Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Over the River and Through the Woods

jama-jurabaev-huc-180306-lava-planet-v003-jaju.jpg

KAL - Talon Class Patrol Craft

Adjusting the vambraces on my armor, I had the hatch open from the inside of my arm. Adjusting the inner strappings that would hold the damn thing to my arm. Attempting to mess with this while wearing gloves was not helpful at all. Having attempted to work on them just a bit before my meeting with Milla. This was all set up through Rynn due to talking to each other in passing. I made mention of wanting to go hunting but didn't really have much to do at the moment with so many Mandalorians either not needing tune-ups on their armor, or they could do it themselves. I'd go out to do some bounty hunts or just hunt a nice hide I could hang up on a ship or keep a trophy or something. It was brought up that Rynn had a foundling who he wanted to teach but couldn't quite find the time to take them somewhere else to go hunting. That, and because of his new promotion, he was kind of busy with "paperwork."

It wasn't paperwork but it was the political side of the Mandalorians. Which I was all too happy to stay away from. Part of the Mandalorians followed the tradition of Verd'goten. A rite of passage for many children to become adults. Even I had done it under the wings of my father. I remember the ceremonious night in which he removed his helmet. Proclaiming he was no longer be a Crusader, and pass his legacy down to me. In fact, the armor I now wore was his.

"AHK! Aruetii osi'kyr!"

Cursing in my native tongue, I had closed the latch on my bracer on my finger and pinched it through the leather glove. While it did close and was done, I was snapped back to reality while shaking my hand in pain. Shaking my head to myself. Like I was some di'kut who would pinch his fingers on armor. A MANDALORIAN! If I was in public it would look even worse right now. I just opted to walk over to my weapons safe and open it up. Plugging in the pin to open it. Showing a host of weapons. Pulling my hammer from the door, and spinning a Westar-35c like some kind of gunslinger before holstering it on my left thigh. The hammer I hooked into its loop on my right side where it would hang by its "beard."

Putting on my helmet to cover my face and head, I reached over to the door controls and opened them. Letting the ramp lower as I fixed the clasps around my neck. Preventing the helmet to be removed from just running or being in combat. Made sure it was on tight and the HUD system came on nice and bright before walking down the ram just a hot couple steps to lean on the hydraulic arm.

"Five till. So she will be here any time soon."

Milla Kryst Milla Kryst

Last edited:

Milla Kryst

Might Just Change Your Life
Tarre Priest Tarre Priest

Over head where Tarre was working, a small ship looking like a very old and classic JumpMaster 5000 but well upgraded with a nice coat of paint, slowly and casually came down from the upper atmosphere, seemingly looking for a space to land near Tarre Priest. If he was told about Milla, and told about the ship she would be arriving in, then he'd know it was her. Either way, the ship didn't fly in any hostile manner. If anything, it was looking for a very safe place to land.... and it seemed like it was flown by someone who had just got their piloting license (Which Milla actually didn't have yet either).

After landing, she gathered what gear she had, and headed towards the location of where she suspected was Tarre Priests ship when she last saw it. Maybe less than a ten minute walk, but she tried to jog, knowing she was probably going to be late. Once she caught up, she waved to Tarre, hoping it was him. "Hi! I'm sorry I'm a little late... I don't really know how to navigate hyperlanes too well," she wasn't wearing any Mandalorian armor, or much armor, in fact. Just a jacket and some leather pants, "I'm... really sorry if this offends you... showing my face and all." There'd be no way to know if Rynn told Tarre about her situation, but she was basically a poor spacer who took what belongings from the dar'manda she killed, and clothing was light... "I think Rynn said I could... get some armor when the time was right," she looked confused in thought as she breathed, after just jogging all the way here, "but, at least I have a weapon!" She held up a very old and beaten DC-15A Blaster Rifle, the very same from one of the wars way back. A relic of the dar'manda she had killed.

She also had two holsters on her hip that carried DC-17 Hand Blasters, and a small pouch was also located on her belt. Thankfully, she also had her Grappling Spike Launcher, but she had no where else to holster her rifle.

It looked like the person I was meeting was here. A ship flew overhead for a moment and I could see it land a little ways of a distance. Probably wanted to walk the distance, but I wouldn't have cared if they landed right next to me. Either way, I waited as they walked up and introduced themselves. The apology for being late was not true, she wasn't late and we had all the time in the world. However, what made me chuckle was the account of not wearing a helmet. Unsure if it offended me.

"You are in training. Areutii don't wear buy'ce. Once you complete all ba'jur, then you can cover yourself."

Shrugging my shoulders, I continued without missing another beat.

"Plus, some don't follow that rule. More of a tradition than law."

Upon lifting the weapon and showing it off, I could tell that the weapon she used was from the Clone Wars nearly a thousand years ago now. An old rifle design that was damn good shot and was still used by some fringe states. Nodding my head, I did notice the other weapons she had with her. More Clone Wars weapons. Reliable, but antiquated.

"Go ahead and give me your rifle. You won't want it for what we are doing today."

Removing myself from the hydraulic arm, steps up the ramp and into the ship as I invited her in. Moving towards a table was a an old Outland rifle. Known very well for being a rifle that could reach a good kilometer and a half in range on a bad day, with a sturdy weapon that was easily one of the more suitable rifles for beginner hunters. Long range, easy to clean and maintain, and the bolt action operation prevented a novice from just firing as fast as they could. Teaching them the value of one shot one kill.

Attached to it was a scope that was offset to allow the use of the Iron sights down the center if one wished. An attachment for a bipod was there, but it was separated at the moment.

"This is your tool. Called an Outland Rifle. Chemical slugthrower, bolt action, and will be better suited for our task today."

Picking the rifle up I indicated for a trade of weapons. This would be hers from now on. She could use it as I already had another one I preferred over this.

"Tracking a prey, following it, and hunting it down."

Milla Kryst Milla Kryst

Milla Kryst

A little intimidated with being in front of another Mandalorian that was not only directly speaking to her, but not prepared to shoot her dead, was definitely nerve racking, but it made her happy. Showing her tattoo brand felt like she was always naked, but with these people it never seemed to get their attention. As he spoke, it seemed he swapped between a little Basic and Mand'oa, which actually kind of confused her, but she waited for him to finish speaking. When he gestured for her rifle, she sorrowfully handed it over, as she felt she had learned how to use it properly, but understood one had to start somewhere before they reached the end goal, so she traded for the Slugthrower. It was definitely familiar in her eyes, but its appearance garnered a memory that it was.... somewhat garbage. Her late owner, when he killed people, if they had a slugthrower, he wouldn't even bother to pick it up. "Aren't these used by lowly pirates and gangs? I won't complain to use it - you know best - but this isn't worth cantina gruel usually as there's so many and most being low quality weapons," she took it slowly and inspected it, never actually even holding one of these weapons before. "Oh, right... please forgive me," she held the weapon to her side as in her mind her slave behavior showed, being very submissive, "my name is Milla, and.... unfortunately I only understand a limited amount of Mand'oa. What does buy'ce and aruetii mean?"

Other than that, she showed she was ready to follow Tarre if he preferred to walk and talk, but she had no issue staying there.

Pirate gangs and lowly usage as though they were seedy and scum of the galaxy. A rather hard chuckle came from within the helmet I wore. Growing louder at her thought of how Slugthrowers were weapons that were inferior to blaster weapons. Even as she began to inspect it, I set to correct her on what it was.

"Slugthrowers are not just limited to pirates. Mandalorians use them due to an advantage over lightsaber jockeys. Any attempt to block a slug ends up with molten metal in their face. Sure, this rifle was liked by many pirates or the like, but its the reasoning behind it. Its reliable and easy to maintain. Hell, I have one for my personal use that I have modified."

The asking for forgiveness was just met with a nod of the head, however, the introduction, and the follow up of a question of the native tongue of Mando'a, I started to get a better understanding of how much I would have to teach this Milla.

"Aruetii means outsider. Some use it in place of the word Traitor in some contexts. You are not fully integrated into the Watch, so you are an outsider."

Tapping the blue and silver helmet I wore, that was all it took with repeating the word to her again.

"Buy'ce. Its your brain bucket. The literal translation is a pint, or bucket, but in this use, its a helmet."

Reaching over to the wall as I talked about the terms and language that I had learned since I was a child, the ramp was loading up and closing behind her. Taking her old Clone Wars rifle and stowing it away in the gun safe, I closed it. No longer needing any other rifles. My own pistol would be enough for self defense, and she had one already. While she didn't understand some weapons, I had a feeling she knew how to use a pistol. How good of a shot she was? No clue. That we will find out soon enough. With one hand resting on the ladder up to the cockpit, and a boot also ready to climb up,

"Now, back to the rifle, we are using slugs to hunt. That way it doesn't destroy the hide or pelt we can get from it. Depending on what you hunt, the hide could be worth more than the meat. Some creatures are so rare, that if you can keep the body in tact as much as you can, will sell more for those sickos that stuff the damn things and display them."

Climbing up the ladder I continued to talk but made my voice louder just to make sure she could hear me over the distance.

"So Milla, My name is Tarre Priest. Veteran Crusader, Beskarsmith, and Avid hunter. Tell me about yourself and what you know. Gotta get an idea where I can start with your verd'goten."

Milla Kryst Milla Kryst

Milla Kryst

Milla showed her appreciation by clearly listening, not distracted by anything or seemingly dozing off. She was very intent on learning everything she could. The sooner she got it down, the sooner she could become a real Mandalorian, and start paying back the people who gave her a second chance. She understood what some usefulness a slugthrower could do, but she never realized how powerful it could be against a jedi..... that made her think about her future weapons. She wouldn't always have these relic weapons, no matter how good they were. She wanted to make sure her Mandalorian expression was as unique as the others she had met. When Tarre mentioned the language he used, and what they meant, she was thankful he wasn't upset with her. Aruetii... it made sense, and she accepted that. It probably made more sense than Tarre even initially realized. But Buy'ce, oh boy, that made her smile. The slightest huff, barely a hint of a giggle as air went out her nose to that term. She understood it well and appreciated the way he taught it to her. She loved the term, brain bucket. Perfect!

She watched as Tarre took her rifle and stowed it away, taking note of how he protected his belongings as she thought about methods for herself. Mentioning the leather of an animal sounded like a great way to make money. At least, some spending money, or a profession she could do. It felt.... better in her head. It felt better to say 'hunter' instead of 'bounty hunter', as she never really became accustomed to the term, anyway. As she watched him climb, she was unsure if he wanted her to follow, but she assumed he would gesture for her if nothing else. Unfortunately, her positive attitude changed when he asked to know more about her, which was the most embarrassing thing. She took a few more steps forward towards the ladder as she looked away dismissively, "I was.... born a slave to the Zygerrian Empire, handed between Cartels and even the old Cabal. There's not much I can tell you about me other than over a hundred years of servitude and skills befitting a slave and minimal ship piloting capabilities. My last owner, a Mandalorian - I think other Mandalorians called him a dar'manda - I killed him while he was drunk. He mostly killed his bounties and sold Mandalorian families to slavery, that's where he got a lot of money, with his armor and access. It's how I learned broken Mando'a... when he would speak to other Mandalorians, they were always angry, if not trying to kill each other. Long story short, after I killed him, I used his armor so the slavers wouldn't find me. They never did.... but Death Watch did. And it wasn't really a pretty interaction," she proceeded to wink at him if he looked down at her, getting his attention to her eyes. Well, eye, singular. Her other eye was covered with an eyepatch. "Before he did, I did very little in the way of my owners last jobs, but I did what I could to make money. Mostly avoiding stuff that was super dangerous."

I stopped climbing. My visor turned around to at first look over my shoulder down the shaft at the woman below. Eventually doing an awkward turn to almost completely face her as she pretty much gave me her life story. To be honest, I was not expecting the entire thing. Sure, maybe talking about joining up, but not the entire lead up. However, knowing all of that information did help.

Grew up as a slave, dealt with a Dar'manda then killed the guy in pretty much an act of self defense, and tried to stay out of the light but was seen by some Death Watch and was brought in. Considering the Dar'manda subjugated this woman, I assumed some of the reasoning behind accepting her in was to make up for the asshat's actions towards her. She then used his name in order to get jobs to make ends meet. She was a survivor and knew street smarts, but not much about the culture of the mandalorians other than passing integrations with the Dar'manda.

"Dar'manda, a... severe term of an outsider. A member of the Mando'ade who... They lost their right to call themselves a Mandalorian. Someone who lost their heritage or is considered no longer part of the "Family." Disowned. Being called one is like a Religion exiling a member because they went against the tenants of said religion."

Indicating with a hand to come up into the cockpit with me, I turned back around and made the rest of the way up. Talking as she would no doubt be joining me. In the mean time, I sat down in the center pilot's chair and started getting the ship ready to head off.

"Selling out our own, no matter what creed of Mandalorian culture you come from, is why he was claimed as... one of them."

I tried my best to avoid using the word of the exiled Mandalorians. Using that term in any use other than explaining what it is, is making those people become accepted, or acknowledged as a person. When in our culture, being one meant you were not. All that you were, all that you had done for the Mandalorians, was wiped away and thrown out along with you. Hell, in the Sith Culture there was a Sith that lost an honor duel and had the entirety of his existence wiped from records. Dar'manda, was the same thing. You weren't just sent away...

You were erased.

"In the future, don't tell people about your... previous connection to him. We treat those who are called as such as though they are completely erased from our culture. Aiding, being friends, accepting, or otherwise with them is as though you are saying they are people who exist."

Turning around to face her, making it very clear that this was a serious situation in many circles,

"I will not speak about your past to anyone. As its yours to tell. Thank you for sharing it, just... bare in mind, that those who are Dar'manda, are called so for a reason. Its not just calling someone an aruetii. Its saying this person should no longer exist. Some of the Watch may look down or outright proclaim you should be one by association."

I turned back around, finishing all the prep work, I flipped the switches to activate the engines. The wining coming on without a problem, and the last switch turned on to reduce the sound within the cabin itself. Once done so, I said my last words about the subject.

"You are a person of your actions. Not your past. You have time to learn, and grow."

With that said, I slowly inched the throttle forward. Lifting the ship off the ground. Bringing it up nose first into the sky and let it coast on the slower speed while I drew up the landing gears. Upon hearing the flaps close shut and the Red-light indicator turn to green, the throttle was set on to take us further into the atmosphere and out towards the void of space. More flips and switches along the way prepared the shuttle for Hyperspace.

"Engaging hyperdirve."

The lights came on. Indicating all systems were a go, and I punched it in. Setting us on the course towards our destination.

Milla Kryst Milla Kryst

Last edited:

Milla Kryst

Milla listened, as all she could really do. To some, this may be unnecessary information, but it meant everything to her. It didn't matter if he was explaining a common mandalorian meal for farmers or the ancient history of the first mandalorians. It all had a point. He was the teacher, and she was more than willing. Almost like she needed to hear everything. She came to understand that the title dar'manda felt just as permanent as the brand on her neck. Maybe the brand wasn't really 'permanent' in a sense, but it was more than just branded to her skin, it was branded to her soul. She was born in this life, and raised in it, and lived for over a hundred years. It's all she knew. She only knew how to serve. That was her suffering. Scars was just.... exile, but it was more akin to everyone you knew erasing your existence. You were less than no one, you became a scar upon life itself and everything you touched.

Milla was pondering all this in her head as she saw the hand gesture. She was quiet, but attentive, following after Tarre to climb into the ship. But as he spoke about how Milla should be claimed by association, her heart sank. Mandalorian culture was serious. She knew this. This wasn't a game, this wasn't something you could do as a hobby or a side job. It was a commitment, one to your brothers and sisters. This is the way. And that was what hit her the most. Instead of reacting with fright, she reacted with anger. The thought that just because she was a slave, forced into labor each and every day, that she could be exiled because of her forced association with that scum? "No! You don't..." she pulled her hands back just after she had reached for the ladder. "You don't get to threaten my new life!" Her chest heaved as it was obvious she took it personally, feeling the wind knocked out of her as her body reacted strangely. Her arms curled to her body in some inhuman way. Her legs appeared like they wanted to do the same thing, but she was fighting it. "No, I... I never got a choice in my life! I was less than an animal, I was an object for that beasts enjoyment! I was his prize for a lifetime of crime. While that ship of his dastardly deeds became my home, I would have much rather continued to be swapped between different slave dens!"

She yelled as if she was in pain, throwing her arms out. Their curling ending as her arms went back to normal. She grabbed the ladder and she climbed it, looking like she was in pain. As weird as it might be, she still got into the seat behind him, as obedience was only natural to her, and she did it without any thought. She leaned forward, shoving her arm beside Tarre so he could see it. "I was never a person, like any of you. I said I was less than an animal, I was an object," she grabbed her knife with her other hand as she slung the rifle given to her behind her, before reaching forward beside Tarre and stabbing her arm. To Tarre's amazement, there was nothing red. There was, however.... a green slime that came from her arm. And she reacted to the pain strangely, as if she knew it was happening but hardly was vocal. Her hand did a strange curling as she stabbed herself. "They called me little flower," she whispered, slowly pulling her arm back and sitting back against the seat, strapping herself in if there was one. "They would starve me for days just to see how long I'd survive, I'm basically blind in anything darker than a shade, and I could die if I have just a little bit of sugar. I walk and I talk, Tarre but I'm just playing mimic. At least, that's what they said to me. I don't know what I am, but they called me a plant. I grew for one purpose, that of a slave. Because I'm the perfect slave. One you don't need to feed, one you don't need to take care of, one you can grow like plants and we just end up looking like humans because our biology ends up mimicking them. So you don't get to threaten my chance, none of you do." Milla took it as a threat that she would become nothing again. Again, and that's why she took it so personally. "Rynn gave me this chance and no one is going to threaten it, I don't care if the others mock me. If they try I'll kill them too, or I'll die myself. Because I will not go back to that life. It's not an option for me." After all that, she wiped her eyes and went silent as he engaged the hyperdrive.

I just sat there. Accepting all that the Zelosian woman sent his way. Proving she was not human by way of stabbing her own arm and showing a rather bright green fluid instead of crimson blood. I knew of these people in the past. While at the time it was a "woman of the night." that didn't matter now. What mattered, Milla believed that my explanation of what the Dar'manda were, how they were treated, and how some may think that she is thus one because of her past association to one, was my thoughts that she was not a person.

Continuing she kept going on about how she had already been treated in the past. A woman who was used as a slave because of her long life and near no need of sustinence other than some sun. More over, how they called her little flower. A term that a father may have called a daughter in a loving manner, was used against her. Little as though she were just pretty and nothing more. I realized, my voice of what the Mandalorians did, how they operated around that singular word of Dar'manda, is what set her off. She had so much taken from her, and to finally start to get that chance, and then told she couldn't? While I had never felt that, never had the misfortune to have to deal with such a circumstance, I empathized with her. I knew that it was a hardship. One that was difficult to overcome. Once she was done, and we were on our way through hyperspace, I turned the chair around.

I stayed seated, but leaned forward. Letting the full face plate be aimed directly at her own forehead. Almost as though she could see my eyes through the helmet. My hands between my legs laying there limply but ready to act if required.

"I will not feign to understand completely what you have gone through. In truth, I had a good childhood and grew up with a loving family that taught me the ways of the Mandalorians. However, I know many who have had to deal with what you have. I want to be crystal clear. You, are not Dar'manda. Nor do I believe you are. If you were, Rynn wouldn't have taken you in."

Taking it very clearly, I used a fist and made a solid dink sound as it was gently pounded against the side of my helmet.

"This armor is a symbol of our culture. I wear it because I respect it and all of its aspects. That also means, I respect everyone else who wears it until proven otherwise. Rynn, who I have fought along side with, who I consider a friend, found you, accepted you into the Watch, and put you under my care to train, to teach, and to perform the rites of the verd'goten. Do you think he would have handed you to me without telling me something of your history already? Mind you, Rynn is my superior."

My hand lowered back into its previous position over the top of my thigh. My head shaking ever so slightly and then dipped into my chest. Feeling the rim of the helmet into my clavicle. Reaching out to my right, and just under the console, I pulled out one of the medpacs from onboard. Moving closer to her, I took out the supplies and started to take care of the wound. Cleaning it up and indicated for her to just stay there and let me do this.

"Right now, you are an initiate. Someone who has been accepted in our trials. A foundling is someone who we look to, for the purpose of training. We take care of our own no matter the rank, stature, previous employer. All I care about, Milla, is that you do your job in learning from me. Rynn accepted you, and so do I. So believe you, me. If anyone attempts to claim you as a Dar'manda, Rynn, and my necks are on the line."

I wiped away most of the "blood" that she had. I didn't use any creams or ointments as I knew not her physiology. Instead, I opted to just wrap in in some wet to dry gauze, and a wrapping to make sure it wouldn't move.

"Now this is your first lesson. A Mandalorian, controls their emotions. They keep calm, and tactical in their decision making. A hothead will do you no good in combat. There is a time to be angry and using it to empower you, and there is a time to voice your opinion or values. You will learn, that your outburst, is not a moment of victory, but a moment of weakness. Your action of succumbing to being threatened, would bring death of anyone. Even the strongest of Sith Lords or Jedi Masters can fall to being hot headed."

Standing up with the medical kit, I made it very clear now that while at first I was trying to be on her level, and to be a friend with her, my next words were as a mentor, as someone who was teaching her, and as a superior within our ranks. Leaving my words somewhat vague as to what it was I would do.

"Next time you act up like that again, letting your emotions get the better of you, I will take action to prove just how exploitive, your situation is. Understood?"

Milla Kryst Milla Kryst

Milla Kryst

As soon as Tarre turned around, Milla shrunk into her chair. She was not capable of facing repercussions of her actions with confidence. Just like how she obediently got into the cockpit as she was suggested, without thinking, she felt as if she was being scolded. She shook, her arm shriveled as Tarre reached out to clean her arm. Her instincts told her she was going to be hit, she was going to be punished for her outburst, as she always was. Her outbursts were always uncontrollable, and they kind of just, happened.... and it always seemed to get her hurt. But Tarres reaction was.... well, it frightened her more than her instinct to flinch when a hand was raised to her. Why was he.... why was he treating her wound, and speaking gently to her? Milla had become a frail little puppet in that chair as she didn't fight Tarre after that. In fact, she was embarrassed, the fact that Tarre treated her so kindly even though she screamed in his ear and tried to, technically, order him, saying what he can and can't do, he still reached out to her compassionately.

She never had a teacher, a father figure, a mentor. A lesson, she was being taught something, and she forgot that. Tarre and Rynn stuck their necks out for her, and she was spitting on it. For the first time, Milla had some semblance of a family, or what it might mean to have a family. Soon after, Tarre would notice that her hand would uncurl from its unnatural state, signifying he treated it well. Zelosians didn't quite react the same to medications as other near-humans did, but the basics were more than enough to help it along so it could heal itself. They both would learn that Milla had a long path ahead of her, to learn from her mistakes, and overcome them. Her emotions would need to be controlled. But she found inspiration in the faceless man in front of her. He didn't yell, as others did. He didn't hurt her, as others did. He treated her right and knew when to tell her what is right and wrong. He didn't scold her, but he told her straight.

"Yes, al'verde."

Was all she could muster. She was intimidated, but also confused. Scared as she had never been treated in such a manner. A lot of thoughts were going through her head. She was given a chance at a new life but she was going to have to earn it. If she wanted respect, she had to also give it. Milla kept quiet for a moment, but as it felt like the tension went down slightly, she looked up and spoke softly, "do you... show your face, or are you like..."

I did notice her reaction. Shying away from all actions I took from her, but she understood. She was someone who likely was beaten for speaking out like that. So seeing her almost hide from me, made me really learn myself, that I also had to watch my actions around her. Sure she may have expected my hand to backhand her, but that is not who I was. I grew up on the idea that everyone has an equal right to life, and the pursuit of happiness. No matter what form that may be. I started to turn away from her as she outright called me a commander. My head flung back towards her. A half chuckle in my voice.

"I am no al'verde. Just a Crusader, and to you, a teacher, and a friend."

I returned back to sit in my seat. Sighting quite heavily as I lowered myself into the chair. Turning back around and started to check the systems of the ship. Making sure we were on course just for a quick second. Almost sheepishly, Milla spoke up. Asking about my face. Did I show it to others. Quickly and without a word, I just shook my head no.

"Some Mando's do, some don't. I grew up without ever seeing my fathers face till I graduated verd'goten. I wear his helmet. Some believe that showing your face to another living being is showing them who you once were. People want to move on from their past, and thus keep their face behind a vizor. I do it, because its a custom, and I would rather someone not see my face, and be able to identify me."

I didn't look back at her. Mostly saying it without much extra thought. Looking over the fuel which I knew was already full, but more so making sure we didn't have a leak as that was my most recent fix a couple weeks ago. More over, I was toggling through the weapon systems and making sure they would come online and troubleshoot.

"Will I make you hide your face once you graduate? No. Because some don't follow that code. However, if you wish to do the same, you can."

Once the checks were started and doing the process on their own without me needing to watch it, I leaned back in the chair. letting the dome of the helemt fall into my hands behind my head. Almost resting.

"The other thing about having a helmet, is I don't need to worry about people seeing who I am. All they see is "Death Watch Mandalorian." Not Tarre Priest, a man who grew up on Kiffex farming livestock and crops before breakfast every morning. Nor do they know I used to have braces on my teeth, or have a qukuuf."

There was a moment before I realized that some of the words I spoke may be things that Milla wouldn't know. So with a little haste I continued and explained what I spoke about.

"Kiffex is a planet where the Kiffu people are from. At least, the agriculture world. And a qukuuf is a familial tattoo upon our face. One that shows who our family is. Another reason why I hide my face. As a tattoo, it would be easy to search any database and find it. Just like your own."

Turning around to her and sitting proper in the chair this time, I made it clear that her tattoo I knew of.

"I know that what you got is not your choice, but my point is that its an identifier. Something that someone, anyone could use against you."

Milla Kryst Milla Kryst

Milla Kryst

Tarre spoke far more than she bargained for, she was used to people being short, but this.... well, originally she was curious because she knew some followed a code that no one could ever see their face, and some did not follow that code. She was just curious if he followed that code. The explanation that came with the answer was unexpected, and was far more than she expected. Although it was unnecessary stuff for her to know, she listened, and didn't object to it. The things she didn't understand, he seemingly realized and further explained it. It was almost funny, in a way, that she was handed more information than was necessary and even had said information explained, but it did mean something to her. Understanding what the Qukuuf was made her think about her own tattoo on her neck, reaching up to rub her neck in shame over it.

As she let his words fill the air and give meaning to a moment of silence, she thought about Rynn and his choices of her, "this tattoo is the reason why I've done all this..." she said softly and dismissively, as if she wasn't even looking towards him or trying to hold a conversation. "I'm sorry, I just.... I killed that man because I saw an opportunity after my emotions were high. He had already committed his acts against me and he wanted to sleep. I killed a defenseless man. I took his armor to hide my identifier. Rynn took that armor from me and offered me something I never thought I could have. To no longer hide my shame. I mean, I didn't kill him too long ago, but I haven't really changed. I know I need to grow up, it's just I've always felt grown up, there was never a time for me to be a child. I guess it all just.... mixed together." Milla didn't feel they had to continue this, or bring drama upon Tarre that he didn't need, she she took a breath and became a little more active, "so, what are we hunting?"

She understood. She was starting to get the idea and while she just sat there and listened to me ramble on about my reasoning behind it, even though in the honest truth, I wouldn't feel any different if I showed her my face, it was the conceptual reasoning that prevented me. It made me who I am. I am Tarre Priest, a Mandalorian Sniper, Beskarsmith, and Crusader Veteran of the Death Watch Crusades. Its who I will be till the day I remove my helmet. But, I let those thoughts drift away as Milla began to speak to really, no one in particular.

Slowly, her words began to be directed at me. Telling me that the armor she had was taken. So that it was no longer hers, nor the man who had her. She no longer had to hide, and would forge her own path. For that, all I did was nodded my head. While I am sure I could probably come up with something to say about it, I decided not to. It wouldn't add to the situation at hand, and I doubt she wanted to continue any further.

However, she spoke up. Asking about the hunt. In an act for her to further learn on what we were hunting, I just shrugged my shoulders.

"Honestly, not sure. Kind of depends on what we find out there."

I had a chuckle to myself as I pointed to the rifle.

"That would be too powerful for vermin. We hunt larger game. Typically one of the many trials of old, would be to hunt a specific creature down within a week, take it out, return it as a prize, and you could keep a trophy from it. However, in this case, we are just hunting."

Turning around, I messed with the controls a bit before swiveling the chair just a smidge and leaning back so she could see the Holoprojector. It was small but she could see it.

"The planet of Dxun is well known to be a Mandalorian Hunting ground. One that many Mandalorians had lost their lives too. Jungles cover about ninety percent of the planet. The other percent? Bodies of water. This trip is about learning how to find a prey you want, staying away from others you don't, then tracking it down. However, I don't think you will have too much of a problem killing it."

Milla Kryst Milla Kryst

Milla Kryst

Milla thought for a moment as she wondered about the life that inhabited the place where they were going. Traveling wasn't exactly new to Milla, though she never bothered with sightseeing or the curious details of a planet before. And before she was able to travel freely, she never got to see too much of out the outside save for a window or two. Tarre's mentioning that they would have to actually fight something larger than common vermin, she thought about if they would be fighting actual predators. But when he mentioned the planet Dxun, she remembered that planet from her memories. "You said Dxun," she asked, "I remember my owner speaking about that place.... He said he always wanted to kill a maalraas... said the kill alone was was an accomplishment in its own right, but its hide was well worth more than the trophy of killing it." She seemed a little excited, curious about what exactly a Maalraas was, and if they would see one, "is that what we're going to find?"

She was excited now. Knowing the planet we were heading too. Dxun as a well known hunting ground for Mandalorians and even others of many species. Any species of creature out there would be deadly. However, the one mentioned by Milla, the Maalraas, or Nighthunters, were known to be dangerous more still. Hunting in packs, hides thick to resist a lot of weapons, and bones coveted by many due to a strange ability to withstand those laser swords the Jedi and Sith carried. Dangerous was an understatement for this planet as a whole.

While she couldn't see it, I smirked behind the faceplate and just continued to sit how I was.

"If you want to hunt one of the Nighthunters, we can. While it might be easier to find one as they tend to be in packs, taking one out without the others coming down on our heads will be a different matter."

Holding up a finger, I just easily went to point out something else.

"Worse still, they can turn invisible. Some sensors can't even catch them. So if you really want to hunt one down, we are gonna need more than just a rifle to get it done."

Thinking about it for a moment, I wouldn't speak any more for now. The main idea was presented. What I wanted, was for Milla to maybe come up with a concept of what we could do to combat the advantages of the Maalraas. If she was to learn, best to be by her own decisions. Even if it were wrong, I would go with it. Because I needed her to learn and understand that decisions could cost more than her own life, but those of her peers.

Milla Kryst Milla Kryst

Milla Kryst

Milla thought for a moment as she listened to Tarre explain to her the situation.... hunting a Maalraas? It was important to her ex-owner, and it seemed important in Mandalorian culture to her. It would be dangerous, of course, but she felt she lived in a life of danger everyday. The unfortunate response was a life of fear, and she wanted to be rid of that. A life of strength, instead, and Tarre would be there, to guide her onto the right path. "Perhaps a smaller fiend is more appropriate for a child, and even if you consider me a child to Mandalorian standards, I believe we both understand I need to be put through the fire. I can't be raised like an infant to learn the ways of Mandalore and her people, I don't have that luxury. I am a fully grown adult and do not get the benefits of a child. Should I die, I will die, but I believe with your guidance, and if we support each other, as Mandalorians should, we can do it. What is the use of a partner or brother if they have no confidence?"

She reached forward, patting him on the shoulder, "you've already began to teach me more than I have learned in my whole life. At least, real, useful, life stuff. Not.... slavery education. The best I got there was how to cook, but I think it's best we don't give me cook detail." Milla might be able to cook something appropriately, but finding what was edible, or even really making it edible was a test of the gods for mortals. "We ought to prey on them, as they would prey on us. They don't know we are preparing on them, as other creatures don't know when a Maalraas would prepare on them. I'm sure they can adapt in their environment, but nothing is stopping us from surprising a few except our choice to try or not. I still wish to defer to your expertise, as I don't know anything about the planet or this predator, just a name I've heard in passing."

Child? Did she really think I compared her to that of a child? She may be an outsider, and someone who needed to learn of the culture, but just because a lack of knowledge in a culture meant you had to go through the same kind of training a child did, did not mean you ARE one. Verd'goten was a series of tests first built for children, but were later adopted into a training and preparation for anyone wanting to join a clan. I am more than sure that these trials were changed for other individuals who grew up in this culture, or for those who had previous knowledge.

No, instead I shook my head.

"Then the Maalraas will be your trial. Learning to hunt them, without becoming the prey."

Standing up from where I was, two steps were taken to another cabinet within the cockpit. Opening it up with a rather loud squeek sound, clearly needed to be taken care of, it exposed some visor equipment, as well as helmets. There were also some different kinds of bracers that held weaponry and tools on them that were near the bottom. Even a Jetpack should I need one. However, I reached in and found a visor that would likely be best for this. Handing it to her, it was a simple tool that any Mandalorian already had within their own full beskargam, but someone like Milla who didn't, this would be used all the time.

"Its a targeting visor. Helps with pretty much any weapon that has an electrical signature, and has a couple different vision modes. Thermal, Low light, Night-vision, and even a Sonar based one. As for hunting them, its pack mentality. If you see one, expect another four."

Milla Kryst Milla Kryst

Milla Kryst

Milla still thought of herself as a child, as her only knowledge was really that of captivity and providing for others, however the providing for others skill was terrible. Which meant, she had... other skills. However, she did not see it as a weakness, she saw it as one of her most powerful strengths. She had the capacity to learn. She would make mistakes, but not ignore them or brush them off, she would learn from them. Understand what she did wrong and overcome it. She had an incredible capacity for growth, even at her age. Even with her questioning of her capability to learn, capacity was far different. She's lived this long, and she still has a spring in her step, which to her meant she wasn't old, and she could go on for at least twice as long!

Maalraas it is then, she thought. She was confidant, but she felt like she stepped into a hornets nest. Her previous owner saw Maalraas as a creature that could rival Mandalorians alone when in the right environment, and he was a strong warrior, that even faced off in multiple duels a day. Sometimes right in front of her, on the ship they once traveled on. Now, she opened her mouth, and she was about to face something on a whole different level from her. But she had Tarre, as long as she doesn't get him killed, she thought she could get out of this alive.

She watched as he rummaged through a cabinet next to him, being inquisitive to what was in it and what he was doing, but she didn't sink too deep into his privacy. Not until he pulled an object out, and reached it over to her. She listened, seemingly mind boggled that he was.... giving her something? She looked at the item, then at Tarre, then the item, then back at Tarre, all while slowly taking the item. He could tell she was hesitant to take it, but she gently took it, expecting Tarre to jerk his hand back, but still graciously accepting it from him. The only thing she had been given in her life had been mistreatment, up 'till now. Even the meeting with the Rally Master Rynn wasn't.... without a bit of pain. That's what she had come to expect. "O-oh, alright," she slowly slid it over her head, still expecting to have it nabbed back, tinkering with it to try and understand how it worked. "Okay, so.... what will be the first thing we do, when we land? Find a place to camp, or try and find a den?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom