Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On Body Horror

I'm sure by now that anyone who comes across my threads knows I use the concept of body horror in many of them. I like a lot of sci-fi action horror in my threads so it was a natural fit.

What I would like to know is how effective have I been in employing it. Does it become too distracting at points? Could I use more of it? Anyone with the time, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
If it comes from a bright mind, I don't mind the dark. :p

Speaking from experience, I've found all our writing together to be filled with moments both spectacular and moments still invisible. Like splashes of feeling and emotion on a canvas that is sometimes painted black on black. A sharp desire to see your vision fulfilled to it's fullest. Yet. Still. Oft times I feel like you're trying desperately to paint with only one color. Lol.

My opinion. If the scene needs edge? Go for it. Stick the landing. Wow the judge. And your audience. But. That said. If it feels like squick. It's probably squick. So don't be squick. Cut it out, throw it away, and start fresh. Use a sharper contrast rather than a edgier knife. Cut deeper. Sure. But cut it clean. If it's messy, you're no surgeon or a dancer. Never be afraid to dance through the dark. But the rhythm and motions must be choreographed the same in the night as in the day. It must serve it's purpose to your audience. A dance performed to be seen. Otherwise you're just writing for yourself. An audience of one.

I'm super guilty of this! Lol. And so is fan writing as a whole. But if you love it. Do it. Just remember that greatly beloved books were often written to be read. To be experienced. Sometimes respectfully. Sometimes not. But the best! The very best. Were always deliberate.

You got this. :D

I haven't written with you enough yet. So general thoughts from me.

If it's a distraction yes. It's distracting.
If it's a part of the plot. It's the story.

Bit binary that but true. In reality, there are degrees of anything. Too much, for example, oversaturates and loses the point of writing it and any definition or thing you were trying to say. Unless distraction is what you are going for, say on an alien world that nobody has seen before. This can be applied to anything, for example, if I write a festival or a scene that is all-encompassing I want it to be distracting. If I write a cake, I don't need the room to be cake.

A wound is good for example. Five wounds and if the character isn't on the ground or sagging badly, it diminishes each. If the goal is to make each wound look superficial then mission accomplished, but if it's to raise tension then mission failed. Zombies, biological creations, or just regular npc's same thing. 1,000 zombies diminish the impact of each individual one on the scene, but if that is the goal to simulate a horde's effect, rather than a personal struggle in a room with an assailant, it might be what you are picturing.

Hope that helps. It all depends on what you are aiming for. Enjoying writing with you currently for what it is worth, and hope for more threads :)
All the best.

Kai and Gerda

K
Pretty much agree with what everyone else has said. I like your writing a lot and enjoy the crazier aspects with the biots and shapeshifting and all that good stuff. I can see how it could be an issue for some people but I think you've handled it well.

Do whatever serves the plot best. If you find yourself hesitating to go too far, stop and consider what you're trying to accomplish and make sure whatever you're questioning will help that goal.

It's been said that the main problem most writers have is not cutting out enough of their work, leaving all the superfluous and overindulgent bits in. Don't be afraid to cut, but also follow your instincts if you think leaving it in will work better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom