Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Porcelain Heart

Darth Imperia

D
As any who had known her for long could tell you, Darth Imperia had a flair for the dramatic and tastes that ran towards the ludicrously expensive. Her home was a castle fit for hundreds, every room lavish and ornately decorated. Her robes (made only from the finest silks) were extravagantly embroidered, her jewelry crafted of the most precious metals and gems, and her servants hand-picked for attractiveness and skill. She was a Knight of the Sith, after all. She had a right to indulge herself. And yet tonight, this was not the case. Imperia’s robes were simple black silk, her jewelry modest silver – and there was not a servant to be seen. Because tonight was special. Tonight, under the light of the moon, in a grove surrounded by shadow, the Knight had a confession to make.

She was in love.

It wasn’t an emotion she was used to experiencing; she had felt the love of a child for her parents, and an owner for her pets. But romantic love? She’d faked it before, certainly. She’d warped other people into feeling it for her, to suit her own ends. She knew the chemical process behind it, the physiological effects it had upon those struck by it. But to actually experience it was something utterly alien to Imperia; she’d thought her capacity for that sort of sentiment had withered away, ripped from her as payment for her power in the Dark Side. And yet - whenever she had nothing to plan, no schemes to enact, no slaves to amuse her and no opponents to crush, the former Jedi dominated her thoughts. Only for Aria had Imperia ever been truly altruistic, and it was only Aria that could be said to have Imperia’s total trust.

Imperia was in love, and she had to tell Aria.

So she did what felt right, what felt natural.

She set up a picnic.

In the midst of a Dark Side Nexus.

Perhaps it was a bit unorthodox, but being surrounded by the Dark Side imbued within Imperia not just strength and power, but also confidence. She could not afford to lose her nerve, not with something so utterly important on the line. Only when so submerged in the Darkness did Imperia ever feel at home, and so in the Darkness was where she would make her play. As for the picnic itself, it was simple, but obviously put together with thought. A jet-black blanket laid beneath the shade of a tree, a bottle of wine, vintage 800ABY, a pair of delicate crystal glasses, and a variety of traditional ‘picnic foods.’

Aria would arrive soon enough – she had never failed to do so before, not when it was something truly important. And this was exceptionally so – the Knight had poured her withered, tainted soul into the occasion.

She just hoped it was enough.

---

[member="Aria Vale"]

Ah, the butterflies.

Imperia's invitation had set Aria off in her usual spiral of emotion. Excitement, nerves, intrigue, a multitude of other feelings that Aria really wasn't sure how best to describe - or, bundled all nicely together, the butterflies.

First came the tingling sense of anticipation that always arose when Aria knew she'd get to spend time with Imperia. Those such encounters happened every now and then; and whenever they did, that same feeling of excitement was invariably the first thing she noticed. She simply genuinely liked being in Imperia's presence. The Knight was one of the few that Aria could honestly say it was easy to be around - one of the fewer still whose company she preferred to solitude. She didn't try to stop the smile that pulled at her features when she read Imperia's message.

Then into the overthinking process. Was it a date? It could be. This was Imperia, after all; she lacked Aria's reserve in such situations. It was a trait that left Aria both mystified and faintly envious, but today it could be making her life considerably easier. So perhaps it was a date, then. Even with Imperia, that was as nerve-wracking as it was elating. How very conflicting. Oh, chit. What would she wear?

After spending remarkably long obsessing over how to dress, Aria reached the Nexus in a red blouse touched with lace - it matched her bracelet, she noted with a smile - and her hair in familiar waves, although hopefully more elegant than its usual unruly state. She realised the Nexus quickly, but didn't react; perhaps only a newly made Darksider, but the intensified presence of the Dark Side wrought no discomfort from her. Much to what she expected was Imperia's delight, Aria found lately that drawing from the Darkness came quite naturally to her. Added with the Sith's own presence, Darth Imperia had chosen a rather perfect setting.

Goodness, this looked like a picnic. No, it was a picnic. And it looked so beautifully put together, too. All refined and picturesque, like something from an old-fashioned novel. Better yet - it was for her. Imperia had invited Aria here, for a picnic. Crimson crept into her cheeks, and a smile tugged at her mouth. She didn't even care for context; this was perfect, absolutely so.

Looking to the Knight brought round another, particularly intense wave of tingly. Imperia's new face was easy on the eyes already, and the moonlight cast a pleasant light on the dark-haired Sith; it made Aria especially glad that there was shade to slightly cloak her blush.

"This is gorgeous," she said quietly, sitting cross-legged on the blanket opposite Imperia. "Hi, obviously. It's great to see you again."

[member="Darth Imperia"]

Darth Imperia

D
Aria strolled upon the scene, and Imperia's heart skipped a beat. Feth, she was beautiful. And Imperia herself - horribly under dressed. She'd tried to avoid appearing too, well, like herself, a bit more modest and down to earth - but perhaps she'd overdone it? No, no. Imperia couldn't allow herself to lose her nerve, not now. This was too important. She was calm, she was in control. She knew what to say and when to say it, what to do and how to do so.

"This is gorgeous. Hi, obviously. It's great to see you again."

That was Imperia's opening. Her chance to say something clever, to make Aria swoon. With a small, warm smile and a bit of telekinetic bravado, Imperia uncorked the wine bottle and poured out a glass for her potential paramour.

"This little setup? Oh, it's nothing. At least, when compared to my guest."

Force, that was bad. It was so much harder to charm someone when you couldn't simply warp their mind. Perhaps she could - no, no, no. Aria was more than a pawn, more than another pet to add to her collection. Simply making her fall in love would ruin that - it wouldn't be real anymore.

"And it's absolutely delightful to see you as well. We haven't spoken since...since Midvinter, I think. I know that wasn't quite so long ago, but still. It's a pity." It was a pity, at least in Imperia's mind, that the two fall asleep beside each other, that the first thing she saw when she woke up wasn't Aria's face. That, however, was probably a bit too much to lead with. Maybe just a tad.

The Knight continued speaking as she poured herself a glass of wine, then corked the bottle once more - all with the Force, of course. She may have been trying to be less flashy than usual, but this was still Imperia, after all. "So, my dear. How has the Galaxy been treating you?"

---

[member="Aria Vale"]

Somehow, Aria found that she couldn't stop smiling. How could she? Imperia was there, in all her stunning queenly glory - sure, she'd dressed down for the occasion, but somehow it simply highlighted the Sith's elegantly majestic presence - she was in a moonlit forest where the Darkness flowed, a picnic sat waiting for her, arranged with all of Imperia's usual splendor. It was all so perfect, it truly was.

She laughed easily at Imperia's telekinetic theatrics - how very like her. Then her stomach went all fluttery as it occurred to her that she knew Imperia well enough, was close enough with her that she could instinctually decide that something was like her. That idea warmed her.

Because it meant Aria was close with Imperia, and the thought was thrilling; the sort of knowledge that she held close to her heart, that she remembered when she was sad and needed to smile, that she feel asleep and woke up to. She, Aria, who'd once kept everyone at a distance out of nothing more than confused fear, had managed somehow to become close with Darth Imperia, the strangely wonderful Sith who excited and solaced her every second she spent in her company. That one piece of knowledge was a jewel, and whatever should happen Aria would treat it as so all her life. She knew she would.

Imperia's opening line turned her face bright pink, and Aria lifted her glass to her lips to obscure it somewhat. Mmm, this was absolutely splendid. How did she do it? The Knight's innate flair was just one of the countless reasons Aria found her so wonderful, but it was the one currently standing out and so Aria's train of thought went towards contemplating how Imperia could have arranged this with such style; it was honestly beyond Aria, but she loved it all the same.

But enough thinking. She wasn't here to think silently on Imperia's virtues; this was a date-maybe-not-a-date, after all. However those worked.

"Oh, I've been quite well," she answered brightly, lowering her glass to focus her gaze on the Sith. "Patched myself up since Midvinter, and I've been...oh, out and about. Nothing terribly eventful, but I imagine it's only a matter of time."

Another laugh, another sip of this excellent wine. A glance up at the moon, and then back to look at Imperia.

"How about you? Been up to much?"

[member="Darth Imperia"]

Darth Imperia

D
A blush. Alright, that was good - at the very least, Imperia had flattered her companion. She was expecting a snort or an eye roll, something dismissive. For once, it was Imperia who was happy that Aria wasn't a telepath - she was an insecure bundle of nerves at the moment, and her guest knowing that would only make it worse. No, it was far better if Aria thought her hostess was as calm and confident as she typically was.

"Me? Oh, I've been well enough, I suppose. Studying, lounging about at my castle - I'm afraid I've been a dreadful recluse lately. Midvinter was my first major outing in a long, long time." The Knight took a sip of wine after she spoke, mostly to calm herself. Her heart had skipped a beat when she recalled Aria's behavior on the homeworld of the Silver Jedi. It was enough to make a girl swoon. "I have to admit - I missed it. The racing of my heart, the blood in the air," Imperia paused for a split second, and a grin found its way upon her features. "The beautiful company at my side."

Imperia gestured with her free hand, and down from the tree above the duo drifted a delicate flower, with petals of deepest red, verging on black. It took a bit of effort, but the Knight managed to settle it gently in Aria's hair.

"Speaking of beautiful - I find that suits you. What do you think?"

---

[member="Aria Vale"]

Midvinter was a pleasant thing to be reminded of. The Sith Order's skirmish against the Jedi had been spectacular fun, thanks in no small part to Imperia's help on the battlefield; aside from being a generally wonderful friend, the Knight was an excellent companion to have while fighting. It came as something of a surprise that it was the first recent mission of its sort for Imperia - Aria knew her as a devout Sith and an outgoing one. But, then again, it hadn't been that long since Silara's murder, and-

But it wouldn't do to ruin the mood, would it? She was trying to stay upbeat here. Honestly, Aria. Quickly, she went back to thinking on how much fun Midvinter had been.

"It was good to fight with you," she agreed as the Knight spoke, her grin still yet to fade.

She looked up as Imperia gestured, watching with a sort of entranced happiness as a flower landed in her hair. Force, she must be blushing unbelievably; Imperia seemed to be exceptionally good at making her blush. If only Aria had the Sith Knight's brilliant knack for pulling off grand gestures so smoothly, she'd perhaps be doing exactly that on a regular basis. She possessed no such talent, of course, but a girl could dream.

On the other hand, swooning when Imperia executed such gestures was something Aria was all too happy to do. Still bright red - or perhaps it was bright pink; it was hard to tell, but she was definitely blushing - Aria shuffled, until she was sitting closer to Imperia.

"Thank you." Aria was bad with words. Always had been. She wasn't sure what else to say; but she had to thank the Sith. "Just - for everything."

For being here, she would've said.

[member="Darth Imperia"]

Darth Imperia

D
Composure be damned. Imperia could, at least for tonight, stand not to appear aloof and distant. When Aria shuffled closer, Imperia reached out and wrapped cold metal fingers around Aria's hand with surprising tenderness. And for a brief moment, that was all; she sat there, holding her companion's hand. Partly, yes, because she just enjoyed the contact, the closeness to the woman she loved. But also partly because what she said next required courage, and not the sort that allowed the Knight to face foes far more intimidating and deadly than she. No, that was easy. What Imperia was about to do contradicted everything she'd been taught as a Sith, and everything she'd learned on her own.

"Aria, my dear," The Knight turned her head and offered her companion a warm smile, just a hint of pink coloring her cheeks. The anxiety in her voice was apparent, even for someone as, er, awkward as Aria could be. "Do you remember what I told you, when first you asked my name? I told you I had none, for I deserved none. And - that was true. I believed it with all of my heart." Imperia paused, just for a moment, and squeezed gently down on Aria's hand. "But there's another reason. My family's alive. My family is happy, blissfully unaware that their sweet daughter is now a Knight of the Sith." The next words came after a short pause, and if Aria looked close enough, she might've even seen tears welling up in the Dark Sider's eyes. "And I'm telling you all of this, my dear -" She paused, her words shaky and her breath much the same, to recollect herself. She could do this. It was difficult, yes, but she was strong. She was powerful. And most importantly, she trusted the woman before her more than anyone in the Galaxy. "I tell you all of this so you know that what I'm about to share, I don't share lightly."

Another pause, this one longer.

"Mala Arar."

---

[member="Aria Vale"]

Even when Imperia was perhaps making no effort to make it appear so, Aria had always thought the Sith to be a generally very composed person. She wasn't certain she could claim to the same air of self-assurance - sometimes, perhaps, or at least she hoped - but Imperia, she knew very well to have a wonderful confidence innately.

So to say that it surprised her to pick up on the anxiety in the Sith Knight's voice - she, so socially clueless, and Imperia, so eternally confident - would've been something of an understatement. And that brought on a whole host of other emotions - yes, in the few seconds she had before Imperia continued, she managed to completely overthink the entire thing. Had she done something wrong? She didn't think so. Had she done something right? Had she even done something?

But then she returned to reality and picked up on Imperia's monologue, and -

Oh.

Aria made a small noise at the realisation. Had...that just...happened? It felt surreal to have a new name to put to Imperia's - Mala's face. No, that wouldn't be fair of her; the girl had sacrificed her identity to earn a new one - a Darth title, no less - and Aria ought to use it. But more than that, she'd been trusted with Imperia's former identity moments after being assured of its significance. It was important.

Utterly lacking the ability to communicate her rush of affection through words, Aria reached over to hug the Sith Knight; a genuine, warm embrace which, as Imperia would doubtless know by now, did not come easily to the Echani in most circumstances. Should Imperia not end the hug early, Aria would take a few very long moments to pull away with some reluctance.

And the word love seemed to reverbrate in her mind.

[member="Darth Imperia"]

Darth Imperia

D
It wasn't often that someone surprised Imperia, at least not when it came to social situations. She had a knack for reading people, and for predicting their reactions. She wasn't infallible, by any means (although she might disagree), but it was still a rare occasion that someone did something that she didn't expect.

She didn't expect the hug.

It simply wasn't in Aria's nature, by Imperia's estimation. The girl was friendly enough, but always a bit withdrawn, a bit reserved, and incredibly awkward at times. All that said, the Knight wasn't about to complain. Quite the opposite, in fact - after the initial shock reaction, Imperia's heart swelled with joy. She returned the gesture and wrapped her arms around the ex-Jedi, staying silent for a long while. Should she say it? Of course she should say it. It was obvious that Aria felt the same way about her, and not simply because Imperia could quite literally feel the love - perks of being a telepath. Imperia silently cursed herself as the embrace came to an end, and then, well.

Then she gave Aria a kiss. It wasn't anything dramatic or major - just a quick peck on the lips. Something that, under normal circumstances, Imperia could do without a second thought.

These, however, were not normal circumstances. What she'd just done wasn't a hollow gesture, another tool in her arsenal of manipulation. Nor was it fueled solely by lust and desire, as was so often the case with Imperia. No, that kiss, no matter how minor, was real. It meant something. And that - that was new. It was a normal, human reaction, performed by a woman who had come to thrive on and revel in inhumanity.

"Aria," the Knight began, then faltered. Her voice broke, just for a second. She could do this. With a deep breath, the woman began again, her voice steadier, more confident, but still obviously nervous.

"Aria Vale, I love you."

---

[member="Aria Vale"]

The kiss ended too fast.

Aria had only a moment to realise what was about to happen, what was happening, what had just happened. It was perfect for that whole moment and then it was over, and Aria had only just registered the kiss but she knew she hadn't wanted it to end. She was still for one second. Then another. And one more for luck.

She'd been about to lean in to kiss Imperia back when the Sith spoke again, and she stopped herself.

"Aria -"

This was important, wasn't it?

"Aria Vale, I love you."

Oh.

For a split second, she panicked. Not because she didn't feel the same - unusual as it was for her, somehow Aria knew she loved Imperia with a curious certainty. No, that wasn't what had her momentarily in anxiety's grip. The words - they held more than an expression of sentiment. It implied a commitment, to an extent; Aria had been trying so hard to avoid anything with a degree of permanence about it since she'd left the Jedi, afraid of getting in too deep again without being completely certain of her choice. That was, perhaps, the only reason Aria had to look upon her turn in a sad manner. Over two decades of her life, and they were gone, and in the end, they'd meant nothing.

But this was different. It had never been that way with Imperia - being around her, it had never been an effort, always something she wanted to do of her own accord, always something she wanted. More than that - did it have to mean anything beyond a simple expression of sentiment? Couldn't it just be what they made it, nothing more, nothing less? It was what Aria wanted, it was what Imperia wanted. Wasn't that enough?

She leaned her head on Imperia's shoulder and took a sip of wine.

"I love you too, Imperia."

[member="Darth Imperia"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom