Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paper Planes [Nantaris]

Voss Academy
[member="Valiens Nantaris"]
The cheek of his face pushed up as Théo rested his head on a clenched fist, his elbow support the weight of his head as he looked down at the datapad on his desk. His index finger flicking out to hit the edge of the pad, pushing it little by little on the surface of the desk, he tried to stifle a yawn and keep his eyes open as the monotone voice of the Jedi teacher droned on. Life in the Silver Sanctum Academy does not always consists of force training or saber drills, but general education is also provided. Math, Basic, history, geography, art appreciation, music, languages, star mapping .. and on and on.

He is a good student, with above average grades but today he could not concentrate. Might have had something to do with not eating breakfast or lack of sleep due to stay up and reading his favourite cartoons under his sheets with torch light. No, it might also be that he is bored. Finally the teacher turned to face the class put down her datapad and dismissed the class. Théo was the first one up and out the door. Although break time and classes would begin again in an hour, Théo decided enough was enough for the day and slipped away out into the light of day.

He had no real direction, did not need one but his feet guided him to the starport next to the Silver Temple. As he neared, many ships roared above in the sky, some descending others departing and a squadron of starfighters flew off in formation. Théo stopped to watch them, a perfect V formation that skimmed over the tree tops before arcing into a sharp ascent off to do who knew what. His feet began moving once more and lead him into the main hangar. The sounds of engines, droids and voices from ground crew buzzed loud, little of them paying him attention and as he entered deeper he found a ship standing idol and unattended. It was a small starfighter, he did not know the class but it was cool.

He looked around to see if anyone noticed him before climbing the small ladder up to the cockpit, the canopy left open and invited him in. Théo plonked down in the seat, looked over the controls and wondered what each button would do, well there was only one way to find out! He pressed one and the control panel came to life.

[member="Théodred Heavenshield"]

Voss was a planet which was strange and mysterious. Those who came there, even the Coalition who nominally owned the planet, were expected to be on their best behaviour.

A sneeze filled the street, followed by a curse. It was followed by a curse so strong it made some people turn to look.

“Did you take those tablets Maya got you?” Myr asked helpfully, looking far too smug.
“Of course I sodding did. Do you think I like feeling like my nose is filled up with tar?” Valiens Nantaris demanded irritably. He hated Voss. The perpetual autumnal landscape gave him the worst hay fever of any planet in the galaxy.
“Well, we’ll be leaving soon, just got to check on those new pilots.”

Nantaris said nothing, but marched into the hanger. A pair of his fighters were sitting there, undergoing final checks before some new potential pilots from the Academy took their final tests.

As he looked around, something struck him as wrong. The cockpits were open and in one of them….

“Hey, you!” he shouted, spotting a tuft of shaggy hair inside one of them. He marched towards the fighter, eyes narrowed.

Beep..beep..beep. The blue screen scramble before sorting itself out, lines of information scrolled down before moving to the side and flashing. All the buttons on the panel lit up some static others flashed, red and blue. They wanted Théo to press them, as his eyes looked at each and every one of them, his finger trembled to do just that. But this is no toy, Théo is old enough and wise enough to know this and so he pushed away the urge of curiosity. Instead he placed his hand on the joystick, and pretended to be in a dogfight. "Phew phew phew! ... RRrrrraaarrrr . . dddddddd, break right break right!", his head leaned this way and that as if going with momentum. "I got one of my tail! I can't shake him!"....

“Hey, you!”

Théo stopped ridged. Oh no! Maybe the 'Hey you!' is not for me? he craned his neck, a mop of thick hair and a pair of sparkling sapphire blue eyes peeked over the edge of the cockpit and as soon as he layed eyes of those of the narrow ones coming toward him, he ducked down out of sight. His mind raced working out how he would explain his presence and lack of it at the Academy. His shoulders slumped, before he scrambled up and kneeling on the cockpit seat he folded his arms resting them on the edge of the ship.

"Who, me!?", he inquired, but oh that face looked serious. And he had a runny nose!

Nantaris blew his nose noisily and glared at the child.
“Yes, you little sprog, you!” he growled, pointing at him. “Get out of my fighter this instant! That’s an expensive bit of equipment, and I don’t want you mucking it all up.”

Hands on hips, he glared up at the young rascal.

Myr meanwhile came up behind Nantaris and looked up. The blue Twi’lek said nothing, but smiled at the little boy, a lot less grumpy than her boss.

Oh he was in trouble now. Théo climbed down out of the cockpit as ordered and jumped off the last step. He turned to face is 'oppressor' now looking up at him, before his eyes flicked to the woman next to him. She reminded Théo of his master, but his master is way prettier! but she seemed like a good person and far less grumpy than the old man standing before him. "I .. I did not hurt it", he finally spoke. "I just wanted to see how is worked". Before Nantaris stood a miniature version of a Jedi, a young boy of ten years dressed in traditional robes, in the style of his heros, Masters [member="Thurion Heavenshield"] and @Obi-Wan Kenobi. (well it is worth a try, he might turn up!)

Feeling his confidence returning in spades, "You a pilot?", he asked now wondering who the man was. He could sense him through the force, a strong one with a commanding presence, and not just through the force, but in his stature and build. He had to be a high up and wonder if father knew him.

Nantaris’ anger dissipated. He was mostly bark without bite, especially when it came to children.
“Well, you just need to ask next time,” he said gruffly. He scaled up the ladder and shut the controls off again. A quick glance confirmed that nothing had been damaged or touched. He dropped back down.

The boy was also dressed as a Jedi too, and Nantaris remembered his own escapades as a young Padawan. No, it’d be hypocritical to be too upset right now.
“I can pilot,” he said with a nod. “But as you can see, I’m also a Jedi Master,” he added. His rather tattered black robe was pulled back enough to show the lightsabre at his belt.

“What’s your name, son? I’m Nantaris, and this is Myr. I actually came to check these ships were ready, some of the pilots from the Academy are going to be using them.”

He sneezed into a handkerchief and wiped his nose irritably. “This damn planet,” he grumbled.

He dipped into a low bow quickly after Nantaris had introduced himself, a traditional form of respect to an elder Jedi Master. Nantaris reminded him of someone, but could not place him .. maybe a Jedi of old or someone out of his comics. Either way Nantaris stood imposing and strong and Théo liked him. "I am Théodred Heavenshield", he returned the introduction. A name he is proud of, and woe be tide anyone that says he is only a jedi because of it. Théo puffed out his chest as if in defiance to the idea. To the lady beside Nantaris, Théo bowed to her as well and wondered if she be Jedi as well.

Théo turned his attention to the ship once more, "What are they going to be used for? what class is it? and what does this do?", he asked as me moved under the ship. "I would like to learn how to fly it one day".

"What is wrong with you?", he said after the sneeze, force bless the children that speak their minds and ask loads of questions.

“Heavenshield, eh?” Nantaris asked. “Related to Coci and Thurion?” he asked. He knew Coci better than Thurion, but had met both. This was likely the son of them, but not necessarily.

“It’s the Adril Class, a Firemane fighter. It’s atmospheric and space capable. It’s got 4 laser cannons and two missile launchers.” He patted the wing of the ship fondly.

“I hope you get the chance to fly one day, young Theo. Just try not to crash!”

He sneezed again. “What’s wrong? I am allergic to this wretched planet. Some sort of pollen or seed in the air. I always sneeze when I’m here, which is why I rarely am!”

Théo sat down on his haunches under the ship, easy enough for him being a kid. "Yes I am their son", he said looking up as Nantaris told him about the starfighter. Théo listened with a great deal of interest, taking in all he said about it. He stood, bend and come out from under ship to inspect the cannons and launchers and like Nantaris his hand glided over the surface of the ship. Walking around it until he reached back, "Ouch!", his hand touched the engine, although not hot and quickly cooling the heat still bit the skin.

Ringing his hand, Théo looked at Nantaris, Qui-Gon Jinn! that who it was that Nantaris reminded him of. Awesome! It was not he of course but there was a resemblance. And that was all that mattered. "How .. how about ... today?", Théo asked referring to learning to fly with an upward inflection of the question, a question within a question.

"Why don't you use the force to stop the pollen getting up your nose?", Théo was sure it could be done. "You know, maybe some kind of force bubble or something". He added with a grin.

Nantaris sniffed, more from the hayfever than from the child’s words.
“Whilst I’m sure there is some damn Force God in the galaxy who can surround themselves with an airtight shield all day and night, I cannot. The Force’s power is infinite, my ability to use it is not. Besides, I could get the same effect by wearing a hazmat suit, but that’s hardly a good reason to do it!”

He looked at the child, then at the ship, then down again. “No, I’m not teaching you. You can come along in my shuttle if you want. I’m going into orbit and then back down, but you’re not flying. Come back when you’ve had some lessons and we’ll talk.”

The revelation that he was the son wasn’t surprising. Coci and Thurion were a well-balanced pair and their son seemed to have inherited some of their Force abilities.

"Yeah .. they are my Mama and Papa", he smiled. Both eyebrows raised and his mouth twisted into a half smile and mister grumpy with the runny nose proclaimed himself unable to fix his hey fever. It is true enough that Jedi are not gods, nor can they be since they are sentient beings and so have failings. Not ever Jedi is all powerful, they might think they are, but no.

Théo lost his smile, when told Nantaris would not teach him to fly. "You want me to learn to fly before you will teach me to fly?", he asked somewhat confused and it was confirmed, adults are nuts!

But Théo brightened up more at the invitation of a trip on the shuttle, it was better than nothing and it was better than to be told to return to the boring class room. "Ok, I will come with you for the trip, why are you going to orbit and back again?". He walked over to the man and looked up into his face, a mistake .. he could see right up his nose.

“Correct, you need to find someone else to teach you to fly. When you’ve learned that you can pilot a ship with me in it. You’ll forgive me if I’m a little cautious – been on enough crashing ships in my time to not want it again.”

“I know your mother slightly, your father barely. However, they are good people and I’m pleased to hear you are their son.”

“When I’ve met my pilots I’m going up to the orbital station with them, then coming back down to retrieve my ship. A bit overly complicated, but Voss is a strange place and we have to follow their laws”

His brow knitted as he wondered just how he was going to get lessons in flying "Where do I get lessons in flying? who will teach me?". Théo did not know any pilots that would or where one goes to have them. "Do the Silver Sanctum have a Academy for this?". He assumed it was seperate from Jedi Academy.

Théo looked at Nantaris, "I wouldn't crash a ship", he added with a tone suggesting his feelings hurt. But children are resilient and he brightened up immediately. "Shall we go?", eager to see the pilots and take a trip with Nantaris and get away from the classroom.

“Yes, this is one of the stations for the Coalition Flight Academy. Not a very large one, mind, the main bases are elsewhere. But yes, when you come of age you can learn to fly with them. They’ll be happy to teach you.”

“We all do things we don’t intend, lad. For the same reason we don’t give you a full lightsabre on your first day, we don’t let people pilot ships. You might not intend to cut off your own foot, but it might still happen.”

“Anyway, have you got classes? I don’t want to be helping you skip class. Your mother would not be pleased. I’ve heard she can get very…unhappy. No one wants that!”

"No.. well yes, I .. I am wagging class but .. they are boring!", he sheepishly looked into his face. "It is art appreciation, Voss architecture or something, I see it everyday! I don't want to study it".

"Mother will not be angry, nor will father", he tried to sound convincing. "I'd much prefer to go in the shuttle with you, at least I can see how the ship works .. will you be flying it?", he tried to change the subject.

"And... I understand about the lessons", he looked back longingly at the starfighter, "I will get lessons .. somehow".. Théo has every intention not to wait until he is of age, as long as he can look over the control panel .. it is time.

Nantaris weighed up his options. On the one hand he didn’t believe the boy’s declaration that his parents would be fine with his truancy. On the other…art was a boring and unpleasant memory to Nantaris, especially as the Jedi loved it a bit too much.

“Alright, but we’re going up and coming back down, got it? And I’ll take your word for it that your mother won’t hunt me down and shoot me out of an airlock!”

Incidentally, Theo’s writer is fortunate that this writer is also Australian and understands what ‘wagging’ is.

He was relieved that Nantaris understood his position on the skipping classes, he knew he would know .. and so he did. :)P)

"Got it!", he replied with a beaming smile. "No Mama would not do that! It would a quick death", he said as a matter of fact, before breaking his smile to laugh. All of a sudden Théo grabbed Nantaris's hand and lead him forward. Having no idea of the direction of the shuttle, Théo took a punt for the outer docking bay ..

"Come on! we will miss it". And what was really happening here? Théo had spotted one of the Jedi teachers from the Academy, clearly looking for wayward students. Théo had the feeling he was not the only one that had gone "missing".

He had pulled Nantaris enough to get them behind one of the starfighters, once out of sight Théo looked up into his face as innocent as you please. "Sorry Sir .. am I going in the right direction?". A quick peek over the nose of the fighter told Théo the teacher had gone.

Nantaris clearly saw the subterfuge and played along, using his taller frame to hide the boy from the instructor.
“I like you, kid,” he said when Theo looked up, all innocent like. “I’d be pretty damn hypocritical if I told you off, especially after I ‘borrowed’ a T-16 from the garage as a Padawan. Heh, I don’t know what they were so uptight about, it wasn’t that badly scratched!”

Myr shook her head at the antics. “You know Coci’s going to kill you if she finds out, boss?”

“Never fear, I’ll lay the blame young Theo here, then escape in the confusion!” Nantaris declared.

He had cheered up a lot, and seemed to have even forgotten his hayfever as he led the boy to the shuttle.

“Myr, stay and look after the cadets if they show up, will you? I’ll take young Heavenshield for a shuttle ride. What could go wrong?”

“I stopped counting at 82,” Myr said with a sigh.

“Yes, yes, nothing ventured, nothing gained! Come along, young Theo. Don’t touch anything…however shiny it is!”

Shiny! who cared about shiny! Théo's mind had stopped at, I ‘borrowed’ a T-16 from the garage as a Padawan.

For all his gruff nature, his serious intent, his runny nose and bloody awful hair cut, Théo liked Nantaris .. a lot. He reminded him of himself. There was cunning in those eyes, and no shortage of mischief. "I promise I will not .. touch a thing!". He would keep to his word, the best he could. For a young boy .. a young curious boy.

"You know the best way to get around my mother?", he looked up about to tell a secret. "Talk about my father, and see what happens. She will forget everything else, that's what I do".

Théo followed Nantaris to the shuttle, and quickly boarded. As Théo stood waiting for him he took the time to look around, there is not much to see in a shuttle, seats, compartments and few passengers and a water dispenser, the starfighter fair more appealing but... he is here and out of the classroom and who knows maybe he just might get Nantaris to teach him the basics one day.

Nantaris, who despite his protestations could be distracted by a well-placed lekku, nodded. “I’ll keep that in mind, lad.” It might come in handy if an enraged Coci came after him.

Climbing into the pilot’s seat he made sure Theo was properly strapped in to the co-pilot’s chair. Then he very deliberately took control for himself, and started the engine cycle.

Soon the ship was lifting off. Below them the verdant autumnal landscape stretched away. Nantaris took Theo on a couple of minute’s leisurely circling before pointing up and heading into space.

“You been in space much, son?”

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom