Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Ori'ramikad Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ori'ramikad Tree
1430917.jpg

Intent: To create a rare form of tree that for the Mandalorian people
Image Credit: Here. Dividers were a custom creation by [member="Anija Betna"]
Canon: N/A
Creators: [member="Maple Harte"] & Ijaat Mereel (submitted by Ijaat Mereel due to formatting issues for Maple. I want to stress the unique originality and heart & soul of this really awesome idea came from Maple. I just formatted it to look pretty and flow better really.)

Links: N/A
jAL2QOU.png

GENERAL INFORMATION

Name: Ori'ramikad Tree (Taung War Oak)
Homeworld: Mandalore, Concord Dawn
Other Locations: Any planet with a harsh climate will be a suitable place. Most common in formerly or currently occupied Mandalorian territories
Classification: Tree
Average Growth Cycle: Six years to reach maturity, though it will continue slowly growing for twenty to thirty years afterward, and has no known maximum age where death and petrification automatically happen. On average, due to maturation being reached and them being harvested and other external factors, it is rare to see a tree of this species go beyond one hundred, or one hundred and fifty years of age, though some much old in more remote places have been reported.

From a seed, it slumbers for a full year after being planted, areas heavy tectonic activity are best as the vibrations stimulate it as it sprouts. The first six months are crucial in determining whether it will reach maturity since roughly seventy-five percent of the sproutlings do not survive the six month maturation period. The ones that do violently burst through the soil one day looking for all the world like a wooden spear.

The "spear" grows tall and after thirteen days past sprouting, it begins producing resin over its body, followed by slow expansion and harsher, more gnarled wood growing through and eventually the sapling being covered in a layer of golden resin that is completely poisonous to the touch. This will end with the tree to be covered by another layer of wood. Lumps develop on the final outer layer, which blackens as it reaches full maturity. Upon the death of the tree, a special chemical reaction in the resin takes place, resulting in complete petrification in minutes. The bark turns a sterile white marked with gold strands of resin, though it is still useful, if not more so, once it reaches this point. Death can be caused by 'poisoning' the soil with beskar dust, amphistaff venom, sonic emissions at the right frequencies, and the still living tree will die quite violently if bes'manda is present in the soil, the two seeming to be polar opposites. Or it can happen naturally, as for any other plant.

Viability: It needs to be planted in an area of harsh, arid soil and severe tectonic activity for best growth and strength. Ori'ramikad trees need very little water to survive, about an hour of moderate rainfall can keep it fed for weeks. Arborist have noted that burying dead flesh by its roots or spilling warm blood from a carcass stimulates the tree and makes its surface more even and smooth for harvest, though those are not a requirement for its survival or full maturation. This is believed to possibly be due in part to the increased iron content of the 'fertilizer'. Mandalore itself is an ideal ground due to the tectonic volatility of it's surface since the cataclysm. The shifting of the planet's surface plates seems to create just the right 'background noise', if you will, to give the growing saplings what they need.

Description: A fully grown example resembles a giant, lumpy bonsai tree with lumpy overgrowths of bark and obsidian leaves. At death the wood turns a clinical white, and the leaves turn blood red.

jAL2QOU.png

PHYSICAL INFORMATION

Average height: Fifty Meters full grown
Average length: Fifty meters
Color: Black, like obsidian.White with gold resin streaks as dead wood.
Nutritional Value: You would not swallow a beskad, so you should not eat any part of this tree, because its tough fibers and untreated resin will treat your insides just like a beskad would. Death from ingestion of any part of the ori'ramikad tree is long and painful. And typically inevitable
Distinctions: The Plant is characterized by its intimidating presence, jet black on the brightest of days, and there seems to be no difference in color in regional growths, only in the number of branches. (Six for Mandalore, five for everywhere not Mandalore) When used to strengthen or make armor, its extremely resistant to kinetic impact and possesses energy resistance, both of which depend on where it is grown. Armor made from trees grown on Mandalore always have the highest level of resistance in both categories

Strengths:
  • I admire its purity: The tree is capable of absorbing severe kinetic impact, even stopping vibro-tools specifically designed to cut tough bark. The trees on Mandalore always produce the strongest results and in character, Mandalore grown trees always produce double the quality of non-Mandalore trees.
  • Lightweight: The harvested timber results always produce armor and devices of extraordinarily light weight in comparison to others.
  • Energy resistant: The resin when treated and bonded to the wood makes it resistant to energy weapons to a mild degree, and it is rumored the resin can be applied to other items with similar, if lesser results.
  • Multi-Purpose: The wood, when properly cut, can be fitted around handles, such as staves, or even used to make special lightweight vibroswords. Often weapons crafted from this wood are highly prized heirlooms & ceremonial, even given to outsiders over beskar as tokens of esteem and trust.
Weaknesses:
  • Situational strength: The oak if grown elsewhere simply will never be as strong as the stuff on Mandalore. The conditions may be proper for it to survive, with those trees bearing five branches being the strongest, decreasing in strength with less. Two branch trees barely offer more protection than run of the mill light armor, though it retains its extraordinary light weight.
  • High maintenance: Things made from the wood must be regularly treated in the oak resin of its species to retain its kinetic resistance properties once harvested. Overlays or underlays for armor using it must have a light amount applied every six months, to help the wood retain its molecular properties as well as its energy resistance.
  • Vong Vulnerable: The wood seems almost allergic to anything vong shaped, and Amphistaff venom eats through it in rapidly, the energy field around an amphistaff similarly slicing through it as a lightsaber through durasteel or duraplast
  • Requires experienced harvesters: Only Mandalorians bear the secrets of proper wood harvest, upgrading, creation, and repair. But even they have trouble, as the wood even under the best conditions is difficult to work, and must be cut with special tools with monomolecular edges and shaped painstakingly, and an improper working can render it all unusable. Beskar, or bes'manda, edged or made tools seem to cut through it easier than most, with bes'manda made devices slicing clean through it.

jAL2QOU.png

HISTORICAL INFORMATION
There is no record of this species before the Gulag Plague. It was first discovered in an underground forest, and the metalsmiths discovered it kinetic absorbance properties, producing specialized armor pieces excellent for surviving either blunt force trauma or armor piercing rounds, with the resin granting it limited energy resistance. Difficult to properly cultivate even for experts, the armor made from this is often ceremonial, finding more use in upgrades for other armors. But for those who can afford it, Taung War Oak offers excellent kinetic and energy protection for what it is. The wood, however, is uniquely vulnerable to vong tech, giving some Mandalorian smiths a suspicion that the species is the remnants of a former Vong project.

[member="Ijaat Mereel"]

Okay before anything else-

Your first image is broken, want to fix that?

Image Credit: How to properly source your images
Going to need you to actually source your images, including the break bars (just let me know who made them if it's a Chaoser)

Homeworld: Mandalore, Concord Dawn
If I can have you link to the wookiee for both of these, that'd be great.

[member="Ijaat Mereel"]

So, unfortunately I still need you to fix that image credit- it needs to link to the site the image comes from, not directly to the image itself. And I still need a credit for the dividers.

(Same resistance as Mandalorian steel to lightsabers and other damage, with the same functional properties as Concordian Cedar, but applied to kinetic damage instead of blasters)
Okay, for this I'm going to need the actual details from the original subs, laid out here- for instance I had to first go to the Mando Steel link then google Turadium to find what you meant by 'same'- that info needs to be laid out clearly in this sub (as well as any other features that are the 'same' in this case). I'm going to recommend a list format to make it very easy for people looking at the sub to see just what this does and what it does not do. Any place in your strengths or weaknesses where you say 'same as' I need you to actually put what that means, so people can see, rather than go hunting.

[member="Irajah Ven"] -

Image credit fixed for main image. The dividers were a custom creation by [member="Anija Betna"] for myself and a few other Mandalorian writers. I have noted that in the image credits in a way I hope is aceptable. If not, let me know and I can switch it up further.

As for your second point about resistances, I went into the strengths column and edited in the same notations that the referenced submissions had, or that their wookie/canon had (for duraplast), so I have hopefully fixed that as well. It didn't look or flow right making them into their own list and felt redundant. Let me know if that works, and for ease of reading I have put the relevant changes in quotes below.

Mandalorian Steel & Concordian Cedar Equivalent

• (Same resistance as Mandalorian steel to lightsabers, which is to say the same as an axe chopping at wood, one blow will damage, but it will take several to destory or seriously damage, and other damage. Approximately the same functional properties as Concordian Cedar, but applied to kinetic damage instead of blasters, which is to say that it takes the damage and disperses it throughout the material, taking several blows from said type of impact to damage or destroy a piece of the wood)

Duraplast Equivalency & General Energy Resistance

• which is to say that light blasters will score or mar and take several hits, but a medium blaster would take less than a handful, and a heavy blaster would take only one or two dependant on the blaster.

Off-World Variant Tree Lightsaber Ressistance

only able to take 1-2 blows before destruction of material.

Let me know if those are sufficient.

[member="Ijaat Mereel"]

Thank you, appreciate it. And yes that's fine, the list was more a suggestion but as long as the info is there I'm not picky.

Over all, I really like this. It looks like something that's going to give folks 1-2 hits vs main threats you find in PvP, giving a good story reason to keep going against a variety of foes, but not the capacity to long term tank- great options for story focus and RP. I have a couple of things I need to see added/clarified:

-What about Mandalore makes it special for these trees? Something in the air? The soil? A particular mineral? Whatever it is (and if it's secret to the Mandalorian craftsmen, that is 100% fine, just the submission is about getting the objective info still in place), could someone with the knowledge of that use that information to grow stronger versions off planet? If not, why?

-
Requires experienced harvesters: Only Mandalorians bear the secrets of proper wood harvest, upgrading, creation, and repair. But even they have trouble, as the wood even under the best conditions is difficult to work, and must be cut with special tools with monomolecular edges and shaped painstakingly, and an improper working can render it all unusable.
This isn't really a weakness. "Only the people this is created for know how to work it." That part is a strength and should be added to the strengths, while the difficulty working itself can remain in the weaknesses.

-This is a material that is stronger against lightsabers, kinetic and energy/blasters, things that are useful always in PvP. But the weaknesses are pretty situational- they won't come up very often, if at all. I'd like to see a weakness added that is something that better mirrors its primary strengths. My suggestion is to include a weakness about what it does *not* offer protection on- in this case things like sonic/acid/etc. These come up less often in PvP, but more often than say Vong tech, so it would be a little less situational without nerfing the main focus of the material.

With all of the above (assuming you go with the weakness suggested above), there will be 4 strengths that clearly benefit PvP combat, and only one weakness that effects this material in typical PvP combat (and even the one I suggested isn't going to be *most* situations). I'll need a weakness added in addition that is *not* situational, and actually has the potential to affect PvP.

[member="Ijaat Mereel"]

Archiving this for inactivity. You can have it unarchived and moved to Pre-Codex by posting in the Submission Modification thread or PMing [member="Allyson Locke"] [member="Zeradias Mant"] or [member="Samka Derith"].

[member="Irajah Ven"] - I'm not quite sure I agree with your assessment of the PVP weaknesses. At all. If you are insistent another weakness be added, i'd rather just remove the details on armor, submit the tree here, and submit the tree in processed form to the Factory for PVP balance. I am open to tweaking strengths, and possibly even dropping some of them, but to add another weakness to another source of damage would make this useless in my eyes.

[member="Ijaat Mereel"]

My suggestions for additional weaknesses was on the assumption the strengths were as desired- usually people would rather add weaknesses, instead of removing strengths, but you could absolutely tweak the strengths.

You could also absolutely submit this as the tree itself, and then a material sub in the factory for the details on how using it to make armor works. Once something gets into strengths in PvP, then the focus ends up on that. If we want to refocus on the tree itself, rather than what is made from the tree beyond a general mention that it can be (material to be subbed) I have zero issue with that.

I am happy to work with whichever route you'd rather take. I personally think the later is the better one, that will more likely end up with all of the traits you are hoping to accomplish with this idea, but let me know what suits you better and we can go from there.

[member="Irajah Ven"] - Edited the post accordingly. Deployment shift at work thanks to a scheduling shift, so been fighting with a major for a few days. Hopefully the edits work, let me know! I'll sub the armor material in the factory!

[member="Ijaat Mereel"]

This looks much better and more in line with something that works well for a species submission.

I have two questions still.

First, from a previous post:

-What about Mandalore makes it special for these trees? Something in the air? The soil? A particular mineral? Whatever it is (and if it's secret to the Mandalorian craftsmen, that is 100% fine, just the submission is about getting the objective info still in place), could someone with the knowledge of that use that information to grow stronger versions off planet? If not, why?

-Second, since the properties change slightly when the tree dies, about how long is the average lifespan of one of these trees? Does the petrification only happen upon 'natural' death by old age? Or can it be force upon the tree by external forces (destroying the roots, cutting it down, poisons like the vong stuff, etc).

[member="Irajah Ven"] -

First Point:
Viability: It needs to be planted in an area of harsh, arid soil and severe tectonic activity for best growth and strength. Ori'ramikad trees need very little water to survive, about an hour of moderate rainfall can keep it fed for weeks. Arborist have noted that burying dead flesh by its roots or spilling warm blood from a carcass stimulates the tree and makes its surface more even and smooth for harvest, though those are not a requirement for its survival or full maturation. This is believed to possibly be due in part to the increased iron content of the 'fertilizer'. Mandalore itself is an ideal ground due to the tectonic volatility of it's surface since the cataclysm. The shifting of the planet's surface plates seems to create just the right 'background noise', if you will, to give the growing saplings what they need.
Second Point:

Average Growth Cycle: Six years to reach maturity, though it will continue slowly growing for twenty to thirty years afterward, and has no known maximum age where death and petrification automatically happen. From a seed, it slumbers for a full year after being planted, areas heavy tectonic activity are best as the vibrations stimulate it as it sprouts. The first six months are crucial in determining whether it will reach maturity since roughly seventy-five percent of the sproutlings do not survive the six month maturation period. The ones that do violently burst through the soil one day looking for all the world like a wooden spear.

The "spear" grows tall and after thirteen days past sprouting, it begins producing resin over its body, followed by slow expansion and harsher, more gnarled wood growing through and eventually the sapling being covered in a layer of golden resin that is completely poisonous to the touch. This will end with the tree to be covered by another layer of wood. Lumps develop on the final outer layer, which blackens as it reaches full maturity. Upon death of the tree, a special chemical reaction in the resin takes place, resulting in complete petrification in minutes. The bark turns a sterile white marked with gold strands of resin, though it is still useful, if not more so, once it reaches this point. Death can be caused by 'poisoning' the soil with beskar dust, amphistaff venom, sonic emissions at the right frequencies, and the still living tree will die quite violently if bes'manda is present in the soil, the two seeming to be polar opposites. Or it can happen naturally as for any other plant.

Zeradias Mant

Democracy Dies in Darkness
[member="Ijaat Mereel"]

Six years to reach maturity, though it will continue slowly growing for twenty to thirty years afterward, and has no known maximum age where death and petrification automatically happen
It's fine if there is no known or recorded maximum age ICly, but I'd still like for you to put an age when the trees age out and die naturally for posterity OOC.

[member="Zeradias Mant"] - I actually researched this... Real, factual trees do *not* have an age where they suddenly die out. So I went with that and didn't put a max age. It's not like it being older makes it stronger or anything...My apologies in that! I put in an average lifespan, and hopefully, that works for your request.

On average, due to maturation being reached and them being harvested and other external factors, it is rare to see a tree of this species go beyond one hundred, or one hundred and fifty years of age, though some much old in more remote places have been reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom