Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Open Sparring on Sullust

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Jedi Temple Construction Site
Sullust

There were eight massive landing pads. They sat empty now as the dropships had all left for the weekend. Leaving nothing more than sparse debris and few crate shells. It held quite the view of the dusty Sullustian underground too. The black rocks all around being illuminated by glowing orange magma veins. It even smelled dusty. In a subterranean kind of way. It made Karen wrinkle her nose and wish she'd brought more lotion. Place was almost as bad as Mustafarian summer. Except for the heat. Down here it was actually quite cold. The city heat shields that doted the landscape did a tremendous job of keeping the scorching flames away. Too good of a job, if you asked poor Roberts. Never before had she ever pondered bringing a coat out onto the rooftops of a planet powered by geothermal heat before. It was like thinking about taking a bikini to Hoth. Ugh. And she'd never do that again either.

Chip "The Magnum" La'Say was perched near the edge of the pad. Swinging his legs out over the massive expanse below. He seemed to be enjoying the scenery too. Well. This might have been his first Jedi Temple to see up-close and personal. Couldn't fault the man for that.

"Well. What do you say Commander? Up for some sparring today?" She smiled.

"Oh yeah. You know it Roberts. Oh yeah. So are Greg and Telos. I told them to show up right about now too. So as not to miss all the fun. They decided not to go to Orbit after all. Figured they might as come, seeing as they were sticking around anyway."

"Good. That's fine. Never hurts to get the Rangers some practice at it. Old school sabers or not."

"Nah. It's good game for the Sith Lords. The boys know that. Railguns or not, the lightsaber will always have it's uses. Even in a world filled with Sith toys built just to overcome it."

Chip swung himself back from the hanging edge and stood up. Shaking off the morning air. He was always game for some exercise. Gym or no gym. He would manage. Karen looked him over from top to bottom. They'd just come from the flight deck so they were still wearing their Minotaur Armor System. Not great for sparring but it never hurt to practice in your pack. That's where the real fighting would happen anyway. Might as well get used to it.

"So Commander?" Chip nodded, "We gonna be seeing a few more Jedi showing up for practice too, or what?"

"Oh yes. I'd have to assume so. I sent the Satellite Academies an invitation. So, I expect somebody will turn up. Eventually. We have the whole weekend to sort it out. So... We'll manage."

"Oh snap. ...Nah, that's cool. I like to practice with the new kids anyways. Keeps things original, ya know."

"Sure Chip. Sure."

She smiled and looked to the lofty skies of the underground. Two more ships were approaching from the south, marked with familiar colors. Roberts gave a nod to Magnum as they passed by overhead,

"Mm. That them?"

"Yeah. Hm. And it looks like Telos brought a friend. Cute."

"Good. The more the merrier." She smirked as the two birds set down, "Go say hello Commander and thank them for coming. I'm going to meditate a bit before the session starts. When everyone is ready? Have Greg and Telos join us in the Meld. We'll start there."

"Affirmative Commander. I'll grab the crew and bring them your way in a sec. Cheers."

Roberts gave a nod and turned about to take in the view once again. Ah yes. This was a good place. The Sparring would go well. She could feel it.

As Magnum invited the guests and made small talk, Karen sat down awkwardly and began her meditation. Chip could play hostess while she prepared. Just, business as usual.

_

As George received the invitation to join Master [member="Karen Roberts"] on Sullust he couldn't help but go. More saber training would be good for the big Nautolan, even if it was just sparring. As he made his way down to the planet in his YT-2400 he prepared his lightsabers for the training to come. He hadn't known Master Roberts long, but had a good time one the last mission they worked together on. He was sure this one wouldn't be any different.

As the ship came to a stop on one of the landing platforms he opened the ramp and made his way down into the firery planet, however expecting a large heatwave to come over his cool Nautolan body it was somewhat the opposite, it was also quite cool. The shields protecting the city had done a great job at cooling and keeping the city at a nice temperature, well at least as far as George was concerned.

As he left the ship he noticed two other ships that had just landed with a few people aboard each, however thus far he had not found the Master. George headed over to the other ships looking to make sure he was in the right place.

As he made his way over one of the ships George spoke out. "Hello there fellas. I am looking for Master Roberts? She invited me to this planet for some Lightsaber sparring." As he continued to walk towards the men as he waited for a reply.

Sullust was an important part of one of the newest factions in the galaxy, the Galactic Alliance. In all truth, there were more factions and orders than Audren could keep track of, which was worrying in and of itself. The holomap was constantly being redrawn, allegiances and alliances added. Fortunately, the Galactic Alliance was a part of the Jedi Academy network. Information and access flowed along that network; that information included a potential open spar among Jedi. It would be hosted by Karen Roberts, Jedi Master and head of an apparent para-military group.

Audren had learned in his previous life that spars were one of the better ways to determine skill levels. It was also one of the quickest ways to learn without exposing one's self to actual danger. All facts pointed to the experience being beneficial, so he hopped a freighter and took a ride across the galaxy. The freighter pilot didn't even bother to fully land, just brought the vessel alongside a landing platform and had the Sephi hop out before heading further on his journey.

In spite of the view - magma rivers and the odd erupting flame here and there - the place was fairly cool. That was good, because he hadn't brought clothing for a desert, having neglected to do his homework beforehand. One small carry-all contained an additional set of normal clothes plus workout-specific clothing, some toiletries, and a holdout blaster in an outside pocket. The Padawan also carried a training lightsaber on one hip and a long vibroknife on the other. The knife wouldn't do much against a lightsaber, but it would do a heck of a lot against skin and bone. He had to have at least one true weapon with him.

As he headed for the central hub of the platforms, other ships came in for their own landings, disgorging a menagerie of beings. Some carried lightsabers, others didn't, so he figured they were Jedi from groups more organized than Audren. On the other side of the crowd, Audren spotted a familiar form and color belonging to fellow Silver George O Rourke. Maybe the Sephi wouldn't have to hitchhike his way back after all.

[member="George O Rourke"] | [member="Karen Roberts"]

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Chip smiled as two newcomers approached. The RnR Staff Commander lifted his fuzzy white chin and waved away his friends. He was happy to play hostess since Pherson wasn't here and Roberts was meditating.

"Welcome gentlemen. You two look like you're in the mood for a spar. Ha! Good. I welcome a good challenge. And so does the Commander. She's uh... Well. Robert's is hosting a meditation for the rest of the PMC right now. Otherwise she'd greet you in person. The Commander likes to warm up that way. I'm more old school. I prefer a handshake and a headbutt. ...Sans, headbutt. Just kidding guys."

The large bearded Mandalorian gave a goofy smile and put out his hand to [member="Audren Sykes"] and [member="George O Rourke"] .

"Welcome to Sullust boys. Hope your in the mood for some exercise, yeah? Haha! ...I'm RnR Staff Commander Chip La'Say. But you boys can just call me, Magnum."

He flexed his power armor when he said that. A real Atlas this one. Yep.

"Ah. Them guns, I'm I right? Or am I right? ...Yeah baby! Haha!"

Chip opened his armored arms wide in gesture and beamed a grand smile,

"So! Introductions it is then! ...Who the heck are ya people? Names and titles please. The whole sh'bang will do. Go crazy."

Nearer the far platform, Karen and four of her troopers where kneeling together on one knee. Heads bowed and their voices tied together in the Battlemeld. The ritual beginning of battle for the small company of Z Warriors. Even if this was just going to be another practice. They would make introductions soon.

[member="Karen Roberts"] | [member="Audren Sykes"]

As George was acompanied by another Padawan, someone that he knew of. Ah Padawan Audren Sykes, George remembered, they had gone on a few missions together along with a few other Padawans and various Masters. As they entered they were greeted by a large Mandolorian fella. Magnum was the name he preferred. "Ah hey mate, I am Padawan George O Rourke of the Silver Sanctum Coalition. Its nice to meet you." As he looked at the large guy in front of him as he flexed his muscle. George was a little taken back by the man, being so forwards and all. "Nice guns, but they are no match for these lightsabers though." He replied with a laugh of his own.

For all the people milling around, the Mandalorian primarily took notice of the two Silvers. As they approached, he waved away the people he'd been talking to and faced them directly.

"Welcome gentlemen. You two look like you're in the mood for a spar. Ha! Good. I welcome a good challenge. And so does the Commander. She's uh... Well. Robert's is hosting a meditation for the rest of the PMC right now. Otherwise she'd greet you in person. The Commander likes to warm up that way. I'm more old school. I prefer a handshake and a headbutt. ...Sans, headbutt. Just kidding guys. Welcome to Sullust boys. Hope your in the mood for some exercise, yeah? Haha! ...I'm RnR Staff Commander Chip La'Say. But you boys can just call me, Magnum."

Audren could see right away why this guy was Roberts' chosen meet-and-greet. He was a lot like she was in manner of speaking and had the same generally happy way of looking at things. Whether that was true to the core or only on the surface remained to be seen. He wore Mandalorian armor much like others they'd seen on New Prosperity, though his beard seemed a bit large for a helmet. Speaking of Mandalorians and headbutts, wasn't that how they traditionally greeted each other? People called it the kabob kiss? No, there was a "dorn" in there somewhere. Whatever the case, the man held out his hand for a handshake, and the Padawan met it with a short, firm grip.

Chip - Magnum (there had to be more of a story behind that) - flexed when he named his own moniker, possibly to be amusing, then opened his arms in another welcoming gesture and called for introductions. He even asked for titles, something the Sephi wasn't all too keen on. George replied with name, rank, and faction, then declared that Magnum's 'guns' were no match for a lightsaber with a chuckle. Audren wasn't so sure about that, the man wouldn't be in Roberts' PMC unless he could fight, but spared a smile anyways. He kept his introduction simple, however.

"Audren Sykes. Good to meet you, Magnum."

OOC: Sorry for the wait guys, I didn't forget you.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
"Ha! I like you guys. You're all right."

Chip smiled and stood up taller. This would be a good time. He glanced back to Roberts and the boys. They were just now standing up. Perfect timing.

"Okay fellas. Let's go say hello and get this training session started. Eh? ..Yo Roberts."

Clad in her Minotaur, Roberts came over and gave the Jedi a happy nod.

"Thanks for playing hostess Commander La'say. These two I've met before. O Rourke. Sykes. Welcome to Sullust. You're just in time for some good old fashioned Jedi training. The troops and I were going to have a spar."

"I think that's why they're here Commander. Must have got your invitation."

"Ah. Of course. Well... Let's begin then yes. Jedi Sykes. Jedi Rourke. Do you have a preference in your sparring partners today? Chip here is a Mandalorian Master. I myself am a Neutral Master. And, should you prefer? The rest of my squad has training in various other levels. Apprentice to Knight. So, we should be able to find everyone a good match."

She shrugged,

"Or. You two can simply spar together and I'll give pointers as you finish. Very simple. Very easy. No rush."

[member="Audren Sykes"] [member="George O Rourke"]

As George and Audren made their way over to Master Roberts she greeted the new comers and got down to business quickly. "Nice to see you again Master Roberts, can remember our last meeting, the speeders, the shooting it was nice. But this will be just as fun." George greeting the woman. He had not yet thought too much into who he would like to spar against, so he didn't really mind either way. "I don't mind, a spar is a spar, no matter who it is against. As long as I am improving I don't mind who." He said calmly before turning to look at Audren, waiting for him to reply. Would he want to spar against George? Or against Master Roberts? Or someone else? George didn't know as he then turned to look at magnum the Mando Master then around at the other group of people that had come with Magnum and Roberts, all of them looked like worthy adversaries and George was excited.

Audren returned Roberts' nod, then stood silent as she and Magnum discussed the spar - both clad in armor - discussed the spar. The two Silvers were included after an initial and cursory clarification. Importantly, they were asked who they wanted to spar, given the option of each other, Roberts herself, Chip, or a number of others. Many people would have assumed that they would spar each other given similar ranks and faction.

The Sephi caught the other Padawan's look, returning it for a moment before turning back to the two commanders. He personally didn't agree with George's comment that a 'spar was a spar', as there were certainly some spars that were less than useful. With so many options given though - George, Mandalorian or Neutral masters, apprentices through Knights - this was unlikely to be one of those. Finally he answered, just a couple seconds after the Nautolan had.

"Mix it up, make it a challenge."

For the most part, that was throwing the decision back into Roberts' court. Though the two Padawans had never sparred before, non-faction members would likely assume they had. Thus mixing things up, making challenges would likely be interpreted as 'not sparring each other'. After all, they'd fought alongside each other multiple times. Otherwise it left things open. The two Padawans versus Roberts or Chip, or Roberts and Chip, or mixed teams, or so on and so forth. Numerous possibilities, some of them more interesting than others.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
[member="George O Rourke"]

Robert's clasped her gloves together and gave a nod. Fair enough.

"Chip you'll take Jedi Sykes. Pad 2. I'll practice with Jedi Rourke on Pad 1."

She turned to her other soldiers and gave them the helicopter sign. They knew what to do. As everyone dispersed to grab their gear, Karen rubbed her chin. Busy day.

"So. Jedi Rourke. Is freestyle good for you or do you prefer something more cultural? I'm not a velocities girl myself, but some Jedi swear by it. Preference? Or shall we simply begin?"

Roberts moved to the center of the large starship landing pad and refrained from taking a stance at the moment. She simply withdrew one of her three single hilt sabers and waited for George to specific his favored game type.

___

[member="Audren Sykes"]

Chip gave a beaming smile and nodded to Sykes. Oh yeah. He'd take the pretty one. Ha.

"Okay. Audren right? So. You got a preference on how this goes down buddy? ...I'm, partial to just freestyle myself. Keep it spontaneous, ya know. Easy like."

The large bearded male withdrew his single hilt bone saber and smiled deviantly. He was always game to smash some heads.

"But. Yeah. Since we're different styles though? Gotta put a dampener on those offensive spells. It ain't nice to spar with lightning and fire slipping from our hands, am I right. But? If you wanna jump and stuff. That's cool. I think I can keep up. Haha."

He began moving to the far pad and scratched his beard,

"Preference? No preference? ...Wait. You're not one of those Juyo guys, are ya? Ha! Just kidding."

With the decision made he would first spar against the Master, [member="Karen Roberts"]. He was excited for it, a true challenge, sparring a Master of the force was bound to teach George a thing or two.

"I don't mind, freestyle is good for me. Don't have any preferences." He replied as he made his way to the opposite end of the platform from Master Karen. Grabbing the blue hilt from his belt he was ready. Standing there arms by his side with hilt in hand. It was about to get very interesting.

[member="Audren Sykes"]

Jsc

Disney's Princess

"Very well."

She smiled and swept herself outward. Taking a Form V stance and letting her eyes fall upon the symphony of night. Her spirit traveled into the golden light and her blue blade ignited of it's own accord. An expression of a mere thought. Two fingers she traced along it's fluttering edge. Covering the blade in a old enchantment. Creating not just a beam of plasma shrouded in science but a weapon the dwelled within the wellspring of the Force. A Force Weapon. The unconquerable lighthouse of the Jedi.

"We shall begin." The woman said.

She swept her blade high with a flick of her wrist. Her feet moving with the dance. A conductor to the sound. A master to the moves. Karen closed to melee like a dancing maiden. Soft and weightless. Her body and stance, heavy and strong. Gripping the hilt with two hands she let her arms fall with a rushing of the wind. A small rushing ark that aimed to tap O Rouke right across the forehead with the cut.

Chip La'say, Mandalorian master. So be it, he'd deal. After all, he had voiced his preference for a challenge. The Jedi kept silent as they walked towards the other landing pad in stark difference to the heavily bearded man. He listened though, and examined. The other man carried a lightsaber, a stark-white hilt that reminded the Sephi of bone. And given the man's status, it was most likely a live saber, able to cut through most materials with ease. The man also wore armor; there was a good chance it was Mandalorian Iron so even if Audren had a real blade instead of a training one, his strikes would just skip off of it. To be fair though, the Sephi hadn't ever been in a lightsaber spar before.

Not that he'd be telling anyone that.

Just like he wouldn't be telling the Mandalorian that he couldn't yet throw fire or lightning. He may be able to touch the Force now, but he had yet to learn offensive powers. He'd always been good at what he'd been told was minor precognition that came with combat, and he'd learned how to boost his body with the Force the first day on the job. Since he'd gained access he hadn't been able to learn offensive powers. The sooner the better.

"Freestyle it is. No offensive spells, no Juyo. Ready?"

As they reached the landing pad, Audren replied to the cheery warrior. His voice was not the inflectionless neutral of someone focused purely on the fight, but neither was it the happy tone that Chip used. It was somewhere in the middle. He'd dropped his carry-all at the edge of the platform and pulled his own lightsaber as he stepped onto it. Unlike the Mandalorian's, his was plain metal. Also unlike the other's, his was ignited as soon as it was brought out, revealing a bright blue blade. He didn't hold it in a defensive position, just down by his side, waiting for the Commander's move.

[member="Audren Sykes"] | [member="Karen Roberts"]

With Master Roberts taking the lead she ignited her blade, the blue blade much like his own. Noticing her movement he too ignited the blade, he took no stance, not yet. As Master Roberts picked her stance George spoke. "Good luck." He said with a smile, the Nautolan was limited when it came to lightsaber duels and most of his battles were fought against blaster wielding foes and mindless baboons using the weapons of the Valkyri. This would be different, fighting a Master of the force, someone who knows their weapon like the back of their hand, it would truly be a interesting duel.

As once again Master Roberts made the first move George waited, watching her movements and her swiftness as she moved into melee range. Moments prior to that George brought up a Makashi stance. He would defend, scope out his opponent, find a weak spot and strike. He also thought this would be the best way to learn as much as possible. Well for now at least anyway.

With his lightsaber low and the Master incoming he focused on the incoming strike and reacted. Swiftly rotating his wrist to ark the blade up in front of his face, attempting to parry the first strike. Hopefully this would work, giving him hope for the outcome of this duel.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
[member="Audren Sykes"]

"Heh. Yeah. Let's do this."

Chip smiled and ignited his yellow saber. Practice was good. Well, if you believed Roberts anyway. La'Say was more rifleman than musketeer. Still? If you don't stay sharp? Bad things always happen.

Chip took a slight Form V stance then briskly closed to melee with a dash. He summoned the other-worldly power of the Force to augment his own strength and provide a unique stability to his own footing. Heavy and firm. Weighted and hard. Now in melee distance, his hilt clutched in two hands, he raised the yellow blade high above his head and came across with a fast cut towards Sykes' left temple.

"En garde ye scoundrel! Ha!"

Time to get things moving. Shake things up a bit. Have a little fun with the new guy too.

___

His parry was excellent. Yet her advance began immediately thereafter. Karen took a step forward and cut again, and again, and again for his head. Her weight forward and advancing. Her wrists strong and cutting. Her eyes were to his posture and her thoughts upon the Force. She aimed to push him back, make him loose ground, get inside the softer edges of his guard, and physically pressure him with a constant offensive. This was Form V. Hit, hit, hit, and hit again. Never stop. Never surrender. Endure, endure, and hit again. This was a Jedi Guardian's center.

This was home.

OOC: this time try a defensive action AND an offensive action in the same post George. Parry and riposte. If you fail to use an offensive action during each of your posts? Then, during a real duel your opponent many never allow you the opportunities to squeeze one in at all. *wink*

George's first parry was successful managing to avoid the blade coming in contact with his head. But it didn't stop. Master Roberts continued forward swinging pushing George back. George continued to parry the strike at his head, all the attacks were fluent and precise, but similar in each strike. All were at the same spot with the same motion. George was loosing ground but avoiding the blade at all cost. He was slowly running out of room and knew that he would have to go on the offensive, just as much as he was on the defensive.

George realizing he was running out of room, as he parried another of Master Roberts slices he brought his saber down and thrust it at her midsection. Hopefully turning the tide of the duel. Getting Master on the defensive.

A yellow blade ignited as Chip gave a smile. The man took a stance of some sort - probably a traditional form's stance - then moved to melee distance in a quick burst. Audren felt the Force moving as the other man moved, but paid little attention to it as the duel didn't involve lightning or attacks of the type. Both hands raised the citrine blade, and it was brought down in a strong, fast cut towards the left of the Padawan's head.

Audren chose to dodge rather than block the Mandalorian's attack. He ducked a bit and took two steps forward and to his left, taking him under the taller man's swing and a step further. As he moved, his right arm came up in a simple, slightly-angled slash designed to take the human's arm off. Striking armor wouldn't do any good, but most armors were traditionally weak at the joints. Not that the Sephi's training blade would do much if it hit, maybe sear whatever cloth the man had on under his armor.

The last step put him behind La'Say, and a hundred-eighty degree turn had him facing the other man once again. This time he brought his blade up in both hands, a generic guard position.

Jsc

Disney's Princess

His midsection cut was well aligned and Roberts had to stop her barrage to answer it. Middle guard, hilt low, blade high, she blocked with firm effort. She bent down in her knees to gauge his strength. Weight balanced now. She'd lost her momentum.

She went blade parallel to her chest, elbows up, and leaned deeper into her stance. A deep middle guard and setting herself up to receive his next attack. In the Force she broadcast that she was anticipating to attack him high again. A mental feint. A mind trap for the swordseer and the third eye. In reality she was masking a low sweep in answer to a strong approach.

It was time to see if O Rourke was using too much precognition in his practice. Would he watch her body language with his eyes or would he follow the false breadcrumb trail she was leaving in the Force?

___

[member="Audren Sykes"]

Tactical response. Sykes moved in perfect tandem and with adaptive timing. It made Chip smirk. This was no "new" guy. Nice. La'Say dipped back and flicked his wrist. His blade went low and his body pressed forward, sweeping the blue blade up and away like a rushing current. Letting his shoulders do all of the work. Yet, still smiling that his partner was wise enough to know how to counter so fluidly.

Chip's reset his weight and concentrated on a mental defense. Filling his thoughts with a certain card game and letting the numbers filter into the Force. It would now become much harder to use precognition in order to tell where the large man would be attacking next. Though, you might learn something about Blackjack if you were listening hard enough.

La'Say rushed in again with his blade held high and sharp. However he did not bring it down upon his opponent immediately this time. Chip planned on waiting until Sykes made a counter thrust or positioned a static guard. Then he was bring his blade smashing down in an attempt to overpower him.

If Sykes was very patient however and did not allow the muddled Force Precognition to startle him? He would notice the awaiting motion and Chip's exposed left shoulder.

Master Roberts was just that, a Master. Parrying his strike somewhat easily she took step back balancing herself. Thus destroying her forward movement. It was a good thing for George but this was only the beginning, there was much more to go. As Master Roberts took up her stance, double grip with her blade vertical. George as his defence had held out it was time to get on the offensive. He change to an Ataru stance double handed grip with the blade vertical just to his right. Ready to swing into action.

Throughout the duel the force was strong, swaying and pushing through them both. But this time it spoke to George, as if he was a fly on the wall of Master Roberts mind. She hadn't done this before and George was hesitant to listen to it now. It may give him the extra bit he needs, but the signs shown didn't seem that she was going to make an offensive move at all for the time being. Anyhow, George preferred to feel the battle, notice patterns and body language. He decided to stick with what he felt and left Master Roberts thoughts for dead.

With Master Roberts still waiting George went in swinging at Master Roberts left shoulder. He moved fluently, keeping his head and shoulders steady waiting for the best moment to strike. Doubting she would be so reckless to let it through it was only the beginning of set of moves George was ready to take.

Jsc

Disney's Princess

His partner reached out in a high block, leveling her blade with her shoulders. Good contact, solid defense. There was a shift in her stance as her weight moved higher. Her elbows began to shift upwards as George moved into his next set,

ooc: If you want to combo that's okay. Start with the feint and then move right into your commited strike. Otherwise if you leave it open then your opponent will simply parry, shift, and counter attack. Breaking your momentum, changing their position, and often putting you right back on the defensive. I've left this reply open so you can push through into your next action. *wink*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom