Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Papa Don't Preach

Aboard the Beholder, Rhi stood before a hologram projector, wringing her hands nervously. The moment she had been waiting for had finally come—she and Arcturus were going to contact her family to talk about getting the kids back. So why was she dreading it?

Rhi didn’t expect things to go over well. In fact, she had tried to convince Arc not to bother attempting to negotiate with the Threepwoods. They thought Rhi was dead, and they already knew Arc was a Sith. Hardly a glowing recommendation for either. Legal action was out of the question as well; the custody courts of Chaldea would not favor them. They would almost certainly have to take the children by force.

But Arc seemed to want to give her family the benefit of the doubt. Or maybe he just wanted a chance to meet them, to see them and let them see him. If nothing else, they would make sure the Threepwoods knew what they were dealing with before it all inevitably soured.

Taking a deep breath, Rhi waited until Arc gave her some indication he was ready before turning on the projector. It took several tries before a miniature blue hologram appeared on the stand, displaying the figure of Toloth Threepwood, Rhi's father, seated behind a desk.

Toloth was now in his early sixties, and beginning to show his age. He wore a black jacket, and was sporting a neatly trimmed beard and mustache. His irises were unusually pale for a human, betraying his half-Umbaran heritage. “Who is this, and why do you keep calling—” Toloth broke off in mid-sentence, shock visible in his expression even through the hologram’s distortion. “Ishani?”

Hello, Dad,” Rhi said, sounding unusually timid.

“We thought you were dead,” Toloth muttered. “What’s going on here? Who is that with you?”

I’m not dead.” Stating the obvious, but she could barely speak as it was. She fiddled with the pendant around her neck, briefly exchanging a glance with Arc before continuing, “This is Arcturus, my betrothed…

Toloth certainly recognized the name. He shot a withering glare at Arc. “You’re marrying him?” he asked disdainfully. And just like that, the rest of it clicked into place. Not that it was all that hard to guess why they were calling. "You want Marcus and Eloise."

Well, this was it. The moment he'd been dreading ever since Rhi had first mentioned her parents and her homeworld. But they were engaged now, had children together, he couldn't keep putting it off. Nor could he, in good conscience, simply take the kids without at least trying to do it the right way.
Arcturus stood just behind where Rhiannon sat, his left hand set upon her right shoulder. When the holocall began he said nothing, allowing father and daughter a chance to make their greetings and catch up. Alas he was spotted pretty early on, and any hopes of this being an eased-in conversation were shattered.
"Arcturus Dinn, Senator," he said, dipping his head into a respectful bow, "I apologize that we have not met sooner." Arcturus was dressed sharply enough, a well tailored suit and his beloved white button down. He'd trimmed his beard, and looked the part of stable, dependable individual. Though he knew that likely wasn't going to matter given that Rhi's father had preconceived notions of him.
Probably heard 'Sith' and made up his mind then and there.
"I understand any reservations you have, you don't know me from the next man in the street, and my absence has likely done me no favours... I would have come sooner, but they deserve stability, a real home; I have secured such for them. Senator Threepwood... I'd like to bring them home."

“An apology doesn’t quite cover the cost of what you’ve done,” Toloth replied coldly. Turning to Rhi, he frowned. “If you were alive all this time, why didn’t you come home, or at least contact us sooner? Why did you allow all of us to believe you were dead for so long?”

I was… delayed.” Rhi reached up and laid her hand over Arc’s. “It was for the best that I leave the children with you. I didn’t want you asking questions, either. But now things have stabilized.

Arcturus spoke, giving his pitch. Rhi couldn’t have said it better. Toloth regarded them both in stern silence. “There’s something you’re not telling me,” he said. “I can see it in your faces, in your eyes… I know it in my heart.” He shook his head firmly. “No. I can’t in good conscience let you have them.”

What makes you think you can stop us?” Rhi said, her composure rapidly unspooling. “Marcus and Eloise have a right to choose where they want to—

The hologram abruptly faded from view, the connection cut off. Rhi nearly kicked the stand out of frustration. Instead she sat very still in the silence that followed.

Set a course for Chaldea,” she said softly. “But leave the armies behind. We don’t need them.” This was a delicate situation. If anything happened, she wanted the blame to rest on her, not mercenaries gifted to them by her in-laws. Besides, she’d rather do things herself anyway.

"What I've done?"
Even as the Senator turned his attention back to his daughter, Arcturus couldn't help but speak out. "And tell me, what is it I've done to you exactly? Saved your daughter, and your grandchildren, and tried to be civil about this whole thing. I was doing what was best for the kids, Senator. We both were."
He needed to remain calm, collected, but what happened next removed any chance for that. Father made a blanket refusal, daughter yelled in response, and the call was cut short.
Arcturus let out a long breath, trying to calm himself. And he really, truly was trying. Then he took a step away from the holoprojector, and the thing began to twist and break in on itself with a crackle of electricity and the thrum of the Force.
"You're right. We don't need an army."
Bringing an army to fetch the kids would only scare them, remind them of the pirates.
"I hope for your sake we don't run into your Father." Rhi's sake, or the Senators sake? Arcturus wasn't sure, but there was a cold darkness seeping through him the likes of which he didn't typically permit to exist within himself.
"They are our children. We will have them, Rhiannon. I promise you that."

As Arc’s anger overcame him, Rhi felt her own vision go red with rage, his emotions amplifying hers through their bond. The holoprojector crumpled in front of her like a tin can, sparking and humming. Its destruction was cathartic. The pressure eased; she could think straight again.

But we can’t just walk up to the front door, either,” she said. “I think our best bet would be stealth. Sneak into the house, grab the kids, get out. Dad is dead to the Force, and Mom could never feel it to begin with, so they won’t be able to sense our presence. As long as we aren’t seen or heard, it should work.

Arc’s other comment alarmed her… and yet, she found her reaction curiously dulled. She was furious with Dad and determined to rebel against his rule, but if it came down to it, could she hurt him? Could she kill her own father, or stand by and allow Arc to do it? It seemed possible now.

As the ship shot forth into hyperspace, Rhi looked at Arc. Though the journey from Jutrand to Chaldea loomed ahead, her thoughts were preoccupied by other troubles. An important discussion needed to be had, one that would likely make him even more upset. No, she would wait until this was all over before she said anything about it.

I know we will,” she said instead, her voice firm and determined. “Whatever it takes.

Rhiannon’s childhood home was a large farmhouse on the outskirts of the planetary capital. Since it was now the home of the Senator of Chaldea, extra security had been added. There were surveillance droids posted outside, along with cameras and sensors.

But it can all be disabled,” Rhi whispered to Arc. They had gone in for a stealth landing, their ship sitting invisible in a nearby field. It was night, and Chaldea’s purple moon was full, casting the darkness in shades of violet. "Once we get past the security, there's either breaking through the back door or a window. Window would probably be less noticeable..." Her wings twitched, her brow furrowing with sudden emotion. "I can feel them in there, Arc."

"How are you with stealth?" he asked, turning his gaze toward Rhiannon once the projector had been broken and some of the anger waned. Certainly his expression relaxed some to look upon her. "If you'd like, you can wear my ring." The Band of Shadows would do wonders toward keeping her from view, the stygium inlaid within it easy to draw upon.
As for Arcturus, well he had the teachings of Arthos Vynea Arthos Vynea to draw upon.
He could see the brief jolt of surprise when he made his thin threat toward the Senator, and that had him frowning. "I would never harm a member of your family" he finally confessed, with a sigh. As much as he might have wanted them out of the way, it wasn't right. But stun them? Well... If it came down to it, why not?
Soon they were on their way, a decent enough journey lay ahead and thankfully they'd chosen the right vessel for the job. If stealth was key, then what was better than his Spherecraft?
When they came upon her home, Rhiannon began to explain the various levels of defenses and security in place. His ship drifted past the sensors effortlessly, and he made a conscious decision to thank Kal Kal when he next saw him for providing him with the better version of the ship.
"We go slow, keep to the shadows, and if we need to talk... It should be telepathically." With the Force on their side such things were definitely a little easier. "Where are they located? Are their rooms close by to one another, or do we need to split up?"

I’m… actually really bad at it,” she admitted. “You remember Chandaar, when I got shot in the leg? That was the result of me attempting to be sneaky.

But that had been a warzone. This was the house where she grew up. She knew it like the back of her hand.

She looked at his ring with suspicion. “Is that the same one that sucked you into the Nether?” she asked. As useful as it might be, she had enough curses already and wasn’t looking to add any more to the list.

Arc assured her he wouldn’t hurt anyone in her family. “But that doesn’t mean I won’t,” she said, and was startled by her own admission. But then she sighed. “I’m sick of this chit. My whole life, my family’s been trying to control me. I don’t think I’ve ever fully escaped my father’s grip. Not even now. If killing him would do it, I don’t know if I could resist the temptation.” She shook her head. “But that would create more problems. He’s an Alliance Senator. His death would be high-profile. I’d have to kill my mom to leave no witnesses, and I can’t do that. Not to mention the kids don’t need to see their mother kill their grandfather.

No, stunning them was the only option that made sense. “This is bound to be emotionally charged for the both of us. If I go too far, Arc, don’t hesitate to check me for it. Knock me out if you have to.

With that in mind, the two of them made their move upon the house. Rhi closed her eyes, feeling to the ebb and flow of the Force.

<Their rooms are right next to each other, but I feel them in different parts of the house,> she switched to telepathy as they got closer. <Marcus is upstairs, Eloise is downstairs. If she’s downstairs, she should come back up soon. It’s past her bedtime…> She trailed off, then glanced sharply at Arc. <My brother is here!> That certainly added an extra complication.

"No," he said of the ring, "This is one I made myself." He slipped it off his finger, and then held it out for her to inspect. "We can put it on a chain, if you'd like. I imagine it'd fall right off your finger... But the effects should work. It has a Stygium core."
He listened as she vented about her upbringing, and the fact that she wasn't sure if she'd stop herself. If she wanted to stop herself. Her request that he check her should the need arise was met with a soft nod. "I won't let you do something you'll come to regret, I promise" he told her, stepping closer to settle his lips upon her forehead.
The journey had helped to soothe back his rage, but he was still determined, and admittedly a little angry, insofar as the Senator and their children were concerned. What right did he have to withhold them..?
Stepping out from the ship, he delved into Force and pulled upon the teachings of the Zabrak insofar as masking his presence was concerned. Pulled to the shadows, it was possible for him to remain visually undetected, and even through the Force he was difficult to spot. Of course the various trinkets he carried didn't help, but since those inside were dead to the Force it barely mattered.
Rhi claimed they were close by, room wise, but separated in that moment. Close to bed time though no doubt they'd soon both upstairs and away from the adults. When she made mention of her brother, however, Arc faltered. You have a brother..? That topic hadn't ever arisen before. Is he going to complicate matters..?
After all, if Rhi was Force Sensitive then maybe her brother was too.

<Yes, well, he’s adopted,> Rhi replied. <But Ganner is one of the most Force Sensitive people I’ve ever met. If he were a Sith, he’d be more powerful than Maliphant!>

She wasn’t exaggerating. Discovered at the age of three among the carnage and ruins of one of the worst battles of the Chaldean Civil War, had been adopted by the Threepwood family precisely because most others were terrified of his innate power. Only Toloth had been brave enough to take him in, teaching the boy the ways of the Potentium in hopes of controlling him.

Unlike Rhi, Ganner had actually bought into their parents’ beliefs… up to a point. He had refused to cut himself off from the Force, instead attending the Academy to become a Chaldean Mystic… until he abruptly dropped out in order to join a pirate crew and plunder Mawite ships in the Unknown Regions. At least, that was the last Rhi had heard of him.

Now he was here. Rhi clutched at the Band of Shadows hanging on a chain around her neck. <He can’t sense me, but he can probably sense you…>

Seated at the kitchen table, Ganner Threepwood was playing pazaak alone, the top buttons of his white shirt loosened. Placing a red card down, his good eye darted toward the archway leading to the foyer, where seconds later Eloise appeared.

At seven years old, she was tall and strong for her age, a lean and athletic tomboy. Her fair skin was covered in freckles, and her fiery red hair hung down to her waist, barely tamed by her grandmother with brushes and detangler every morning.

What are you doing up?” Ganner whispered, the ghost of a smile crossing his lips.

“I want some water,” she replied sleepily, scratching her belly through her pajama top.

Standing up, Ganner took a glass from the cabinet and began pouring her water from the filter. He paused, however, and glanced sharply over his shoulder, a sudden unfamiliar—and Dark—presence needling his awareness.

Eloise was looking in the same direction, her green eyes wide. She began to totter over to the back door—only for Ganner to grab her, knocking the nearly full glass to the floor. Water spilled across the wood panels as he held her to his chest, one-eyed gaze fixed upon the door.

“It’s Daddy!” Eloise exclaimed. “It’s my daddy!”

Ganner grimaced. The presence he felt reeked of the Dark Side. He was reminded of the putrid Mawites he had fought in the Unknown Regions. “Listen to me, Ellie,” he whispered in the little girl’s ear. “I’m not going to hurt your daddy. But I am going to make sure he can’t hurt anyone else…

He reached toward the presence out there in the dark, deafening him to the Force.

Almost as soon as Rhi made mention of the fact that Ganner could likely sense him, Arcturus felt an odd sensation come over him. His connection to the Force was fast zapped, and it left him feeling hollow and lifeless. His skin paled slightly, then turned vaguely green, before he shook his head and tried to rid himself of it. No luck.
What the---
Though he tried to call out to Rhi through the Force he found himself incapable of doing so. His eyes widened fretfully, and he turned to touch Rhi's arm to get her attention. "Cut off" he whispered, voice hoarse as he hoped she'd understand with the limited words he dared utter. Then he gestured to Rhi and then up toward the room where Marcus remained.
Clearly he'd been discovered, but she hadn't. She could still do as they'd planned, if anything that just left Arcturus as the distraction.
He approached the back door, having heard muffled voices coming from that direction, and peered through the window. There was Eloise, clutched against the chest of some stranger who had their hand over her mouth.
Oh, oh no. He wouldn't stand for that.
Without even trying to hide his presence any more, Arcturus opened the door and stared straight at Ganner. "Put her down" he demanded, though his voice didn't raise to a high volume just became firm, "Are you okay, Louise?"
It wasn't until that moment that he realized just how much time had passed during his last venture into the Nether. His expression crumpled, sheer and genuine grief playing across his face. How long had he been gone?
"You got so big" he whimpered, unable to stop as tears flooded up, "I didn't think I was gone for so long..."

"Cut off."

The whispered words made Rhi’s eyes widen. Ganner had already acted. She reached out to Arc, afraid of what she might feel—but he was still attached to the Force. It was only trickery, not a permanent severance.

He pointed toward the window. She understood what he meant, but wasn’t enthusiastic about the idea of Arc facing off against her brother without access to the Force. Still, she trusted him. She had faith in him. Placing a hand on his shoulder, she kissed him as if he could take courage from her mouth.

"For luck," she whispered.

Then she spread her wings and took flight, wrenching the bedroom window open with a gesture of her hand and diving inside.

Ganner had begun to slowly inch out of the kitchen and into the foyer when he heard the back door creak open.

"Put her down."

Eloise tugged on Ganner’s gloved hand with her tiny fingers, prying it away just enough. “Daddy!” she wailed.

Cursing under his breath, Ganner wasted no more time. He ran through the dining room, knowing it would circle around to the front door, the basement—and the stairs. He took the stairs two at a time, carrying a screaming Eloise up with him.

He kissed her deeply before they parted ways, and then it was time to face the music.
Though Eloise cried out for him, the man carrying her held firm and hurried off; Arcturus followed, trying not to lose him in the mess of rooms which made up the Threepwood home.
"Please, I just want to see her" he begged, "It's okay, Louise, everything's okay..."
No doubt they'd have woken a few others up, or alerted the grandparents, but frankly Arcturus didn't care. He was acting on instinct now, he needed to secure his child.
"You can't keep me from them" he said, as he hurried up the stairs after him, "They're my children... Please"

Creeping into the bedroom, Rhi found Marcus asleep. She knelt by the bed, gently stroking his red hair. Force, he looked so much like his father…

Marcus stirred, then opened his eyes. “Mom?” he whispered, his voice trembling in the dark. “Am I dreaming?”

No.” She wrapped her arms around him. “Your daddy and I have come to take you and Eloise away. We’re going home, once and for all—

The ruckus downstairs interrupted her. Rhi’s gaze darted toward the door, hearing footsteps thundering up the stairwell. Arc was shouting; Eloise was screaming. As Rhi lifted Marcus from his bed, clutching him to her chest, she heard her father’s voice joining the noise…

Toloth Threepwood had come out of his room, half-clothed and wielding a shotgun. His wife Charisse, a silver-haired version of their daughter, stood behind him.

Seeing the barrel of the gun, Ganner immediately moved out of the way, positioning himself so that his father was between him and Arc. Eloise was sobbing in his grasp.

“What is going on?!” Toloth demanded. “Did you break into the house?!”

“Where is Rhiannon?” Charisse asked.

Behind the bedroom door, Rhi winced. She could’ve taken Marcus and left through the window, but she couldn’t bear to leave Arc and Eloise to fend for themselves. Cautiously, she slid the door open and stepped out into the hallway. “Here, Mom.

Completely abandoning any concern for safety, Charisse ran to embrace her daughter. Toloth looked a bit annoyed, but kept his shotgun trained on Arc.

"The door was open."
Arcturus paused in place as the shotgun was trained on him, surprised by the fact that they opted for slugs in place of blasters. No doubt it hurt a whole lot more to be struck by a piercing bullet...
He purposely stepped away from Eloise and Ganner, keeping the weapon from being pointed even slightly toward them, and held his hands up.
"Please, I just... I just want my kids back, Senator."
The appearance of Rhi, and indeed her mother's response to seeing her, surprised him. His gaze drifted their way, and when he saw Marcus those tears sprung up anew.
"Hey buddy" he whispered, voice cracking, "Everything's okay... We're just... We're just going to talk, alright?" Then he returned his attention to Toloth. "Please, not in front of the children..."

Rhi could see the tears gleaming in Arc’s eyes. His pain and heartache mirrored her own.

Charisse was crying too, stunned to see that her daughter was alive again. “What happened to you, Rhiannon?” she asked. “You have wings now…”

It’s a long story,” Rhi replied.

"Please, I just... I just want my kids back, Senator."

“Why the hell should we give them to you?” Toloth retorted. “You weren’t there for them. You didn’t want them. Rhi may have forgiven you and forgotten all the grief you put her through, but we didn’t. We had to watch her and the children suffer for years because you were too scared to face reality! You abandoned them twice, you son of a—”

We’re trying to fix our mistakes,” Rhi interrupted. “We’re finally ready, and now you won’t even let us try!

“I don’t believe him. Why should I? He’s screwed up every other time!” Arc’s pleading drew Toloth’s attention. “Talk, then!” he snapped.

"You're right" he said, not even bothering to try and defend himself, "You're right, I messed up. I wasn't there for them like I should have been, but I was worried... I don't want them raised as I was." His gaze was back on the Senator at this point, and he actively avoided looking at anyone else. "I want them to have the world, to be able to make their own choices, and... I couldn't offer that to them before. I was stuck..."
He shook his head.
"And I know that's no excuse for my failures. But I'm here now, I've faced my past and poured the foundation for the present... My life means nothing without them. I'll set aside everything I have, everything I am, to get them back."
Then he swallowed, and took one small step toward him.
"If you won't let them go with me, then let them be with their mother again. Let them go with Rhiannon, and... And you can do with me as you please. I surrender myself to you, Senator."
Arcturus went so far as to fall upon his knees, hands remaining risen.

Rhi’s eyes widened in shock as Arc offered himself up as a sacrifice. She could put a stop to all of this, right now. She still had the Force and her weapons... although the moment she acted, Ganner would be there to stop her, and she doubted she could overpower him. She'd likely make even more of a mess of things.

Arc dropped to his knees, and something inside her seemed to break. She started weeping like a child, clinging to Marcus. All she had wanted was a chance to try again. She would always want to try again with Arc. But if this was the end... if he died here...

Toloth was clearly taken aback by Arc’s submission. He hadn’t expected things to go this way. Finally, he sighed. “I don’t want to kill you, if that’s what you think,” he said to Arc. “I don’t even want to hurt you. I just want this cycle to end. For Marcus and Eloise, and for your sakes’ too.”

“He reeks of the Dark Side, Dad,” Ganner pointed out. “He’s a Sith.”

They don’t know what I am, Rhi realized. They can’t sense the Dark in me. Only in Arc. With this revelation, she found her voice again. “You think that he cares more about the Sith than he does our children?

“What will you do if we let you have them?” Toloth asked. “Will you just go back to the Dark? You can’t bring them there with you and call it freedom.”

What hypocrisy coming from them. But Rhi shook her head, playing along. "It's no place to raise a child. I know this—we both know this. We won't bring them into evil." Though she was lying about turning away from the Dark Side, she found that she did agree with the words she was saying. Neither she nor Arc wanted to expose the twins to it, if they could help it.

“Then get married,” Charisse said suddenly.

We will,” Rhi said, her brow furrowing. “We’re already engaged.

“Oh, please. You've been waiting for seven years,” Charisse continued. “Let's go to the chapel tonight. No more excuses, no more waiting. You want the kids, you’ll have them as husband and wife.”

Rhi gaped at her, then turned to her father. Toloth simply shrugged. “It is the Chaldean way,” he said.

Last edited:
He could hear Rhiannon's weeping behind him, and his head hung further in response. In that moment he felt his heart breaking into a thousand different pieces, and he couldn't keep a tear or two of his own from flowing.
Even as the Senator claimed he would not harm Arcturus, that he wanted this to end as much as the rest of them, talks of the Sith and Darkside arose and for a moment there he just let the family talk amongst themselves. Rhi was adamant that they wouldn't return, though he knew she didn't mean it. Their plan had been to bring the children back with them, to Eliad.
And yet even so, hearing her say it, hearing her claim that they'd forsake it all for the twins, had his heart strengthening.
"I won't return that way" he finally said, "When we leave here, we'll go somewhere safe, somewhere away from all of this... chaos. I didn't choose the life of a Sith, Sir, I was a slave... It took meeting your daughter to realize I could be more than that. So yes... I will happily marry her, here and now, whether or not you relinquish the children to us, because I've wanted to marry her for as long as I can recall."

Rhi opened her mouth to speak, but found that she had nothing to say. What was she going to do, refuse to get married? The fact that it was technically being forced upon them, a literal shotgun wedding, hardly mattered.

Okay,” she said. “Let’s get married.

“Oh goodness,” Charisse exclaimed happily, disappearing into her room. “Let me get dressed first…”

Toloth lowered the shotgun, then passed it to Ganner while he went to put on something decent. Rhi took the opportunity to rush to Arc’s side, hugging him. Marcus threw his arms around his father, and soon Eloise was released from Ganner’s grasp and ran over to join them.

“Rhiannon, I kept all your things the way you left them, if you’d like to change into something nicer,” Charisse said upon her return. She had donned a blue formal dress

Rhi wiped her eyes and stood up. “Thanks, Mom,” she said. It was difficult to leave her family’s side, but they still had a task to complete. A ritual to perform. She went into her old bedroom and came back out a few minutes later wearing white.

“And you can borrow one of my suits, if you don’t want to look like a bum at your own wedding,” Toloth said to Arc as he finished buttoning his shirt. “The children have some clothes, too. We took them to a wedding recently…”

It was all an unexpected whirlwind, but then what else could he expect when it came to Rhiannon? It was how their relationship had been from the very beginning, it only made sense that it would remain that way on their wedding day.
He didn't think about much else at all as Marcus and Eloise ran into his arms, and Rhi along with them. He clung to each of them, holding them close and as securely as he could muster. "I missed you so much" he whispered, as he peppered kisses into their red curls, "Oh so much..."
His soon to be in-laws were quick to find something to wear, and soon Rhi was heading off to what he presumed to be her room. That left him, Ganner, and the twins. He lifted his head, and peered at the man. "Mind undoing it?" he asked softly, "I'd like to be able to change..."
A statement which likely didn't make sense then and there. Arcturus had a suit, several in fact, but in order to summon them he needed the Force.
When Rhi returned his eyes widened, and he couldn't keep his eyes from her. "I always did love that dress" he said breathlessly, as he made his way back to his feet while keeping the kids close. He managed to tear his gaze away long enough to peer at them both. "Why don't you go change, my little Mogwai's?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom