Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paradoxical strategies

Bunker-level Normal
Continued from here.

[member="Darth Carnifex"] [member="Cait Falcor"] [member="Valiens Nantaris"] [member=Zee] @Horus

I'm on a CK2 kick with the latest HIP mod (CK2 stock game isn't bad but EU4 stock is boring as hell, and I have all DLCs for both). I built the HRE for the first time with the Karlings, got forced into an elective monarchy and then lost it after the second Emperor. It took a weak emperor and popular support of my character to let me grab it back (after properly dispatching the current emperor, that is). At this point, it's getting boring, so I might start up another game somewhere else, I really hate clearing out Iberia and there's not enough internal intrigue to be satisfied this game.

I'm really happy this version of HIP supports the EU4 converter, so maybe I'll be able to switch to that game once I finish one in CK2.

Or maybe Heinlein will drop for Stellaris and I'll play that again. Wakened Fallen empires sounds amazing (and perfect for a Babylon 5 mod).

So, what's your current game?

[member="Captain Jordan"]
The War in Heaven sounds pretty cool, I agree.

I'm playing an EU4 custom game at the moment. Started in the New World as a High American civ and am currently pwning colonisers.

When the new DLC comes out I might try a European nation.

Anyone doing HoI4? It's the first time I feel I can actually do the achievements in a Paradox game!
Currently doing a German world conquest and just crushed the United States which means cleaning up the minors is all that's left. Just a game and all but I feel weirdly guilty as I look at my Government panel and see Hitler, Himmler and Goering and knowing I'm spreading their reach to every corner of the world.

Bunker-level Normal
I didn't really enjoy HOI3 either. I'm tempted to try HOI4 just to see if it's any better. I might wait for a sale next year, I can't justify more than $20 for a game I might play only once.

I'm really new to paradox games, and I recently purchased Stellaris on Steam.

I've played for 117 minutes, and I'm not sure about it. Under two hours is not enough time apparently to decide whether this is a game I like to play. The reason why I played under two hours, is because after I've played two hours I can no longer return it.

Is the game worth sinking several hours into, or should I just drop it?

Sorry if this is not what this discussion is for :/

How did you do that "hidden" section (where it says "Show" and you can hide stuff. So good!

----

My favorite PDX title is Victoria 2. Its just really hard to play it anymore, because of the various UI changes that have happened in the intervening years. HOI4 is so much easier to play that Vic2, in terms of usability.

My favorite game was as Japan, where I loaded up my army, conquered and then annexed Panama. I encouraged Immigration, and slowly turned Panama Japanese. Then I proceeded to Puppet the rest of the South and Central America, except for Mexico and Brazil - whom the US had finally managed to Sphere.

I'm also loving Stellaris, where I like to play "Tall" rather than wide - i/e not use Sectors, and go for a small but stupid wealthy, power and then expand with federations. I made "Space Dwarves" and its enjoyable, but mostly I'm waiting for Heinlein.

I'm waiting for HOI4 to mature more before I really dive into it.

[member="Fatty"]
I did a review on Stellaris on first release.

Basically there's a good game's bones there. I think you'll enjoy it for about 20-25 hours but after that you'll find it gets pretty samey.

My suggestion is to play it for a while, then come back once a few more patches have been released.

[member="Valiens Nantaris"] [member="Captain Jordan"] According to Steam I've played HoI III for 5 hours and HoI 4 for 162 hours, I could never get into III but the UI changes, graphical upgrades and everything else make it closer to EU IV and Crusader Kings II than the previous Hearts of Iron entry. There's something to be said for waiting though, the AI can be frustrating. Allies sucking up all your supply and so on.

[member="Fatty"] it depends, Stellaris was one I struggled to get into. The thing with Paradox games is that they improve over time, the devs are very good at updating their games with both DLC and free patches after listening to fan feedback. If you're not sure now I recommend giving it some time and coming back later

[member="Valiens Nantaris"] I think I read that a long time ago, but I guess I was optimistic. I love games like Civ V, and obviously I love space and aliens and stuff (I create them all the time, I just started writing about five different ones last night).

You're telling me to wait a bit, so I guess you're telling me that I shouldn't return it. Should I play so more to get a better feel for it? Obviously, if I take that choice, there isn't any going back :/

I just recently got over my hesitation and picked up HoI IV and am really enjoying it. I was a bit overwhelmed by the production and supply system at first (TBH while I now may understand supply a bit more it's still difficult to me) but have gotten used to it and have really dived into it. I think the level of micromanaging that turned me off HoI3 has been reduced, at least that is what some of the devs have been saying which is the main reason I gave it a shot.

I've been have great fun playing around with a fascist Australia. I have been mainly trying to conquer the South Pacific and the British Raj before the Japanese can break through the eastern lines and steal the civilian and military factories Australia desperately needs to even have a hope to hold a candle of holding and expanding my gains once the USA and SU enters the war. Coming up against those American divisions lets you know if you minor country division design is up to snuff. But oh boy, When my 50 or so divisions hit the American line across India from Ahmedabad to the east coast those casualty numbers skyrocketed before I managed to break through and force the capitulation. But alas low Australian manpower is an unforgiving mistress, superior firepower and artillery help but I needs more divisions. And MOAR STEEL, but the accursed Poms seem content to sink all of my glorious Nippon and Nazi steel and their convoys with their infernal navy.

But overall I'm having an absolute blast and plan on moving onto a USA playthrough and save democracy, rather than crush it under my booted kangaroo feet.

I also really enjoy CK2 but have been taking a break from it for a while now. I played a lot of Stellaris when it launched but am waiting for Heinlein to hit, I agree with what [member="Valiens Nantaris"] and others have said over its presentation and depth, but my love of sci-fi and enjoyment of the base system keeps me optimistic for the future.

I have EU IV but have never really gotten into it beyond doing a quick American Revolution play-through. I have been meaning to get back to it but my burnout on CK2 has extended over to it.

It is pretty amusing, the British were needless to say rather cross when I left the allies and invaded New Zealand and Dutch Indonesia, imposing my will to build more and more factories. Sadly the soviets are breaking the Japanese in China and I fear the kangaroo is about to get savagely eaten by the soviet bear. My 50 divisions against their 200-300 or so in the Asian theater alone, that's going to go well.

If only the glorious kangaroo didn't need so much foreign steel I could stand a better chance, curse the damnable British navy.

[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

Personally, I think HoI4 is a great game but whether it is more similar or not to HoI3 I could not say other than it looks less complicated and has a more intuitive UI as a well as having an apparently reduced level of micromanaging. The ability to do silly things as a minor nation such as a fascist Australia is great and just a fun little thing you probably couldn't do in other games given the lack of interest. While I haven't done much with the major nations beyond a few cursory couple month/year games to see how much production and existing power they have and can't really speak to that experience, watching the war progress the sheer scale of the armies and different fronts of the war develop shows how the war can change radically from the soviet union falling and the war extending into the 50s to Berlin falling by 43 has made me very interested in doing a major playthrough.

But since you said you had issues with HoI3 I guess check some reviews and gameplay to see they have changed whatever problems you had with HoI3 before you spend the money. All I can say is that I am having lots of fun with it and my lust for factories, steel and supply infrastructure knows no bounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom