Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Please Do Not Feed the Trees

There was that floaty feeling again as he pulled her down beside him. She folded against him, nuzzling his neck as he spoke. Ugh, she didn’t want to think about finding a new spot, moving camp, worrying about more animals or acolytes stumbling upon them… it wasn’t as if she knew what the best option was. But he was laying the decision at her feet…

Ishani paused. At some point her gentle kisses against his throat had gotten a little rougher, and now she realized she was on the verge of giving him a hickey. She pulled back, abashed. Yep, probably should get busy. Going back to sleep was no longer an option, nope.

Uh… precautions? What kind of precautions?” she blurted. “We haven’t really explored the area yet. And I feel like… I’m going to be pretty useless as long as I don’t have any of my weapons or tools.” She said that last part with some reluctance, though she knew they would have to get her stuff back eventually.

He closed his eyes contentedly as she nuzzled up against him; it hadn't been his intention, of course, but he was more than happy to receive her affection. One hand lifted and gently ran through her hair as the options were pondered over, the action in and of itself was rather organic, subconscious, but it felt right.
The more she was left to consider it though, the more distracted she seemed to be. By the time she pulled back Thesh himself was rather flustered, his cheeks flushed. He peered down at her despite that, slipped his hand down to lightly cup her cheek so that she would look up at him. Then he leaned in, and lightly kissed her forehead.
"Precautions," he stated once more, as he slowly pulled back but kept her close. "We could string up some bits and pieces, make a rudimentary alarm system. They'll clank if he gets too close. Or we could set traps along the hill." He shrugged, not really minding which option they really went with in truth. They could also just do nothing, and keep alert now they knew it was a potential threat.
"As for getting you a weapon... That's something we can fix."
But he didn't move to rectify it. He just leaned in for another kiss.

I’d probably… trigger any traps myself… I’m very absent-minded,” she mumbled, biting her lip. “The alarm system doesn’t sound too bad though…

She heard the rest about making a weapon—she was very interested in that—but forgot about it almost immediately afterwards as he leaned in for another kiss. “Thesh, you’re killing me here…” she said, halfway between a whisper and a moan before their lips met.

Wrapping her arms around him, she pulled him on top of her as they fell in a clumsy sprawl on the grass. Her hands snaked their way into his shirt, wandering as they pleased while her mouth was preoccupied with his.

Her fingertips found something on his right shoulder, tracing unnatural lines and ridges. A mark, like a brand. She wondered what it was, and when she broke the kiss for air she was about to ask him, then thought better of it. “We… should probably find that water first,” she gasped. Maybe if she jumped in it she’d cool off a little, and then they could both think about more important things than screwing around on a hill.

No traps then... But a system to alert, yeah that could work... Definitely...
Truth be told he wasn't too occupied by thoughts of the beast by now. They'd deal with it when they had to, and he'd set up some sort of perimeter when he could, but his attention was almost entirely taken up by the girl. The floodgates he'd kept shut for so long now had well and truly broken open, and it was a dizzying realization that he didn't really know what to do with.
Was this just a heat of the moment type of thing? Leftovers from their brief fight the day before? Would they come to despise one another over the next few days instead, when such faded? Would they even see each other again when this was over? Over and over his mind tried to work to break it down and render it void.
Her whispered words snapped such right from his mind.
He enjoyed the moment for what it was, neither of them pushed too far from the realm of what they'd already explored the night before. There was a small sense of urgency but it wasn't enough to make them reckless. And that was good... It seemed good. Her fingertips brushed over the branding on his shoulder, and though he tried not to he could not help but tense up.
Most of the time he'd forgotten it was even there. In that moment though it was all he could think about.
He too gasped when she pulled back moments later, though it wasn't entirely due to a lack of air. His cheeks were flushed once more, though this time there was a small amount of embarrassment lost within his expression too. As though she'd stumbled upon something she shouldn't have, and he didn't know how to respond.
She didn't mention it though. He didn't know if that was a blessing or a curse. It just left things unsaid, things that would no doubt arise in the future. Whatever that future might have been.
"Uh.. Yeah," he said, with a small nod of his head, "Yeah, water... water's good..." Slowly he rose up out of the grass, and ran a hand up through his hair to slick it back away from his face. When he stood up he dusted off his trousers some, an aimless action to keep his hands busy, before offering a hand down to help her up too.
Even now he could hear that stream which lay below, but the trees obscured it from view. Exploring their surroundings was wise, help them realize what they might be up against. He'd made promises the night before to see her armed once more, he'd have to see to it that he was good to his word of course. Much to do.
This expedition wasn't supposed to become quite so... complicated. That was one word for it, wasn't it? But as he glanced down at Ishani he felt very little in the way of regret toward the way in which things had played out.

She got up and similarly dusted herself off, though in her case her entire backside was covered in grass and dirt. While she started walking down the hill, much of her focus was on running her fingers through her hair to get all the bits of weeds and other gunk out of it.

Occasionally she cast a fond glance toward Thesh, but she had gone quiet, not sure what to say. The mark on his shoulder lingered at the forefront of her thoughts. She had only felt its outline and couldn’t tell if it was a symbol, an image, a letter, a number, or something else entirely… much less why it was burned into his flesh. He had reacted with such shame to her finding it, she was afraid to ask what it was. For the time being, anyway. Ishani couldn’t leave things alone for long.

Down the hill and a little ways through the trees, they found the source of the sound. Water ran in a stream over the rocks leading down the hills. The noise grew louder as they followed it to its source, the land gradually becoming rockier and steeper until it became obvious this was not a hill, but one of the slopes of a mountain. Water tumbled down a small cliff into a pool, which then drained into the runoff they had stumbled upon first.

Ishani’s first impulse was to dive in screaming. She hesitated, looking into the water to see how deep and how dirty it was first, then took off her shoes and socks, setting them on a rock. Next she looked at Thesh, then at the water, then back at Thesh again, a rather funny expression on her face as she mentally debated whether or not to remove any more articles of clothing with him around. “I won’t get naked, don’t worry,” she said. “Um, just… down to my underwear, I guess?” Her questioning tone made it sound almost like she was asking for permission, or perhaps just warning him. She didn’t want to make things more complicated, but she also didn’t want to be walking around in soaked clothes.

In any event, she disappeared behind a big rock, and a minute or so later there was a splash. Her head emerged above the surface of the water, pushing wet hair out of her face. “It’s cold… it’s definitely cold!” she sputtered, laughter coming in gasps. “I’m awake! I’m alive!” Of course, she would’ve preferred a hot shower to dunking herself in a cold stream, but she would settle for what she could get.

They walked in silence, but it was a weird silence. It wasn't inherently uncomfortable, he didn't feel the need to fill the void with mindless chatter, but there were definitely things left unsaid. A little ways down the hill he reached out and quietly took her hand, eyes fixed ahead. He could feel her gaze upon him here and there, but his mind was too lost in thought to reciprocate. He'd squeeze her hand though each time in reassurance.
She seemed just as happy to remain quiet as he was. It was almost peaceful, he could almost ignore the fact they were being watched, that they were amidst countless dangers. It felt... normal. Serene even.
As they came upon the stream he glanced left then right along it, and ultimately walked the way in which the water flowed from. In search of its source. The foothills of a mountain far vaster than their little hill was their reward for such. Pure water then, streaming down the mountaintop from glacial peaks. He scanned upward, through the trees and toward the top, then turned toward Ishani.
The girl was busy removing her shoes and socks. It seemed she had been serious when she mentioned wanting to go for a swim. It brought a very slight smirk to his lips, she was willful to be sure. Some might even argue wild. But that was better than prim and proper. Prim and proper was decidedly boring.
"By all means," he said, before she dipped away to undress. He kneeled down in her absence, dumped the contents of his flask into the grass and then refilled it from the stream. He scooped some of the water up with his hand, and sipped at it. It was clean, rejuvenating. Better than even the bottled stuff, though no doubt the bottled stuff was recycled. This was... yeah, pure.
He screwed the top back on his flask, replaced it to his satchel, and then kicked off his shoes, removed his socks, and turned up the ends of his trouser legs. By the time she splashed into the depths he was wading up to his calves, enjoying the cool brisk ripples which lapped up against his legs. He leaned down, brought handfuls of water up to splash at his face. If he had been sleepy before he was more than awake now.
His gaze shifted to the girl as she shouted out in elation, a goofy grin set upon his lips. It was a little reckless, given the circumstances, any number of threats could overhear and come looking, but in that moment he didn't rightly care. Let them come, he figured, they would not find him so meek today.

It had been years since Ishani had gone swimming. She’d spent much of her childhood near the ocean, and had taken swimming lessons at some point, but the move to Tatooine had put a stop to all that. She was quick to remember, however, and waded confidently into the deeper end of the natural pool. Overall, it wasn’t very deep, but her shortness meant that she could submerge herself fully regardless.

In contrast, Thesh was lingering in the shallow end, still mostly dressed, filling his flask. Again, Ishani found herself wanting to speak, but she was afraid to. Afraid of ruining this… thing they had going, whatever it qualified as. She didn’t think she could call him her boyfriend yet, although… if they got through this clusterfeth of an expedition, maybe that was an option. Hey-o, talk about an incentive! But it just seemed so fragile. Maybe because it was new? Or... did she see Thesh as fragile? Come on, Ish. He's a redhead, he's gotta be tough.

Either way, she knew her window of opportunity was closing. The longer she waited, it would only make it more awkward and jarring when she did eventually ask. So she decided to test the waters. "You don't have to answer this if you don't want to," she began, wading out towards him. "What was that mark on your shoulder?"

It would have been nice to actually submerge in the water, but for now he was happy to merely wade. They would be here for some time, how long exactly hadn't been stated but he knew it was more than one night. Wasn't really survival if you knew you'd be fine the next day. Maybe tomorrow he'd try again, or maybe he'd chicken out. Who knew.
His reason for hesitating was quickly dashed against the rocks though. He had expected the topic to arise, but certainly not this fast. If it had been so quick he thought it would have been on the hill. Instead she had brokered it here, in the water. Perhaps feeling refreshed had something to do with it. What did he know?
To begin with he didn't look her way when she asked. She had asked it in a nice enough way, given him the wiggle room to back out of the discussion if he wished it. It was almost tempting. Alas, he knew how much an unknown fact could eat away at someone, it felt rather cruel to dangle it in front of her, and then snatch it away at the last minute. Sure he hadn't intentionally brought it to her attention, but the cat was out of the bag.
No use shoving it back in now.
"It's a brand," he stated, and as he spoke he began to awkwardly rub at some scarring upon one of his wrists. Might not have been inherently obvious that it was scarring though, might have simply looked like he was rubbing at a spot. Almost like ringing hands together in discomfort. "I told you yesterday that Thesh wasn't my actual name, right?"
It was only now that he turned his gaze toward her, though he didn't exactly match her eyes with his. Just sort of looked in her direction. Then, with a slight sigh, he turned until his back was to her and hiked up the back of his shirt. A multitude of different scars were present upon his back but he didn't bother to address them, he simply pulled until his shoulder was exposed and allowed the sunlight to glisten off the raised, slightly white scar that lay there.
It was in the shape of the letter "Thesh".
"It's the name that was given to me. Not even really a name, just a way to get my attention. When I was given to Do-- Darth Maliphant, I had no real name to give him. So I became Thesh."
With his back exposed for far longer than he'd have liked, he hastily pulled the shirt back down and turned toward her. This time he didn't even make an attempt at looking her in the face though, his eyes drifted to the ripples atop the water he stood within.
"Arcturus is a name I claimed for myself. But it feels... weird. It's so new. Thank you, though, for using it..."

Within seconds, she felt guilty for asking. By the time he completed his explanation, she wished she had just left it alone.

Compared to her fellow Sith acolytes, she knew she was considered rather… innocent. She wasn’t an orphan, like so many of the others. She’d had a happy childhood, absent of any major traumas. Certainly, she’d never been a slave.

Her mind was still processing this awful piece of information when he turned and lifted up his shirt. The other scars on his back drew her attention first, her thoughts leaping immediately to lashings, though some looked more like battle scars. Her gaze settled on the brand, which was indeed in the shape of the letter. Was that really what she had felt?

She started to reach forward with a dripping hand to touch it, but he turned around again before she could make contact. Her arm quickly lowered and her fingers flexed as if to grab his hand, but she didn’t know what to do or say. Her first instinct was to try and comfort him, but what good would that do? These things had happened to him years ago, and she didn’t want to come across like she pitied him or was babying him. At the very least, some things she had noticed were starting to make more sense.

The water was only at waist height for her. She started to cross her arms over her chest self-consciously, yanking one of her bra straps that had slipped down off her shoulder back into place, then stopped herself. He wasn’t looking at her. Instead, he stared at the surface of the water where she stood, looking like he was ashamed or just… beaten down.

Arcturus,” she said. “I’ll call you that from now on, if you like. If you don't remember your, er, birth name...” She gave him a chance to respond, then quietly asked, “Does Maliphant… own you, then?” She wanted to know whether he still considered himself a slave, or if he had at least achieved technical freedom, if not emotional emancipation.

Last edited:
His response had certainly added some tension to the air between them. But that was the thing about pasts, they were messy and filled with baggage... In the end though, it was simply that: the past. As much as Thesh was defined by his experiences, he'd also made waves toward breaking free from them. Toward moving mountains that had once stood firmly in his way.
Her hand lowered as he turned, and he considered reaching out to grasp it before it fell back into the water. He couldn't bring himself to though, playing it off like it was nothing would be insincere. And they were well past that at this point. The water rippled further as she moved around in it, earning her a brief upward glance as she tried to cover herself up. He looked away again to give her the modesty she sought.
"I don't remember before the Sith," he informed her, by way of explaining the lack of a birth name as she called it, "There were others before Maliphant, but even those feel like another life. I don't really remember much about all of that either. I would like that." To have another acknowledge the name he'd chosen for himself was a powerful feeling, it bolstered some of the strength which had been waning since she'd first taken note of the branding on the hill.
He met her gaze once more.
"Technically, yes. I belong to him. A gift, I think... Or maybe I was simply a test for him." He shrugged his shoulders; this was before he became Darth Maliphant, after all, back then he'd known him as simply Master. He supposed he still did, but now others did too. It wasn't just the boy anymore. Maliphant commanded far more than he. "But he was quick to have me break those chains. While Master he might have remained, I went from slave to student..."
His expression changed ever so slightly there, a furrow in his brow. That he carried the name Thesh still spoke to the ways in which he still clung on to that existence. He knew it, he felt for sure she would quickly realize it too, but if she'd seen the changes, knew where he'd come from, maybe she'd realize the accomplishment.
The progress.
Finally he shook his head, and reached out to take one of her hands. The one not trying to cover her up. "It's okay though," he said, and there was now a sincerity to the statement, "I don't think about it much these days. Kinda forgot the brand was even still there." He'd been caught off guard to be sure, but opening up about it helped. Even if only a little bit. He let out a soft exhale of air, and then it looked as though a weight was lifted from his shoulders.
"You're cold, aren't you? Do you want to go further in, or do you want me to grab you something to dry off with?" Submerging in the water would help to stabilize her temperature once more, the cool air on wet skin was likely not helping at present. But he understood if she was no longer in the mood to swim.

She was unsettled by the vague way in which he answered her question. Technically yes, but also no. Was he or wasn’t he property? Would someone have to murder that albino fop of a dark lord for Thesh… Arcturus… to be considered a person of his own?

Well, as long as you’re not considered anyone’s property anymore,” she murmured, raising his hand to her face. “Maybe it’s not too bad to consider you a gift…” She kissed his palm, then met his gaze. “I really like you, Arcturus.” She rolled her eyes and snorted. “Not that it’s that much of a secret at this point. But knowing about this doesn’t make a difference to me. All it means is that I will curb-stomp whoever did that to you, if I ever find them.

Never mind that it was ludicrous to imagine her curb-stomping anybody.

Yeah, I’m… done swimming. It is cold, heh.” She started to get out of the water, realized just how cold she’d become, and shook her arms out to try and get some of the water off before quickly hugging herself for warmth. “One thing I’m wondering… how would you make a weapon all the way out here, without, uh… a forge or something like that?

She was changing the subject to something she hoped he liked much better.

So all had not in fact been ruined. It was awkward for a moment, sure, but it would have been more awkward if he'd kept trying to deny anything was wrong at all. His cards were out there on the table now, there wasn't really much else secret to share on his behalf. It was a liberating feeling, but he knew it could readily become a point of vulnerability too. Should she wish to make it so.
Thankfully for now that was not the case.
He didn't respond to the statement about property. Truth be told he didn't know where such lay, if he was still considered that way to the Sith. There were some among them who no doubt would never see him as anything more than the meek boy they'd stolen from Ession, alongside countless others. Than the slave they'd made him. But they were in the Empire, they did not belong to Maliphant's group. Or, he supposed, the Worm Emperor's group.
Truth be told Thesh didn't give a rats arse about the Worm Emperor. He was only here because it was where Maliphant was. Well, here being the Sith Eternal of course. Not this weird little planet they were stuck on.
What he did do was reach out his fingers to caress her cheek when she'd finished kissing his palm. He smiled, and it was once again a rather easy smile.
"I really like you too..." Also not much of a secret at this point, but it felt right to reciprocate verbally all the same. Sometimes things just happened, and worked out for the best. Even if this only lasted for their time on this world he'd cherish it for what it was.
Her enthusiasm when it came to the notion of curbstomping had him chuckling, before he shook his head. "There's no one person to find; it's okay. Honestly."
As she expressed a desire to leave the water, and began to shake off the excess droplets which lingered over her skin, he waded back toward the shore and picked up the jacket he'd deposited there before entering in the first place. It wasn't the most absorbent thing in existence, but hopefully it would keep her warm til they could light a fire or something. There was a blanket back at the top of the hill, but she'd have to be further exposed to the elements for that to work.
"I carry bits and pieces," he explained, as she questioned how they'd sort her out a weapon, "It'll be primitive, as I say, but primitive is better than naught." He pondered that for a second, before a spark of inspiration appeared within his gaze. He said nothing as he swiftly began to rummage through his satchel, which lay upon the bank of the stream, before his fingers finally curled around his prize.
"How do you feel about terentatek?" he inquired, pulling free what looked to be the very tips of perhaps a claw or a spine. He lifted it further, narrowed his eyes as he inspected the region wherein it had been removed from the larger piece of whichever it was, and the nodded. It was a claw, alright, there was still some of the venom deep within.
Primitive indeed. But that venom could come in handy to be sure.

She accepted the jacket readily. Wearing it, the hem came down to around the middle of her thighs—about the same length of the dresses she sometimes wore, although usually with tights or leggings underneath. Her hands disappeared in the sleeves.

I feel like a penguin,” she muttered, though not ungrateful for the jacket. She waddled over to where Thesh was just in time to see the claw. “Terentatek?... Are those the invisible lizards from Korriban?” She was confusing them with the Hssiss. “No… that’s too big a claw, theirs are smaller. Oh! The big monsters that walk on two legs. Th—Arcturus, how’d you get one of these? Did you kill one of them?” She still hadn’t answered his question. “If you can make a weapon out of that… I’m down.

"Me?" he said, with a light chuckle, "Take down a Terentatek?" he shook his head some and turned to look at her as she waddled toward him. He couldn't keep the smirk from his lips. Penguin indeed. It was enough to lighten the mood back up. "Nah, Melydia and I found a dying mama. Saved her hatching eggs, put the mama out of her misery. It seemed a shame to let her go to waste, so..."
He lifted the claw some.
"Figured I'd find ways to honor her."
Which got him thinking. Another eureka moment, his eyes lit up once more. He set aside the claw, careful not to let it cut him, and rummaged once more inside the satchel. He pulled out a fairly small pouch, the size of one of those medieval style coin purses, only far more beautiful and ornate, and felt its weight for a moment. Almost like a merchant ensuring they'd received the correct amount of gold pieces, if the analogy was to be resumed.
"I used some of the hide to make three of these," he said as he showed her the decorated pouch. There were beads and other trinkets hanging from the supple leather. He patted his side, where his own pouch lay. It was what he'd pulled the sand from earlier to deal with the bear. "It's not really a weapon, but it's useful. If you can get the sand in someone's eye, you'll blind'em for a bit. I think it's usually around five minutes. More than enough to make a quick getaway."
He had been thinking about who to give it to for some time now. Someone who would actually appreciate and use it, rather than horde it or throw it in the back of some cupboard to gather dust. Her innovation with the perfumes made him think that perhaps Ishani was the one who was meant to have it all along.
"If you want it, uh... it's yours."
He set it down between them, then took up the claw again.
"As I say, it'll be primitive, but there's venom still inside it. Probably not the best to use against fellow acolytes, but creatures and other threats away from here? Could come in handy..." Didn't solve the issue of acolytes, did it? He pondered that for a moment, then began to rummage once more.

Who’s Melydia?

Girl’s name, from the sound of it. A very vague flash of jealousy spiked through her, though it was quickly forgotten as she focused on the pouch of sand. “Is that what you threw at the bear earlier? Magic sand?

On the other hand, it wasn’t too bad of an idea. Sort of like mace or pepper spray, but with Darth Vader’s least favorite thing. She picked up the pouch. It didn’t weigh very much. The more she looked at it, the more the idea of it grew on her. “Thanks babe.

That was a new one. She wasn’t sure where she got it from. Gee, she went from promising to call him Arcturus to immediately giving him cheesy nicknames. Well, babe wasn’t too bad, she guessed. A classic for sure.

I hope we don’t run into anyone else for as long as we’re here,” she said with a sigh. Resting her head on her hands, she leaned forward to watch him work. “Animals, clearly I can deal with. But people…

The worry lines which creased her brow at the thought faded. “This is a little random,” she began, with an awkward but earnest smile. “But on the planet I’m originally from, Chaldea, there are people who wear these… alchemized diving suits called Atargatis Skins. It basically turns them into mermaids, or, uh, merpeople? It fuses to their body and lets them breathe underwater like a fish somehow. And some of them have fins that they can move when they swim. Probably the alchemy lets it connect to their nervous system. I’ve wanted to know how they work for so long, and I’ve been trying to get one so that I could study it… but they’re technically illegal. Got banned on Chaldea because they… because they hate the Force there. So all the Finfolk—that’s what they call themselves—went and started living out in the ocean permanently, away from all the people...

He didn't know why he thought she'd know who Melydia Gold Melydia Gold was. Perhaps because they were all fellow Acolytes? Then again this was the first time he'd had an actual conversation with Ishani. He'd seen her in passing here and there during classes but had never learned her name. Never approached her. Classes were a serious business for one such as he.
Truth be told before now he didn't even contemplate the idea of falling for someone. Yet here they were.
"She's another Acolyte. Big into animals. We were looking for specimens on Korriban when we found the Terentatek." He could sense the brief change in her as jealousy reared its head, and shook his head with a light chuckle. Thought better than to address it though, to make it seem like it could even possibly be anything more than it was. Melydia was just a friend, a good friend to be sure but nothing more than that.
There'd never been anyone more than that.
"It is, yeah. One day I'll make other variants, but for now this'll do. Sometimes I think up random things, and then have to at least try and see it made. This is one of those things I guess."
He smiled as she picked it up and tested its weight. That smile grew to a grin at the pet name. "No problem, love."
That was a little weird to wrap his tongue around. Wasn't as though he was saying the L word in that way, he'd just overheard someone say it once in a similar situation. He checked her expression, to make sure it was alright, then nodded some to her next words.
"Yeah, if we can stay out of their way that'd be great. I don't have many other non-lethal options in this bag of mine... And I really am coming around to the idea of a Terentatek claw-knife..." But exposing the other acolytes to venom would surely be a big nopey to their overseers. Shame, a couple of them could really do with a little life or death toss-up to put things into perspective.
He wouldn't actually let them die of course. But they wouldn't need to know that...
As she began to explain about her homeworld and the Finfolk therein he gathered up the last bits and pieces he'd pulled from his satchel then slung it over his shoulder.
"Wait, they hate the Force? Is that why you're not still there?" He figured that wasn't what he was supposed to take from the conversation though. "We could always try and get a hold of one? That way you can experiment... If you want?" Not now obviously, they were stuck here for now, but in the near future perhaps.
There had to be a way.

Ishani drummed her fingers against her cheeks as she strained her memory, trying to put a face to the name. “... Bug girl? With the wings? Refers to herself in the plural?” she asked, eyebrows raised. “I don’t really know her, but I’ve seen her around.” Truth be told, she kind of creeped Ishani out, though that impression was based only on the most superficial of interactions between them. At least she wasn’t as scary as that vampire chick, Aliana or whatever her name was...

“Sometimes I think up random things, and then have to at least try and see it made. This is one of those things I guess.”

That seems to be the way it is with all the best alchemists,” she said brightly.

He fired back at her with a pet name of his own. Love. “That sounds very posh,” she critiqued the word, though hearing him say it had felt nice. “Oh hell, you can call me whatever you want. Just not ‘pooh-bear’.” She shuddered in mock disgust. “My dad calls my mother that sometimes.” Which probably said a lot about her parents.

His question about Chaldea was sobering. Is that why you're not still there? She bit her lip, hazarding an embarrassed smile. “Is it that obvious?” Her smile faded as quickly as it appeared. “It’s complicated, but… well, the Chaldean Potentium is in control of the planet. They’re a cult who believe the Force is too dangerous for people to use. So they stop themselves from using it, and banish anyone who does. I didn’t get banished, I left. My parents thought I was going to the Chaldean Academy to learn how to sever myself from the Force, but instead I got on a shuttle and made my way to Korriban.

Did that technically make her a runaway? She’d never considered herself such. After all, she’d been eighteen when she left. Yet in so many ways, she still felt like a child beholden to her parents and the belief system she’d been raised in.

Arcturus suggested they might be able to find an Atargatis Skin. That brought back her smile. “I’d like that. Wouldn’t know where to start, though.” She didn’t say it explicitly, but she really just wasn’t comfortable with the idea of going back home. Not yet, anyway.

"That's the one," he said with a smile, as she described Melydia. It wasn't the way he'd have described her, personally, but the understanding was there and that was what mattered. "She has a real affinity when it comes to creatures great and small." He'd witnessed it first hand on multiple occasions now, from the beasties which lurked in the synthesizing lab to the wee beetles she seemed to commune with. One of them had taken quite the shining to Thesh. It had never really left him alone since.
His smile only grew as she continued to speak. Posh, she'd said it sounded posh. Well then he'd just have to keep using it. If only because she'd seemed a little bit critical of it to begin with. Nothing wrong with a little teasing after all. "Pooh-Bear?" he inquired, with a raised brow, "Isn't that a children's book, about an ewok?"
Definitely not that.
Things took another serious turn soon after, as snippets of the girl's own past were brought to light.
"Well I'm glad you took that shuttle. They don't want you to be your true self? Then kriff'em all. Whole damn planet..." He set them off back toward the hill then, one arm around her shoulder to try and help stave off some of the cold she was no doubt feeling. After they collected up her belongings of course. Once back at camp they could build a fire, and from there well... He had a knife to make, and dinner to start thinking about.
With any luck there'd be more than just the bears to hunt.
"A problem for another day, love," he said of the wetsuit skin, "We'll find a way that doesn't involve some weird cult trying to cut you off from the Force. I promise."

"Pooh-Bear? Isn't that a children's book, about an Ewok?"

Uhhhh… I think so? Yeah. That’s probably why it sounds so… cringeworthy as a pet name.” She couldn’t really think of a more accurate term to describe it.

But back to the depressing stuff about her past. Arcturus meant well, and his words made her smile. Yet even as she smiled, she said, “I used to be one of them. Or I believed the same thing, I guess…

She left it at that. They were leaving the stream, heading back to their camp. She gathered up her discarded clothes, but wound up walking in socks, shoes, underwear and jacket, clutching the dry bundle of her shirt and pants in her arms. Arcturus was warm, and she was happy to be close to him.

Even before they reached the top of the hill, Ishani sensed that something was wrong. As they ascended to the crest, signs that something—or someone—had tampered with the items they had left behind became clearly visible. Abruptly wishing that she had bothered to get dressed, Ishani looked around the camp warily. The most obvious damage had been done to the tarp, which had been slashed to ribbons. It looked intentional. Probably a sentient had done it with a blade, unless some animal with very sharp claws had torn it up while looking for food, which seemed unlikely.

Survival of the fittest—well, clearly somebody’s looking to get rid of the competition,” she muttered, starting to put her clothes back on.

Thesh had never been quite so grateful to have a velcro-like attachment to his satchel as he was in that moment, when they came upon the camp once more and found their tarp shredded. The blanket was no longer beneath it, and what few bits and bobs had been left behind - truthfully little, his whole life was more or less in that satchel of his - were strewn around.
"But you grew from it," he was saying to the girl as they reached the crest of the hill and the sight opened up to them. Whatever else he was going to say drifted from thought, left unuttered, as his eyes settled upon the mess.
He broke away from Ishani and moved to pick up the blanket, before offering it to her to dry off any remaining dampness. "Get dressed," he said, not looking her way to realize she had already begun to do so. There was a slight edge to his tone. Of course they'd been found. Why wouldn't they have? He approached the tarp and assessed the damage. It wouldn't work as a waterproof covering anymore, but he'd find a way to keep it useful.
The boy was rather silent as he gathered up what he could. Every now and then his eyes would stray toward the mountain they'd been at the foot of, his brain whirring a mile a minute. Then he finally turned to her.
"Best we get moving. Might be a cave on that mountain..." He was thinking maybe behind some of the water which was cascading down it, easier to keep out of sight, and it would allow them to talk without being overheard. Such was the wonders of a waterfall. But for all he knew there was nothing of the sort. Either way they couldn't remain here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom