Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Out of the Pan (looking for Sith or Jedi)

OOC: Occurs shortly after the events of You Can't Always Get What You Want

IC:

"I'm not sure this was such a good idea."

Hazel eyes nervously surveyed the plaza in front of them, and Evelyn picked at a loose thread on her forest-green, long-sleeved and hooded top. It had been a hasty and recent purchase, as was the rest of her outfit. Her clothes from the night before were too splattered with blood and bits of brain matter to be good for anything other than incineration, as far as she was concerned.

She tried her best to avoid the memory of the wet crunching the metal bar made when it caved in Dendric's skull, inhaling and exhaling a bit shakily. The young woman was still struggling to come to terms with her actions, filled with guilt, horror - and most disturbingly - a sense of satisfaction at how good it felt to give in to her anger that night.

He murdered the man I loved. Ripped my life to shreds. Was it so wrong, that I took his life in return?

It was a question she once believed she knew the answer to - but now, she wasn't so sure. Morality, like the rest of her emotions, seemed to be shifting in a strange and unfamiliar way that left Evelyn thoroughly disoriented.

Now, dusk was falling on Coruscant, the ever-present neon lights glowing brighter as the sun faded. A misting of rain fell, keeping most passerby moving along without pausing to take in the two stationary figures. Next to her, Nicair, the Mandalorian who'd inexplicably whisked her to safety with blood still warm on her hands, stood impassively.

He'd warned her that the rest of Dendric's gang would be looking for her, once they figured out she was responsible for their comrade's sudden and gruesome end. It didn't help that several of them watched him walk out of the bar with her that night.

Now, he'd suggested surveying a few areas for intelligence, to get a better idea of what they were up against. Across the plaza, a few establishments frequented by local gangs in the area seemed like a decent enough place to start. Self-consciously, Evelyn adjusted the hood over her head.

"What are we supposed to be looking for?"

She'd served in the Army, but as a logistics officer, not intel. She could scan for threats to convoys, sure, but an intel op was more than a little outside her wheelhouse.

[member="Nicair Claden"]

"Their behavior. If they have weapons or not, tense or not. Listen to the way they talk, and what about. You're one person, I wouldn't put it past them to showboat their plans in public. What could anyone do if they found out?"

He stood without his armor. It wasn't a choice he made without some thought, but in intelligence gathering, the armor tended to stick out. His hands were in the pockets of his jacket. Much like Evelyn, his clothing had been recently obtained as he didn't usually wear street clothes. His pants were on the tighter side and his boots came up to his knee. Both black. His jacket was a darker brown contrast against the grey shirt he wore underneath it. He stood erect, back straight, knees slightly bent, no reason to get caught flatfooted.

"Stay out here for now. After five minutes come in. Just to be safe." He didn't turn his head when he talked to her, at the moment they were just two people standing across from some shady establishments, nothing out of the ordinary there. More likely to give information to a single individual. Though, if two or three show up and the person feels like they have an audience, they might sing like a performer. All in time.

[member="Evelyn Roslin"]

"Right."

Evelyn chewed her lower lip, frowning into the slowly darkening landscape. She was nervous, sure . . . but that wasn't what bothered her.

What bothered her was the almost predatory hunger underneath the nerves, a part of her she didn't recognize that actually desired confrontation. The need to release her fear and aggression through violent action, to chase away her demons by giving them an outlet. She felt wired, hyper-aware, somehow, and couldn't quite seem to stand still.

Killing Dendric left her disgusted at her actions, wracked with guilt . . . and somehow hungry for more. It left her in a state of cognitive dissonance and confusion.

Not exactly the best mindset to gather intelligence among a gang that may or may not be hunting her down.

"So, that's almost 5 minutes then. Let's go."

It was less than three, but the potential energy buzzing inside her wouldn't allow Evelyn to wait any longer. Without waiting for Nicair to respond, she started forward towards the less-than-reputable establishment, hood still pulled up, hazel eyes narrowed, squinting against the change in lighting as she ducked inside what looked like a club of sorts. It seemed half-full of beings, milling around a bar in the middle, with more secluded tables ringing the outer walls. It was dark, lit by blue lights the occasional orange neon. A burly-looking man with a scruffy red beard sized her up when she entered, and Evelyn belatedly realized he was the bouncer.

"You got business here sweet'art?"

His tone was somewhat incredulous, but not completely dismissive. Evelyn swallowed, trying to come up with an answer, as man's expression grew less patient.

"Uh, yes, actually, I do . . ."

She glanced behind him, though it was unlikely she'd recognize any of the club's patrons.

[member="Nicair Claden"]

"Clen, hey man how are you?!" Nicair feigned excitement and overall pleasantness as he shouted to one of the men seated inside the bar. He didn't know him personally but he knew that he'd invite anyone in to have a drink, so long as you were "nice". As could be expected, the man waved Nicair in.

"Oh, sorry big man, she's with me. Showing the new wife the sights and all. Haven't seen Clen in years I tell ya." The bouncer nodded and stepped aside, Nicair gave him an appreciative pat on the muscular arm with a pleasant "cheers". Once he crossed the threshold, however, his smile and energetic face faded back to its almost statuesque default state. He turned to his "wife" and whispered.

"Thanks for the lead up."

[member="Evelyn Roslin"]

Evelyn felt her cheeks flush, recognizing that her actions hadn't been the smartest. It was strange; she was usually the analytical one, rarely prone to impulse.

Maybe I'm losing it.

It wasn't an entirely unlikely thought, actually - given the way the last few days played out.

"Sorry."

She whispered back, glancing around the bar as they stepped forward. It wasn't completely crowded, but there enough folks milling around that their entrance hadn't drawn more than a few curious looks. Inhaling and exhaling slowly, Evelyn tried to discern which of the clusters of beings might be part of Dendric's gang - or discussing his gang's activities. Either one would do.

Damnit, I'm a logistician, not a spook.

Deciding that ordering a beverage would have the dual benefit of helping them blend in, and perhaps soothing her nerves, she looped her arm through Nicair's. She hoped it looked effortless, because it felt distinctly wrong, her body and heart telling her this wasn't Vier.

Vier's dead. And it's only an act.

Plastering what she hoped was a carefree smile on her face, she said a bit more loudly,

"Buy me a drink before we meet your friends?"

"Of course!" Smiling this wide almost hurt, maybe he was overdoing it. In any case he latched on to the happiest memory he had and milked it home. He held his arm a little closer to his body in an attempt to feign the intimacy of a newlywed, still so enamored with his partner. He laid back on the smile so that it turned into an almost smug prideful little grin as if to say "I have this, and none of you can". He led her to a small table in the corner, good line of sight.

"Watch the others." Nicair whispered to her as he left her there to begin his walk to the bar. At the moment it was challenging to balance his hyper-vigilance and his facade. Someone akin to his performance wouldn't be too concerned with those around him, yet his instincts told him he was in a dangerous place. He mixed both by taking a quick glance back to Evelyn, letting his eyes widen and his smile grow. In the few seconds it lasted he scanned what he could from the other patrons. It was lucky he only locked eyes with Evelyn, only she had the opportunity to see how empty the orbs were.

He made it to the bar without being contested and waved to the bartender, holding two fingers up and mouthing the word "ale". Nicair set to leaning himself against the bar at a perpendicular angle. He'd usually turn around completely but such is the way of things.

[member="Evelyn Roslin"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom