Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On the topic of Canon Items.

The only way this truly affect people is in their own mind.

Nobody is taking away your unique item. You can still use them. Just... now other people can also use these items for their own storyline.

And why not? We all come here to write Star Wars, to experience the lore and setting in the way we have seen the movies, read the books, played the games. Nobody owns a piece of that, nobody has a right to deny another writer the iconic pieces that make Star Wars Star Wars.

That is inherently selfish.

I 'owned' 3 canon items (the Adas holocron, Heart of Graush and Ragnos' Scepter). I have no problem with these changes.... because someone else having fun with these items doesn't affect me at all. People need to get a little bit perspective and realize it ain't just about them. It is about the rest of the board and everyone on it as well. And that doesn't even touch on what Lily said above here. It was an entire endeavor to keep track off, just so people could lay down their claim on something.

This is better.

Reverance said:
[member="Lily Kuhn"]

So no? Not really time consuming?
Updating a spreadsheet and a list on the forum, checking every writer account on the forum to make sure that's still their account so that it's still accurate, as well as juggling that with (then) judging submissions is a lot of extra work that never should have happened.

Keeping track of canon items never should have been a thing, ever.

giphy.gif

[member="Lily Kuhn"]

It really wouldn't be that difficult if you organized it.

Literally just do what we do with the map where you can ask to have your planet shoved on there with the next update. Just have something similar where every time a canon item passes hands, the previous owner just posts "I gave it to this person" and posts a link to the thread, then a staffer can jump on every weekend and spend less than 10 minutes copy pasting names.

I sure as hell don't have the time in my life to commit to keeping such things up to date, so I really couldn't complain if someone else found the task to difficult to keep up. With people's real world priorities, families or hobbies outside of Chaos (Yes they do exist...Somewhere), I've heard from a lot of writers on this site as well as experienced for myself how difficult it is to maintain an enjoyable experience actually posting to IC threads rather than jumping on Chaos and being instantly hit by a horde of administration duties. I'm just going to assume here, I could be completely wrong, but I imagine site staff have similar issues at times where these sort of matters could discourage or eat away at their motivation to actually write on this site and enjoy it, as it's intended.

Again, could be wrong but it's a thought that came to mind when I read over some of the responses here. Sure, it's a special feeling to have an authentic piece that separates you from other characters/writers across the board, but at the end of the day when this is all just a mix of story telling and hand-wavium, as long as we're able to enjoy the freedom of creativity and the writing that we share with other members, this particular issue isn't really all that significant compared to the perks in every other aspect of Chaos (Factions, Codex, Factory etc).

[member="Eldrytch"]
I was in charge of this process before, that was what we did. You're oversimplifying the process, though, especially when comparing it to the map as though it's simple to do the process for the map either.

Gilamar Skirata

The most important step is always the next one
People are okay with everyone having a mega-corp but the minute their items of dubios canon quality (many of which would have been scrap or slag before their characters were a twinkle in their great grandfather's eye) Everyone loses their minds!

Priorities.

I love you all Chaos. :D

[member="Gilamar Skirata"]

As someone who worked hard to make a T6 company, I'm not concerned about the lack of tiers. The only benefit was RM specializations which was only semi-adhered to in the first place.

Saves people random homework to go from T2 to whatever it used to take to make whatever they wanted.

In regards to Canon Items, why not get rid of them all the way? No one can have Obi-Wan's saber or the Soul Saber (Btw, I'm gonna need to see a full Sith Strike Team wielding Soul Sabers for my amusement, someone get on it).

Completely unconcerned with canon items.

[member="Lily Kuhn"]

I didn't mean to make light of what the staff do for the map, it's certainly something beyond my own abilities and I applaud them for their constant work and sacrifice to keep the forums running efficiently.

And I was unaware of the previous attempt, so you'll have to excuse me xD. But yea, I'm still relatively sad to see the concept of unique items go, and thought I'd try to offer an alternative, which wasn't one at all it turns out. But! I'm sure we'll all get used to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom