real yet.

Ryloth had been devastating. Tragic. But they were lightyears upon lightyears away. There was a knife at her back, somewhere, but she couldn't feel it. Not yet.

The meetings were a haze; mostly it was press releases and public statements, assurances to distant worlds that, yes, should the Mandalorians come for them, the Alliance would aid in their fight, and yes, they were managing their application for membership as quickly as possible, and yes, supplies and arms were on the way, and no, they couldn't deploy the whole fleet there, and it was all being planned-

And now she was on the way to see the plans, approve the requests, all that. But it was still not wholly real. It was hard to tell if this feeling was worse than what she'd be feeling soon.

"Thank you, friends," she said, taking her seat at the head of the table. "I call this session to order. I will humbly remind you that we are, unfortunately, on the clock. Let's begin with the proposals you've developed."

The assembled members of the Defense Committee had been hastily assembled a few times over the past few days. There were smart people in this room, but with so little time and so much room for conflict, she didn't have the greatest expectations of what they'd accomplished so far.

GADividerYellow.png

E8xU0r8.png

| Location | Coruscant
| Purpose | Handle the rising Mandalorian threat
| Focus | Auteme Auteme

Feridade quietly made his way over to the meeting room where the Defense Committee was to assemble, having recently been approved to provide his insight and assistance in light of the growing Mandalorian Enclave threat as they had made a bold announcement to the Galactic Alliance of what was to happen should any one of their former territories were to call upon the Alliance for help as evidenced by the events of Ryloth. While Feridade did sympathize with the people caught under forceful subjugation, the recently appointed Senator of Eshan could only offer the most logical courses of action to remedy the immediate situation in an attempt to bring it under control.
Feridade would soon arrive at the meeting as among the first to arrive, offering a small, humble bow to the Chancellor before speaking, " Chancellor. " he spoke in a soft tone as he promptly took his seat. He would let his fellow members of the Defense Committee say their piece as a show of respect to the seniority of the senators present before providing his own. He had been apprehensive about the vote to wage war against the Enclave, but with people such as Mandalorians, war and bloodshed were all they knew. It was only a matter of time before they decided to set their sights and put the Galactic Alliance into a position where they would be forced to intervene. War had been declared and now it was left to the judgment of him and his fellow peers on how best to put the wild beast down.

Last edited:

Up until recently he'd maintained his distance from Coruscant. Sessions could be called in or skipped entirely. Nothing had been so important that he had to leave his little ranch on the Coronet Frontier...Until the Sith reared their ugly heads. Ever since that first attack on an old Jedi archive it felt as if he'd been on Coruscant for ages. Maybe, he realized as he stepped into a room full of unfamiliar faces, he should have come to soiree with his collogues more often.

Natasi Fortan. A name he'd thought long consigned to the grave. Supposedly she'd been stuck in that strange phantom zone known as the Netherworld for some time. That was one rumor at least. The other was cloning like her ex-compatriot Caarlyle Rausgeber. But by the Force did she look the same. Not aged a day. Ironic. When the Alliance and the First Order began their war she'd been her senior and enemies. He a lowly captain and her leading her corrupt imperial force on a burning path across the stars. Now they stood as equals and he was the senior and she the junior. He wondered if the Alliance was making a mistake taking her in, but Tithe had been a boon for them in the end and he'd come from Sith and later Imperial stock.

The others...He didn't know by face but knew by name or reputation. He didn't know their politics and he didn't know which way their ties went...To their pockets, or their people. He hoped it would be the latter.

He offered an old smile to the Chancellor as she entered and bowed his head in a show of respect. Like she said, they were short on time and his proposal...Well he imagined it would be better to sow the seeds now.

"Chancellor, I know the Jedi were the first to come into contact with the Mandalorians and express their potential threat to the Senate. Has the Council moved to place a Jedi liaison within the Senate and Defense Council? While Master Noble, er, Kahlil Noble Kahlil Noble , addressed the Senate at the start of the conflicts the seat has remained vaccant for years. When should we expect a more clear line of communication with the Jedi, the Senate, and the Military?"

"When should we expect a more clear line of communication with the Jedi, the Senate, and the Military?"

"On the matter of further communication, we need to be prepared to connect more than the senate, Jedi, and our defense force," she noted. "Our citizens are becoming anxious, especially those along the Rimma. We will need to address local militias as well."

They'd start with that for now. Yumia had resource management on her mind, what with her planet's own contribution of fuel to the GADF in preperation for the conflict, but all of that would come in time. This was the far more pressing matter at play, and Yumia waited with baited breath to see how her colleagues would approach it.

Last edited:
skin, bone, and arrogance
Natasi stood at the windowed wall, her gaze on the traffic patterns as they criss-crossed the sky outside. Dressed conservatively, as she usually was, in a knee-length navy pencil dress and a mantled cloak that gave her slender frame the illusion of broad shoulders, she did not take her seat at the table yet. Instead, she ruminated on the curious way lives changed. Half a century ago, she had been locked in a blood feud with the predecessor government to this Galactic Alliance, a war for the very survival of her people and their way of life, of the very notion of an imperial form of government.

It had been, she decided as the Chancellor swept in her characteristically inimitable way, a war over the aesthetics of white armor. The whole thing would have been hilarious if it weren't for the catastrophic waste of life and potential. And here she was, in the Galactic Alliance Senate, a member of the Defense Committee, and staring down the barrel of another catastrophic waste of life and potential. Still, though geography and common cause had made the Renascent Republic and the Galactic Alliance bedfellows, she was aware of a certain level of suspicion some of her colleagues -- perhaps even some in the room today -- had of her.

She turned and offered Auteme Auteme a deferential nod -- and let that be an answer to anyone who thought Natasi Fortan incapable of compromise -- before turning back to the window.

Natasi was not optimistic about cooperation with the Jedi; Kahlil Noble Kahlil Noble had made it plain in his last encounter with the Senate that it was to be the Jedi way or the highway as far as the wizards were concerned. That kind of cooperation bred resentment and, worse, entrenchment. "Let's not forget the Strategic Intelligence Agency," she added, finally turning from the window, to add to the commentary offered by Dracken Pryce Dracken Pryce . "I, for one, am not satisfied with the briefings my office has received regarding readiness in the galactic southwest. And in the absence of credible intelligence, I would propose reinforcing security measures and fleet presence along the major hyperspace routes, particularly the Corellian Run and the Rimma Trade Route. If nothing else, we must reassure those citizens furthest from the core of our commitment to their security."

Finally, the onetime Supreme Leader crossed to her seat and sat, primly crossing her ankles. She uncapped her pen, unfolded her folio, and began to jot notes.

i4xNFo5.png

-
So this was it, the Defense Committee. It was a bit overwhelming, he had to admit. In the grand scheme of things, it felt strange to be in a room filled with as few people deciding the fates of so many. A single planet was one thing, numberless planets and star systems was another entirely. He felt the weight of it in the air.

As the session was called to order his eyes wandered around the room from face to face, all unknown to him save for the cursory research he'd done running up to his election to Governor and subsequent appointment to the Senate. Some looked more familiar, participants in a discussion leading up to the vote which had officially entered them into war with the Mandalorians. Enclave. It's the Enclave, not Mandalorians as a whole, Raphael reminded himself. He wasn't sure if that made it better or worse, his instinct told him better. Mandalorian culture was a behemoth in and of itself but properly harnessed, well... the galaxy had seen Mandalorians on the warpath before and it was not a gentle sight to behold.

The specifics around Ryloth had been relayed but not cohesively, the benefit however was that now - none of it mattered. The die was cast and the Alliance were at war. For some planets that meant providing resources, for others it meant ramping up production, for others still it meant providing bodies to the effort. For Anaxes it meant at least the latter two, maybe more. In heart, he was against the endeavor but that wouldn't change his commitment to the Alliance. Anaxes and her people stood ready to answer this call to battle in every way that they could. Waiting for an opening, Raphael addressed the committee.

"I apologize for my brevity, introductions aside. Anaxes sits at the intermediary of several major space lanes, and given its proximity to Coruscant, may serve as a critical communications hub." His eyes fell upon the Senator of Ord Providence. "Anaxes is willing to establish a network of communications relays along these routes as well as provide advisement on the Planetary Defense front. Barring debate, Anaxes has no equal when it comes to this. Considering our unique position not only in tradition but in capability for starship production, Anaxes seems a reasonable hub for not only communication but logistics in support of the many facets of the war we find ourselves thrown into." Raphael took a breath and gestured to the committee at large. "What we have to offer, is yours."

H9JKu8a.jpg

Coruscant
Defense Committee

div-orange.png

The Rimma was a stretch of space Kel knew very well.

It’s the trade route that connects his patron world, Abregado-rae, to the Outer Rim in the southwest. During his brief tenure with the Rimward Trade League, he commanded a fleet out of Sullust in a battle against the Sith near Kal’Shebbol, where the Rimma dies. He hoped this connection, both literally and metaphorically, would play to the Alliance’s advantage.

Many worlds along the Rimma are in League space,” Kel said matter-of-factly.

Powerful worlds. Sullust, Eriadu, Sluis Van. Each of them are absolute powerhouses for our neutral friends in the south. I know they’ve been rather… unresponsive, in regards to galactic events as of late. They put up a curtain of silence during the Caldera Crisis, but I believe this can be circumvented considering it’s not only the Alliance that stands to suffer if the Rimma falls.

The Bothan’s feline eyes narrowed as he put weight to his proposal.

The League cannot survive a direct strike through its heart, and we cannot hope to fare much better if the role is reversed. If the Rimma falls, we both shall suffer. Greatly. But if we make fast allies with the League, we can count on not only their support in the south but peace of mind for our people knowing two great powers are protecting them.

My proposal is to make formal contact with the League Council and develop a joint defense pact for the Rimma Trade Route. A unified defense fleet from both nations, safeguarding the lane from GA space all the way down. This is a task I’m more than willing to see to fruition personally, given my history with the Council.

Last edited:
if they're watching anyways

Auteme was surprised to find herself leaning on the more cautious side when it came to mixing the Jedi and certain Alliance structures. This was, truly, a different Senate -- and she'd change with it.

"Master Noble is the representative for the New Jedi Order. I believe there's a spot of administrative worries before he gets the title officially, but it won't be long. As for a direct connection between the Defense Committee and the Jedi, I think the nature of that should be sorted out first, but I think it's a valid proposal. They've been symbols in the past, and they're more popular with the public now than ever." Her mind wandered back to a conversation she'd had with a friend about the role of the Jedi. Symbols, whatnot. The Alliance would never turn away heroes, but was that what they needed in this war?

"Senator Fortan, I think you make a good point, though I'm curious about your hunch on our southwestern border. On the subject of intelligence -- the SIA has been encountering some roadblocks to embedding agents into the ranks of the Mandalorians. It's a difficult task to forge a clan history and unique beskar armor that will fool them. But, I've been promised that they're finding solutions.

"Senator Calgar, the Alliance is always appreciative of the contributions of Anaxes.

"Senator Se'Taav..."
At this, she paused, frowning. The thought that sprang to mind pained her -- in her heart she found the structure of the League to be fresh and stable, moreso than the Alliance's, but she was looking at it sinking under poor foundations and disrepair. "I've heard the League does not think highly of us. And, unfortunately, I'm inclined the same way for them. I am never opposed to allies, but the League -- well, I shouldn't mince words. They seem impotent. Do you think a pact with them could genuinely strengthen the both of us? The Rimma is important, yes, but in my mind it'd be best to contain the Mandalorians before they can cross the Corellian Run. Do you think you could convince the League to bring a significant force to that point? My understanding is their fleets are preoccupied with holding the border with the Sith."

skin, bone, and arrogance
"I wouldn't call it a hunch, necessarily," Natasi said, looking up from her notes to fix her dark eyes on the Chancellor. "Mostly I was adding my thoughts to those expressed by my honorable colleague." She dipped an elegantly coiffed head toward Valette Puritis Yumia Valette Puritis Yumia . "Granted that fleets can move in any direction and, with the right navicomputing, needn't rely upon hyperlanes. Notwithstanding that, hyperlanes remain the most efficient way of space travel. Presuming the Enclave are cognizant of this truism -- and frankly, I've never had a lot of success relying on the cognizance of Mandalorians, but that's neither here nor there -- they would, if attacking, route their fleets accordingly."

She tapped the controls at her station, causing a map of the galaxy to flicker to life above the table. Another few taps and the influence clouds of the major powers appeared, and one more caused glowing lines demarking major hyperlanes appeared as an overlay.

"From their location, their most efficient routes are going to be northeast on the Mara Corridor to the Parlemian Route, which would take them through the space of this... Empire of the Lost." Her tone left no question as to her lack of regard for the Empire of the Lost. "That way, with respect to my colleagues representing those worlds, contain worlds that are still recovering and would be -- shall we say? -- economically burdensome to the Enclave. Their power base is smaller than ours, which suggests these would be obligations they would be scarcely able to afford."

Natasi paused a moment. "The previous disclaimers apply, however, and there is a risk that the Enclave either doesn't know this, or doesn't care. And there's always the perennial possibility that they're interested less in conquest than bloodshed, so who really can say? However, going southwest along the Mara Corridor to the Corellian Run could take them deep into Alliance space. Look at the industrial centers just there along that line: Corellia. Duro. Humbarine. Cato Nemoidia. And there are just as strategic targets along the Rimma and the Corellian Trade Spine: Ukatis, a possible breadbasket for the Alliance. Thyferra, a major source of bacta. Hitting even one of the targets along these paths would impact our ability to effectively prosecute a war."

And I should know, she added silently, because I was there when the First Order was planning the old Galactic Alliance's downfall, and the analysis hasn't changed that much. Natasi sat back, picked up her pen, and resumed jotting notes.

GADividerYellow.png

E8xU0r8.png

| Location | Coruscant
| Purpose | Handle the rising Mandalorian threat
| Focus | The Defense Committee

Feridade listened to the proposals of his peers, offering each of their insight into the situation before he spoke, first in regards to the topic of the Rimma, " If anything, a formal alliance with the League would bolster our southern borders from the Sith. It is not unlikely that they might see the war against Mandalorians as an ideal opportunity to attack as well and open up a second front. While the League may not be the most valuable of allies, their resources, and position would staunch and ebb the flow of our own. "
He paused as he glanced down at a holopad in his hand, " I'd recommend pulling resources and forces from sectors not under any immediate threat or consideration of attack by the Mandalorians and diverting them to the Expansion Region and Mid Rim, increased security and patrols to ensure that as Senator Fortan pointed out lessen their chances of striking at key planets necessary to our war effort. While Mandalorians have a history and penchant for guerilla tactics and being unpredictable, protection of our border resources is vital at this time. "
He set his holopad down before lifting one leg to cross the other, " As Ryloth clearly demonstrated, the Mandalorians are keen on retaking former territory that once belonged to them. If their little...endeavor, for reclamation is to be with of little violence, I'd also suggest we not offer aid to any of their former territories for the time being lest we suffer another bloody incident such as Ryloth again. Sanctuary to those who seek refuge certainly, but I am hesitant about sending further aid or resources to planets where the Mandalorians may provoke a violent response that would waste our own and bolster theirs. "

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom