Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paranthetical

Damon looked down at his hand. Baros didn’t shake it. That spoke volumes to Riggs about the type of man he was, and when the next job was done that they had agreed to, it would be their last. He should have just said no to start, but Teyla didn’t give him the chance. There was a sigh that escaped his lips as Baros walked off.

He turned to leave himself, but Teyla wanted a few minutes alone. That was a bad idea, but what was Riggs going to say. He trusted Teyla, that wasn’t the issue. It was Baros he didn’t trust.

“Yeah okay, but I don’t trust him to be any kind of gentleman at all, so... just say whatever you need to and let’s get out of here, hmm?”

This was the kind of meeting Riggs hated, and wasn’t ever wanting. They both had tough things in their past, but this... after finally dealing with the lingering feelings he had had for Russo, the fact Teyla had reminded him of her so much, it was their turn to deal with Teyla’s past. Riggs even had a lead on Marcus... this was supposed to be life finally going their way, then this happened.

Riggs wasn’t going anywhere. He was going to wait for her. Nothing would make him turn and head to the ship now. Teyla may have liked to act like she wasn’t having a baby sometimes, but it was clear that she was. Riggs was overprotective yes, but every soon to be first time father was... if they were worth their salt anyway...

“I’ll be here...”

[member="Teyla Ee'everwest"] [member="Baros Sal-Soren"]

Baros paused mid-stride. "I can’t see." He tapped on the forearm mounted comms device which came to life with various lights and displays. It was a small amount of light, but the best he could offer. It gave off an eerie glow that illuminated the contours of Teyla's face in a way that was not good for the Corellian. "It's always been business with us Teyla. Hasn't it?"

Had she always been this much shorter than he was? It felt odd to see her in this light, both figurative and literal. She was at once the same person he had known for years, and also an entirely different creature. Her rigid self-assurance and brashness seem to have melted away. Perhaps it was impending motherhood?

"Riggs cares for you. That much is apparent. I am glad you have found someone that will take care of you...however...the life you have chosen seems beneath your station, your abilities," he said in a whisper, "I am not disappointed, and suspect you would not care if I was, just amused. Perhaps that is not the right word for it. Congratulations on the child by the way. I take it that Riggs is the father?"

[member="Teyla Ee'everwest"] [member="Damon Riggs"]

The light wasn’t much, just enough to be able to see him.

Teyla stepped towards the light until she was standing in front of Baros. She drew in a shaky breath, "I used to believe there was more to it than that, and I waited for you to prove me wrong, for as long as I could.”

Teyla could recall how broken she’d felt after she left.

Broken from losing a connection she’d cherished, fed up with watching him go from woman to woman, and guilty for feeling like she’d deserted him. But, like Baros, over the years she’d put aside the memories of their adventures. She'd moved on. They both had. Setting aside any of the improbable feelings she’d ever had for him.

And up until now, she had been quite sure they’d never cross paths again.

“But was that really all it ever was? Was there ever anything else?”

"Riggs cares for you. That much is apparent. I am glad you have found someone that will take care of you...however...the life you have chosen seems beneath your station, your abilities, I am not disappointed, and suspect you would not care if I was, just amused. Perhaps that is not the right word for it.

“He does care...he has unflagging devotion and sometimes gets carried away because of it. But, believe me. Smuggling isn't exactly the future that I...envisioned.” she wrapped her arms around herself, rubbing her hands up and down, clearing her throat softly. “But we all do what we need to, to survive. The Sith aren’t known for their mercy, ya know? They didn’t exactly treat me kindly when they came for Coruscant the first time. I managed to cut out a small piece of happiness for myself, with Damon and our crew. But you never come back from something like that the same as before. I know you understand what that’s like, after everything with him. Isn’t that why you built this place?” she waved a hand to indicated towards his eyesore of a home, that was so vastly different from the rest of the architecture on Naboo.

“Congratulations on the child by the way. I take it that Riggs is the father?"

It was difficult to tell if he was being sincere. There was a way he said it, that caused her to wonder, but she decided to take it at face value. Part of her was still feeling reluctant to answer, but it was also out in the open now.

“Thank you, and yes. He is.”

She was quiet for a minute. “What brought you to Naboo? Why did you come here, of all places?”

[member="Baros Sal-Soren"] [member="Damon Riggs"]

Teyla stepped towards the light until she was standing in front of Baros. She drew in a shaky breath, "I used to believe there was more to it than that, and I waited for you to prove me wrong, for as long as I could. But was that really all it ever was? Was there ever anything else?”

What was she saying? Was she implying not so subtly that she had once dreamt of a romantic future between she and Baros? It certainly seemed that way. He had been in the fool in that case and not seen her meaning to himself until she walked out of his life. If he had known though would he have acted upon this? It was not clear to him in the moment that he would have. All this thought and emotion flitted through his mind quickly though. He was not one to dwell on pointless 'what ifs' or speculation. This was where he was. This was who she was.

"How am I supposed to answer that Teyla? Your baby-daddy is standing right over there. Do you really think it is wise to entertain these thoughts?" He scratched his head, "when did I become the reasoned and cautious one of the two of us?"

He tried to laugh, but it sounded strained, almost pained. Instantly he chided himself for appearing this weak and emotional.

“He does care...he has unflagging devotion and sometimes gets carried away because of it. But, believe me. Smuggling isn't exactly the future that I...envisioned. But we all do what we need to, to survive. The Sith aren’t known for their mercy, ya know? They didn’t exactly treat me kindly when they came for Coruscant the first time. I managed to cut out a small piece of happiness for myself, with Damon and our crew. But you never come back from something like that the same as before. I know you understand what that’s like, after everything with him. Isn’t that why you built this place?”

“I am sorry to hear of you suffering. There is too much of that in the galaxy today. To be honest...that is why I built this place. It harbours my passion project...if you will. Learning about the source of this suffering, and finding a way to mitigate it where possible, end it if I can. It is not right that the innocent should suffer on the whims of a few." He glanced at the home that he had constructed himself. If he was being completely honest, it was a castle to protect himself. He had never felt as safe as when Teyla had been in charge of his security detail. She left and took his peace of mind with her.

“Thank you, and yes. He is.”

Baros smiled, but behind the smile was annoyance. He was hoping that perhaps Riggs was some maniacal creep that he could rescue her from. That was not their story though.

“What brought you to Naboo? Why did you come here, of all places?”

"It is quiet. I can be alone to study. It is beautiful. There is a peace to this place that is hard to articulate. Most of all it is safe," he said as his mind was being forced away from the emotional ties that he felt forming around this relationship once again. Her proximity was enough. She had to leave. "We probably shouldn't keep your boyfriend waiting. He might get the wrong idea about us." He smiled, but it was entirely false.

[member="Teyla Ee'everwest"] [member="Damon Riggs"]

Riggs watched for a bit as the two had their conversation. He thought Teyla had closure from that part in her life but it was clear she had not. There was emotion etched all over her body language that reminded Riggs that she had once cared deeply for the man. No matter what Teyla said about it, or the fact she was with him now, Riggs knew you never truly forgot your first love. He had certainly stepped in it with Teyla already because of that.

His datapad chimed. That was odd, there were only a few people he was expecting anything from, and none of them contacted him when showed his status as busy, well unless it was an emergency.

He held it between his hands and unlocked the screen with his thumbprint. When it opened, Riggs was staring at a letter confirming that Marcus Jenkins was not only alive, but had been spotted. Riggs furiously read through the details about how he had been seen in high population centers. Nar Shaddaa, Coruscant, and Denon, were all on the list. This was news he had been waiting for and it had been a long time coming. It was almost 20 weeks. Riggs had only one measure to know that for certain.

“TEYLA!!” Riggs was shouting with an overjoyed tone. “THEY FOUND MARCUS!!! MARCUS I KNOW WHERE HE IS!!!”

Damon didn’t care if he was interrupting. This was important, and he knew Teyla would understand. It was the only other thing that he was devoted to other than her, finding Marcus Jenkins.

[member="Baros Sal-Soren"] [member="Teyla Ee'everwest"]

His mannerisms, the changes in his expression and the way he answered...that was more than enough to know.

She thought it would help bring closure, but instead, she was feeling worse than before.

“Heh...You’re right, I don’t know what I was thinking,” She replied, casting her eyes downward and shaking her head. She tried to chuckle at the absurdity of all this, but her breath ended in a hitch instead, much to her dismay.

“I’m sorry...it’s these hormones, really.” she knew the second the words left her lips that the excuse was poor. A half-life. At least it was something. “They mess with my better judgment.” tongue pressed firmly against her bottom lip, her eyes lifted up, but did not make contact with his, looking everywhere else but at him. Her chest tightened. “Just...forget I ever mentioned anything...that’s probably best.” Teyla took a step back to put a bit more distance between them, not realizing until now how close she’d been.

This was their reality.

“That’s a lofty goal,” she murmured, moving on quickly to the next subject before he had any chance to respond to what she said previously. “Sith artifacts though? I’m no Jedi, but even I would be leery about getting myself tangled up in those. They’re dangerous.”

"It is quiet. I can be alone to study. It is beautiful. There is a peace to this place that is hard to articulate. Most of all it is safe, we probably shouldn't keep your boyfriend waiting. He might get the wrong idea about us."

She was about to answer but no sooner had she opened her mouth to respond, and Damon was calling out to her about Marcus.

At first, his voice had barely registered, and she was slow to gather her coherency back - reminded that Damon was still there.

Guilt settled in her gut.

Silence.

One beat.

Two.

“Guess that’s my que.” she said finally, glancing over her shoulder.

Marcus was alive and that was exciting news, but she wasn’t yet entirely present to feel the same joy over it.

“It was good to see you. Until next time, then..”

If there would be a next time.

Common sense told her she needed to stay away.

Damon and Rafiki could make the delivery without her.

Yes...that would be best.

Leave the past where it needed to stay.

She swallowed, quickly turning on her heels to go down the catwalk and back to Damon.

Putting on the best smile she could muster.

[member="Damon Riggs"] [member="Baros Sal-Soren"]

uVIXryn.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom